Author Topic: 4000 rounds  (Read 4250 times)

AZRedhawk44

• friends
4000 rounds
« on: January 02, 2011, 08:17:48 PM »
I had my first malfunction in my XD9 after 4000 rounds.

Light primer strike.

I continued the shooting for the day after a brief inspection, and I noticed that the loaded chamber indicator was not resetting to flush with an empty chamber.  No more malfs the rest of the day.

Took it home and did my first detail-strip of the slide.  Removed the roll pins that hold the LCI in place and the firing pin as well.

A metric ton o' crud came out of the firing pin channel.  And there was some crusty soot/lead deposits under the LCI after disassembly.  Plenty enough stuff to start impeding proper impact.  I can see a visible difference before/after on firing pin protrusion.

The last ~2000 or so rounds have all been lead reloads with a tendency to smoke and spray lead all over the chamber and breech face, so I probably should tear-down the upper assembly every 1000 rounds or so.  Frankly, all the roll pins in the slide scared me from doing it until absolutely mandatory.  Only other guns I've done it to was a Glock 21 I used to own, mostly just out of curiosity at around 2500 rounds, and both my Colt 1911's for extractor tuning.

How often do you guys do a complete slide tear-down?
"But whether the Constitution really be one thing, or another, this much is certain - that it has either authorized such a government as we have had, or has been powerless to prevent it. In either case, it is unfit to exist."
--Lysander Spooner

I reject your authoritah!

seeker_two

• friend
  • In short, most intelligence is false.
Re: 4000 rounds
« Reply #1 on: January 02, 2011, 08:27:04 PM »
[THR "Tactical Expert"] Any gun that malfunctions like that after just 4000 rounds without cleaning is a POS and should be melted for scrap...everyone knows that JMB's 1911's can do ten times that much and only need to be wiped down with a dirty rag afterwards..... [/THR "Tactical Expert"]

;/

Actually, that's a great record, and it shows the need for a detail strip/clean for any gun. Gives me a lot of confidence in my XDsc and makes me think hard about buying another one to match.....  :cool:
Impressed yet befogged, they grasped at his vivid leading phrases, seeing only their surface meaning, and missing the deeper current of his thought.

geronimotwo

• friend
« Reply #2 on: January 02, 2011, 08:29:24 PM »
4000 rnds,  not bad.

i will strip down a gun right after i buy it, and then not worry about it until it is a problem.  the only exception is my carry piece,  which gets done about evry 500 rds or so.
make the world idiot proof.....and you will have a world full of idiots. -g2

AZRedhawk44

• friends
« Reply #3 on: January 02, 2011, 08:43:02 PM »
I don't mean to imply that I didn't clean the gun at all in 4000 rounds...

I have been doing a basic disassembly and cleaning every 200 to 500 rounds.  I went about 700 rounds once without cleaning just to see how far it could go without a malfunction, and I decided that anything after the ~700 round point was just asking for trouble, as well as unrealistic expectations.  There's no way that I would demand a pistol to shoot 500+ rounds without at least a basic wipe-down and re-lube.
"But whether the Constitution really be one thing, or another, this much is certain - that it has either authorized such a government as we have had, or has been powerless to prevent it. In either case, it is unfit to exist."
--Lysander Spooner

Doggy Daddy

• Poobah
  • friend
  • From the saner side of Las Vegas
« Reply #4 on: January 02, 2011, 08:43:28 PM »
This:

from Harbor Freight for about $70.

Field strip the slide, run it through the cleaner, then blow dry it with a compressor.  Re-lube as you like, reassemble, and shoot.

DD
Would you exchange
a walk-on part in a war
for a lead role in a cage?
-P.F.

seeker_two

• friend
« Reply #5 on: January 02, 2011, 09:22:54 PM »
This:

What solution do you use in it?....
Impressed yet befogged, they grasped at his vivid leading phrases, seeing only their surface meaning, and missing the deeper current of his thought.

Doggy Daddy

• Poobah
  • friend
« Reply #6 on: January 02, 2011, 09:25:47 PM »
Water and a touch of dish soap.  If warranted, I'll run a bore snake through the barrel afterwards until I'm satisfied.  I've done XDs, Glocks, a Walther p22 and several revolvers.  I'm very pleased with the results.

