Author Topic: Alabama blizzard  (Read 11574 times)

Monkeyleg

• friend
  • Tattaglia is a pimp.
    • http://www.gunshopfinder.com
Alabama blizzard
« on: January 10, 2011, 12:47:12 AM »
Those of you in northern states will get a kick out of the response to the pending "blizzard" here in AL. We're supposed to get about 8" of snow over the next 24 hours.

They've closed all of the schools, just about all offices, factories and other workplaces, and many major highways. Newscasts warn people not to drive at all unless it's an emergency.

My wife polled our neighbors, and none of them own snow shovels. We brought three when we moved, just in case. Maybe my neighbors will want to inspect them to see how they're constructed, like the scientists in "Close Encounters of the Third Kind" inspecting the space ship.

I think I'm going to go out and do some donuts down the street just to freak people out.

Perd Hapley

• Superstar of the Internet
  • friend
  • My prepositions are on/in
Re: Alabama blizzard
« Reply #1 on: January 10, 2011, 12:53:23 AM »
Those of you in northern states will get a kick out of the response to the pending "blizzard" here in AL. We're supposed to get about 8" of snow over the next 24 hours.

They've closed all of the schools, just about all offices, factories and other workplaces, and many major highways. Newscasts warn people not to drive at all unless it's an emergency.

While that might be over the top in Michigan, it makes perfect sense in Alabama. Of course even in St. Louis, the media oversells the weather at every opportunity. Journalists are paid to over-sensationalize no matter where you live.
"Doggies are angel babies!" -- my wife

Boomhauer

• Former Moderator, fired for embezzlement and abuse of power
  • friends
« Reply #2 on: January 10, 2011, 01:51:09 AM »
SC closed down the state .gov so I have a SNOW DAY tomorrow! Yeah!
Quote from: Ben
Holy hell. It's like giving a loaded gun to a chimpanzee...

Quote from: bluestarlizzard
the last thing you need is rabies. You're already angry enough as it is.

OTOH, there wouldn't be a tweeker left in Georgia...

Quote from: Balog
BLOOD FOR THE BLOOD GOD! SKULLS FOR THE SKULL THRONE! AND THROW SOME STEAK ON THE GRILL!

RoadKingLarry

• friends
« Reply #3 on: January 10, 2011, 06:53:58 AM »
I'm hoping to get some snow here so I can use my new "snow shovel".

If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or your arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that you were our countrymen.

Samuel Adams

Jamisjockey

• Booze-fueled paragon of pointless cruelty and wanton sadism
  • friend
  • Your mom sends me care packages
« Reply #4 on: January 10, 2011, 08:21:28 AM »
It snowed at least 6" every winter I lived in VA.  And every winter, they were utterly shocked, awed, and paralized by said snow. 

Meanwhile, in (Htown) Texas, we're looking at one morning this week below freezing.... :laugh:
JD

The price of a lottery ticket seems to be the maximum most folks are willing to risk toward the dream of becoming a one-percenter. “Robert Hollis”

HankB

• friend
« Reply #5 on: January 10, 2011, 08:30:58 AM »
Meanwhile, in (Htown) Texas, we're looking at one morning this week below freezing.... :laugh:
And of course, the weather guys & gals on TV are dispensing advice along with the weather forecast, which they try to make sound like it's just short of the Apocalypse..

I mean, OK, it's going to be below freezing . . . you really don't have to tell me to take along a coat or jacket, cover sensitive plants, etc. 

Or do you really think your entire audience is comprised of dolts?
Trump won in 2016. Democrats haven't been so offended since Republicans came along and freed their slaves.
Sometimes I wonder if the world is being run by smart people who are putting us on, or by imbeciles who really mean it. - Mark Twain
Government is a broker in pillage, and every election is a sort of advance auction in stolen goods. - H.L. Mencken
Patriotism is supporting your country all the time, and your government when it deserves it. - Mark Twain

zxcvbob

• friend
« Reply #6 on: January 10, 2011, 08:47:45 AM »
And of course, the weather guys & gals on TV are dispensing advice along with the weather forecast, which they try to make sound like it's just short of the Apocalypse..  I mean, OK, it's going to be below freezing . . . you really don't have to tell me to take along a coat or jacket, cover sensitive plants, etc. 

