Author Topic: How to be a Navy 0-6 and flush your career down the toilet  (Read 6075 times)

MillCreek

• Skippy The Wonder Dog
  • friend
  • APS Risk Manager
How to be a Navy 0-6 and flush your career down the toilet
« on: January 02, 2011, 08:07:26 PM »
http://www.foxnews.com/us/2011/01/02/navy-probe-lewd-videos-shown-carrier-crew/?test=latestnews

These videos were made when he was the XO and he is now the CO.  Wonder how long that duty tour will last, now that word is out. Interesting that it took four years for the word to get out.

Quote from: Angel Eyes on August 09, 2018, 01:56:15 AM
You are one lousy risk manager.

vaskidmark

• National Anthem Snob
  • friends
  • WTF?
Re: How to be a Navy 0-6 and flush your career down the toilet
« Reply #1 on: January 02, 2011, 08:45:06 PM »
Not only is it a court martial offense, it can carry serious incarceration time.

I'm thinking the Navy has had just about enough embarassment from its flyboys to consider imposing some serious punishment fairly well down the chain of command - certainly the Chief Boatswain and both the Ship's and Flight Surgeons stand responsible for not having reported the matter at the time it was first broadcast (notwithstanding any follow-up broadcasts).  I'm not sure but I have reason to believe even the Marine Contingent commander may be on the block - at least for not reporting it through his own, separate, chain.

Looks like this one is not going to get swept as far under the rug as the prostelytizing issue at the Air Force Academy.  I just wonder how far they are going to take the re-education of officers & senior NCOs on the duty to report inappropriate behavior.  IIRC everybody at the AFA had to attend a lecture and had said fact entered in their service/training record.

stay safe.
If cowardly and dishonorable men sometimes shoot unarmed men with army pistols or guns, the evil must be prevented by the penitentiary and gallows, and not by a general deprivation of a constitutional privilege.

Hey you kids!! Get off my lawn!!!

They keep making this eternal vigilance thing harder and harder.  Protecting the 2nd amendment is like playing PACMAN - there's no pause button so you can go to the bathroom.

kgbsquirrel

• APS Photoshop God
  • friend
  • Bill, slayer of threads.
« Reply #2 on: January 02, 2011, 09:35:34 PM »
My completely unqualified opinion is that this smells like some good ole political backstabbing. If someone really was concerned about this, they would have turned over the video four years ago when it happened. Instead they sat on the video and waited until the guy was the CO of perhaps the single most famous ship in the US Navy before airing his dirty laundry.

HeroHog

• Technical Site Pig
  • Administrator
  • It can ALWAYS get worse!
    • FaceButt Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 02, 2011, 10:04:52 PM »
My foster brother was the flight commander on the Enterprise YEARS ago before this. This will hurt him inside...
I might not last very long or be very effective but I'll be a real pain in the ass for a minute!
MOLON LABE!

Sindawe

• friend
  • Vashneesht
« Reply #4 on: January 02, 2011, 10:16:53 PM »
The star of the videos, made in 2006 and 2007, is a former Top Gun pilot who now commands the same ship, the Norfolk-based USS Enterprise...opened the shower curtain on women pretending to bathe together.

What?  He IS the Captain of the Enterprise.  =D

I think kbgsquirrel is dead on the mark here.
I am free, no matter what rules surround me. If I find them tolerable, I tolerate them; if I find them too obnoxious, I break them. I am free because I know that I alone am morally responsible for everything I do.

HankB

• friend
« Reply #5 on: January 03, 2011, 09:40:36 AM »
Elementary and high school kids post pictures and videos of themselves behaving, well, stupidly all the time. But they're kids.

I'm amazed that a supposedly intelligent adult - the XO of a major warship - would go ahead and make these videos in the first place, knowing the role that politics plays in advancement. And then to broadcast them to the crew - where he really doesn't know who is watching - over CCTV . . .  :facepalm:   (What, he never heard of Tailhook?)
« Last Edit: January 03, 2011, 12:18:37 PM by HankB »
Trump won in 2016. Democrats haven't been so offended since Republicans came along and freed their slaves.
Sometimes I wonder if the world is being run by smart people who are putting us on, or by imbeciles who really mean it. - Mark Twain
Government is a broker in pillage, and every election is a sort of advance auction in stolen goods. - H.L. Mencken
Patriotism is supporting your country all the time, and your government when it deserves it. - Mark Twain

vaskidmark

• National Anthem Snob
  • friends
  • WTF?
« Reply #6 on: January 03, 2011, 10:19:45 AM »
MSM is now asking why his former commander did nothing back when it happened.