DD

eta:  I believe wifey has run every bit of jewelry she owns through it, and several knick-knacks etc.  It sits on the kitchen counter with the toaster, coffee maker, and all the other small appliances.  Every part of the guns I've listed have been in the cleaner except the wood grips from one revolver.  Oh, the revolvers all have been through it detail stripped. I did that the first time.  Subsequent times I'm good for just taking off the grips so the crap can wash out.
« Last Edit: January 02, 2011, 09:38:38 PM by Doggy Daddy »
Would you exchange
a walk-on part in a war
-P.F.

lee n. field

• friend
  • tinpot megalomaniac, Paulbot, hardware goon
« Reply #7 on: January 02, 2011, 10:01:10 PM »
How often do you guys do a complete slide tear-down?

Of my XD?  I have yet to.  Given that I mostly shoot filthy hand cast lead through it, I probably should.

On the Glock I sometimes do it just to gawk at how trivial it is to do.

Others?  The Makarov, when I had it (just traded off my last one), was another easy one, and you really want to keep that firing pin channel clean.   
In thy presence is fulness of joy.
At thy right hand pleasures for evermore.

Jim147

• friends
« Reply #8 on: January 02, 2011, 10:17:53 PM »
I've never done a full tear down on my XD. I did a little smoothing when I got it and I do spray out the firing pin and other slide parts every time I clean it.

jim
Sometimes we carry more weight then we owe.
And sometimes goes on and on and on.

BAH-WEEP-GRAAAGHNAH WHEEP NI-NI BONG

Monkeyleg

• friend
  • Tattaglia is a pimp.
    • http://www.gunshopfinder.com
« Reply #9 on: January 02, 2011, 10:36:31 PM »

Doggy Daddy

• Poobah
  • friend
« Reply #10 on: January 02, 2011, 11:08:36 PM »
Would you exchange
a walk-on part in a war
-P.F.

RoadKingLarry

• friends
« Reply #11 on: January 02, 2011, 11:14:08 PM »
reloads with a tendency to smoke and spray lead all over the chamber and breech face

I'd be looking at my reloads for the cause of that.
If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or your arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that you were our countrymen.

Samuel Adams

gunsmith

• I forgot to get vaccinated!
  • friend
  • I'm sorry, Dave. I'm afraid I can't do that.
« Reply #12 on: January 02, 2011, 11:17:56 PM »
I thought it was a slow cooker.

IDK what the heck it is ... some one fill me in?
Politicians and bureaucrats are considered productive if they swarm the populace like a plague of locust, devouring all substance in their path and leaving a swath of destruction like a firestorm. The technical term is "bipartisanship".
Rocket Man: "The need for booster shots for the immunized has always been based on the science.  Political science, not medical science."

Doggy Daddy

• Poobah
  • friend
« Reply #13 on: January 03, 2011, 12:20:09 AM »

IDK what the heck it is ... some one fill me in?

It's an ultrasonic cleaner.  You puts yer stuff in the water and it vibrates all the crap off'n it.  It's like an extra large jewelry cleaner.

DD
Would you exchange
a walk-on part in a war
-P.F.

Monkeyleg

• friend
  • Tattaglia is a pimp.
« Reply #14 on: January 03, 2011, 12:31:23 AM »
It's an ultrasonic cleaner.  You puts yer stuff in the water and it vibrates all the crap off'n it.  It's like an extra large jewelry cleaner.

I know that, but it looked like a slow cooker at first. Maybe I'll try making beef stew using ultrasonics.

Doggy Daddy

• Poobah
  • friend
« Reply #15 on: January 03, 2011, 12:33:34 AM »
I know that, but it looked like a slow cooker at first. Maybe I'll try making beef stew using ultrasonics.

They specifically do not recommend putting your meat in that machine.

DD
Would you exchange
a walk-on part in a war
-P.F.

seeker_two

• friend
« Reply #16 on: January 03, 2011, 06:06:59 AM »

That's good advice no matter what you're talking about....  ;)

Monkeyleg

• friend
  • Tattaglia is a pimp.
« Reply #17 on: January 03, 2011, 09:55:22 AM »

Hmmm. Ultra-sonic vibrations? I don't know...

Jamisjockey

• Booze-fueled paragon of pointless cruelty and wanton sadism
  • friend
  • Your mom sends me care packages
« Reply #18 on: January 03, 2011, 10:04:15 AM »
I need me one of those.  And not for my meat.
JD

The price of a lottery ticket seems to be the maximum most folks are willing to risk toward the dream of becoming a one-percenter. “Robert Hollis”

AZRedhawk44

• friends
« Reply #19 on: January 03, 2011, 10:24:43 AM »
I'd be looking at my reloads for the cause of that.

