Author Topic: New tech sounds like sci-fi...  (Read 4564 times)

Balog

• Unrepentant race traitor
  • friends
  • What if we tried more?
New tech sounds like sci-fi...
« on: February 12, 2011, 07:56:35 PM »
http://www.economist.com/node/18114327?story_id=18114327&fsrc=scn/tw/te/rss/pe

Additive manufacturing builds three dimensional objects one layer a a time. Didn't Neal Stephenson already do this?
Quote from: French G.
I was always pleasant, friendly and within arm's reach of a gun.

Quote from: Standing Wolf
If government is the answer, it must have been a really, really, really stupid question.

PTK

• friends
Re: New tech sounds like sci-fi...
« Reply #1 on: February 12, 2011, 08:31:33 PM »
Old news. First 3D printer I saw was in 04. ;)
"Only lucky people grow old." - Frederick L.
September 1915 - August 2008

"If you really do have cancer "this time", then this is your own fault. Like the little boy who cried wolf."

AJ Dual

• friends
  • Shoe Ballistics Inc.
« Reply #2 on: February 12, 2011, 09:07:02 PM »
Ones that can make mechanically durable parts, and not just low strength resins, plastics, or powders will be the next breakthrough.

I know there are 3D printers that can do sintered metal with metal powder coated in some kind of clay, or glue matrix that's melted by the laser, they're then baked in a kiln, and the lower melting point matrix burns/melts away, although there's a set percentage of shrinkage you have to expect. Not good for precision parts, and the wear characteristics are probably way worse than even MIM. But what it can do is make some pieces that would be impossible to machine or produce any other way.

http://www.bathsheba.com/sculpt/process/index.html#3dprint
I promise not to duck.

lee n. field

• friend
  • tinpot megalomaniac, Paulbot, hardware goon
« Reply #3 on: February 12, 2011, 10:06:35 PM »
And of course we're a ways away from growing one's own Glock parts.
« Last Edit: February 14, 2011, 12:32:18 PM by lee n. field »
In thy presence is fulness of joy.
At thy right hand pleasures for evermore.

Balog

• Unrepentant race traitor
  • friends
  • What if we tried more?
« Reply #4 on: February 13, 2011, 12:29:09 AM »
Old news. First 3D printer I saw was in 04. ;)

Yeah, but (according to the article anyway) it may be maturing to the point where it's not just a prototype sorta thing, but useful for production. :)
Quote from: French G.
I was always pleasant, friendly and within arm's reach of a gun.

Quote from: Standing Wolf
If government is the answer, it must have been a really, really, really stupid question.

Hutch

• friend
« Reply #5 on: February 13, 2011, 09:28:33 AM »
I've seen this on TV.  "Tea, Earl Grey, hot".  What's the big problem?
"My limited experience does not permit me to appreciate the unquestionable wisdom of your decision"

Seems like every day, I'm forced to add to the list of people who can just kiss my hairy ass.

Devonai

• friend
  • Panic Mode Activated
    • Kyrie Devonai Publishing
« Reply #6 on: February 13, 2011, 09:57:29 AM »
I've seen this on TV.  "Tea, Earl Grey, hot".  What's the big problem?

Ha!  But right now the best you can get is a substance that's almost, but not quite, entirely unlike tea.
My writing blog: Kyrie Devonai Publishing

When in danger, when in doubt, run in circles, scream and shout!

Brad Johnson

• friend
  • Witty, charming, handsome, and completely insane.
« Reply #7 on: February 13, 2011, 11:10:55 AM »
Ones that can make mechanically durable parts, and not just low strength resins, plastics, or powders will be the next breakthrough.

I know there are 3D printers that can do sintered metal with metal powder coated in some kind of clay, or glue matrix that's melted by the laser, they're then baked in a kiln, and the lower melting point matrix burns/melts away, although there's a set percentage of shrinkage you have to expect. Not good for precision parts, and the wear characteristics are probably way worse than even MIM. But what it can do is make some pieces that would be impossible to machine or produce any other way.

http://www.bathsheba.com/sculpt/process/index.html#3dprint

Rapid metal prototyping uses powdered stainless.  The machine goes over the powder one layer at a time, using a resin to bind the powder.  Once built, the part is placed in a sand form along with powdered bronze.  It's heated to melt the bronze, which wicks into the stainless steel and produces the final part.  The as-cast finish is pretty rough but the  part can then be sculpted, machined, polished, just like any other bronze item.

Brad
It's all about the pancakes, people.
"And he thought cops wouldn't chase... a STOLEN DONUT TRUCK???? That would be like Willie Nelson ignoring a pickup full of weed."
-HankB

kgbsquirrel

• APS Photoshop God
  • friend
  • Bill, slayer of threads.
« Reply #8 on: February 13, 2011, 11:24:25 AM »

Aren't those machines called CNC mills?  :P

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8I3diD1lpho

White Horseradish

• friend
« Reply #9 on: February 13, 2011, 11:39:02 AM »

All that's missing is one cheap enough for large numbers of people to have one sitting in the garage.
Political tags - such as royalist, communist, democrat, populist, fascist, liberal, conservative, and so forth - are never basic criteria. The human race divides politically into those who want people to be controlled and those who have no such desire.

