Author Topic: Alabama blizzard  (Read 11575 times)

Hutch

• friend
Re: Alabama blizzard
« Reply #25 on: January 10, 2011, 04:00:29 PM »
Yes, we Yankees can drive in the snow. Southerners can't. You don't want to be out there while they discover this fact.
Don't even go there (so '90's, I know).  NOBODY can drive on glare ice, and that's what snow turns to on roads in the Southeast.  I saw a video on a local Birmingham TV station where the reporter was being lectured by a Chicagoan who was visibly contemptuous of the locals.  He then started backing his car out of the lot.  It didn't stop sliding until he was fetched up against a pole at the bottom of the parking lot.  Soooooooo satisfying....
"My limited experience does not permit me to appreciate the unquestionable wisdom of your decision"

Seems like every day, I'm forced to add to the list of people who can just kiss my hairy ass.

280plus

• friend
  • Ever get that sinking feeling?
« Reply #26 on: January 10, 2011, 04:04:32 PM »
Meh, what do Chicagoans know? All they ever get is lake effect snow and everybody knows that's not real snow.  ;)

=D
Avoid cliches like the plague!

AJ Dual

• friends
  • Shoe Ballistics Inc.
« Reply #27 on: January 10, 2011, 06:09:39 PM »
Do not, I repeat, DO NOT go out during the snow in the south.

Yes, we Yankees can drive in the snow. Southerners can't. You don't want to be out there while they discover this fact.

Shoulda done all our fighting in that war between the states during the winter.  :facepalm:

Although in all seriousness, I think the reason for part of the panic (besides media inflation which seems inexorable) is that the south has ice storms which are truly debilitating, while the northern climates are generally just too cold for that to happen. Either it snows here or it does not, there's very little middle ground with weird inversion layers or whatever.

And when it is raining and flips to snow, the air dries up so much, the ground and streets dry out somewhat, and the large plow and salt spreading infrastructure we have takes care of the rest.
I promise not to duck.

mtnbkr

• friend
« Reply #28 on: January 10, 2011, 06:59:07 PM »
Although in all seriousness, I think the reason for part of the panic (besides media inflation which seems inexorable) is that the south has ice storms which are truly debilitating, while the northern climates are generally just too cold for that to happen. Either it snows here or it does not, there's very little middle ground with weird inversion layers or whatever.

I haven't experienced a truly nasty ice storm here in NoVa, but we had several when I lived in NC and TN.  One winter, we missed over a week of school because of ice storms.  While in TN, we never missed more than a day or two due to snow.

Chris

Tallpine

• friends
  • Grumpy Old Grandpa
« Reply #29 on: January 10, 2011, 07:30:08 PM »
We had chinook winds and then freezing rains on top of our snowpack turned to slush.

Now it is really cold and frozen solid, but our gravel county road is so slick that you can hardly stand up on it.

This is as bad a conditions as I have ever seen in 40 years of driving - all of it in snow country.  15 mph is too fast; if you even rest your foot on the brake pedal you lock up all four wheels.  =(

Normally, when the temp drops in the single digits and below, we have really good traction, but not this time.  It will take either several inches of new snowfall, a complete thaw, or the county doing something like sanding or coal dusting the road to fix things (the latter two are not likely).  So we are stuck with this probably until at least March or maybe letter.

I have no clue how they are getting away with running a school bus in these conditions  ;/
Freedom is a heavy load, a great and strange burden for the spirit to undertake. It is not easy. It is not a gift given, but a choice made, and the choice may be a hard one. The road goes upward toward the light; but the laden traveller may never reach the end of it.  - Ursula Le Guin

Angel Eyes

• Lying dog-faced pony soldier
  • friend
  • You're not diggin'
« Reply #30 on: January 10, 2011, 07:36:41 PM »
I have no clue how they are getting away with running a school bus in these conditions  ;/

Throw children under the rear wheels for extra traction.
"End of quote.  Repeat the line."
  - Joe 'Ron Burgundy' Biden

Monkeyleg

• friend
  • Tattaglia is a pimp.
    • http://www.gunshopfinder.com
« Reply #31 on: January 10, 2011, 08:15:04 PM »
Throw children under the rear wheels for extra traction.

Duck! Lightning bolts!

erictank

• friends
« Reply #32 on: January 10, 2011, 08:29:21 PM »
Do not, I repeat, DO NOT go out during the snow in the south.