They're fairly low pressure with a lighter charge of Titegroup.  Probably not getting very good case expansion/obturation in the chamber. 

Titegroup is a fast burning powder and going higher on the charge will result in increased barrel leading, so I probably should change to a slower burning powder.  I've used AA#7 in the past for 9mm and really liked it for that caliber from my CZ-75 (never tried it in the XD though), but I did NOT like it for .45acp.  Way too much fireball and bark in pistols, and out of my Camp 45 it would spray semi-burnt powder granules into my face while shooting (I'm a lefty and the ejection port is right in front of my nose on the Camp 45). 

Considering I reload for volume and not necessarily anal-retentive precision (minute of steel plate is fine), I'd rather tear down the slide every 1k rounds or so, than change powder in my measure when switching between 9mm/.38special/.45acp on my SDB press.

Anyone able to suggest a powder in-between Titegroup and AA#7 for burn rate suitable to lead reloads in 9mm/.38special/.45acp?
--Lysander Spooner

Doggy Daddy

• Poobah
  • friend
« Reply #20 on: January 03, 2011, 12:33:42 PM »
Hmmm. Ultra-sonic vibrations? I don't know...

Something about seperating the marrow from the inside of the bone.  Probably would not be healthy.

DD
Would you exchange
a walk-on part in a war
-P.F.

CNYCacher

• friend
« Reply #21 on: January 03, 2011, 01:50:55 PM »
We have an ultrasonic humidifier for the kids.

Inside, there is a place that a sealed water chamber drains into, it makes a little pool of water about an inch deep.  At the bottom of the pool is the ultrasonic vibration device, which I think is some kind of piezoelectric disk.    As you tun up the intensity, the surface of the water first begins to ripple, then forms a cone in a kind of standing wave, then it starts to generate a mist emanating from what I can only imagine is the focal point of the wave, where water is being atomized by the vibrations.  If you turn it up to full intensity, a LOT of mist is produced, as well as a few water droplets popping off here and there in various directions.

Curious, I wanted to feel the vibrations in the water, so I touched the pad of my finger to the surface.  This stopped the mist.  There was nothing at first, and then there was a rapidly growing feeling of pain as if a widening needle was being shoved through my finger.  I pulled my hand back and inspected my finger.  There was no injury, and the pain subsided immediately.  I tried it a few more times, very quickly.  It was quite strange how the pain grows from nothing and gets more intense over time.  1 sec and it is uncomfortable.  2 sec and any normal person would pull their hand back.  I imagine 3 seconds and beyond would be excruciating.

Thus I have no interest putting any kind of meat in an ultrasonic cleanser.

On two occasions, I have been asked [by members of Parliament], "Pray, Mr. Babbage, if you put into the machine wrong figures, will the right answers come out?" I am not able to rightly apprehend the kind of confusion of ideas that could provoke such a question.
Charles Babbage

AZRedhawk44

• friends
« Reply #22 on: January 03, 2011, 02:26:18 PM »
It was quite strange how the pain grows from nothing and gets more intense over time.  1 sec and it is uncomfortable.  2 sec and any normal person would pull their hand back.  I imagine 3 seconds and beyond would be excruciating.

"Put your right hand in the box."

"What's in the box?"

"Pain...Stop!  Put your hand in the box.  I hold at your neck a Gom Jibbar.  This one kills only animals."

http://video.google.com/videoplay?docid=7069651595522537732#

Put your hand back in, and chant this:

I must not fear.  Fear is the mind killer.  Fear is the Little Death that brings Total Obliteration.  I will face my fear.  I will permit it to pass over me and through me.  And when it has gone past I will turn the inner eye to see its path. Where the fear has gone there will be nothing. Only I will remain.
« Last Edit: January 03, 2011, 02:29:43 PM by AZRedhawk44 »
--Lysander Spooner

AZRedhawk44

• friends
« Reply #23 on: January 05, 2011, 11:10:17 AM »

Anyone able to suggest a powder in-between Titegroup and AA#7 for burn rate suitable to lead reloads in 9mm/.38special/.45acp?

Anyone?
--Lysander Spooner

Fly320s

• friend
  • Formerly, Arthur, King of the Britons
« Reply #24 on: January 05, 2011, 01:40:59 PM »
Bullseye?  Win231?  BlueDot?

I don't have my manuals in front of me.

I use Titegroup in 9mm, 40sw, and 45acp, so I am partial to that.
Islamic sex dolls.  Do they blow themselves up?