Author Topic: Bought new tires today................  (Read 9447 times)

Grandpa Shooter

• friend
Bought new tires today................
« on: January 12, 2011, 11:48:35 PM »
because we wore the others out with all the driving we have had to do in the last 1 1/2 years.  It cost me $700 last time and due to there being no real competition among tire dealers up here in the desolate wastelands, the cost this time was $1100. !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :facepalm:

Big O is the only regional dealer up here and so the only one with outlets in the area we frequent we can go to with tire problems.  265 70 R 17's Load Range E in an aggressive tread don't grow on trees around here.  With the hauling we do I  can't afford to take chances on tires.  After all, our lives are riding on them. :O

AJ Dual

• friends
  • Shoe Ballistics Inc.
Re: Bought new tires today................
« Reply #1 on: January 12, 2011, 11:58:23 PM »
Won't do you any good with mounting and balancing, but what about ordering them online?
I promise not to duck.

Boomhauer

• Former Moderator, fired for embezzlement and abuse of power
  • friends
« Reply #2 on: January 13, 2011, 12:40:53 AM »
Won't do you any good with mounting and balancing

Mounting and balancing should be pretty cheap if you an get some decent savings on tires.

http://www.treadepot.com/tire/B78589.html?CID=21 Check these out. How many tires are you looking at and for what kind of vehicle (motor home, truck van?)

Quote from: Ben
Holy hell. It's like giving a loaded gun to a chimpanzee...

Quote from: bluestarlizzard
the last thing you need is rabies. You're already angry enough as it is.

OTOH, there wouldn't be a tweeker left in Georgia...

Quote from: Balog
BLOOD FOR THE BLOOD GOD! SKULLS FOR THE SKULL THRONE! AND THROW SOME STEAK ON THE GRILL!

Jim147

• friends
« Reply #3 on: January 13, 2011, 12:43:49 AM »
I have a small local guy that can meet or beat tirerack.com once you add in shipping. And he doesn't charge mount or balance or valve stems or EPA or unknown shop charges. And cash talks. If you know what I mean.

jim
Sometimes we carry more weight then we owe.
And sometimes goes on and on and on.

BAH-WEEP-GRAAAGHNAH WHEEP NI-NI BONG

grislyatoms

• friends
« Reply #4 on: January 13, 2011, 12:50:24 AM »
I put 2 new front tires on my pickup 2-3 years ago. The dealer was out of B.F. Goodrich AT's, so I got a pair of "Falken" AT's.

Suffice to say I'll drive somewhere else for tires here soon before I go for "convenient" ever again.
"A son of the sea, am I" Gordon Lightfoot

zxcvbob

• friend
« Reply #5 on: January 13, 2011, 12:58:33 AM »
What about Sear's?

I put Kuhmo skinny truck tires on my 2wd pickup about 16 months ago and they've been great.  They even have good traction in snow.  The only problem I've had is when the roads are covered with ice instead of snow (that's when I really wish I had 4wd)  I don't think any non-studded tire will do well on ice unless I put 2000 pounds in the back and take it really slow.
"It's good, though..."

RoadKingLarry

• friends
« Reply #6 on: January 13, 2011, 06:19:02 AM »
I've had good service out of Kumho tires over the years, started buying them becasue they were less expensive. I've had several sets that lasted 80K+ miles.
If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or your arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that you were our countrymen.

Samuel Adams

KD5NRH

• friends
  • I'm too sexy for you people.
« Reply #7 on: January 13, 2011, 06:46:52 AM »
The only problem I've had is when the roads are covered with ice instead of snow (that's when I really wish I had 4wd)

You're in luck!  http://www.pinzgauer.com/shpics.php?table=vehicles&idnum=111

Grandpa Shooter

• friend
« Reply #8 on: January 13, 2011, 10:46:39 AM »
It is not a lower price which gives Big O Tires the edge.  It is the fact that they have stores where I travel and I can go to them for service AFTER the sale. Buy tires on line and try to get anyone to guarantee them, I don't think so!

