Author Topic: Not quite mad engineering  (Read 5485 times)

41magsnub

• friend
  • Don't make me assume my ultimate form!
Not quite mad engineering
« on: January 27, 2011, 01:26:02 AM »
I have a start of a plan in the back of my head for a modular cargo platform and spare tire carrier.

Has anybody seen anything like this before?  I now have a 94 land cruiser, a 220v MIG welder, metal cut off saw, and a plasma cutter with mad engineering on my mind.

The LC has the factory receiver hitch.  Going off of the assumption I one day soon may go to bigger tires than what fits underneath I would need a tire carrier.

Also, I head to the woods frequently to my cabin where I set up base camp and then head off from there.  The interior of the land cruiser is not big enough for the fancy cooler along with the other toys we use so a cargo platform would work great.  Except...  how does that work with the spare tire mount.

My idea is to build two separate units with hitch pass throughs.  Normal driving I have the swing out tire mount in the rigs receiver.

When towing a trailer I would insert a hitch into the back of the spare tire mount.  It might need a safety chain and trailer light plug extension but those would be trivial if necessary.

To use the cargo carrier, I would plug it directly into the LC's receiver, then plug the spare tire mount into the back of the platform.  I would need to design the platform's framework to be strong enough to handle this.  It seems like it would be pushing my luck to try to attach a trailer behind the cargo platform and the tire mount.

The .. ahem..  diagrams below might show this better than I am explaining.  I made no attempt at scale in the diagrams.

« Last Edit: January 27, 2011, 01:31:11 AM by 41magsnub »

cassandra and sara's daddy

• friends
Re: Not quite mad engineering
« Reply #1 on: January 27, 2011, 05:41:27 AM »
nice plan   consider way to keep license plate visible  cops like that  and maybe mounting tail/brake lights on platform so if you carry bulky stuff it does't hide lights
It is much more powerful to seek Truth for one's self.  Seeing and hearing that others seem to have found it can be a motivation.  With me, I was drawn because of much error and bad judgment on my part. Confronting one's own errors and bad judgment is a very life altering situation.  Confronting the errors and bad judgment of others is usually hypocrisy.

by someone older and wiser than I

Jamisjockey

• Booze-fueled paragon of pointless cruelty and wanton sadism
  • friend
  • Your mom sends me care packages
« Reply #2 on: January 27, 2011, 08:30:47 AM »
Yes, its been done.

Kind of.

http://www.bestop.com/index.php?s=47

My only suggestion about your settup is that you won't be able to use it off-road.  I'm also not sure about putting the trailer tounge that far back.  If you load it heavy, I'd think that you'll end up with alot of leverage pushing on the rear of the vehicle.  Might make for some squirrly handling.

JD

The price of a lottery ticket seems to be the maximum most folks are willing to risk toward the dream of becoming a one-percenter. “Robert Hollis”

Harold Tuttle

• Professor Chromedome
  • friend
"The true mad scientist does not make public appearances! He does not wear the "Hello, my name is.." badge!
He strikes from below like a viper or on high like a penny dropped from the tallest building around!
He only has one purpose--Do bad things to good people! Mit science! What good is science if no one gets hurt?!"

Jamisjockey

• Booze-fueled paragon of pointless cruelty and wanton sadism
  • friend
  • Your mom sends me care packages
« Reply #4 on: January 27, 2011, 09:42:22 AM »
JD

The price of a lottery ticket seems to be the maximum most folks are willing to risk toward the dream of becoming a one-percenter. “Robert Hollis”

41magsnub

• friend
« Reply #5 on: January 27, 2011, 10:28:25 AM »
I am a bit concerned about shifting the weight too far back with a trailer as JJ mentioned.  The whole set up looks longer in the diagram than I think it would really be.  I never thought the cargo platform would be a good idea while off roading, my plan would be to drop the platform at base camp chained to a tree.  Also, there is a concern that the whole thing would weigh 3 metric crap tons making it pretty unpleasant to take on and off.  As I think about it even just the spare tire + rim is a lot of weight.

The other option going through my head is to build a new bumper with the tire mount built into it.  Then the design requirements for the cargo platform go way down.  The bumper would be more work than just slapping a bunch of tube steel and grate together like the first plan though the challenge could be fun.

Another concern is the springs in the rear and all this additional weight.  Currently there is a 2.5" lift with heavy springs in the front and medium springs in the back.  I might need to upgrade the back to heavy springs too which is not a big deal.

GigaBuist

• friends
    • http://www.justinbuist.org/blog/
« Reply #6 on: January 27, 2011, 01:08:31 PM »
Might work.  Any chance you're related to this guy?

cassandra and sara's daddy

• friends
« Reply #7 on: January 27, 2011, 01:13:41 PM »
i shoulda taken pics of using the wifes crv to move the tandem axle dump trailer (it was empty)   
apropos to nothin at all a crv tranny rebuild is 3 k
It is much more powerful to seek Truth for one's self.  Seeing and hearing that others seem to have found it can be a motivation.  With me, I was drawn because of much error and bad judgment on my part. Confronting one's own errors and bad judgment is a very life altering situation.  Confronting the errors and bad judgment of others is usually hypocrisy.

by someone older and wiser than I

Headless Thompson Gunner

• friend
« Reply #8 on: January 27, 2011, 01:55:32 PM »
Swing out tire carrier on the rear bumper plus an ordinary trailer?

Maybe throw the spare up onto a roof rack?

French G.

