Author Topic: Jarritos Soda  (Read 3955 times)

pawcatch

Jarritos Soda
« on: March 17, 2006, 09:09:11 PM »
I've been drinking this mexican soda for a couple years now and I won't go back to Fanta.
It's made with sugar instead of corn syrup and has a much more mild flavor.

Has anybody else tried this stuff?

Fly320s

• friend
  • Formerly, Arthur, King of the Britons
Jarritos Soda
« Reply #1 on: March 18, 2006, 08:22:57 AM »
I think I have had Jarritos, sounds familiar.

On the subject of sugar over corn syrup, which all in favor of, Famous Dave's bbq restaurant offers a root beer that uses sugar not corn syrup.
Islamic sex dolls.  Do they blow themselves up?

Justin

• friend
Jarritos Soda
« Reply #2 on: March 18, 2006, 10:05:38 AM »
Have had Jarritos in the past.  Good stuff.

Also, ever try a Coke or Pepsi that was bottled south of the border?  Different taste, because they use cane sugar instead of corn syrup to flavor it.

Interesting how the fedgov's meddling in the sugar industry has resulted in the widespread use of an inferior sweetener.
Your secretary is not a graphic designer, and Microsoft Word is not adequate for print design.

HForrest

Jarritos Soda
« Reply #3 on: March 18, 2006, 11:05:53 AM »
Cane sugar is definitely better than HFCS. Jarritos is good, and I'll second the whole thing about foreign Coke/Pepsi-- it definitely tastes better. We had a restaurant selling Mexican-bottled Coke for a while here, pretty good stuff.

Stand_watie

• friend
Jarritos Soda
« Reply #4 on: March 18, 2006, 06:37:33 PM »
Quote from: Combat-wombat
Cane sugar is definitely better than HFCS. Jarritos is good, and I'll second the whole thing about foreign Coke/Pepsi-- it definitely tastes better. We had a restaurant selling Mexican-bottled Coke for a while here, pretty good stuff.
I know you can buy it in Houston at the Mexican targeted grocery stores. My cousin always picks up a bunch for his Mexican wife when they are down there visiting her family. They talked about it being different, but I didn't realize it was because of sugar vs corn syrup.
Yizkor. Lo Od Pa'am

"You can have my gun when you pry it from my cold dead fingers"

"Never again"

"Malone Labe"

chaim

• friend
    • http://groups.msn.com/TaurusTalk/_whatsnew.msnw
Jarritos Soda
« Reply #5 on: March 18, 2006, 07:11:22 PM »
Similar idea-

If you like the old pre-new Coke original receipe, not the "Coke Classic" you can still get the old thing.  Prior to ths "New Coke" mistake Coke used sugar not corn syrup.  The "Coke Classic" which supposedly went back to the "old Coke" used corn syrup (I half wonder sometimes if they intentionally screwed up with "New Coke" so we wouldn't really notice the real change in the corn syrup Coke we now have).

If you are in a market with a decent sized Jewish community you can get the real Coke with sugar instead of corn syrup.  For Passover we can't have corn based products so regular Coke would not be kosher for Passover.  In markets with a large enough Jewish community Coke bottles Coke that is Kosher for Passover made with sugar.  Usually it is the same price as regular Coke.  Look for a yellow lid with a letter U inside a circle and a letter P next to it and it will be Kosher for Passover and made with sugar.  Stock up as it is only a seasonal item and will be gone from the shelves come mid to late April (earlier depending upon the local stores' stock).
Come visit my MSN Group: Taurus Talk
http://groups.msn.com/TaurusTalk/_whatsnew.msnw

Stand_watie

• friend
Jarritos Soda
« Reply #6 on: March 19, 2006, 05:42:03 AM »
Quote from: chaim
 For Passover we can't have corn based products so regular Coke would not be kosher for Passover.  In markets with a large enough Jewish community Coke bottles Coke that is Kosher for Passover made with sugar.  Usually it is the same price as regular Coke.  Look for a yellow lid with a letter U inside a circle and a letter P next to it and it will be Kosher for Passover and made with sugar.
Now don't tell me the free market doesn't beat government regulation visa vi providing a variety of products to meet different needs. I don't suppose the corn syrup vs sugar in regards to passover kosher is easily explainable or do you have a link? Just curious.
Yizkor. Lo Od Pa'am

"You can have my gun when you pry it from my cold dead fingers"

"Never again"

"Malone Labe"

Jarritos Soda
« Reply #7 on: March 19, 2006, 11:55:10 AM »
I don't suppose the corn syrup vs sugar in regards to passover kosher is easily explainable or do you have a link? Just curious.
I *think* that any foods derived from grains are verbotten during passover. This would include corn syrup, as it is derived from corn, which is a grain.

Government regulation doesnt forbid the use of sugar, it just makes it more expensive. Coke certainly has a much lower profit margin on the passover-cola than on their regular stuff, which is probably why they dont sell it year round. There are plenty of small soda manufactures that use real sugar, they just cost more.

S. Williamson

• formerly Dionysusigma
  • friends
  • It's not the years, it's the mileage.
Jarritos Soda
« Reply #8 on: March 20, 2006, 04:14:45 PM »
At least it's not Barrilitos... :/

/longtime Sangria Senorial fan

"The chances of finding out what's really going on are so remote, the only thing to do is hang the sense of it and keep yourself occupied. I'd far rather be happy than right any day."
"And are you?"
"No, that's where it all falls apart I'm afraid. Pity, it sounds like quite a nice lifestyle otherwise."
-Douglas Adams