Poll

How would you deal with someone wielding a knife in a wheelchair?

Beat somehow? stick club?
4 (15.4%)
Shoot
4 (15.4%)
Shoot in back
0 (0%)
Mace
1 (3.8%)
Taze
5 (19.2%)
Ram with cruiser
5 (19.2%)
Throw a blanket party
7 (26.9%)

Total Members Voted: 26

Author Topic: So when is it a good idea to shoot someone in a wheelchair in the back?  (Read 8621 times)

never_retreat

• Head Muckety Muck
  • friend
If you listen the first shot is from the shotgun O(supposed bean bag)the second two were from a pistol. It looks like the perp was turned for the second shot.
http://newsone.com/nation/casey-gane-mccalla/video-surfaces-of-san-francisco-police-shooting-man-in-wheelchair/

I needed a mod to change my signature because the concept of "family friendly" eludes me.
Just noticed that a mod changed my signature. How long ago was that?
A few months-mods

seeker_two

• friend
  • In short, most intelligence is false.
Re: So when is it a good idea to shoot someone in a wheelchair in the back?
« Reply #1 on: January 06, 2011, 09:36:32 PM »
You forgot the detcord option....  =|
Impressed yet befogged, they grasped at his vivid leading phrases, seeing only their surface meaning, and missing the deeper current of his thought.

AZRedhawk44

• friends
« Reply #2 on: January 06, 2011, 09:39:12 PM »
I think it's well known here and elsewhere that I don't have a lot of love for the modern Police State, but this guy in the wheelchair was just stoopid.

I don't know what precipitated this confrontation, but 4 cops had the drop on him and were 15+ feet away from him (outside of the physical range of a handicapped person in a wheelchair)... so he draws... a knife?

1.  Lose the draw contest
2.  Be a cripple
3.  Draw a knife
4.  ???
5.  Profit

Nah... doesn't add up.

Shooting:  not necessary for officer safety in this case, but perhaps for society's safety.

The wheelchair fella appeared to be nucking futs.
"But whether the Constitution really be one thing, or another, this much is certain - that it has either authorized such a government as we have had, or has been powerless to prevent it. In either case, it is unfit to exist."
--Lysander Spooner

I reject your authoritah!

Phantom Warrior

• friend
« Reply #3 on: January 06, 2011, 09:46:06 PM »
What's to keep them from knocking the crap out of his arm with a baton?  He's not exactly going to be moving fast in a wheel chair.  Especially if they can come up from the side.  Or yeah, mace him and then baton him.

It just doesn't seem like a slow moving guy in a wheel chair with a knife is a problem that couldn't be resolved without shooting him right off the bat. 

AJ Dual

• friends
  • Shoe Ballistics Inc.
« Reply #4 on: January 06, 2011, 09:52:46 PM »
Maybe I'd throw a broomstick in his wheels.  =)
I promise not to duck.

Jamisjockey

• Booze-fueled paragon of pointless cruelty and wanton sadism
  • friend
  • Your mom sends me care packages
« Reply #5 on: January 06, 2011, 09:55:01 PM »
Really?  Because he's just going to run around stabbing people from his wheelchair?  Taser much? Pepper spray much? 
JD

The price of a lottery ticket seems to be the maximum most folks are willing to risk toward the dream of becoming a one-percenter. “Robert Hollis”

zxcvbob

• friend
« Reply #6 on: January 06, 2011, 10:05:35 PM »
It just doesn't seem like a slow moving guy in a wheel chair with a knife is a problem that couldn't be resolved without shooting him right off the bat.
What's the fun in that?   [popcorn]
"It's good, though..."

