Author Topic: Egypt: What's happening?  (Read 34344 times)

AZRedhawk44

• friends
Egypt: What's happening?
« on: January 27, 2011, 10:55:29 PM »
Is this good for American interests (i.e. Increased "westernization" that is being opposed by the governing powers), or is this bad for American interests (i.e. Radical Islam gaining traction in a slumping economy), or none of the above?
"But whether the Constitution really be one thing, or another, this much is certain - that it has either authorized such a government as we have had, or has been powerless to prevent it. In either case, it is unfit to exist."
--Lysander Spooner

I reject your authoritah!

MicroBalrog

• friend
Re: Egypt: What's happening?
« Reply #1 on: January 27, 2011, 11:00:40 PM »
Nobody knows. Obviously the Muslim Brotherhood is playing a role, and certainly our newspapers here have played them up, but I don't think anybody really knows, even the Egyptians themselves.

But! If you're interested I'm going to go out and get the weekend issue of Yedioth and see what they have to say.
Destroy The Enemy in Hand-to-Hand Combat.

"...tradition and custom becomes intertwined and are a strong coercion which directs the society upon fixed lines, and strangles liberty. " ~ William Graham Sumner

SADShooter

• friend
« Reply #2 on: January 28, 2011, 09:39:40 AM »
I'm not sure. I will say that I believe the flaw in our assumptions in attempting to democratize countries is that the necessary social/political institutions and values will grow organically out of a democratic process. It's fundamental principles and that make western systems work. Without the principles the mechanics are irrelevant.

If the destabilization in Egypt brings down Mubarak, it isn't necessarily good for our interests and could result in another islamic fundamentalist regime, if that's what a plebiscite (honest or otherwise) demands. Iran 2.0.

ETA: democratize, dammit.
« Last Edit: January 29, 2011, 10:20:25 AM by SADShooter »
"Ah, is there any wine so sweet and intoxicating as the tears of a hippie?"-Tamara, View From the Porch

Headless Thompson Gunner

• friend
« Reply #3 on: January 28, 2011, 01:13:52 PM »
I, too, would like to know what the riots are about.  The American press is noticeably silent on that wee little detail.  They don't say why the population is dissatisfied with the current government or what triggered the rioting, nor what the rioters hope to accomplish.

I'm not sure. I will say that I believe the flaw in our assumptions in attempting to democrate countries is that the necessary social/political institutions and values will grow organically out of a democratic process. It's fundamental principles and that make western systems work. Without the principles the mechanics are irrelevant.
What's this got to do with Egypt?  We did not try to democratize Eqypt, and Eqypt isn't democratic in any true sense.

longeyes

• friend
« Reply #4 on: January 28, 2011, 01:37:27 PM »
We have a dilemma: dictators or radical Islamist populism.  Both options are lousy.  If there's an answer it would have been to try and promote "Reform Islam" decades ago, but it's probably way, way too late for that now.
"Domari nolo."

Thug: What you lookin' at old man?
Walt Kowalski: Ever notice how you come across somebody once in a while you shouldn't have messed with? That's me.

Molon Labe.

MicroBalrog

• friend
« Reply #5 on: January 28, 2011, 01:43:58 PM »
Rising prices, unemployment, and mindblowing corruption are important issues to the Egyptians.

"...tradition and custom becomes intertwined and are a strong coercion which directs the society upon fixed lines, and strangles liberty. " ~ William Graham Sumner

Headless Thompson Gunner

• friend
« Reply #6 on: January 28, 2011, 01:47:24 PM »
Rising prices, unemployment, and mindblowing corruption are important issues to the Egyptians.
Yeah, but why now?  Poverty and corruption aren't exactly new in the middle east.

SADShooter

• friend
« Reply #7 on: January 28, 2011, 01:55:00 PM »
HTG:

I didn't say, or mean to imply, that we are involved in Egypt's politics, or that Egypt's current government was democratic. In looking at the situation through the prism of our national interest, per the OP, an anti-government movement, even a democratic one, isn't necessarily a good thing for us because the results may not conform to our expectations. Sorry if I was unclear.

