Author Topic: Montana moves to repeal medical marijuana laws  (Read 50756 times)

PTK

• friends
Montana moves to repeal medical marijuana laws
« on: February 12, 2011, 01:32:04 AM »
http://data.opi.mt.gov/bills/2011/billhtml/HB0161.htm

What the hell is happening in my state?  =|

For what it's worth, marijuana is safer than my painkillers, cheaper, less harmful to my body, less side effects, and instead of causing insomnia, allows me to sleep.

If this bill passes, I will instantly become a criminal, with no (legal) recourse except to turn myself in and face a $500 fine and six months in jail.

Again, I ask, what has happened to my state?  =(
« Last Edit: February 12, 2011, 01:36:44 AM by PTK »
"Only lucky people grow old." - Frederick L.
September 1915 - August 2008

"If you really do have cancer "this time", then this is your own fault. Like the little boy who cried wolf."

erictank

• friends
Re: Montana moves to repeal medical marijuana laws
« Reply #1 on: February 12, 2011, 05:52:13 AM »
I wonder what use the authorities will make of official records of those using medical marijuana..  :mad:

If you needed a state-issued license to purchase or use, I'd say that if this passes, you'll be getting one or more visits from men in blue (tan?) uniforms with shiny badges.

41magsnub

• friend
  • Don't make me assume my ultimate form!
« Reply #2 on: February 12, 2011, 10:34:35 AM »
The providers are bringing this on themselves to a large extent.  Read up on Jason Christ as an example.  He seems to be the face of medical marijuana around here:  http://missoulian.com/news/local/article_61e21434-d99f-11df-8cbc-001cc4c03286.html

and

http://www.opposingviews.com/i/activist-jason-christ-busted-hurts-medical-marijuana-cause

Folks like him are ruining it for the folks that can benefit from medical pot.  Him, and what seems like the majority of the people after green cards who don't have an injury or illness.  PTK, I totally know this does not apply to you.

Example;  when my Dad went to get his green card for back pain they were going to do the Dr. conference call method of getting approval.  Basically they said (and I'm quoting here), "Dude, your back hurts.  We'll get you hooked up!," and then the guy winked at him.  He declined and went to another clinic where they did a proper evaluation.
« Last Edit: February 12, 2011, 11:53:07 AM by 41magsnub »

TommyGunn

• friend
  • Stuck in full auto since birth.
« Reply #3 on: February 12, 2011, 11:56:44 AM »
I know in California "medical marijuana" has turned into a joke.  People go to a "doctor" and claim they have a headache and need it and the sawbones writes out a scrip and --ta!da!, he gets his pot .... even though he never had a headache.
I wonder if it's the same in Montana.  Not saying it is, but, just that I wonder .....
I also wonder why doctors don't/won't do a better job with paincontrol.
I was around enough marijuana smoke when I was in college to choke a maggot.  I can't imagine being ill and wanting to be inebriated on the stuff; I think it would probably just finish me off.
But then, I am not in that position, so I don't know.
Good luck, PTK.
MOLON LABE   "Through ignorance of what is good and what is bad, the life of men is greatly perplexed." ~~ Cicero

PTK

• friends
« Reply #4 on: February 12, 2011, 12:21:15 PM »
See, those are the people I have problems with. If you haven't a legitimate need, why the hell are the doctors recommending it and ruining the entire system for the rest of us? This is for MEDICAL PURPOSES, not to get high. :(

"If you really do have cancer "this time", then this is your own fault. Like the little boy who cried wolf."

Sindawe

• friend
  • Vashneesht
« Reply #5 on: February 12, 2011, 01:34:34 PM »

One example of why:

http://www.azfamily.com/news/consumer/Valley-pain-management-clinics-raided-shut-down-by-the-DEA-94546199.html

In my book, the DEA ranks even lower than BATFE.