Is it possible MSM is starting to get it?  Or are they merely reacting to the gay-bashing and profanity elements?

stay safe.
If cowardly and dishonorable men sometimes shoot unarmed men with army pistols or guns, the evil must be prevented by the penitentiary and gallows, and not by a general deprivation of a constitutional privilege.

Hey you kids!! Get off my lawn!!!

They keep making this eternal vigilance thing harder and harder.  Protecting the 2nd amendment is like playing PACMAN - there's no pause button so you can go to the bathroom.

AZRedhawk44

• friends
« Reply #7 on: January 03, 2011, 10:45:56 AM »
My completely unqualified opinion is that this smells like some good ole political backstabbing.

Yep.  This is the MSM's method of backing Obama's play on repeal of Don't Ask Don't Tell.

Quote from: article
It's not immediately known why the videos are surfacing now.

Yeah, right. ;/

The release is timed to maximize fallout on military brass so that Obama can have a greater political effect on command structure.  And it WILL be exploited to maximum extent, to remove or embarrass as many Reagan/Bush1/Bush2 senior officers as possible, and elevate Clinton-era officers.
"But whether the Constitution really be one thing, or another, this much is certain - that it has either authorized such a government as we have had, or has been powerless to prevent it. In either case, it is unfit to exist."
--Lysander Spooner

I reject your authoritah!

Jamisjockey

• Booze-fueled paragon of pointless cruelty and wanton sadism
  • friend
  • Your mom sends me care packages
« Reply #8 on: January 03, 2011, 11:07:17 AM »
Could have been worse.
When I was in the Marines, we had an EA6B auger in the Chocolate mountains range.  XO, Safety officer and some others on board (4 seat aircraft).  IIRC the Squadron XO was the pilot, but the years make the full details fuzzy. 
They hit an object, likely a cactus! and augered in, killing all on board.
JD

The price of a lottery ticket seems to be the maximum most folks are willing to risk toward the dream of becoming a one-percenter. “Robert Hollis”

freakazoid

• friend
« Reply #9 on: January 03, 2011, 01:52:08 PM »
Just saw the video on youtube. People are seriously getting all huffy about that? Sounds like someone should fill out a hurt feelings report.  :'(
"so I ended up getting the above because I didn't want to make a whole production of sticking something between my knees and cranking. To me, the cranking on mine is pretty effortless, at least on the coarse setting. Maybe if someone has arthritis or something, it would be more difficult for them." - Ben

"I see a rager at least once a week." - brimic

Hawkmoon

• friend
« Reply #10 on: January 03, 2011, 02:36:54 PM »
Remember, this video was brought to your screen by the same U.S. Navy that produced the Tailhook "scandal" several years ago. No doubt this particular officer, as a Top Gun pilot, was a participant in many Tailhook events, probably including THE Tailhook event.

There was a lot of ink wasted on how the Navy was going to clean up their act after that, too.

Nothing has changed.
- - - - - - - - - - - - -
100% Politically Incorrect by Design

Strings

• APS Pimp
  • friend
« Reply #11 on: January 03, 2011, 03:15:34 PM »
No Hawkmoon: they DID all sorts of things. I remember attending all KINDS of "sexual harassment" trainings as a junior enlisted aboard the Duluth.

Problem is, everything they did was aimed at enlisted (as usual). Nevermind that the offenders were all officers...
No Child Should Live In Fear

What was that about a pearl handled revolver and someone from New Orleans again?

Screw it: just autoclave the planet (thanks Birdman)

Zardozimo Oprah Bannedalas

• Webley Juggler
  • friend
  • All I got is a fistful of shekels
« Reply #12 on: January 03, 2011, 03:17:14 PM »
Problem is, everything they did was aimed at enlisted (as usual). Nevermind that the offenders were all officers...
Cool. Trickle-up sensitivity training.  :laugh:

AJ Dual

• friends
  • Shoe Ballistics Inc.
« Reply #13 on: January 03, 2011, 03:19:02 PM »
My completely unqualified opinion is that this smells like some good ole political backstabbing. If someone really was concerned about this, they would have turned over the video four years ago when it happened. Instead they sat on the video and waited until the guy was the CO of perhaps the single most famous ship in the US Navy before airing his dirty laundry.

I agree, but there is still the issue of his judgment in giving them the ammunition.

It's an interesting commentary on human nature that someone able to maintain the mental stamina to fly a fighter plane, and eventually get the command of the Navy's flagship (the Enterprise is, no?) but still make those videos is...

Well, I don't know what that says.  =|

But peer pressure, or worse, the desire to be "ahead of the curve" and show off and be one of the "cool kids" is a dang strong human impulse. When this same instinct would play itself out in cave-days as "Ug... Me throw Mammoth's junk at chief's daughter... LOL!" probably had some great team-building aspects back then. In a modern technological bureaucratically organized military... not so much.

