Author Topic: 28-gauge Revolver?!  (Read 10982 times)

gunsmith

• I forgot to get vaccinated!
  • friend
  • I'm sorry, Dave. I'm afraid I can't do that.
28-gauge Revolver?!
« on: January 18, 2011, 12:01:02 AM »
I may want one, not because I need it but just so I can say I have it. I was never impressed with the other .410/.45LC judge ... but 28 gauge? whoa....

http://beforeitsnews.com/story/362/314/Taurus_Introduces_the_Raging_Judge_in_New_Caliber.html

Politicians and bureaucrats are considered productive if they swarm the populace like a plague of locust, devouring all substance in their path and leaving a swath of destruction like a firestorm. The technical term is "bipartisanship".
Rocket Man: "The need for booster shots for the immunized has always been based on the science.  Political science, not medical science."

Gowen

• Metal smith
  • friend
    • Gemoriah.com
Re: 28-gauge Revolver?!
« Reply #1 on: January 18, 2011, 12:11:20 AM »
Link didn't work.  Here's a peek:

http://cheaperthandirt.com/blog/?p=5980&cpage=1
"That's my hat, I'm the leader!" Napoleon the Bloodhound

Gemoriah.com

zxcvbob

• friend
« Reply #2 on: January 18, 2011, 12:13:44 AM »
So is it a NFA "Any Other Weapon" since 28 gauge is over .50", or do they cheat a little and the barrel is just .495"?  (I always thought 32 gauge made more sense than .410 for a car gun.)

BTW, I don't like Taurus, and I don't particularly like .410, but I kind of want a "Circuit Judge"
"It's good, though..."

280plus

• friend
  • Ever get that sinking feeling?
« Reply #3 on: January 18, 2011, 07:03:34 AM »
Hate Taurus. Anyone want to buy a POS .22 mag revolver that JAMS?  ;)

I was so happt whaen I got that thing, then I tried shooting it.  [barf]
Avoid cliches like the plague!

HankB

• friend
« Reply #4 on: January 18, 2011, 08:30:16 AM »
Hate Taurus. Anyone want to buy a POS .22 mag revolver that JAMS?  ;)

I was so happt whaen I got that thing, then I tried shooting it.  [barf]
When I was working as a range safety officer at my old gun club, in one day, thanks to a sale by a local dealer, I saw four brand new Taurus PT92s come through the range . . . two worked OK, one was a jammamatic, and the last one broke on the first shot.

A 50% failure rate for brand new pistols didn't impress me.
Trump won in 2016. Democrats haven't been so offended since Republicans came along and freed their slaves.
Sometimes I wonder if the world is being run by smart people who are putting us on, or by imbeciles who really mean it. - Mark Twain
Government is a broker in pillage, and every election is a sort of advance auction in stolen goods. - H.L. Mencken
Patriotism is supporting your country all the time, and your government when it deserves it. - Mark Twain

280plus

• friend
« Reply #5 on: January 18, 2011, 08:56:10 AM »
On the .22 mag there is some problem inherent to the action that makes the thing jam, like something is hanging up in there. Very strange. I took a look inside and couldn't figure it out. I had bought it as a backup for hunting but can't trust it. What I should do is sell the effer because it's just sitting there with less than 100 rounds through it and tieing up money I could use for a different gun.  =|

That reminds me. Time to renew the hunting license.  =)

charby

• Necromancer
  • Administrator
  • APS's Resident Sikh/Muslim
« Reply #6 on: January 18, 2011, 10:02:18 AM »
On the .22 mag there is some problem inherent to the action that makes the thing jam, like something is hanging up in there. Very strange. I took a look inside and couldn't figure it out. I had bought it as a backup for hunting but can't trust it. What I should do is sell the effer because it's just sitting there with less than 100 rounds through it and tieing up money I could use for a different gun.  =|

That reminds me. Time to renew the hunting license.  =)

My mom has the 8 shot snub nosed one and never had a problem.
Iowa- 88% more livable that the rest of the US

Uranus is a gas giant.

Team 444: Member# 536

griz

• friend
« Reply #7 on: January 18, 2011, 10:16:48 AM »
A 28 gauge Judge?  I hate to ask, but what is it supposed to be for?  Maybe I just don't get it.
Sent from a stone age computer via an ordinary keyboard.

