Author Topic: Scooter/Moped questions  (Read 3328 times)

brimic

• friends
Re: Scooter/Moped questions
« Reply #25 on: January 24, 2011, 10:36:17 AM »
just don't want to drive a car without an alternator for 3 hours and try to charge it over and over the way down.
Yes, don't do this, you'll end up stranded in the worst place possible.

Wow. I'm willing to try, but:

http://www.ehow.com/how_5106239_change-alternator-ford-contour.html

Plan to take an afternoon to change the alternator in your Ford Contour. The Contour has an unusually complicated design, and you will become far less frustrated if you do not feel under a time pressure to do the job.

Emphasis mine. Looks like I might be in for a
n interesting afternoon this saturday. Hope it's at least 40º. (Weather predicted to be 43. Might be able to try it.)

That doesn't sound too bad. A few extra steps, but nothing complicated at all.
"now you see that evil will always triumph, because good is dumb" -Dark Helmet

"AK47's belong in the hands of soldiers mexican drug cartels"-
Barack Obama

erictank

• friends
« Reply #26 on: January 24, 2011, 10:56:44 AM »
I remember the Ford Feista/Festiva (I can't remember which one it was, and I think they were the same car but different years.) Had a guy with one on my paper route growing up. Looked like a Yugo, but that thing just ran and ran...

A guy I worked with at the power plant owned a Festiva, IIRC.  A BIG guy - it would list sharply when he got into it - but it never did quit on him and it got him where he needed to go.  That little 3-cyl. engine was miserly on fuel use, too.

cassandra and sara's daddy

• friends
It is much more powerful to seek Truth for one's self.  Seeing and hearing that others seem to have found it can be a motivation.  With me, I was drawn because of much error and bad judgment on my part. Confronting one's own errors and bad judgment is a very life altering situation.  Confronting the errors and bad judgment of others is usually hypocrisy.

by someone older and wiser than I

Harold Tuttle

• Professor Chromedome
  • friend
« Reply #28 on: January 24, 2011, 02:04:16 PM »
i did the alternator and idler pulley on my turbo beetle for less than 200 dollars and it took ~4 hours in the garage

I had to remove the alternator thru the passengerside headlight opening
"The true mad scientist does not make public appearances! He does not wear the "Hello, my name is.." badge!
He strikes from below like a viper or on high like a penny dropped from the tallest building around!
He only has one purpose--Do bad things to good people! Mit science! What good is science if no one gets hurt?!"

mtnbkr

• friend
« Reply #29 on: January 24, 2011, 02:13:46 PM »
It was $700 for the alternator. And I realize that's high, but prices for all mechanic services are very high in the DC area. If I were nearly anywhere else in Virginia the labor costs drop by half, at least.

I've had work done in Lynchburg where my in-laws live and it's nowhere near as high. I just don't want to drive a car without an alternator for 3 hours and try to charge it over and over the way down. ;)

I'll look into changing out the alternator. The other parts were suggested but not necessary yet.

According to this site, the Contour alternator can be a bit involved, especially for a 2.5L 6 cyl: http://www.ehow.com/how_5074709_remove-ford-contour-alternator.html

Chris

Bogie

• friend
  • Hunkered in South St. Louis, right by Route 66
    • Third Rate Pundit
« Reply #30 on: January 24, 2011, 02:20:16 PM »
Yeah, you might be able to get around taking apart the front-end stuff... Wouldn't hurt to lift it up and take a good look at it.
Blog under construction

Physics

• ∇xE=-1/c·∂B/∂t, ∇·E=4πρ, ∇·B=0, ∇xB=1/c·∂E/∂t, F=q(E+v/cxB)
  • friend
« Reply #31 on: January 24, 2011, 09:42:51 PM »
You will definitely save some money on gas.  I spend $3 to fill my tank currently, and only have to do it 2 or 3 times a week.
In the world of science, there is physics.  Everything else is stamp collecting.  -Ernest Rutherford

MillCreek

• Skippy The Wonder Dog
  • friend
  • APS Risk Manager
« Reply #32 on: January 24, 2011, 09:45:18 PM »
My 460 cc Aprilia Scarabeo 500 maxi-scooter gets 60-65 MPG and my 650 cc Suzuki DR650 gets around 50 MPG.  I have read that the 50 cc scooters can get 90-100 MPG easy. 

Quote from: Angel Eyes on August 09, 2018, 01:56:15 AM
You are one lousy risk manager.

KD5NRH

• friends
  • I'm too sexy for you people.
« Reply #33 on: January 25, 2011, 12:08:53 AM »
Yeah, you might be able to get around taking apart the front-end stuff... Wouldn't hurt to lift it up and take a good look at it.

Definitely look it over; I've sometimes been able to bypass most of the "in through the wheelwell" disassembly steps by cranking the wheels all the way to that side, removing all of the liner bolts, and just shoving it over enough to reach through to whatever I need to get to.  Never worked on a Contour, though.

GigaBuist

• friends
    • http://www.justinbuist.org/blog/
« Reply #34 on: January 25, 2011, 02:03:39 PM »
You will definitely save some money on gas.  I spend $3 to fill my tank currently, and only have to do it 2 or 3 times a week.

Yep, that is nice.  I rode a moped for a while (it was stolen 10 days after I bought it) and you'd get a lot of weird looks on the road.  Not so much at the gas station.

gunsmith

• I forgot to get vaccinated!
  • friend
  • I'm sorry, Dave. I'm afraid I can't do that.
« Reply #35 on: January 25, 2011, 02:42:23 PM »
I have years and years of experience on scooters and motorcycles and once I got on a motorcycle I kicked myself for riding scooters.

You can find a decent learning motorcycle for 1000. ... maybe this one, I learned on the same model but a 400 - great bike I put 100,000 on mine   http://washingtondc.craigslist.org/nva/mcy/2178418634.html

http://washingtondc.craigslist.org/mld/mcy/2177010814.html

really, you can ride a mc for cheaper longer then a car or a scooter, scooters do not last long and are more expensive to fix. insurance for a mc is cheap
Politicians and bureaucrats are considered productive if they swarm the populace like a plague of locust, devouring all substance in their path and leaving a swath of destruction like a firestorm. The technical term is "bipartisanship".
Rocket Man: "The need for booster shots for the immunized has always been based on the science.  Political science, not medical science."