Author Topic: Pirates grab another US boat and 4 people.  (Read 15600 times)

kgbsquirrel

• APS Photoshop God
  • friend
  • Bill, slayer of threads.
Re: Pirates grab another US boat and 4 people.
« Reply #25 on: February 20, 2011, 09:51:05 AM »
Anti Pirate vessel for sale in Africa

We need a helicopter though.

ETA: Like this one  God bless google.  Micro will have to translate the manuals for us.

That vessel is grossly insufficient speed wise for pursuing pirate skiffs and doesn't seem to have much capacity for carrying smaller assault craft. Plus the MI-24 needs a rolling start when fully loaded and lacks the necessary gear for landing on a rolling deck at sea (and not falling off into the ocean).

I would suggest forgoing any sort of manned aircraft and instead go with this patrol boat/interceptor and perhaps some Shadow UAV's....
http://commercial.apolloduck.com/feature.phtml?id=139593

If that's too expensive, there's always the economical option, a Hugin-class patrol boat, which while unable to do more than about 20 knots, would be able to fit a 10m assault RHIB's on the stern deck with the mine laying and missile gear removed.
http://commercial.apolloduck.com/display.phtml?aid=156458
http://commercial.apolloduck.com/feature.phtml?id=42623

For a replacement deck gun I'd recommend either a single barrel Breda Bofors 40mm L/70 or perhaps a surplus M167 VADS properly weather proofed and refitted into a deck mount. Other armament to include a couple of paired M3 .50 cal mounts or M134's and some China Lake SPIKE missiles along with necessary small arms.  

:angel:
« Last Edit: February 20, 2011, 09:59:29 AM by kgbsquirrel »

Doggy Daddy

• Poobah
  • friend
  • From the saner side of Las Vegas
« Reply #26 on: February 20, 2011, 12:50:45 PM »
I'd really like to just drop Volkswagons on them from over the horizon...  =D

DD
Would you exchange
a walk-on part in a war
for a lead role in a cage?
-P.F.

kgbsquirrel

• APS Photoshop God
  • friend
« Reply #27 on: February 20, 2011, 03:06:09 PM »
I'd really like to just drop Volkswagons on them from over the horizon...  =D

DD

Only difference is my suggestion is actually completely viable if you all really wanted to do it.  >:D

The real trick is getting those corporations that are getting peevish over paying out millions in ransoms and millions more in lost earnings due to to delays to pledge bounties per pirate killed/captured and each pirate vessel destroyed and perhaps front some of the start up cash to outfit a ship (heh, sponsorships by weapons manufacturers?) Such bounties would be rather a necessity considering the pirates have pretty much nothing of value themselves to capture, also the salvage rights for "rescued/liberated" vessels could get kinda mucky and would no doubt be contested for years in court (I doubt Exxon would want to willingly fork over 25% of the market value of one of their fully loaded supertankers, even if you did evict some pirates from it) and then there's the added danger of going close quarters with a bunch of malnourished trigger happy Somalis. Much better to engage from range.

Checked the Hugin's useful tonnage and compared it to some weapon systems. Looks like it would be able to accept the brand spanking new Mk 110 57mm naval gun which is total hotness.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LrWZ0DhXVHU
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WSkU_VNXd14

Scout26

• I'm a leaf on the wind.
  • friend
  • I spent a week in that town one night....
« Reply #28 on: February 20, 2011, 03:33:40 PM »
Yep, I did a double take when I saw the price of that Swedish boat.  Only $40K.  I'll buy another Lotto ticket today.

The 57mm gun would work as the main gun on the forward deck, then some .50's on the sides and maybe a CIWS or Phalanx mounted uptop behind the bridge.  I think with a commission for HRH of Sealand that would open the door to purchase military hardware from friendly foreign powers. 

Use the back deck to launch armed UAV's, that are DARK GREEN, and maybe get mis-inventoryed in PA.  ;)

I do think we need one small boat, but not to go "hands on" with the pirates, but to liaise with friendly forces and run into ports to get food, ammo, booze, etc.

I think that gives us a complete package that can be operated by 10-20 of us fools.  We'll definitely need Viking along to interpret the manuals, dials and gauges.

Jamis can be Captain (until BSL's Mutiny in Lingerie).
Some days even my lucky rocketship underpants won't help.

