Author Topic: Murder City: Ciudad Juarez and the Global Economy's New Killing Fields  (Read 1122 times)

roo_ster

• Kakistocracy--It's What's For Dinner.
  • friend
  • Hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats
http://www.booktv.org/Program/11434/Murder+City+Ciudad+Juarez+and+the+Global+Economys+New+Killing+Fields.aspx

"Charles Bowden chronicles the murders that have plagued Juarez, Mexico over the past several years.  Once heralded as an economic success story and a beneficiary of NAFTA, the city is now one of the most violent and corrupt places in the world.  Mr. Bowden spoke at the Los Angeles Public Library."

Bowden's book covers Juarez's descent into what to me sounds like a Conradian heart of darkness.

Juarez & the rest of Mexico, according to Bowden, is an example of a society where any and all with power use it to their own benefit and against the masses of powerless folks.  It is the sort of place where the only honest journalist or cop is a dead one, but where the dead are considered the guilty and the living are the innocent by dint of still being alive.

If you wonder if Mexico is a failed state, listen to his talk and wonder if he made it all up.

A question from the audience:
"What strategy did you use to stay out of danger?"

Answer:
"Cowardice."
Regards,

roo_ster

“Fallacies do not cease to be fallacies because they become fashions.”
----G.K. Chesterton

Pharmacology

• friends
Re: Murder City: Ciudad Juarez and the Global Economy's New Killing Fields
« Reply #1 on: January 10, 2011, 11:35:14 AM »
Driving from Las Cruces to El Paso yesterday, I looked over the fence to the shanty town visible beyond the fence.
I couldn't believe that it was the same country where I used to play with my cousins when I was smaller.

roo_ster

• Kakistocracy--It's What's For Dinner.
  • friend
  • Hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats
« Reply #2 on: January 10, 2011, 11:39:23 AM »
Driving from Las Cruces to El Paso yesterday, I looked over the fence to the shanty town visible beyond the fence.
I couldn't believe that it was the same country where I used to play with my cousins when I was smaller.

First time I saw Juarez was at night driving along I-10.  I swear, it looked like a scene from Blade Runner.  Of course, the society in BR is not as dysfunctional as that in Juarez.
Regards,

roo_ster

“Fallacies do not cease to be fallacies because they become fashions.”
----G.K. Chesterton

Tallpine

• friends
  • Grumpy Old Grandpa
« Reply #3 on: January 10, 2011, 01:09:27 PM »
The peasants need to journey north of the border and hire seven magnificent men to help them throw off the oppression of the bad guys  =)
Freedom is a heavy load, a great and strange burden for the spirit to undertake. It is not easy. It is not a gift given, but a choice made, and the choice may be a hard one. The road goes upward toward the light; but the laden traveller may never reach the end of it.  - Ursula Le Guin

Viking

• ❤︎ Fuck around & find out ❤︎
  • friend
  • Carnist Bloodmouth
« Reply #4 on: January 10, 2011, 01:11:13 PM »
The peasants need to journey north of the border and hire seven magnificent men to help them throw off the oppression of the bad guys  =)
Mexican customs would confiscate their guns and throw them in jail nowadays...
“The modern world will not be punished. It is the punishment.” — Nicolás Gómez Dávila

Tallpine

• friends
  • Grumpy Old Grandpa
« Reply #5 on: January 10, 2011, 01:12:41 PM »
Mexican customs would confiscate their guns and throw them in jail nowadays...

Merely minor obstacles, as long as you have the right music.   =)
Freedom is a heavy load, a great and strange burden for the spirit to undertake. It is not easy. It is not a gift given, but a choice made, and the choice may be a hard one. The road goes upward toward the light; but the laden traveller may never reach the end of it.  - Ursula Le Guin

Angel Eyes

• Lying dog-faced pony soldier
  • friend
  • You're not diggin'
« Reply #6 on: January 10, 2011, 02:42:43 PM »
Calvera was a piker compared to the cartels.
""If you elect me, your taxes are going to be raised, not cut."
                         - master strategist Joe Biden

red headed stranger

• friend
« Reply #7 on: January 10, 2011, 10:48:01 PM »
Coming soon to a city near you!
Those who learn from history are doomed to watch others repeat it

Pharmacology

• friends
« Reply #8 on: January 11, 2011, 02:42:23 PM »
First time I saw Juarez was at night driving along I-10.  I swear, it looked like a scene from Blade Runner.  Of course, the society in BR is not as dysfunctional as that in Juarez.

Yeah, after things went crazy it can hardly be called society. just a bunch of people trying not to get murdered

Tallpine

• friends
  • Grumpy Old Grandpa
« Reply #9 on: January 11, 2011, 02:56:07 PM »
Calvera was a piker compared to the cartels.

It's a shame you don't find true religion anymore  =(