• friend
  • ohhh sparkles!
« Reply #9 on: January 27, 2011, 02:00:36 PM »
Still married and still alive, that's the miracle there CSD.

Bet y'all have never seen one of those little mini Blazer like the one above unstick a 45K GVW Mack truck. The key is about 150 feet of heavy duty nylon web sling and lots of momentum. Wear your seatbelt.

My favorite dumb trailer trick involved my dad of course. He built himself a trailer, robbed and old Airstream for some really nice axles. Had a 24 foot aluminum diamond plate deck he had built for said Mack truck some years ago. Now all we need is a chassis. Hey look, his handy pile of 6"x8" galvanized steel! You know, just in case you need to make a building somewhere. Well, I don't know what the tongue weight was, I just know we carried a 2.5 ton Hein Werner floor jack to deal with it. Add 2 race cars for a 4K payload and we're off!! Tow vehicle? Why a 3/4t 454 Suburban of course. Well, I spent most of those trips driving one hand on the wheel, one hand on the trailer brake box, brake box being more useful for steering than the wheel. Above 60 the race cars would start doing their aerodynamic thing, so I tried not to get going fast. He finally relented and put an airbagged dual rear out of a 1.5 ton box truck under the Sub, that thing can tow anything now.
AKA Navy Joe   

I'm so contrarian that I didn't respond to the thread.

41magsnub

• friend
« Reply #10 on: January 27, 2011, 02:10:28 PM »
A new rear bumper with a built in spare tire mount is what I am thinking about now.  I was looking at some of those online and it is not hard at all to spend $2k on a install ready unit like this http://www.sleeoffroad.com/products/bumpers/rear_bumpers_80series.htm for example.

I would build it such that it was a similar profile vertically to the factory bumper so as to not interfere with the receiver hitch.  A license plate holder in a spot not blocked by the tire would not be difficult to add.  Then I could also put some jerrycan holders on it on the outside edges..  maybe horizontally so as to not block the tail lights.

Then, build the hitch cargo platform so that it matches the truck and since it only needs to be a platform I don't need to over engineer it as much.

I'm sure I could build something.  It might not be quite as pretty as one done by a shop staffed by folks who actually know what they are doing, but I could make it work and look decent.

I'd still probably need to do the heavy rear springs which I'm not afraid of.

The extra weight would undoubtedly hit the gas mileage but that is already a lost battle in a rig like this!
« Last Edit: January 27, 2011, 02:15:02 PM by 41magsnub »

KD5NRH

• friends
  • I'm too sexy for you people.
« Reply #11 on: January 27, 2011, 05:50:20 PM »
I'd probably look for a way to make it quick and easy to move the spare and/or its hanger between the back of the truck and the front outside wall of the trailer.  As a bonus, there's probably room on the front wall of the trailer to mount two or more spares, which can be a lifesaver when you're in the middle of nowhere.

Tallpine

• friends
  • Grumpy Old Grandpa
« Reply #12 on: January 28, 2011, 05:40:13 PM »
The spare tire goes on top of the hood  ;)

Not to mention the weight, but the farther behind the axle is the trailer ball, the more that the trailer will sway.

Really, why don't you get a one ton dually pickup, put all your stuff in the back, and then tow the Landcruiser up to the hills on a trailer ...   =|
Freedom is a heavy load, a great and strange burden for the spirit to undertake. It is not easy. It is not a gift given, but a choice made, and the choice may be a hard one. The road goes upward toward the light; but the laden traveller may never reach the end of it.  - Ursula Le Guin

41magsnub

• friend
« Reply #13 on: January 28, 2011, 06:29:35 PM »
The spare tire goes on top of the hood  ;)

Not to mention the weight, but the farther behind the axle is the trailer ball, the more that the trailer will sway.

Really, why don't you get a one ton dually pickup, put all your stuff in the back, and then tow the Landcruiser up to the hills on a trailer ...   =|

You are no fun at all...

Tallpine

• friends
  • Grumpy Old Grandpa
« Reply #14 on: January 28, 2011, 07:42:08 PM »
You are no fun at all...

It's the engineer part of me, I guess... if this goes wrong and that goes wrong at the same time, the plane will fall out of the sky and every one will die  :O
Freedom is a heavy load, a great and strange burden for the spirit to undertake. It is not easy. It is not a gift given, but a choice made, and the choice may be a hard one. The road goes upward toward the light; but the laden traveller may never reach the end of it.  - Ursula Le Guin

41magsnub

• friend
« Reply #15 on: January 28, 2011, 08:19:57 PM »
It's the engineer part of me, I guess... if this goes wrong and that goes wrong at the same time, the plane will fall out of the sky and every one will die   :O

k..  but I'm already past that idea and am on to just building a bumper with the tire swing out mount thing built in and then a separate cargo platform.  Trailer hitch stays unchanged.
« Last Edit: January 28, 2011, 08:31:03 PM by 41magsnub »

Nick1911

• Administrator
« Reply #16 on: January 28, 2011, 08:28:44 PM »
It's the engineer part of me, I guess... if this goes wrong and that goes wrong at the same time, the plane will fall out of the sky and every one will die  :O

Wash:       This landing is gonna get pretty interesting.
Reynolds: Define "interesting".
Wash:       Oh God, oh God, we're all going to die?

Tallpine

• friends
  • Grumpy Old Grandpa
« Reply #17 on: January 29, 2011, 11:50:09 AM »

Wash:       This landing is gonna get pretty interesting.
Reynolds: Define "interesting".
Wash:       Oh God, oh God, we're all going to die?

You let me know if that happens, okay?