Bring me my Broadsword and a clear understanding.
Get up to the roundhouse on the cliff-top standing.
Take women and children and bed them down.
Bless with a hard heart those that stand with me.
Bless the women and children who firm our hands.
Put our backs to the north wind.
Hold fast by the river.
Sweet memories to drive us on,
for the motherland.

cassandra and sara's daddy

• friends
« Reply #29 on: February 20, 2011, 03:38:04 PM »
track pirate boat to home port   drop multiple volkswagons on said town   repeat   very shortly the towns will police the pirating  the towns that are left anyway. >:D  their method of policing things down there is pretty abrupt
It is much more powerful to seek Truth for one's self.  Seeing and hearing that others seem to have found it can be a motivation.  With me, I was drawn because of much error and bad judgment on my part. Confronting one's own errors and bad judgment is a very life altering situation.  Confronting the errors and bad judgment of others is usually hypocrisy.

by someone older and wiser than I

kgbsquirrel

• APS Photoshop God
  • friend
« Reply #30 on: February 20, 2011, 04:13:17 PM »
Yep, I did a double take when I saw the price of that Swedish boat.  Only $40K.  I'll buy another Lotto ticket today.

The 57mm gun would work as the main gun on the forward deck, then some .50's on the sides and maybe a CIWS or Phalanx mounted uptop behind the bridge.  I think with a commission for HRH of Sealand that would open the door to purchase military hardware from friendly foreign powers.  

Use the back deck to launch armed UAV's, that are DARK GREEN, and maybe get mis-inventoryed in PA.  ;)

I do think we need one small boat, but not to go "hands on" with the pirates, but to liaise with friendly forces and run into ports to get food, ammo, booze, etc.

I think that gives us a complete package that can be operated by 10-20 of us fools.  We'll definitely need Viking along to interpret the manuals, dials and gauges.

Jamis can be Captain (until BSL's Mutiny in Lingerie).

The ship itself is only 40k but that hull is at least 3 decades old. It will need a serious refit, overhaul on the engines (perhaps an upgrade to improve top speed and such,) and many miscellaneous items restored to it which will require time and serious additional funding. One piece of gear not normally included that I would greatly recommend would be a seriously high quality, gyro stabilized telephoto camera with both starlight and thermal capacity mounted high on the mast, and I mean telephoto as in being able to read a guy's name-tag all the way at the horizon. When the US Navy comes knocking to find out why you just ripped a small wooden fishing boat to shreds it would be handy to be able to present a video tape of said boat's prior occupants handling RPG-7's and grappling hooks.

To your suggestion the CIWS would be unsuitable in this instance, it is very heavy for very little utility. The threat from these pirate groups generally do not include air assets and anti-ship missiles; Penguin, Exocet, Harpoon, etc. and are limited primarily to small arms, including various shoulder launched explosives. The Mk-110 naval gun has an extreme range of roughly 9 nautical miles, and an effective range of about 5 to 6. The effective range of the M61 Vulcan gun on the CIWS is only about a mile. There-fore in the interest of weight-to-utility it would be better to utilize an M167 VADS as an amidships mount, which uses the same M61 Vulcan, but in a much lighter package, and in the case of engaging surface targets would be of the same ability as a Block-1b CIWS which has the mounted manual aiming camera and FLIR.

Secondary crew served weapons should include .50 caliber mounts. Reviewing my earlier suggestion, while the M134 minigun "bullet hose" is nice, any power issues would leave the weapon non-functional. I suggested the M3 .50's instead of the M2's earlier due to their nearly doubled fire rate, and twin mounts on top of that. I would suggest two mounts amidships, one on each side, and at least one mount on the stern, preferably two, considering the primary attack pattern of these pirates has been to approach from the stern. All crew serve mounts should be suitably armored with kevlar panels and steel armor plate.

Finally, I've been watching the development of the SPIKE fire and forget missile system with some interest, especially its touted $5,000 per missile price-tag, when the next nearest comparable guided missile is near to $200,000 per copy. This would be the final "heavy" weapon system (non-smallarm) I'd suggest and may well prove quite useful against small fast moving craft (this missile was supposedly tested successfully against a remotely controlled ground vehicle traveling at 60mph perpendicular to the flight path of the missile), and who knows, China Lake might actually spot the ship a few units for testing purposes in an actual littoral combat situation.