Or do you really think your entire audience is comprised of dolts?
If it saves just one tomato plant...
"It's good, though..."

makattak

• Dark Lord of the Cis
  • friend
« Reply #7 on: January 10, 2011, 09:01:11 AM »

My wife polled our neighbors, and none of them own snow shovels. We brought three when we moved, just in case. Maybe my neighbors will want to inspect them to see how they're constructed, like the scientists in "Close Encounters of the Third Kind" inspecting the space ship.

I think I'm going to go out and do some donuts down the street just to freak people out.

Do not, I repeat, DO NOT go out during the snow in the south.

Yes, we Yankees can drive in the snow. Southerners can't. You don't want to be out there while they discover this fact.
I wish the Ring had never come to me. I wish none of this had happened.

So do all who live to see such times. But that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given to us. There are other forces at work in this world, Frodo, besides the will of evil. Bilbo was meant to find the Ring. In which case, you also were meant to have it. And that is an encouraging thought

grampster

• friend
« Reply #8 on: January 10, 2011, 09:08:37 AM »
It's in the 70's and sunny here in Key West.  What's the problem?? [popcorn] =D =D
"Never wrestle with a pig.  You get dirty, and besides, the pig likes it."  G.B. Shaw

mtnbkr

• friend
« Reply #9 on: January 10, 2011, 09:09:40 AM »
It snowed at least 6" every winter I lived in VA.  And every winter, they were utterly shocked, awed, and paralized by said snow. 

You were in Northern Va, where we draw from every corner of the Earth.

SWVa isn't afflicted by such.  They handle the snow just fine, thank you very much. :P

Yes, we Yankees can drive in the snow. Southerners can't. You don't want to be out there while they discover this fact.

Southerner born and bred here.  I can drive in the snow just fine. :)

Chris

makattak

• Dark Lord of the Cis
  • friend
« Reply #10 on: January 10, 2011, 09:16:01 AM »
You were in Northern Va, where we draw from every corner of the Earth.

SWVa isn't afflicted by such.  They handle the snow just fine, thank you very much. :P

Southerner born and bred here.  I can drive in the snow just fine. :)

Chris

Ok, maybe that was a bit of hyperbole. ;) (Also, SWVa is in the mountains, so they tend to get a little more snow there.)

However, the percentage of southerners that can't drive in the snow is much higher than in northern climes.

Otherwise, whence all the turtled SUVs?
I wish the Ring had never come to me. I wish none of this had happened.

So do all who live to see such times. But that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given to us. There are other forces at work in this world, Frodo, besides the will of evil. Bilbo was meant to find the Ring. In which case, you also were meant to have it. And that is an encouraging thought

RoadKingLarry

• friends
« Reply #11 on: January 10, 2011, 09:52:21 AM »

And many seem to need to learn that lesson every- single- year. Year after year after year.
Of course as soon as they get a big jacked up 4X4 it'll be ok.

Till they have to learn all over again.
If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or your arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that you were our countrymen.

Samuel Adams

roo_ster

• Kakistocracy--It's What's For Dinner.
  • friend
  • Hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats
« Reply #12 on: January 10, 2011, 10:47:13 AM »

QFT, mtnbiker excepted.

Regards,

roo_ster

“Fallacies do not cease to be fallacies because they become fashions.”
----G.K. Chesterton

Monkeyleg

• friend
  • Tattaglia is a pimp.
    • http://www.gunshopfinder.com
« Reply #13 on: January 10, 2011, 11:33:15 AM »
You don't want to be out there while they discover this fact.

I've run into that in other states. I just drive faster to keep away from them. ;)

I really shouldn't poke too much fun. The governor has declared the state a disaster, and it's going to cost millions of dollars in lost productivity, wages and revenue, and some people will be injured or maybe killed.

Boomhauer

• Former Moderator, fired for embezzlement and abuse of power
  • friends
« Reply #14 on: January 10, 2011, 12:14:33 PM »

Some Yankees can't drive in winter weather, either...

My momma recalls a girl she worked with one time...they told her not to drive during a bad storm one year...Yankee Girl goes "This is nothing, I can drive in it just fine", goes out to her car, and crashes before she leaves the parking lot.

Quote from: Ben
Holy hell. It's like giving a loaded gun to a chimpanzee...

Quote from: bluestarlizzard
the last thing you need is rabies. You're already angry enough as it is.

OTOH, there wouldn't be a tweeker left in Georgia...

Quote from: Balog
BLOOD FOR THE BLOOD GOD! SKULLS FOR THE SKULL THRONE! AND THROW SOME STEAK ON THE GRILL!