SADShooter
"Ah, is there any wine so sweet and intoxicating as the tears of a hippie?"-Tamara, View From the Porch

longeyes

• friend
« Reply #8 on: January 28, 2011, 03:52:03 PM »
So long as the illiteracy rate in the Muslim sphere is as staggeringly high as it is I don't see much hope for progress there.
"Domari nolo."

Walt Kowalski: Ever notice how you come across somebody once in a while you shouldn't have messed with? That's me.

Molon Labe.

MicroBalrog

• friend
« Reply #9 on: January 28, 2011, 05:21:32 PM »
Apparently the Islamic brotherhood is not really as involved as it'd like to be.

longeyes

• friend
« Reply #10 on: January 28, 2011, 09:12:11 PM »
I think this is another case of deliberate "benign neglect."  I believe in his heart Obama would love to see "populist" uprisings through the Muslim world, even if they end with Islamist autocracies after the democratic froth is gone.  This is still the man with dreams from his father, and those dreams include global revolt by People of Color everywhere, regardless of what that means for the U.S. 
"Domari nolo."

Molon Labe.

De Selby

• friend
« Reply #11 on: January 29, 2011, 05:08:28 AM »
This is a direct result of he successful Tunisian revolution. That's why now.  A secular government is likely to result, and no democracy of any kind in he middle east will do anything other than prepare for war with Israel.
"Human existence being an hallucination containing in itself the secondary hallucinations of day and night (the latter an insanitary condition of the atmosphere due to accretions of black air) it ill becomes any man of sense to be concerned at the illusory approach of the supreme hallucination known as death."

roo_ster

• Kakistocracy--It's What's For Dinner.
  • friend
  • Hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats
« Reply #12 on: January 29, 2011, 10:05:44 AM »
I'm not sure. I will say that I believe the flaw in our assumptions in attempting to democrate countries is that the necessary social/political institutions and values will grow organically out of a democratic process. It's fundamental principles and that make western systems work. Without the principles the mechanics are irrelevant.

Very true.

All this, "scratch a savage foreigner and fins an American underneath" self-delusion has to stop.

This is a direct result of he successful Tunisian revolution. That's why now.  A secular government is likely to result, and no democracy of any kind in he middle east will do anything other than prepare for war with Israel.

Case in point: Turkey.

"If you want to join the EU you must democratize!"  The result of such is a more thuggish & benighted Islamist regime.
Regards,

roo_ster

“Fallacies do not cease to be fallacies because they become fashions.”
----G.K. Chesterton

longeyes

• friend
« Reply #13 on: January 29, 2011, 10:48:36 AM »
Looks as if Mubarak is anointing his "Sejanus:" the head of their "CIA."  I think we've seen this movie before...
"Domari nolo."

Molon Labe.

cassandra and sara's daddy

• friends
« Reply #14 on: January 29, 2011, 12:51:13 PM »
All this, "scratch a savage foreigner and fins an American underneath" self-delusion has to stop.

much truth!!!  we need rooster to be in foreign service!

Quote from: De Selby on Today at 06:08:28

Case in point: Turkey.

"If you want to join the EU you must democratize!"  The result of such is a more thuggish & benighted Islamist regime.

end times are nigh!  rooster agrees with "de selby    and i with the both of them
It is much more powerful to seek Truth for one's self.  Seeing and hearing that others seem to have found it can be a motivation.  With me, I was drawn because of much error and bad judgment on my part. Confronting one's own errors and bad judgment is a very life altering situation.  Confronting the errors and bad judgment of others is usually hypocrisy.

by someone older and wiser than I

MicroBalrog

• friend
« Reply #15 on: January 29, 2011, 03:19:37 PM »

It would be madness for Egypt to make war on Israel. I can see them trying if religious nutcases took over, but no sane secular government would.

I think what's of more concern is Egypt ending its cooperation in Israel in certain fields.

Me?

If I lived in Europe or Australia, I'd be perfectly fine with seeing a secular democracy rise in Egypt. Even an imperfect democracy, like the one enjoyed by the Indonesians, would be better than what they have now. Living where I live, I can afford at best to be cautiously optimistic.

De Selby

• friend
« Reply #16 on: January 29, 2011, 06:43:25 PM »
Micro, it would be madness-today.  You can bet that a democracy in Egypt, which will likely be secular, is going to work on its military capability against Israel.  

