Author Topic: Explaining the failure of stimulus  (Read 3087 times)

Jamisjockey

• Booze-fueled paragon of pointless cruelty and wanton sadism
  • friend
  • Your mom sends me care packages
Explaining the failure of stimulus
« on: January 28, 2011, 08:04:32 AM »
Houston ISD recieved cash to hire 128 teachers in 2009.  Enough cash to last......almost two years.  HISD was hoping the state would pick up the tab and make them permanant jobs.  The state has a budget shortfall and can't.
So, they will be laid off soon.
Government does not create jobs.
JD

The price of a lottery ticket seems to be the maximum most folks are willing to risk toward the dream of becoming a one-percenter. “Robert Hollis”

MechAg94

• friend
Re: Explaining the failure of stimulus
« Reply #1 on: January 28, 2011, 08:56:47 AM »
But you are not focusing on the right metrics.  The Bureaucracy at just about every level got a cut of that money as it was passed down to the local HISD to hire those teachers.  Success!
“It is much more important to kill bad bills than to pass good ones.”  ― Calvin Coolidge

Chuck Dye

• friend
« Reply #2 on: January 28, 2011, 10:55:54 AM »
100,000 new cops, anyone?
Gee, I'd love to see your data!

AZRedhawk44

• friends
« Reply #3 on: January 28, 2011, 11:01:28 AM »
Houston ISD recieved cash stolen from taxpayers across the entire State of Texas to hire 128 teachers in 2009.  Enough cash to last......almost two years.  HISD was hoping the state would pick up the tab continue to use threat of force to tax the entire State and subsidize one metro area that doesn't want to pay for its own expenditures and make them permanant jobs.  The state has a budget shortfall and can't.
So, they will be laid off soon.  The situation has been remedied, though the original theft for the pay for those teachers for 2 years has not been addressed.
Government does not create jobs.

Translated and fixed.
"But whether the Constitution really be one thing, or another, this much is certain - that it has either authorized such a government as we have had, or has been powerless to prevent it. In either case, it is unfit to exist."
--Lysander Spooner

I reject your authoritah!

Tallpine

• friends
  • Grumpy Old Grandpa
« Reply #4 on: January 29, 2011, 05:10:55 PM »
Yeah but look at all the wonderful highway improvements  ;/

I-80 westbound west of Chicago is terrible.  There is barely enough pavement to hold the potholes together.  =(
Freedom is a heavy load, a great and strange burden for the spirit to undertake. It is not easy. It is not a gift given, but a choice made, and the choice may be a hard one. The road goes upward toward the light; but the laden traveller may never reach the end of it.  - Ursula Le Guin

lee n. field

• friend
  • tinpot megalomaniac, Paulbot, hardware goon
« Reply #5 on: January 29, 2011, 06:47:54 PM »
There is barely enough pavement to hold the potholes together.  sad

That's Illinois roads in general.
In thy presence is fulness of joy.
At thy right hand pleasures for evermore.

Headless Thompson Gunner

• friend
« Reply #6 on: January 29, 2011, 07:02:13 PM »
There are stretches of highway in Kentucky that got repaved for no reason at all except that they suddenly had the money to do it.  Perfectly good road bed was torn up and replaced with perfectly good new roadbed.

Gowen

• Metal smith
  • friend
    • Gemoriah.com
« Reply #7 on: January 29, 2011, 11:47:59 PM »
Yeah but look at all the wonderful highway improvements  ;/

I-80 westbound west of Chicago is terrible.  There is barely enough pavement to hold the potholes together.  =(

That's Illinois roads in general.

That's perfectly good re-election, payoff and bribery money.  Who'd a thought of actually using the money to fix the roads.
"That's my hat, I'm the leader!" Napoleon the Bloodhound

Gemoriah.com

brimic

• friends
« Reply #8 on: January 30, 2011, 12:23:08 AM »
That's perfectly good re-election, payoff and bribery money.  Who'd a thought of actually using the money to fix the roads.

From my understanding, the money taken in from toll roads in IL is barely enough to pay the $40/hr wages for the slugs in the toll booths let alone pay for any road maintenance anymore.
"now you see that evil will always triumph, because good is dumb" -Dark Helmet

"AK47's belong in the hands of soldiers mexican drug cartels"-
Barack Obama

Tallpine

• friends
  • Grumpy Old Grandpa
« Reply #9 on: January 30, 2011, 02:16:52 PM »
From my understanding, the money taken in from toll roads in IL is barely enough to pay the $40/hr wages for the slugs in the toll booths let alone pay for any road maintenance anymore.

That was my observation going through there for the first and last* time, though I suppose most commuters have the auto-pay thingie and just drive through without stopping.

Next time: UP  ;)
Freedom is a heavy load, a great and strange burden for the spirit to undertake. It is not easy. It is not a gift given, but a choice made, and the choice may be a hard one. The road goes upward toward the light; but the laden traveller may never reach the end of it.  - Ursula Le Guin

HankB

• friend
« Reply #10 on: January 31, 2011, 11:52:52 AM »
There are stretches of highway in Kentucky that got repaved for no reason at all except that they suddenly had the money to do it.
Incorrect.

The money spent doesn't literally get flushed down the sewer, it ends up in someone's pocket. No doubt there are plenty of union heavy equipment operators, asphalt suppliers, surveyors, etc., who got a nice piece of that money.

There's also no doubt that some was shared with politicians in the form of stock dividends (thanks to part ownership of asphalt suppliers by extended family), campaign contributions from the heavy equipment operator's union, and so forth and so on.

So you see, there were probably a lot of very good reasons to do so.
Trump won in 2016. Democrats haven't been so offended since Republicans came along and freed their slaves.
Sometimes I wonder if the world is being run by smart people who are putting us on, or by imbeciles who really mean it. - Mark Twain
Government is a broker in pillage, and every election is a sort of advance auction in stolen goods. - H.L. Mencken
Patriotism is supporting your country all the time, and your government when it deserves it. - Mark Twain

Bogie

• friend
  • Hunkered in South St. Louis, right by Route 66
    • Third Rate Pundit
« Reply #11 on: February 01, 2011, 02:59:23 AM »
You know, if instead of doing all the $400k/job "stimulus," they had done a lot of small business grants, I'm guessing that enough of them would have worked that we'd be seeing some nicely positive growth...
Blog under construction