Author Topic: Rep. Hal Wick of SD. You haz style.  (Read 2365 times)

Battle Monkey of Zardoz

• friends
  • A more Elegant Monkey for a more civilized Forum.
Rep. Hal Wick of SD. You haz style.
« on: February 01, 2011, 10:20:21 AM »
I love it. I hope other states do this.

Bill would require all S.D. citizens to buy a gun

http://www.argusleader.com/article/20110131/UPDATES/110131031/Bill-would-require-all-S-D-citizens-buy-gun
“We the people are the rightful masters of both Congress and the courts, not to overthrow the Constitution but to overthrow the men who pervert the Constitution.”

Abraham Lincoln

With the first link the chain is forged. The first speech censored, the first thought forbidden, the first freedom denied, chains us all irrevocably.

Jamisjockey

• Booze-fueled paragon of pointless cruelty and wanton sadism
  • friend
  • Your mom sends me care packages
Re: Rep. Hal Wick of SD. You haz style.
« Reply #1 on: February 01, 2011, 10:24:25 AM »
Statisim by any other name is still statisim.
JD

The price of a lottery ticket seems to be the maximum most folks are willing to risk toward the dream of becoming a one-percenter. “Robert Hollis”

Battle Monkey of Zardoz

• friends
« Reply #2 on: February 01, 2011, 10:26:43 AM »
It is but I like his style. Knowing it's wrong and knowing it won't pass, and yet doing it anyway to prove a point. At least it will be entertaining.

“Do I or the other cosponsors believe that the State of South Dakota can require citizens to buy firearms? Of course not. But at the same time, we do not believe the federal government can order every citizen to buy health insurance,” he said.

They are going nuts over at DU. Citing the "general welfare" to support Obama care. What a bunch of worthless folks.
« Last Edit: February 01, 2011, 10:30:28 AM by Battle Monkey of Zardoz »
“We the people are the rightful masters of both Congress and the courts, not to overthrow the Constitution but to overthrow the men who pervert the Constitution.”

Abraham Lincoln

With the first link the chain is forged. The first speech censored, the first thought forbidden, the first freedom denied, chains us all irrevocably.

cassandra and sara's daddy

• friends
« Reply #3 on: February 01, 2011, 12:00:56 PM »
Knowing it's wrong and knowing it won't pass, and yet doing it anyway to prove a point.

yes but the point hes proving is not the one thats got you all tingly
It is much more powerful to seek Truth for one's self.  Seeing and hearing that others seem to have found it can be a motivation.  With me, I was drawn because of much error and bad judgment on my part. Confronting one's own errors and bad judgment is a very life altering situation.  Confronting the errors and bad judgment of others is usually hypocrisy.

by someone older and wiser than I

Battle Monkey of Zardoz

• friends
« Reply #4 on: February 01, 2011, 12:07:48 PM »
And why are you interested if I'm all tingly?  If it ads to the argument, so be it. I'm for that. If it would happen to actually become law, that's a plus as well. Anything that anyone can do to bring down ObamaCare is alright by me.

Nothing, not even gun ownership should be mandated by the government. That's the message Wick is sending.

Abraham Lincoln

230RN

• saw it coming.
  • friend
  • ...shall not be allowed.
« Reply #5 on: February 01, 2011, 12:15:43 PM »
Well, there are a couple of cities that have done that, but there are no penalties for not complying.  Or something.  Greensboro NC comes to mind, but I'm not sure that's correct.  And I think there's a town in Colorado that did it, too.

Personally, I think the dot-gov ought to issue all those surplus firearms to anybody who wants one.  No background check, no nuthin'.  After all, we (you and I) bought them, didn't we?

But, then again, I'm pre-GCA 68 and remember when all you had to do was present ID to  prove you were a resident of the state.

And nobody worried about things like home invasions or carjacking, either.

Say, anyone know what's the latest on those M1 carbines that Korea was going to sell/give/return to the US?

« Last Edit: February 01, 2011, 12:22:29 PM by 230RN »
WHATEVER YOUR DEFINITION OF "INFRINGE " IS, YOU SHOULDN'T BE DOING IT.