Stetson

• friends
« Reply #15 on: January 10, 2011, 12:19:26 PM »
Yankees get freaked out by Southern thunderstorms.  I have seen it all across the south.  They pull over, stop and huddle in their cars until it passes.  Usually under an overpass without the hazard lights on.

TommyGunn

• friend
  • Stuck in full auto since birth.
« Reply #16 on: January 10, 2011, 12:21:19 PM »

Having lived in both Connecticut and Alabama, I note that when I lived in Yankee-land, most people thought they could drive in the snow but caused all sorts of bizarre and dangerous accidents in their attempts to deal with the snowy, icy roads that developed.
Here in 'Bama I note that few people are out on the roads, the supermarkets were raided pretty thoroughly Saturday & Sunday, and the few people that actually did try to go out last night as the storm moved in, caused all sorts of bizarre and dangerous accidents in their attempts to deal with the 5" of snow that had collected.  News reports indicate numerous abandoned cars along the sides of roads.  
So, all in all, I see very little difference .......  [popcorn] [popcorn] [popcorn] ;/ ;/ ;/
« Last Edit: January 10, 2011, 12:24:32 PM by TommyGunn »
MOLON LABE   "Through ignorance of what is good and what is bad, the life of men is greatly perplexed." ~~ Cicero

charby

• Necromancer
  • Administrator
  • APS's Resident Sikh/Muslim
« Reply #17 on: January 10, 2011, 12:30:48 PM »
This is my blizzard machine

except I got chains on it.
Iowa- 88% more livable that the rest of the US

Uranus is a gas giant.

Team 444: Member# 536

RoadKingLarry

• friends
« Reply #18 on: January 10, 2011, 12:34:49 PM »
The governor has declared the state a disaster, and it's going to cost millions of dollars in lost productivity, wages and revenue, and some people will be injured or maybe killed.

Do they canvas for volunteers or is it like jury duty?

Samuel Adams

charby

• Necromancer
  • Administrator
  • APS's Resident Sikh/Muslim
« Reply #19 on: January 10, 2011, 12:45:27 PM »
We're supposed to get 8" tonight in Central Iowa. Our biggest concern will it quit snowing before we go to work so we don't have to blow again when we come home.

Iowa- 88% more livable that the rest of the US

Uranus is a gas giant.

Team 444: Member# 536

280plus

• friend
  • Ever get that sinking feeling?
« Reply #20 on: January 10, 2011, 12:48:43 PM »
It's in the 70's and sunny here in Key West.  What's the problem?? [popcorn] =D =D
ok, now you're just pissin' me off!  :mad:

:lol:
Avoid cliches like the plague!

InfidelSerf

• friend
« Reply #21 on: January 10, 2011, 01:05:56 PM »
We (KC,MO) have about 4-6".. supposed to get up to 8 after it's all said and done.  
snow+E-brake=Big grins  =D
The hour is fast approaching,on which the Honor&Success of this army,and the safety of our bleeding Country depend.Remember~Soldiers,that you are Freemen,fighting for the blessings of Liberty-that slavery will be your portion,and that of your posterity,if you do not acquit yourselves like men.GW8/76

Tallpine

• friends
  • Grumpy Old Grandpa
« Reply #22 on: January 10, 2011, 01:06:46 PM »
governor has declared the state a disaster

I can think of some states that need to be declared as such  ;)
Freedom is a heavy load, a great and strange burden for the spirit to undertake. It is not easy. It is not a gift given, but a choice made, and the choice may be a hard one. The road goes upward toward the light; but the laden traveller may never reach the end of it.  - Ursula Le Guin

280plus

• friend
  • Ever get that sinking feeling?
« Reply #23 on: January 10, 2011, 01:11:34 PM »
Any way we can get you guys to keep your snowstorm down there? I just HAVE to be in the 14-16" band up here. Sigh... :P
Avoid cliches like the plague!

cassandra and sara's daddy

• friends
« Reply #24 on: January 10, 2011, 02:52:12 PM »
i make decent money when it snows
It is much more powerful to seek Truth for one's self.  Seeing and hearing that others seem to have found it can be a motivation.  With me, I was drawn because of much error and bad judgment on my part. Confronting one's own errors and bad judgment is a very life altering situation.  Confronting the errors and bad judgment of others is usually hypocrisy.

by someone older and wiser than I