Now, all the "fun toys" aside, a combat vessel is going to need a lot from it's crew as well. Being trained up in more mundane things such as at-sea replenishment evolutions, small boat operations, navigation, damage control, repair and maintenance, licensing and permits, drilling in how to respond to various events such as a man-overboard, general quarters, medical emergencies, repelling a close quarters assault, etc. Many things that can not be overlooked at the cost of lives or the ship. A venture like this is certainly far more involved than hauling the family boat down to the launching ramp and shoving off for a couple days putting up and down the placid inner coastal waterways. So, just how serious are you about this, or is this just a fun mental exercise?

Scout, check your PM's.
« Last Edit: February 20, 2011, 04:18:39 PM by kgbsquirrel »

Viking

• ❤︎ Fuck around & find out ❤︎
  • friend
  • Carnist Bloodmouth
« Reply #31 on: February 20, 2011, 04:45:35 PM »
I think that gives us a complete package that can be operated by 10-20 of us fools.  We'll definitely need Viking along to interpret the manuals, dials and gauges.

Count me in! =)
Maybe we could even get a reality show going and get some money that way? Think Discovery or History Channel would be interested? Pirate Hunters :cool:. Just make sure everyone curses constantly, that seems to be a requirement for the other shows on Discovery... =D.
Also, even though will be hunting pirates, we have to have a Jolly Roger :cool: =D.
“The modern world will not be punished. It is the punishment.” — Nicolás Gómez Dávila

kgbsquirrel

• APS Photoshop God
  • friend
« Reply #32 on: February 20, 2011, 05:01:10 PM »
Count me in! =)
Maybe we could even get a reality show going and get some money that way? Think Discovery or History Channel would be interested? Pirate Hunters :cool:. Just make sure everyone curses constantly, that seems to be a requirement for the other shows on Discovery... =D.
Also, even though will be hunting pirates, we have to have a Jolly Roger :cool: =D.

Killjoy moment.

All joking aside, and I hope you'll forgive me for being very direct and honest about the details of war, but I don't think they would be very interested, especially when it came time to see to the ugly business of killing. This sort of thing isn't like Dangerous Catch where the riskiest thing to be caught on tape is a person falling overboard or an industrial accident. Hunting pirates is the intentional pursuit and killing of other human beings, and while I firmly believe it to be a just and proper action, that is still it's base nature.

Hamilton Felix

• Part Time Good Guy
  • Do what's Right, not just what's easy.
« Reply #33 on: February 20, 2011, 05:01:57 PM »
The Russians seem to recall how to deal with pirates, judging by the video I saw not too long ago.  

We need either a change in regime, or some independent action.
Well, in the first place an armed society is a polite society. Manners are good when one may have to back up his acts with his life.  For me, politeness is a sine qua non of civilization. - R. A. Heinlein, Claude Mordan to Hamilton Felix, in Beyond This Horizon

Scout26

• friend
« Reply #34 on: February 20, 2011, 05:21:00 PM »

The lower part of the flag is black. We could put the skull and cross bones on there as that would then be the naval jack of Sealand, if HRH approves....

Hold fast by the river.
for the motherland.

vaskidmark

• National Anthem Snob
  • friends
  • WTF?
« Reply #35 on: February 20, 2011, 05:44:01 PM »
I've found the platform for the SS Fistful anti-pirate ship.  As an added bonus, it can offer the opportunity for not one, but two, actual mutinies.

http://www.foxnews.com/leisure/2011/02/18/travel-agency-marketing-history-making-egypt-cruise/

Got the idea from here http://booksbikesboomsticks.blogspot.com/2011/02/hostage-delivery-service.html .

How many APSers do we need to qualify for a group rate?  There are plenty of ports of call along the Med we can pull in to to pick up armaments.

stay safe.
If cowardly and dishonorable men sometimes shoot unarmed men with army pistols or guns, the evil must be prevented by the penitentiary and gallows, and not by a general deprivation of a constitutional privilege.

Hey you kids!! Get off my lawn!!!