If you haven't a legitimate need, why the hell are the doctors recommending it and ruining the entire system for the rest of us? This is for MEDICAL PURPOSES, not to get high.

No argument there; and I do take issue with those who have a "bad back" and suffer some aches and pains and need some Ganja.  I deal with Fibromyalgia every day, and so could get a script if I wanted too. In my view such would make mockery of those who actually need the plant.  A measure of pain is a facet of reality and life and to paraphrase "...suffering leads to anger; anger leads to hate...hate gives you focus, makes you stronger".  >:D

I must balance that with my view that it is none of my buisiness or anybody elses what manner of chemical joy another partakes, so long as they keep its effects out of the lives of others.

If such passes PTK, you could move (back?) to Colorful Colorado. Medical Marijuana is firmly pretty firmly entrenched here and we may be the next State to join Vermont, Alaska and Arizona on firearm carry laws.  =D
I am free, no matter what rules surround me. If I find them tolerable, I tolerate them; if I find them too obnoxious, I break them. I am free because I know that I alone am morally responsible for everything I do.

41magsnub

• friend
  • Don't make me assume my ultimate form!
« Reply #6 on: February 12, 2011, 01:42:11 PM »
I wish the MT implementation had been done differently and more "legitimate" organizations would have been involved keeping it professional.  If it had been established doctor's offices, clinics, and etc following a reasonable procedure it would have worked out a lot better.  It should have been kept low key instead we get these idiots like Jason Christ making a mockery of things and smoking a bong on the capital steps.  It is sickening how much damage he has done.

Tallpine

• friends
  • Grumpy Old Grandpa
« Reply #7 on: February 12, 2011, 02:10:55 PM »
I don't care to have anything to do with the stuff, but I would just as soon they would legalize it for personal use regardless of any medical condition.
Freedom is a heavy load, a great and strange burden for the spirit to undertake. It is not easy. It is not a gift given, but a choice made, and the choice may be a hard one. The road goes upward toward the light; but the laden traveller may never reach the end of it.  - Ursula Le Guin

PTK

• friends
« Reply #8 on: February 12, 2011, 02:56:42 PM »
I can't afford to live in CO again. Too expensive.

As for people making mockery of MM laws, too true. :(

And the DEA? They closed down one of my doctors, previously. I had an agonizing few months, the stress and pain of which caused another heart attack. I hate the DEA.

I don't care to have anything to do with the stuff, but I would just as soon they would legalize it for personal use regardless of any medical condition.

Agreed wholeheartedly, my friend. Folks like you are those I believe deserve to live in this state - those who have feelings and opinions, and then still use logic to form the argument for or against. The statists, etc.? No.  =|

PTK

• friends
« Reply #9 on: February 12, 2011, 08:34:16 PM »
And the man to blame for all this?

http://www.opposingviews.com/i/activist-jason-christ-busted-hurts-medical-marijuana-cause

I may or may not have left a comment there. I'm annoyed.

cassandra and sara's daddy

• friends
« Reply #10 on: February 12, 2011, 10:17:30 PM »
oh blame the docs and all the clowns who signed up fraudulently too.  as well as all the folks who knew about it and wink wink nudge nudge kept quiet
It is much more powerful to seek Truth for one's self.  Seeing and hearing that others seem to have found it can be a motivation.  With me, I was drawn because of much error and bad judgment on my part. Confronting one's own errors and bad judgment is a very life altering situation.  Confronting the errors and bad judgment of others is usually hypocrisy.

by someone older and wiser than I

PTK

• friends
« Reply #11 on: February 12, 2011, 10:59:49 PM »
No kidding. And Mr. Jason Christ is the poster child for that sort of thing. What a clown, indeed.