Anymore in the wave of democracy, and israel is going to be gone inside of 50 years.  There's no way it can survive without the cooperation it gets from the existing regimes.
"Human existence being an hallucination containing in itself the secondary hallucinations of day and night (the latter an insanitary condition of the atmosphere due to accretions of black air) it ill becomes any man of sense to be concerned at the illusory approach of the supreme hallucination known as death."

Headless Thompson Gunner

• friend
« Reply #17 on: January 29, 2011, 06:56:13 PM »
This is a direct result of he successful Tunisian revolution. That's why now. 
That does nothing to answer the question of "why now".  Poverty, corruption, and dictatorship are nothing new in Tunisia, either.  So what suddenly prompted the Tunisians to take to the streets?

De Selby

• friend
« Reply #18 on: January 29, 2011, 07:04:35 PM »
That does nothing to answer the question of "why now".  Poverty, corruption, and dictatorship are nothing new in Tunisia, either.  So what suddenly prompted the Tunisians to take to the streets?

I'm actually surprised that you haven't heard the story of the young street vendor who burned himself there-a self immolation motivated people to hit the streets.  The name Mohammed Bouazizi is quite famous all across the Arab speaking world now.

Headless Thompson Gunner

• friend
« Reply #19 on: January 29, 2011, 07:19:22 PM »
I don't recall any mention of an immolation in the American press.

As I said before, our local press has been pretty bad about reporting on these riots.  When they report on it at all, their only interest seems to be trying to one up each other with the most dramatic pics and vids of rioters in action.

Charlie Sheen's most recent drug escapade got more and better press coverage yesterday than the revolution in Egypt.

Waitone

• friend
« Reply #20 on: January 29, 2011, 07:43:19 PM »
As I said before, our local press has been pretty bad about reporting on these riots.  When they report on it at all, their only interest seems to be trying to one up each other with the most dramatic pics and vids of rioters in action.
And that is why our media (mostly main stream media but also fringe elements of alternative media) is increasingly irrelevant. 
"Men, it has been well said, think in herds. It will be seen that they go mad in herds, while they only recover their senses slowly, and one by one."
- Charles Mackay, Scottish journalist, circa 1841

"Our society is run by insane people for insane objectives. I think we're being run by maniacs for maniacal ends and I think I'm liable to be put away as insane for expressing that. That's what's insane about it." - John Lennon

MicroBalrog

• friend
« Reply #21 on: January 29, 2011, 08:45:57 PM »
Micro, it would be madness-today.  You can bet that a democracy in Egypt, which will likely be secular, is going to work on its military capability against Israel.  

Anymore in the wave of democracy, and israel is going to be gone inside of 50 years.  There's no way it can survive without the cooperation it gets from the existing regimes.

Problem:

1. Military capability is a function of overall cultural health. A society capable of producing a Western-grade military would not be a modern Arab society.

2. There's no guarantee Egypt will still be wanting to fight Israel after 50 years of democracy.

Zardozimo Oprah Bannedalas

• Webley Juggler
  • friend
  • All I got is a fistful of shekels
« Reply #22 on: January 29, 2011, 09:04:14 PM »
I'm actually surprised that you haven't heard the story of the young street vendor who burned himself there-a self immolation motivated people to hit the streets.  The name Mohammed Bouazizi is quite famous all across the Arab speaking world now.
It's a weird culture where people who set themselves on fire are considered awesome.

MicroBalrog

• friend
« Reply #23 on: January 29, 2011, 09:09:07 PM »
It's a weird culture where people who set themselves on fire are considered awesome.

Uh? Self-sacrifice is awesome throughout the world.

cassandra and sara's daddy

• friends
« Reply #24 on: January 29, 2011, 09:13:15 PM »

couple monks in vietnam fomented as much more change than operation linebacker
It is much more powerful to seek Truth for one's self.  Seeing and hearing that others seem to have found it can be a motivation.  With me, I was drawn because of much error and bad judgment on my part. Confronting one's own errors and bad judgment is a very life altering situation.  Confronting the errors and bad judgment of others is usually hypocrisy.

by someone older and wiser than I