220_SWIFT

• friend
« Reply #8 on: January 18, 2011, 10:20:48 AM »
The Raging Judge is chambered for 454 Casull/45 Colt/410.  There is NO way that it is chambered for 28ga.

http://www.taurususa.com/product-details.cfm?id=702&category=Revolver&breadcrumbseries=&search=raging%20judge

280plus

• friend
« Reply #9 on: January 18, 2011, 10:24:21 AM »
My mom has the 8 shot snub nosed one and never had a problem.
.22 mag? And, how old? I have the 4" barrel and guessing now I've had it for 2 years.

Marnoot

• friend
« Reply #10 on: January 18, 2011, 10:26:52 AM »
I'm not defending Taurus' spotty QA record, but I did have a thought as I was reading the above comments. Taurus always gets a lot of hate, but Keltec (whose QA record is just as bad, in my experience) generally gets (more of) a pass. Why is that the case?

GigaBuist

• friends
    • http://www.justinbuist.org/blog/
« Reply #11 on: January 18, 2011, 10:29:09 AM »
The Raging Judge is chambered for 454 Casull/45 Colt/410.  There is NO way that it is chambered for 28ga.

http://www.taurususa.com/product-details.cfm?id=702&category=Revolver&breadcrumbseries=&search=raging%20judge

It's real, and it's in 28 gauge.  This just came out at SHOT show.  They wouldn't have it on their website until, at the earliest, the show is done.

I'm not defending Taurus' spotty QA record, but I did have a thought as I was reading the above comments. Taurus always gets a lot of hate, but Keltec (whose QA record is just as bad, in my experience) generally gets (more of) a pass. Why is that the case?

KelTec's warranty service includes fixing the gun, not just shipping it back to you like Taurus does.

280plus

• friend
« Reply #12 on: January 18, 2011, 10:29:29 AM »
I have a P-32 that seems to run fine. it's actually my main carry these days. I did replace the "polymer" (It's not "plastic!") guide rod with steel though.

The lady on the phone gave me doo doo for calling the existing rod "plastic" when I ordered the steel rod.  :laugh:

charby

• Necromancer
  • Administrator
« Reply #13 on: January 18, 2011, 10:31:15 AM »
.22 mag? And, how old? I have the 4" barrel and guessing now I've had it for 2 years.

yep .22 mag probably 4-5 years old

Uranus is a gas giant.

280plus

• friend
« Reply #14 on: January 18, 2011, 10:43:50 AM »
Hmph, either she got a good one or I got a lemon. Well, I KNOW I got a lemon but the question becomes how many more lemons are out there?

I should take it in and get it looked at but in the meatime, and you're going to love this, CT secretly changed the wording on allowable calibers for hunting from ".22 Rimfire" which allows .22 mag to ".22 LR" just last season. Yea, we can use .22 LR to hunt on state land. Th-th-th-th-That's all folks!  ;/

Anyhow, it's a DAMN good thing I held off on that .22 mag Henry I had my eye on.  =|

Fly320s

• friend
  • Formerly, Arthur, King of the Britons
« Reply #15 on: January 18, 2011, 11:18:06 AM »
I was never impressed with the other .410/.45LC
Well, then, you won't be impressed by what S&W unveiled at SHOT: The Governor. It is a .45/.410 revolver.
Islamic sex dolls.  Do they blow themselves up?

charby

• Necromancer
  • Administrator
« Reply #16 on: January 18, 2011, 11:38:31 AM »
Hmph, either she got a good one or I got a lemon. Well, I KNOW I got a lemon but the question becomes how many more lemons are out there?

I should take it in and get it looked at but in the meatime, and you're going to love this, CT secretly changed the wording on allowable calibers for hunting from ".22 Rimfire" which allows .22 mag to ".22 LR" just last season. Yea, we can use .22 LR to hunt on state land. Th-th-th-th-That's all folks!  ;/

Anyhow, it's a DAMN good thing I held off on that .22 mag Henry I had my eye on.  =|

Must be the magnum name that scared them.

Uranus is a gas giant.

lee n. field

• friend
  • tinpot megalomaniac, Paulbot, hardware goon
« Reply #17 on: January 18, 2011, 11:43:16 AM »
And, I saw the S&W is looking to move in on the absurd hyperthyroid noisemakeing toy niche.

Hate Taurus. Anyone want to buy a POS .22 mag revolver that JAMS?  ;)

I was so happt whaen I got that thing, then I tried shooting it.  [barf]

Hey, I'll give you $50 for it.

Quote from: Marnoot
Taurus always gets a lot of hate, but Keltec (whose QA record is just as bad, in my experience) generally gets (more of) a pass. Why is that the case?

'Cause their rep is for taking care of the problem promptly, and sending parts out liberally.
In thy presence is fulness of joy.
At thy right hand pleasures for evermore.