Jamisjockey

• Booze-fueled paragon of pointless cruelty and wanton sadism
  • friend
  • Your mom sends me care packages
« Reply #9 on: January 13, 2011, 11:23:32 AM »
I have an F150 with upgraded wheels.  Seems ford used a real odd tire size on my truck, that required either I pay $110 for really crappy tires that wore out after 15-20k of driving and provide 0 off road traction, or I spend $250+ on really good off road tires.
Ended up changing the tire size to get some about $160 a tire.
JD

The price of a lottery ticket seems to be the maximum most folks are willing to risk toward the dream of becoming a one-percenter. “Robert Hollis”

roo_ster

• Kakistocracy--It's What's For Dinner.
  • friend
  • Hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats
« Reply #10 on: January 13, 2011, 11:42:22 AM »
Regards,

roo_ster

“Fallacies do not cease to be fallacies because they become fashions.”
----G.K. Chesterton

KD5NRH

• friends
  • I'm too sexy for you people.
« Reply #11 on: January 13, 2011, 11:52:16 AM »
Can you put a back seat in those CJ5's?

I think you can get the godawful uncomfortable ones that will only handle midgets or people with no legs...pretty much like most of the old Jeep back seats.

Tallpine

• friends
  • Grumpy Old Grandpa
« Reply #12 on: January 13, 2011, 12:20:21 PM »
Tires for our little bitty car were $196 each!  :O   (for good ones)

Luckily they had a Buy 3 Get 1 Free Sale going on  =)

They are pretty good, though - don't look like they should but they get around pretty darn good on snow and ice, especially compared to the OE tires.
Freedom is a heavy load, a great and strange burden for the spirit to undertake. It is not easy. It is not a gift given, but a choice made, and the choice may be a hard one. The road goes upward toward the light; but the laden traveller may never reach the end of it.  - Ursula Le Guin

Harold Tuttle

• Professor Chromedome
  • friend
« Reply #13 on: January 13, 2011, 12:40:52 PM »
I was reading in Car & Driver about the tires for the new Super Sport Bugatti Veyron

After 3 tire changes, you need to replace the wheels and at the topspeed of 258 MPH you change the tires rather often

http://www.bugatti.com/en/super-sport/special-editions/world-record-edition.html

http://www.caranddriver.com/reviews/car/10q4/2011_bugatti_veyron_16.4_super_sport-first_drive_review

A set of the Super Sport’s special Michelin tires costs $42,000 and may last 10,000 miles
if you’re careful, though they last only 15 minutes at the car’s top speed (at that pace, however,
the 26.4-gallon tank is sucked dry in just 10 minutes, and there’s no place on Earth to safely go that fast that long anyway, so no worries).
At the third tire replacement, Michelin requires that you also swap out the $69,000 wheels—coincidentally, the only wheels that fit those tires—to ensure a proper bead seal.
"The true mad scientist does not make public appearances! He does not wear the "Hello, my name is.." badge!
He strikes from below like a viper or on high like a penny dropped from the tallest building around!
He only has one purpose--Do bad things to good people! Mit science! What good is science if no one gets hurt?!"

AJ Dual

• friends
  • Shoe Ballistics Inc.
« Reply #14 on: January 13, 2011, 03:50:43 PM »
Worlds coolest car with the ugliest front grille.

"Hey! Let's produce the best super-car in the world! Then let's put a front on it that looks worse than an Edsel! Yeah!"

(I know it's supposed to be an homage to the original Bugatti roadsters, still does not mean it doesn't look dumb as hell..)
I promise not to duck.

eyebrows

• friend
« Reply #15 on: January 13, 2011, 04:01:46 PM »
Around here Big O is usually on the high side when it comes to tire prices. That said Big O is the only place I will buy tires.
Why? Because they will plug any tire for free if you bought it from them or not. Over the years they have plugged my truck tires several times and my work van tires at least 20 times. I figure all the money they saved me in plugs makes up for the little bit more they charge for tires. Kinda one of those scratch my back I scratch yours deals.

MillCreek

• Skippy The Wonder Dog
  • friend
  • APS Risk Manager
« Reply #16 on: January 13, 2011, 05:03:12 PM »
Won't do you any good with mounting and balancing, but what about ordering them online?