Tallpine

• friends
  • Grumpy Old Grandpa
« Reply #7 on: January 06, 2011, 10:05:56 PM »
Ya think he'll be crippled from the gunshot wound ?   :P
Freedom is a heavy load, a great and strange burden for the spirit to undertake. It is not easy. It is not a gift given, but a choice made, and the choice may be a hard one. The road goes upward toward the light; but the laden traveller may never reach the end of it.  - Ursula Le Guin

never_retreat

• Head Muckety Muck
  • friend
« Reply #8 on: January 06, 2011, 10:11:44 PM »
Ya think he'll be crippled from the gunshot wound ?   :P
One of the guys I work with thought the radio said he was dead.
Really?  Because he's just going to run around stabbing people from his wheelchair?  Taser much? Pepper spray much? 
I think the problem with the taser is that its reserved for the elderly and little kids.
I needed a mod to change my signature because the concept of "family friendly" eludes me.
A few months-mods

Tallpine

• friends
  • Grumpy Old Grandpa
« Reply #9 on: January 06, 2011, 10:15:33 PM »
One of the guys I work with thought the radio said he was dead.

Article said he was expected to survive.
Freedom is a heavy load, a great and strange burden for the spirit to undertake. It is not easy. It is not a gift given, but a choice made, and the choice may be a hard one. The road goes upward toward the light; but the laden traveller may never reach the end of it.  - Ursula Le Guin

never_retreat

• Head Muckety Muck
  • friend
« Reply #10 on: January 06, 2011, 10:19:41 PM »
Article said he was expected to survive.
Which is worse for the cops? Dead? or alive? I guess that depends if he has family.
A few months-mods

zxcvbob

• friend
« Reply #11 on: January 07, 2011, 12:47:08 AM »
Why can't I vote for more than one choice in the poll?   ;/
"It's good, though..."

cassandra and sara's daddy

• friends
« Reply #12 on: January 07, 2011, 01:40:19 AM »
the comment 2:40 or so in was good

It is much more powerful to seek Truth for one's self.  Seeing and hearing that others seem to have found it can be a motivation.  With me, I was drawn because of much error and bad judgment on my part. Confronting one's own errors and bad judgment is a very life altering situation.  Confronting the errors and bad judgment of others is usually hypocrisy.

by someone older and wiser than I

cassandra and sara's daddy

• friends
It is much more powerful to seek Truth for one's self.  Seeing and hearing that others seem to have found it can be a motivation.  With me, I was drawn because of much error and bad judgment on my part. Confronting one's own errors and bad judgment is a very life altering situation.  Confronting the errors and bad judgment of others is usually hypocrisy.

by someone older and wiser than I

roo_ster

• Kakistocracy--It's What's For Dinner.
  • friend
  • Hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats
« Reply #14 on: January 07, 2011, 08:15:24 AM »
I think the problem with the taser is that its reserved for the elderly and little kids.

Luckily, I have already finished my coffee.

Wheelie McSharps was not exactly a threat at that point, especially as he was boxed in against the auto grill.

I could make some snarky comment about San Francisco LEOs, but I'll just remark that nobody there was putting their noodles to use.
Regards,

roo_ster

“Fallacies do not cease to be fallacies because they become fashions.”
----G.K. Chesterton

geronimotwo

• friend
« Reply #15 on: January 07, 2011, 08:27:09 AM »
you left out the "throw him a joint and let him sleep it off" option.
make the world idiot proof.....and you will have a world full of idiots. -g2

MechAg94

• friend
« Reply #16 on: January 07, 2011, 09:15:03 AM »
now you wanna get angry?  try this
http://newsone.com/nation/associatedpress3/dna-clears-man-jailed-for-31-years-prison-cornelius-dupree-jr/
I am torn between:
1) what the hell was going on around Dallas 20 to 30 years ago that they have so many bad cases? 
2) I'm amazed they actually preserved the evidence for 30 years so that it they were still able to test it.
“It is much more important to kill bad bills than to pass good ones.”  ― Calvin Coolidge

MechAg94

• friend
« Reply #17 on: January 07, 2011, 09:16:53 AM »
On the wheel chair guy, why couldn't they just hit him with tasers and bean bags until he gives up the knife? 
“It is much more important to kill bad bills than to pass good ones.”  ― Calvin Coolidge

Jamisjockey

• Booze-fueled paragon of pointless cruelty and wanton sadism
  • friend
  • Your mom sends me care packages
« Reply #18 on: January 07, 2011, 10:10:49 AM »
On the wheel chair guy, why couldn't they just hit him with tasers and bean bags until he gives up the knife? 