HankB

• friend
« Reply #18 on: January 18, 2011, 11:48:34 AM »
KelTec's warranty service includes fixing the gun, not just shipping it back to you like Taurus does.
Ah, so Taurus is like Colt's in that regard.
Well, then, you won't be impressed by what S&W unveiled at SHOT: The Governor. It is a .45/.410 revolver.
So now it's becoming standard to name guns after government employees? What next, a revolver made out of recycled aluminum and a frame made out of old soda bottles which fires only  lead-free biodegradable bullets, labeled "The EPA Director?"

Or maybe a single-shot - imported from Kenya - called The President?
Trump won in 2016. Democrats haven't been so offended since Republicans came along and freed their slaves.
Sometimes I wonder if the world is being run by smart people who are putting us on, or by imbeciles who really mean it. - Mark Twain
Government is a broker in pillage, and every election is a sort of advance auction in stolen goods. - H.L. Mencken
Patriotism is supporting your country all the time, and your government when it deserves it. - Mark Twain

GigaBuist

• friends
    • http://www.justinbuist.org/blog/
« Reply #19 on: January 18, 2011, 11:55:08 AM »
What next, a revolver made out of recycled aluminum and a frame made out of old soda bottles which fires only lead-free biodegradable bullets, labeled "The EPA Director?"

HankB to the white courtesy phone, it's Taurus' R&D department on line 4.

AJ Dual

• friends
  • Shoe Ballistics Inc.
« Reply #20 on: January 18, 2011, 11:58:17 AM »
And IMO, Kel-Tec's QC issues are more with them taking chances on bleeding edge designs, rather than "cheapness".

P32 - Is the lightest slimmest locked-breech auto pistol on the market.
P3AT - Ditto but for .380ACP.
PF9 - Ditto but for 9mm.
P11- Haven't heard of any issues/complaints in a long time...
PMR30 - 30 shot .22mag plinker/pack gun.

And keep in mind, NONE of the super-tiny single-stack polymer framed autos has gotten out unscathed. Kahr PM9's have had issues. Rorbaugh had to go back to a metal frame and gave up on the carbon fiber/polymer (plus costs like $900 or whatever). When the went and blatantly copied Kel-Tec, Ruger's LCP had that infamous recall on their LCP .380. The Walther PPS "cheats" by giving it that tall fivehead slide to add extra mass to ensure feed/cycling reliability, and aside from it's thin profile, has weight/size figures more like a compact auto, than a true sub-compact auto.

Glock hasn't even taken a stab at a sub-compact yet, partly due to import issues, but that's gone away now that Smyrna GA has full production capability for slides etc. If they don't come out with a single stack micro-9 at SHOT going on this week... They're not making one because they're afraid to.

Then there's the other Kel-Tec innovations. Like SUB9/SUB2000, whole rifle folds in half. The RFB .308 bullpup, where apparently they've gotten the very first production bullpup with a good trigger ever to market.

So I think Kel-Tec's reliability reputation, whatever that may be when you take the "common knowledge" out of it, (kind of like the Glock KB-thing/rumors) and look at the real failure return numbers, if you could, it's because they're taking chances on the actual nature of the product.

I promise not to duck.

Pharmacology

• friends
« Reply #21 on: January 18, 2011, 02:35:04 PM »
That thing looks like it'll be a boat load of fun to shoot. :)

P.S.  my mother's PT-145 is a joy to shoot, and runs like a clock

Marnoot

• friend
« Reply #22 on: January 18, 2011, 02:49:15 PM »
I certainly have no complaints about Keltec's customer service, but any time I look at a Keltec in the future I will be mentally adding the $50+ cost of shipping the firearm overnight from Utah to Florida to the purchase price when considering the purchase.

Jamisjockey

• Booze-fueled paragon of pointless cruelty and wanton sadism
  • friend
  • Your mom sends me care packages
« Reply #23 on: January 18, 2011, 03:17:08 PM »
That thing looks like it'll be a boat load of fun to shoot. :)

P.S.  my mother's PT-145 is a joy to shoot, and runs like a clock

I had a Pt145 and it ran well, but was not a joy to shoot. TETO I guess, but I wasn't a big fan.
JD

The price of a lottery ticket seems to be the maximum most folks are willing to risk toward the dream of becoming a one-percenter. “Robert Hollis”

AJ Dual

• friends
  • Shoe Ballistics Inc.
« Reply #24 on: January 18, 2011, 03:29:06 PM »
Maybe they could come up with some duplex loads for 28ga.

Like it shoots a .38spl as a "second stage" or something.  =D
I promise not to duck.