zahc

• friend
« Reply #12 on: February 12, 2011, 11:54:30 PM »
Weed is illegal in Montana? It sure didn't seem like it when I was there...
Maybe a rare occurence, but then you only have to get murdered once to ruin your whole day.
--Tallpine

erictank

• friends
« Reply #13 on: February 13, 2011, 08:10:48 AM »
I know in California "medical marijuana" has turned into a joke.  People go to a "doctor" and claim they have a headache and need it and the sawbones writes out a scrip and --ta!da!, he gets his pot .... even though he never had a headache.
I wonder if it's the same in Montana.  Not saying it is, but, just that I wonder .....
I was around enough marijuana smoke when I was in college to choke a maggot.  I can't imagine being ill and wanting to be inebriated on the stuff; I think it would probably just finish me off.
But then, I am not in that position, so I don't know.
Good luck, PTK.

My family and I took a vacation to Los Angeles last summer (the kids had never been, and chose that when asked).  During our afternoon at Venice Beach, on our trip down the boardwalk, I literally lost count of the number of places and people we passed hawking "medical marijuana", most of which/whom had doctors available to write prescriptions on the spot.  One place stands out in my memory, though - the guy standing out front looked right at us and said, "Family rates available!" ;/

Look, I really and truly BELIEVE that you have the right to ingest/inhale/inject pretty much whatever - it's none of my business, though I also advocate uncompromising, even merciless, justice should you commit any crimes under the influence or in order to get your fix.  But I have to agree that, given the current legal environment (thank you, War On Some Drugs...  ;/), places like most of those we passed that day do the medical-marijuana cause no favors, and that's a crying shame, because there *ARE* plenty of people for whom MM is a real benefit and in at least some cases who have no other real treatment options that work.
« Last Edit: February 15, 2011, 01:15:35 AM by erictank »

PTK

• friends
« Reply #14 on: February 15, 2011, 10:49:11 AM »

=D

• friends
« Reply #15 on: February 15, 2011, 01:17:16 PM »
ironically whats driving the repeal is the thuggish behavior associated with the pot users and their camp followeres
It is much more powerful to seek Truth for one's self.  Seeing and hearing that others seem to have found it can be a motivation.  With me, I was drawn because of much error and bad judgment on my part. Confronting one's own errors and bad judgment is a very life altering situation.  Confronting the errors and bad judgment of others is usually hypocrisy.

PTK

• friends
« Reply #16 on: February 15, 2011, 01:26:47 PM »
How do you figure? "Nudge nudge wink wink" behavior while being completely immoral and, in my opinion outright wrong, isn't associated with being a thug.

Also, happily, it seems that the complete repeal has lost steam, and a proper system of doctors needing to see medical records, etc. is being forwarded.

Personally, I wouldn't go to a doctor that would recommend MM without seeing records of long-term issues that may be helped by a recommendation for MM. The doctor I go to, for example, turns away most of the people that come to see him - he's had a few that have come in for an appointment and were under the impression that his appointments were $200 because all they had to do was show up and request pot.  ;/

Needless to say, he has a very polarized swath of reviews. The legitimate users, like myself, love him because he turns away the drug seeking college kids looking to get pot legally and sell it for a few bucks, who hate him because they think he's "too judgmental". Well, duh - if you don't have a legitimate medical condition that could well be helped by MM, you're not supposed to get a recommendation for it!

One case he had right before me was a kid, 19, wanting MM because, and this is the quote that made me laugh... "I have ultra headaches in the morning after partying all night." :lol:

Mind you, he doesn't just use age. He turned away a 40-something-year-old because she hadn't had even simple bloodwork or a physical checkup in 15 years, but had the same pain/nausea as she'd been dealing with that whole time. Turned out to be myocarditis, and she died less than two weeks later.  :O

Another one was a guy in his 60s, chest pain, etc. Triglycerides were ~1100mg/dL! :O
« Last Edit: February 15, 2011, 01:39:00 PM by PTK »

• friends

PTK

• friends
« Reply #18 on: February 15, 2011, 02:50:35 PM »
I never said ALL marijuana smokers were peaceful.  ;/

Also, equating a few bad apples as the prime example... hm, that can't apply to guns or any other freedoms, right, of course not.  ;)

I remember now why I left this forum. Some of you really enjoy putting words in others' mouths.