Honestly, mal-adapted caveman instincts in the face of modern society is my go-to explanation for most all dumb/inexplicable human behavior, come to think of it.  =D

I promise not to duck.

Bogie

• friend
  • Hunkered in South St. Louis, right by Route 66
    • Third Rate Pundit
« Reply #14 on: January 03, 2011, 03:23:55 PM »
The military needs cavemen throwbacks who will cheerfully break other people's things...

Blog under construction

AJ Dual

• friends
  • Shoe Ballistics Inc.
« Reply #15 on: January 03, 2011, 03:50:03 PM »
The military needs cavemen throwbacks who will cheerfully break other people's things...

Indeed, but they didn't have viral videos of non-combat antics that get the politicals who sign the Navy's checks panties in a wad either.  :laugh:
I promise not to duck.

MicroBalrog

• friend
« Reply #16 on: January 03, 2011, 03:53:08 PM »
Just saw the video on youtube. People are seriously getting all huffy about that? Sounds like someone should fill out a hurt feelings report.  :'(

This man speaks truth.
Destroy The Enemy in Hand-to-Hand Combat.

"...tradition and custom becomes intertwined and are a strong coercion which directs the society upon fixed lines, and strangles liberty. " ~ William Graham Sumner

roo_ster

• Kakistocracy--It's What's For Dinner.
  • friend
  • Hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats
« Reply #17 on: January 03, 2011, 06:47:48 PM »
Today's US Military:  The worst of both left & right wing puritanical impulses and taboos.
Regards,

roo_ster

“Fallacies do not cease to be fallacies because they become fashions.”
----G.K. Chesterton

MicroBalrog

• friend
« Reply #18 on: January 03, 2011, 06:49:09 PM »
Today's government US Military:  The worst of both left & right wing puritanical impulses and taboos.

There, fixed.
Destroy The Enemy in Hand-to-Hand Combat.

"...tradition and custom becomes intertwined and are a strong coercion which directs the society upon fixed lines, and strangles liberty. " ~ William Graham Sumner

AmbulanceDriver

• Junior Rocketeer
  • friends
« Reply #19 on: January 03, 2011, 07:28:57 PM »
Yeah, for once I'm kinda agreeing with Fistful (I know, I KNOW, ok???).  Frankly, what I saw was an XO who was trying to make things entertaining for the 6000 or so 18-(however old the oldest person on that ship was) people on board the ship.  High stress environment (warship in a war zone), lots of work, lots of DANGEROUS work, and you need to have some way of decompressing. 

So long as all participants were willing participants, and watching said videos was not mandatory, I don't see the harm. 
Are you a cook, or a RIFLEMAN?  Find out at Appleseed!

http://www.appleseedinfo.org

"For some many people, attempting to process a logical line of thought brings up the blue screen of death." -Blakenzy

Hawkmoon

• friend
« Reply #20 on: January 03, 2011, 09:09:57 PM »

I rest my case.
- - - - - - - - - - - - -
100% Politically Incorrect by Design

Strings

• APS Pimp
  • friend
« Reply #21 on: January 03, 2011, 09:16:17 PM »
What... your case is getting tired? >:D
No Child Should Live In Fear

What was that about a pearl handled revolver and someone from New Orleans again?

Screw it: just autoclave the planet (thanks Birdman)

Perd Hapley

• Superstar of the Internet
  • friend
  • My prepositions are on/in
« Reply #22 on: January 03, 2011, 10:04:42 PM »
Yeah, for once I'm kinda agreeing with Fistful (I know, I KNOW, ok???). 

Your old pal fistful here, to inform you that you are agreeing with freakazoid. This is my first post in the thread. Close call for you there!
"Doggies are angel babies!" -- my wife

Harold Tuttle

• Professor Chromedome
  • friend
"The true mad scientist does not make public appearances! He does not wear the "Hello, my name is.." badge!
He strikes from below like a viper or on high like a penny dropped from the tallest building around!
He only has one purpose--Do bad things to good people! Mit science! What good is science if no one gets hurt?!"

freakazoid

• friend
« Reply #24 on: January 05, 2011, 12:58:41 AM »
Your old pal fistful here, to inform you that you are agreeing with freakazoid. This is my first post in the thread. Close call for you there!

Silence! My influence is growing,
"so I ended up getting the above because I didn't want to make a whole production of sticking something between my knees and cranking. To me, the cranking on mine is pretty effortless, at least on the coarse setting. Maybe if someone has arthritis or something, it would be more difficult for them." - Ben

"I see a rager at least once a week." - brimic