Robert A Heinlein

RevDisk

• friend
    • RevDisk.net
« Reply #10 on: February 13, 2011, 12:03:14 PM »
All that's missing is one cheap enough for large numbers of people to have one sitting in the garage.

That's what I want.  A desktop CNC machine, that isn't mid four digits.  Folks are starting to make their own.  Plenty of DIY 2D CNC drilling machines for PCBs out there.  I need to get off my lazy rear end and make one...
"Rev, your picture is in my King James Bible, where Paul talks about "inventors of evil."  Yes, I know you'll take that as a compliment."  - Fistful, possibly highest compliment I've ever received.

CNYCacher

• friend
« Reply #11 on: February 13, 2011, 03:46:38 PM »

If any of you started to watch this and said "Oh, yeah, CNC, seen it!"  Do yourself a favor and skip ahead to 4:10, or click this link:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8I3diD1lpho&feature=player_detailpage#t=253s

Unbelievable.  I did not know such was possible.
On two occasions, I have been asked [by members of Parliament], "Pray, Mr. Babbage, if you put into the machine wrong figures, will the right answers come out?" I am not able to rightly apprehend the kind of confusion of ideas that could provoke such a question.
Charles Babbage

erictank

• friends
« Reply #12 on: February 15, 2011, 05:50:57 PM »

You can build your own CNC mill, per instructions available online (Instructables has quite a few, and I'm still looking at DIYLILCNC.org (DIY Lil' CNC - build your own for $700, using free plans) with covetous eyes.  Slowly getting my workshop plans in place, though, and I'll probably start in on the "heavy" shop machinery via Lindsay Books' 'Build Your Own Metalworking Shop From Scrap' series by Dave Gingery.  A CNC mill is well down the list for wants/needs.

3D printers are a little pricier than that, but you can get kits for smallish ones like the Makerbot (courtesy of Make Magazine) for something like $1400, that can print something in the neighborhood of a 6" cube.  Stuff that can print using sintered metal like Brad mentioned will be... more expensive.  But it's coming - just 6-7 years ago, something like the Makerbot would have been several thousand dollars, instead of in the neighborhood of $1500, and would not have been as capable.

Brad Johnson

• friend
  • Witty, charming, handsome, and completely insane.
« Reply #13 on: February 15, 2011, 05:58:21 PM »
Stuff that can print using sintered metal like Brad mentioned will be... more expensive.  But it's coming - just 6-7 years ago, something like the Makerbot would have been several thousand dollars, instead of in the neighborhood of $1500, and would not have been as capable.

On a strictly technical level it isn't sintered.  Yes, it's metal powder, but it's not heat-formed in a sintering press.  The powder is held in its desired form with an adhesive, then a binding metal (in this case bronze) is hot-wicked into the matrix.

Brad
It's all about the pancakes, people.
"And he thought cops wouldn't chase... a STOLEN DONUT TRUCK???? That would be like Willie Nelson ignoring a pickup full of weed."
-HankB

erictank

• friends
« Reply #14 on: February 15, 2011, 08:33:30 PM »
On a strictly technical level it isn't sintered.  Yes, it's metal powder, but it's not heat-formed in a sintering press.  The powder is held in its desired form with an adhesive, then a binding metal (in this case bronze) is hot-wicked into the matrix.

Brad

Ah.  Thanks.

Still gonna be more spendy than one building stuff out of plastic.  =D  Still, give it a few years...

sanglant

• friend
« Reply #15 on: February 15, 2011, 09:18:16 PM »

Nick1911

• Administrator
« Reply #16 on: February 15, 2011, 09:58:17 PM »
You can build your own CNC mill, per instructions available online (Instructables has quite a few, and I'm still looking at DIYLILCNC.org (DIY Lil' CNC - build your own for $700, using free plans) with covetous eyes.  Slowly getting my workshop plans in place, though, and I'll probably start in on the "heavy" shop machinery via Lindsay Books' 'Build Your Own Metalworking Shop From Scrap' series by Dave Gingery.  A CNC mill is well down the list for wants/needs.

3D printers are a little pricier than that, but you can get kits for smallish ones like the Makerbot (courtesy of Make Magazine) for something like $1400, that can print something in the neighborhood of a 6" cube.  Stuff that can print using sintered metal like Brad mentioned will be... more expensive.  But it's coming - just 6-7 years ago, something like the Makerbot would have been several thousand dollars, instead of in the neighborhood of $1500, and would not have been as capable.

Also note EMC.  Open source CNC machine control code.  Runs under linux.

KD5NRH

• friends
  • I'm too sexy for you people.
« Reply #17 on: February 15, 2011, 10:02:55 PM »
That's what I want.  A desktop CNC machine, that isn't mid four digits.  Folks are starting to make their own.  Plenty of DIY 2D CNC drilling machines for PCBs out there.  I need to get off my lazy rear end and make one...

Plenty of 3D ones too.  If you don't mind being limited to 1-2" of Z axis travel, they look pretty easy to build.

I'd just like a cheap 3D printer that works in a good investment casting medium; something along the lines of lost foam process, since that eliminates the delays to burn out wax, and for sand casting, the foam keeps the sand supported until the metal is right there.