As for Jason Christ, I fully agree - he needs to be in jail. He's an outright criminal in many regards.

• friends
« Reply #19 on: February 15, 2011, 02:58:54 PM »
guys like him can only exist with the tacit approval of the others.   its called crapping where  you eat

Tuco

• Fastest non-sequitur in the West.
  • friends
  • If you miss you had better miss very well
« Reply #20 on: February 15, 2011, 04:39:51 PM »
in my opinion...

The so-called "Medical Marijuana Movement" has been less about medicine and more about incrimental legalization.  It's making a mockery of pharmacology and medicine.

The potheads got their legalization and their resulting circus will get it shut down.
7-11 was a part time job.

• friends
« Reply #21 on: February 15, 2011, 04:45:21 PM »
this!^^^^^^ 

the "movements" worst enemy is the "movement"   its a real problem for all groups  its incumbent on them to self police. failure causes real blowback.  the minutemen and others have the same trouble  its a shame that the bad actions of the few taint the good works of many

erictank

• friends
« Reply #22 on: February 15, 2011, 05:27:07 PM »
It is (to the best of my knowledge) FACT that marijuana has bonafide beneficial effects on a variety of medical conditions, and relatively low occurence of objectionable side-effects, making it a valid and useful treatment in such cases as pain management, nausea control for chemo or radiotherapy cancer treatments, glaucoma, and perhaps others I'm not aware of off the top of my head.

A cancer patient taking MM for nausea isn't CAPABLE of "self-policing" the group of MM users to stop college kids from getting it from shady doctors - he's got enough going on just managing what's left of his own life.  Why don't *YOU* go stop those inner-city gangbangers from committing armed robbery, assault, rape, and murder all the time, C&SD? ;/

Why is it that so many here get all up in arms about not being tarred with the brush of other peoples' gun-related crimes, but when talking about DRUG-related crimes, all of a sudden, it's somehow okay to tar a whole group with the misdeeds of a minority of individuals?

in my opinion...

The so-called "Medical Marijuana Movement" has been less about medicine and more about incrimental legalization.  It's making a mockery of pharmacology and medicine.

The potheads got their legalization and their resulting circus will get it shut down.

Cause, you know, it'd just be TERRIBLE if we let other people do things we don't approve of, instead of only holding them accountable for any actual violations of others' rights they might commit... ;/

Re: pharmacology - please note above some examples of areas I listed where MM has noted (and to the best of my knowledge, indisputable) beneficial pharmacological effects.  You are, of course, invited to expand my knowledge if it is lacking, but AFAIK, the MM movement is RELYING on proven medical benefits in making their case.  So, where exactly are they making a "mockery of pharmacology and medicine"?

Tallpine

• friends
  • Grumpy Old Grandpa
« Reply #23 on: February 15, 2011, 06:02:02 PM »
The so-called "Medical Marijuana Movement" has been less about medicine and more about incrimental [sic] legalization.

So ...  ???

I prefer medicinal Scotch  ;)
Freedom is a heavy load, a great and strange burden for the spirit to undertake. It is not easy. It is not a gift given, but a choice made, and the choice may be a hard one. The road goes upward toward the light; but the laden traveller may never reach the end of it.  - Ursula Le Guin

• friends
« Reply #24 on: February 15, 2011, 06:39:47 PM »
A cancer patient taking MM for nausea isn't CAPABLE of "self-policing" the group of MM users to stop college kids from getting it from shady doctors - he's got enough going on just managing what's left of his own life

the people running the biz aren't cancer patients.  they are hustlers who found a niche.  their excesses are killing their goose that lays the golden eggs.  they demonstrably care a fig about the cancer patient.  other than as a prop to advance their agenda, which is "$$$"