My family moved from the Syracuse NY area to just outside of Austin TX when I was 9.  The second winter we were there, they got their first snow in something like 10 years - a whole quarter of an inch.

EVERYTHING was shut down for THREE FULL DAYS.  NO ONE could drive in it, unless they'd come from somewhere that actually gets snow in the winters.  My family was fine, there were a few others as well, but yeah, the roads were rife with fools who thought that you had to do 2mph in order to be safe, or there was no problem with 75mph (especially those with 4WD  ;/  They just got stuck worse).

Jocassee

• Buster Scruggs Respecter
  • friends
  • "First time?"
« Reply #33 on: January 10, 2011, 09:30:53 PM »
Six inches plus right now in SC, and the roads are covered in ice pack. I only drove a couple miles today, not so sure about doing 26 miles to work in the morning. All supposed to freeze solid tonight.

Roads haven't even been salted.
I shall not die alone, alone, but kin to all the powers,
As merry as the ancient sun and fighting like the flowers.

Monkeyleg

• friend
  • Tattaglia is a pimp.
« Reply #34 on: January 10, 2011, 10:56:13 PM »
I have the distinct honor of driving my wife and her supervisor to work tomorrow because both are scared to death of driving in the snow. So, I'll spend about two hours of my own work day playing chaffeur to them.

My wife's been driving in WI snow for 25+ years, and she can't handle this?  :facepalm:

mtnbkr

• friend
« Reply #35 on: January 10, 2011, 11:09:54 PM »
I have the distinct honor of driving my wife and her supervisor to work tomorrow because both are scared to death of driving in the snow. So, I'll spend about two hours of my own work day playing chaffeur to them.

My wife's been driving in WI snow for 25+ years, and she can't handle this?  :facepalm:

There goes the theory of Northerners' superiority in snow-driving.. :P

Chris

Boomhauer

• Former Moderator, fired for embezzlement and abuse of power
  • friends
« Reply #36 on: January 10, 2011, 11:36:59 PM »
Six inches plus right now in SC, and the roads are covered in ice pack. I only drove a couple miles today, not so sure about doing 26 miles to work in the morning. All supposed to freeze solid tonight.

This. I don't know how bad ice is going to be tomorrow. State .gov shut down today, so I didn't have to report to work. Tomorrow, we are scheduled to be open unless I get a phone call different.

Quote from: Ben
Holy hell. It's like giving a loaded gun to a chimpanzee...

Quote from: bluestarlizzard
the last thing you need is rabies. You're already angry enough as it is.

OTOH, there wouldn't be a tweeker left in Georgia...

Quote from: Balog
BLOOD FOR THE BLOOD GOD! SKULLS FOR THE SKULL THRONE! AND THROW SOME STEAK ON THE GRILL!

Zardozimo Oprah Bannedalas

• Webley Juggler
  • friend
  • All I got is a fistful of shekels
« Reply #37 on: January 10, 2011, 11:43:10 PM »
It's not snow, it's ice. In this area, you get a layer of ice first, then snow on top of it. The snow is good, the ice is evil.

280plus

• friend
« Reply #38 on: January 11, 2011, 06:23:41 AM »

WTH, I thought you were in NH or something.

RoadKingLarry

• friends
« Reply #39 on: January 11, 2011, 09:34:26 AM »
WTH, I thought you were in NH or something.

You are so 5 or 6 months ago ;/
If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or your arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that you were our countrymen.

Samuel Adams

charby

• Necromancer
  • Administrator
  • APS's Resident Sikh/Muslim
« Reply #40 on: January 11, 2011, 10:14:32 AM »
It's not snow, it's ice. In this area, you get a layer of ice first, then snow on top of it. The snow is good, the ice is evil.

I'd be whipping donuts, cookies and drifting all over the local Wal-Mart parking lot.

I grew up in SE IA and we got ice many times before snow, or it was wet snow which made for perfect parking lot driving, and yes a front wheel drive car will whip a donut in reverse. I also miss having a rear wheel drive car with a e-brake handle between the seats.
Iowa- 88% more livable that the rest of the US

Uranus is a gas giant.

Team 444: Member# 536

Monkeyleg

• friend
  • Tattaglia is a pimp.
« Reply #41 on: January 11, 2011, 10:22:11 AM »
I'd be whipping donuts, cookies and drifting all over the local Wal-Mart parking lot.

I grew up in SE IA and we got ice many times before snow, or it was wet snow which made for perfect parking lot driving, and yes a front wheel drive car will whip a donut in reverse. I also miss having a rear wheel drive car with a e-brake handle between the seats.