The man was in a wheel chair....they could have used a garden hose and some harsh language on him. What the hell was he going to do about it? 
JD

The price of a lottery ticket seems to be the maximum most folks are willing to risk toward the dream of becoming a one-percenter. “Robert Hollis”

Racehorse

• friend
« Reply #19 on: January 07, 2011, 10:34:52 AM »
From what I read, San Francisco Police are not given or allowed to use Tasers. The guy also stood up at one point, which may have made them think he could come at them. He had also already stabbed an officer.

I still think they made the wrong call. They didn't need to shoot him. But he wasn't quite as harmless as it sounds at first.

MicroBalrog

• friend
« Reply #20 on: January 07, 2011, 10:40:37 AM »
We tend to assume that wheelchair = harmless. Clearly not the case with this bright individual.
Destroy The Enemy in Hand-to-Hand Combat.

"...tradition and custom becomes intertwined and are a strong coercion which directs the society upon fixed lines, and strangles liberty. " ~ William Graham Sumner

AZRedhawk44

• friends
« Reply #21 on: January 07, 2011, 11:00:34 AM »
We tend to assume that wheelchair = harmless.

Dangerous assumption to make.  The wheelchair could theoretically be a disguise of some sort.

I gotta say, I can't find fault with a police shooting where the criminal brandished a knife at the police, and wouldn't drop the knife even after being shot with a bean-bag round from a shotgun at 10-15 feet.
"But whether the Constitution really be one thing, or another, this much is certain - that it has either authorized such a government as we have had, or has been powerless to prevent it. In either case, it is unfit to exist."
--Lysander Spooner

I reject your authoritah!

Racehorse

• friend
« Reply #22 on: January 07, 2011, 11:10:20 AM »
Forgot to add, he threw the knife at them, which is when they shot him. While I would think once he had thrown the knife, they could subdue him rather easily, if someone's throwing a knife at me while I have a gun trained on him, it's going be hard not to pull the trigger.

I still think the shooting was unnecessary, but it's also easy for me to armchair quarterback the situation.

roo_ster

• Kakistocracy--It's What's For Dinner.
  • friend
  • Hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats
« Reply #23 on: January 07, 2011, 11:24:51 AM »
Dangerous assumption to make.  The wheelchair could theoretically be a disguise of some sort.

I gotta say, I can't find fault with a police shooting where the criminal brandished a knife at the police, and wouldn't drop the knife even after being shot with a bean-bag round from a shotgun at 10-15 feet.

When this sort of thing happens, I try to think about if it was my butt in the deadly force situation and ask a couple questions:
1. What would I do were I a CCW-ing citizen facing the threat?
2. How would local LEOs and DAs treat me if I did what the LEOs just did?

1. If I wouldn't shoot, I start to wonder about the LEO.
2. If I would be treated like a murderer/criminal for doing what  LEO did, the LEO ought not have done it.
Regards,

roo_ster

“Fallacies do not cease to be fallacies because they become fashions.”
----G.K. Chesterton

Tallpine

• friends
  • Grumpy Old Grandpa
« Reply #24 on: January 07, 2011, 11:41:55 AM »
When this sort of thing happens, I try to think about if it was my butt in the deadly force situation and ask a couple questions:
1. What would I do were I a CCW-ing citizen facing the threat?
2. How would local LEOs and DAs treat me if I did what the LEOs just did?

1. If I wouldn't shoot, I start to wonder about the LEO.
2. If I would be treated like a murderer/criminal for doing what  LEO did, the LEO ought not have done it.

Well, it was just a property crime which doesn't justify deadly force.

The police escalated the situation.  They should have called 911 and been good witnesses.

=D