Author Topic: Sigh..grampster under the knife..again..  (Read 4338 times)

grampster

• friend
Sigh..grampster under the knife..again..
« on: March 21, 2006, 02:56:48 PM »
Well, I got the news today.  My Gall Bladder appears to be an alien entity in my body.
I've been having lower abdominal discomfort (pain-Vicodin is a friend) since January.
It screwed up our retirement vacation in Key West and I've been bouncing from doctor to test to pill throughout and since.  Fasting, eating, drinking, no drinking, changing diet, liquid, no meat, meat, veggies, no veggies, fruit, no fruit, etc etc ad nauseum.  Throughout all of this I keep saying:  Could this be my gall bladder?   "No grampster, your cat scan says no...it's diverticulosis...it's diverticulitis...it's adhesions from your prostate cancer surgery..it's...well...we're not sure...never seen anything like this, take a pill see us in 2 weeks.

Finally, my regular doc sends me to the surgeon after I began wearing out my welcome in his office and tying up his phone.  She (the surgeon) is a skinny, curly black haired  young thing, probably just out of med school.  Somehow, I think maybe I'm her first patient.  I like new docs.  They're interested, especially if you're their first spot under the microscope.  She actually looked at me like I might be a sentient being.  I have a strange sense of confidence in her.

She says, "What's the problem grampster?"  I sez, "You want the long story or the short one?"  She sez, "The long one."  Her stock just jumped 100 points.

So I go through it.  She sez, "I'm gonna send you for a ultra sound on your gall bladder.  Did you have one yet?"  "Nope", sez I, "but not for lack of asking."
"Well" she says, "If that shows nothing, we have a new test we can do that tests function rather than just looking at its condition".  Well the ultra sound showed it was bad and her office called and said surgery is scheduled for April 3.  It'll be laproscopic and out of the hospital within 23 hours.  Trust me, 3 months of cramps and abdominal pain is no treat.  It'll be worth the surgery if that's the total problem.

I am registered at every local liquor store in the lower 48 for single malts, Catholic irish whiskey and vsop cognac.  I'm depending on y'all for your prayers and recuperation gifts of the above.  Just kiddin' about the whiskey.  The support I got from y'all in the way of kind remarks last spring on the cancer thing did a lot for me and my confident entry into that arena.  So, I'm asking for that moral support again from my friends of the ether net.

PS:  All of you males age 40+, get your psa tested and digital prostate exam.  It's a lifesaver, take it from me.

grampster
"Never wrestle with a pig.  You get dirty, and besides, the pig likes it."  G.B. Shaw

Unisaw

• friend
« Reply #1 on: March 21, 2006, 03:20:11 PM »
Grampster,  I'll keep you in my prayers.
Well, if you have the sudden urge to lick your balls you'll know you got the veterinary version... K Frame

Standing Wolf

• friend
« Reply #2 on: March 21, 2006, 03:24:21 PM »
I'm sending my best hopes your way, auld friend.
No tyrant should ever be allowed to die of natural causes.

kudu

• friend
« Reply #3 on: March 21, 2006, 03:44:43 PM »
Sending my best and will keep the prayers coming grampster.  Keep us posted with the play by play.

Felonious Monk/Fignozzle

« Reply #4 on: March 21, 2006, 04:36:29 PM »
Had it when I was 37.  It's a breeze, relatively speaking.  If you really want to/ have to/ got to, you can have it done on a Friday and be limited duty by Monday.  I laid around soaking up the sympathy and service for 2 weeks.
You deserve at LEAST that much.

Get better quick, my friend!

mtnbkr

• friend
« Reply #5 on: March 21, 2006, 05:03:20 PM »
I had mine out this fall.  It's an easy procedure and recuperation is quick.  I had mine out Thursday morning and was back at work Tuesday.  I could've been back Monday, but regular pants still irritated the lower incision and I wasn't going to wear a mumu to the office. Wink

Chris

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
« Reply #6 on: March 21, 2006, 05:10:08 PM »
"I wasn't going to wear a mumu to the office."

But you look so fetching in a mumu...
Carbon Monoxide, sucking the life out of idiots, 'tards, and fools since man tamed fire.

SpookyPistolero

• friend
« Reply #7 on: March 21, 2006, 05:11:19 PM »
So sorry to hear it! Hope it goes as smoothly for you as these gents say it went for them. Be sending you all my prayers and good thoughts.
"She could not have reached this white serenity except as the sum of all the colors, of all the violence she had known." - The Fountainhead
"Smoke your pipe and be silent; there's only wind and smoke in the world"  - Irish Proverb

matis

• friend
« Reply #8 on: March 21, 2006, 06:01:54 PM »
Grampster, all the best, heal quickly and recover completely.

mtis
Si vis pacem; para bellum.

Laurent du Var

• friends
« Reply #9 on: March 21, 2006, 10:24:49 PM »
Good luck, I'll send some Bordeaux after the third of April.
Vada a bordo, Cazzo!