I did that yesterday. Found an empty lot and drove as fast as I could while flipping the wheel. Front wheel drive just isn't as fun, though.

This morning I drove my wife to work. There was almost no traffic, but the streets were in very good shape. Considering the small amount of equipment they have here to deal with snow, I'd say they did an impressive job of cleaning up.

The schools are going to be closed today and tomorrow, and most people appear to still be staying home rather than going to work. The interstate was absolutely clear and dry, and the main streets likewise. I suspect some people are playing hooky.

Tallpine

• friends
  • Grumpy Old Grandpa
« Reply #42 on: January 11, 2011, 11:40:43 AM »
State .gov shut down today

Every storm cloud has a silver lining  =D
Freedom is a heavy load, a great and strange burden for the spirit to undertake. It is not easy. It is not a gift given, but a choice made, and the choice may be a hard one. The road goes upward toward the light; but the laden traveller may never reach the end of it.  - Ursula Le Guin

280plus

• friend
« Reply #43 on: January 11, 2011, 12:17:32 PM »
You are so 5 or 6 months ago ;/
That's me, 6 months late and a dollar short...  =|

Boomhauer

• friends
« Reply #44 on: January 14, 2011, 06:11:22 PM »
I'm hoping to get some snow here so I can use my new "snow shovel".

Been running a Kubota B21 backhoe for the past two days trying to clear ice and snow from the parking lots, dump stations, and boat ramps at work. The edge of the bucket isn't straight and true, so it's not biting into the ice real well, the bucket is small and fills quickly, and some frickin' IDIOT Kubota designer (who has probably never ran a tractor in his life) put the brake pedals on the same side as the forward/reverse hydo pedals, so you can't easily use differential steering when the front wheels are off the ground...so it's not working nearly as well as we'd hoped.

BLOOD FOR THE BLOOD GOD! SKULLS FOR THE SKULL THRONE! AND THROW SOME STEAK ON THE GRILL!

cassandra and sara's daddy

• friends
« Reply #45 on: January 14, 2011, 06:12:42 PM »
no back blade?
It is much more powerful to seek Truth for one's self.  Seeing and hearing that others seem to have found it can be a motivation.  With me, I was drawn because of much error and bad judgment on my part. Confronting one's own errors and bad judgment is a very life altering situation.  Confronting the errors and bad judgment of others is usually hypocrisy.

by someone older and wiser than I

Boomhauer

• friends
« Reply #46 on: January 14, 2011, 06:34:34 PM »
no back blade?

Not on the backhoe (I'm not taking the backhoe unit off and changing it to three point hitch). At work we've got another tractor (older JD 950) with a 4 foot box blade and it's doing better for mass snow removal, but still isn't biting down into the ice and getting rid of it. I might try putting the rippers back on it and see what happens tomorrow if I have time. 

Now, at home I've got a JD 955 with 6 foot box blade and a good size front end loader that'd be the perfect combo for this job, but I'm not hauling it to work over 20 miles of icy roads.

Tallpine

• friends
  • Grumpy Old Grandpa
« Reply #47 on: January 14, 2011, 06:47:19 PM »
Someday I want to get another "newer" tractor.

I drool over the Kubotas but really I think I want something way bigger for the money (used).

Maybe a 60s or 70s vintage Farmall 766++ ... ?

Something that I can really break things with  :cool:

RoadKingLarry

• friends
« Reply #48 on: January 14, 2011, 07:49:46 PM »
My little toy is a Kioti CK20s. It is a little bigger and heavier than Kbota's BX line and not quite as big as their B series. And several grand cheaper than either. I've only put about 6 hours on it so far but I'm happy with it so far. Spent about 8 months researching compact tractors and the Kioti is what I picked. I added a 50" PTO tiller for working my gardens and it pulls it with authority.
And we still haven't had any snow to move with it  =D.
If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or your arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that you were our countrymen.

Samuel Adams

Lee

• friend
« Reply #49 on: January 15, 2011, 01:17:34 PM »
I went to see the 'Blue Collar' tour here last winter.  We had a very nasty winter storm that day.  School wasn't canceled because the snow started late in the morning.  By showtime, the roads really, really sucked.  Slush was about 6 inched deep on the freeway.  The first thing Jeff Foxworthy said was something like," damn, if Atlanta had a storm like this one, school would be closed for the rest of the year".  Pretty funny in retrospect.