Battle Monkey of Zardoz

• friends
« Reply #6 on: February 01, 2011, 12:17:13 PM »
Well, there are a couple of cities that have done that, but there are no penalties for not complying.  Or something.  Greensboro NC comes to mind, but I'm not sure that's correct.  And I think there's a town in Colorado that did it, too.

And a town in Georgia.

Abraham Lincoln

MillCreek

• Skippy The Wonder Dog
  • friend
  • APS Risk Manager
« Reply #7 on: February 01, 2011, 06:47:43 PM »
And a town in Georgia.

That would be Kennesaw, Georgia.

Quote from: Angel Eyes on August 09, 2018, 01:56:15 AM
You are one lousy risk manager.

freakazoid

• friend
« Reply #8 on: February 01, 2011, 07:02:59 PM »
Reading the comments makes my head hurt.  [barf] Is this country really made up of that many stupid people?  :facepalm: There are a few gems of intelligence in an otherwise cesspool of idiocy.
"so I ended up getting the above because I didn't want to make a whole production of sticking something between my knees and cranking. To me, the cranking on mine is pretty effortless, at least on the coarse setting. Maybe if someone has arthritis or something, it would be more difficult for them." - Ben

"I see a rager at least once a week." - brimic

Desertdog

• friends
« Reply #9 on: February 02, 2011, 05:01:29 PM »
I am glad somebody is finally trying to mandate that the citizens must arm themselves.  Personally I think they should arm them selves with an AK-47, paid for by the Government, just like the Health Care.

Nick1911

• Administrator
« Reply #10 on: February 02, 2011, 05:07:09 PM »
Funny, but two wrongs don't make a right.

Desertdog

• friends
« Reply #11 on: February 02, 2011, 05:11:47 PM »
Funny, but two wrongs don't make a right.
True, but at the same time, this illustrates the wrongness of Obama Care.

Nick1911

• Administrator
« Reply #12 on: February 02, 2011, 05:25:44 PM »

You and I are in agreement.

I'm just noting that, as a law by it's self, even though I'm strongly pro-2A; I don't support it's passage.

freakazoid

• friend
« Reply #13 on: February 02, 2011, 06:04:22 PM »
I'd imagine that the people who came up with it also don't actually support the bill.
"so I ended up getting the above because I didn't want to make a whole production of sticking something between my knees and cranking. To me, the cranking on mine is pretty effortless, at least on the coarse setting. Maybe if someone has arthritis or something, it would be more difficult for them." - Ben

"I see a rager at least once a week." - brimic

Headless Thompson Gunner

• friend
« Reply #14 on: February 02, 2011, 08:05:13 PM »
This is the gist of it.  Illustrating the wrong by comparing it to an equivalent wrong that most people would grok.

If the Rep's intent was truly to force people to buy guns against their will, then I'd have to consider it wrong.  But I highly doubt that's the case.  I think he's just trying to make a point, so thumbs up to him.

stevelyn

• friend
« Reply #15 on: February 02, 2011, 09:51:24 PM »
Mandating gun ownership is just as bad as banning or putting on onerous restrictions. It should be about individual choice.
Be careful that the toes you step on now aren't connected to the ass you have to kiss later.

Eat Moose. Wear Wolf.

AmbulanceDriver

• Junior Rocketeer
  • friends
« Reply #16 on: February 02, 2011, 11:11:00 PM »
Reading the article, I think it's pretty obvious that Rep Wick isn't really intending that this law passes:

Rep. Hal Wick, R-Sioux Falls, is sponsoring the bill and knows it will be killed. But he said he is introducing it to prove a point that the federal health care reform mandate passed last year is unconstitutional.

“Do I or the other cosponsors believe that the State of South Dakota can require citizens to buy firearms? Of course not. But at the same time, we do not believe the federal government can order every citizen to buy health insurance,” he said.

Rather, as others have also pointed out, it's intended to make the point that ObamaCare is unconstitutional, plain and simple.  And it's a great example to use with those who think ObamaCare is ok.
Are you a cook, or a RIFLEMAN?  Find out at Appleseed!

http://www.appleseedinfo.org

"For some many people, attempting to process a logical line of thought brings up the blue screen of death." -Blakenzy