Stand_watie

• friend
« Reply #10 on: March 21, 2006, 10:41:50 PM »
I'll be sure to pray.
Yizkor. Lo Od Pa'am

"You can have my gun when you pry it from my cold dead fingers"

"Never again"

"Malone Labe"

« Reply #11 on: March 22, 2006, 12:32:21 AM »
Wow, they're gonna have to start giving you volume discounts!

I hope you get better soon..everyone I know felt better after having it done.

280plus

• friend
  • Ever get that sinking feeling?
« Reply #12 on: March 22, 2006, 12:56:41 AM »
Get well quick grampster! We're all pulling for you!

Cheesy
Avoid cliches like the plague!

mtnbkr

• friend
« Reply #13 on: March 22, 2006, 01:42:53 AM »
Hey, if it's full of stones, see if they'll give 'em too ya.  My grandfather kept his gallstones when they removed his GB (it's a family problem, many of us have had ours removed).

Chris

280plus

• friend
  • Ever get that sinking feeling?
« Reply #14 on: March 22, 2006, 01:51:26 AM »
You guys have to stop eating stones...

Don't tell me let me guess. Stone soup?

Cheesy
Avoid cliches like the plague!

Balog

• Unrepentant race traitor
  • friends
  • What if we tried more?
« Reply #15 on: March 22, 2006, 01:54:30 AM »
I'll be praying. Let us know how it goes for you.
Quote from: French G.
I was always pleasant, friendly and within arm's reach of a gun.

Quote from: Standing Wolf
If government is the answer, it must have been a really, really, really stupid question.

bermbuster

• friend
« Reply #16 on: March 22, 2006, 01:59:22 AM »
Piece o cake.  I had mine snatched out a few years ago after an experience similar but not nearly as drawn out as you described.  When they finally did an ultrasound the technician said, "Girl, yo gallbladder is FULL of stones."  I could have kissed her.

The procedure is straightforward and (relatively speaking) easy.  You will soon feel FAR better than you have felt for a long time.

Take care.  Keep us posted.

bb

El Tejon

• friend
    • http://www.kirkfreemanlaw.com
« Reply #17 on: March 22, 2006, 02:20:01 AM »
So, do you have a "surgery card" like those sandwhich cards at Subway?

After 5 operations, your 6th one is free?  Or maybe just a free bag of pretzels?Cheesy

Good luck, I'm sure everything will be fine.
I do not smoke pot, wear Wookie suits, live in my mom's basement, collect unemployment checks or eat Cheetoes, therefore I am not a Ron Paul voter.

garrettwc

• friend
  • Tell me what I want to know and the pain will stop
« Reply #18 on: March 22, 2006, 03:01:15 AM »
Best wishes for a speedy recovery.

Gotta love new doctors. New enough not to have their time tied up with pharmaceutical salesman so they can actually still learn about the latest treatments.

SADShooter

• friend
« Reply #19 on: March 22, 2006, 04:53:59 AM »
Best wishes, and stay healthy. We have to keep our curmudgeon quotient up around here, you know...
"Ah, is there any wine so sweet and intoxicating as the tears of a hippie?"-Tamara, View From the Porch

Gewehr98

• friend
  • Yee-haa!
    • Neural Misfires (Blog)
« Reply #20 on: March 22, 2006, 05:56:14 AM »
Keeping you in my prayers, Grampster.

BTW, how does the body function sans gall bladder?  Extra pills, special diet?
"Bother", said Pooh, as he chambered another round...

http://neuralmisfires.blogspot.com

"Never squat with your spurs on!"

mtnbkr

• friend
« Reply #21 on: March 22, 2006, 06:03:45 AM »
Gewehr, it functions just fine and with no meds or diet.  All the gallbladder does is store excess bile, secreted by the liver, until needed.  Without the gallbladder, there's no storage mechanism, but the bile is still produced and excreted into the stomach as needed.  If you look at the bile system, there are mutiple routes for the bile, the gallbladder is just one of those routes.

If anything, a person with gallbladder disease (catchall term for all gallbladder problems) needs a special diet to reduce discomfort if they choose not to have the surgery.

Chris

Larry Ashcraft

• Administrator
« Reply #22 on: March 22, 2006, 06:14:59 AM »
Grampster,

All our best is coming your way.  You were a big help to my mom during her (still ongoing) hip surgery.

FWIW, my mother in law had hers removed when she was in her mid seventies.  She came out of the hospital a literally new person.

grampster

• friend
« Reply #23 on: March 22, 2006, 06:40:10 AM »
Hey guys and gals,

Thanks for the chance to whine a bit.  Appreciate your support.  Gotta love the internet and especially APS with all you fine folks.  Sounds like I'll be feeling pretty fine after this is over, judging from some of the comments.  Last 3 months have been a drag.
"Never wrestle with a pig.  You get dirty, and besides, the pig likes it."  G.B. Shaw

BillBlank

• friend
« Reply #24 on: March 22, 2006, 07:26:27 AM »
Where's my promised picture of you in florida wearing hideous shorts eh? Celebrating retirement with surgery. Gotta love the big mans sense of humour. Good luck and fair winds old chum and I still want those pictures Smiley.
Just so happens Satan's behind the bar pulling the late shift for a buddy...