Somewhat on point, but at least in this area, you can no longer find a motorcycle dealer/repair shop that will mount tires bought online.  They all cite 'liability' as the reason. I have even offered to draft a hold harmless/indemnification agreement in their favor, subject to approval of their counsel, and they all look at me and wish I would just go away.  Is it easier to find a shop to mount car tires bought elsewhere?

Quote from: Angel Eyes on August 09, 2018, 01:56:15 AM
You are one lousy risk manager.

roo_ster

• friend
« Reply #17 on: January 13, 2011, 05:36:40 PM »
Somewhat on point, but at least in this area, you can no longer find a motorcycle dealer/repair shop that will mount tires bought online.  They all cite 'liability' as the reason. I have even offered to draft a hold harmless/indemnification agreement in their favor, subject to approval of their counsel, and they all look at me and wish I would just go away.  Is it easier to find a shop to mount car tires bought elsewhere?

Yes.  Lots arond here.
Regards,

roo_ster

----G.K. Chesterton

zxcvbob

• friend
« Reply #18 on: January 13, 2011, 05:37:02 PM »
I bought my set of Kuhmos online -- paid $78 apiece for LT215-85R16 Load Range D's.  I don't know why they were so cheap; I guess most people who buy this size tire get E's (same tire in LRE cost a lot more) but my truck's just a half ton.  It cost another $20+ each to ship them.  Tirerack referred me to a local car dealership who installs their tires.  That last part is the key.

The shipping costs so much, I wouldn't expect buying tires online to be cost effective very often.  I'm not sure that I'll do it again.  But if the price is right, it was a painless experience (and it turned me on to Kuhmo tires that I never would have tried otherwise.)
"It's good, though..."

Monkeyleg

• friend
  • Tattaglia is a pimp.
    • http://www.gunshopfinder.com
« Reply #19 on: January 13, 2011, 06:05:05 PM »
I bought the wide tires and wheels for my Mustang online, but could only find one shop in the Milwaukee area that would mount the tires, and they charged $120. Someone here said that price wasn't out of line, so I just accept it.

41magsnub

• friend
  • Don't make me assume my ultimate form!
« Reply #20 on: January 13, 2011, 06:55:31 PM »
Just don't make my mistake like I did on my truck...  at the tire shop and within the tire model I was looking at the options were 6 ply and 10 ply with the 10 ply costing $3 more per tire.  Obviously 10 ply is better right?  The 1/2 ton GMC now rides like a tired old duece and a half.  However, whenever I load up the bed of the truck with a huge amount of weight the tires won't blow.  This seems to not come up ever in my 1/2 ton with a v6 in it.

The gas mileage took a bit of a hit too.

zxcvbob

• friend
« Reply #21 on: January 13, 2011, 07:23:35 PM »
The gas mileage should have got better, not worse (not a lot better.) 

How much air are you running in them?  Try about 45 pounds.
"It's good, though..."

roo_ster

• friend
« Reply #22 on: January 13, 2011, 09:09:37 PM »
Just ran the numbers and I can save $144 off a set of tires for my rice-burner pickup if I get them from treaddepot.com and have local guys I used before (for a set of tires from tirerack.com) install them.

$588 local
$448 other.
Regards,

roo_ster

----G.K. Chesterton

Tallpine

• friends
  • Grumpy Old Grandpa
« Reply #23 on: January 13, 2011, 10:45:12 PM »
Oh, for the days of split rims when I could change my own tires with a few hand tools ...   ;/
Freedom is a heavy load, a great and strange burden for the spirit to undertake. It is not easy. It is not a gift given, but a choice made, and the choice may be a hard one. The road goes upward toward the light; but the laden traveller may never reach the end of it.  - Ursula Le Guin

BReilley

• Just a frog in a pond.
  • friend
« Reply #24 on: January 14, 2011, 11:52:23 PM »
Oh, for the days of split rims when I could change my own tires with a few hand tools ...   ;/

You still can, if you've got steelies... just have to be careful.
I still have a set of truck bars in the garage.