They keep making this eternal vigilance thing harder and harder.  Protecting the 2nd amendment is like playing PACMAN - there's no pause button so you can go to the bathroom.

cassandra and sara's daddy

• friends
« Reply #36 on: February 20, 2011, 06:39:35 PM »
do we need to blow em outa the water? running them down would work just as well  pilot error is easier to spin than a loud bang
It is much more powerful to seek Truth for one's self.  Seeing and hearing that others seem to have found it can be a motivation.  With me, I was drawn because of much error and bad judgment on my part. Confronting one's own errors and bad judgment is a very life altering situation.  Confronting the errors and bad judgment of others is usually hypocrisy.

by someone older and wiser than I

kgbsquirrel

• APS Photoshop God
  • friend
« Reply #37 on: February 20, 2011, 07:01:41 PM »
do we need to blow em outa the water? running them down would work just as well  pilot error is easier to spin than a loud bang

You don't want to get in range of their RPG's.

230RN

• I saw it coming.
  • friend
  • ...shall not be infringed.
« Reply #38 on: February 20, 2011, 07:14:18 PM »
QUESTIONS:

(1)  Is there any way to ignite the magnesium engines of the VWs when dropping them?  (Magnesium burns in water, you know.)

(2)  Do nukes leave craters in the ocean surface?  (Unless they're backfilled, they might result in future hazards to navigation, you know.)

WHATEVER YOUR DEFINITION OF "INFRINGE " IS, YOU SHOULDN'T BE DOING IT.

kgbsquirrel

• APS Photoshop God
  • friend
« Reply #39 on: February 20, 2011, 07:34:47 PM »
Viking, please check your PM when you get the chance.

Scout26

• friend
« Reply #40 on: February 20, 2011, 08:36:15 PM »
This looks like a Hugin class at 1:13

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uf941T7pFTY

Hold fast by the river.
for the motherland.

kgbsquirrel

• APS Photoshop God
  • friend
« Reply #41 on: February 20, 2011, 08:38:45 PM »

Wrong superstructure and bow profile.

RaspberrySurprise

• friend
  • Yub yub Commander
« Reply #42 on: February 20, 2011, 09:11:54 PM »
You don't want to get in range of their RPG's.

How much damage would an RPG do to an Iowa class? I imagine they'd not do much against the hull but could probably damage the superstructure fairly well.
Look, tiny text!

kgbsquirrel

• APS Photoshop God
  • friend
« Reply #43 on: February 20, 2011, 09:16:48 PM »
How much damage would an RPG do to an Iowa class? I imagine they'd not do much against the hull but could probably damage the superstructure fairly well.

Sorry, I was thinking Hugin class PCFG, not Iowa class BB.

KD5NRH

• friends
  • I'm too sexy for you people.
« Reply #44 on: February 20, 2011, 09:58:37 PM »
Now, all the "fun toys" aside, a combat vessel is going to need a lot from it's crew as well.

This is why I think a pair of A-10s, a KC-10, and a well-defended airstrip would be much more practical; the ones not actually flying anything just have to hang around the airstrip and shoot anything that moves.

Besides, I think the A-10 is perfectly suited to be a boat hunter; it may be slow compared to other combat aircraft, but it's a couple orders of magnitude faster and more maneuverable than a boat, and the 30mm cannon does a great job of shredding an area at a lower cost than most missiles.

Pharmacology

• friends
« Reply #45 on: February 20, 2011, 10:14:32 PM »
Anti Pirate vessel for sale in Africa

We need a helicopter though.

ETA: Like this one  God bless google.  Micro will have to translate the manuals for us.

Heheh, that's awesome. I wish my Russian were up to the task!

Hawkmoon

• friend
« Reply #46 on: February 20, 2011, 10:57:15 PM »

Definitely not.

Wrong profile, wrong size.
- - - - - - - - - - - - -
100% Politically Incorrect by Design

White Horseradish

• friend
« Reply #47 on: February 20, 2011, 11:18:47 PM »
Heheh, that's awesome. I wish my Russian were up to the task!
I would be happy to help. For a share of prize money and lulz, of course. :)
Political tags - such as royalist, communist, democrat, populist, fascist, liberal, conservative, and so forth - are never basic criteria. The human race divides politically into those who want people to be controlled and those who have no such desire.

Robert A Heinlein

geronimotwo

• friend
« Reply #48 on: February 21, 2011, 10:39:58 AM »
much as i can romanticise the vision of roaming the high seas with pirates in the crosshairs, i think the real money could be made as a private security company.  have a "base" at either end of the pirate zone.  then charge the tankers etc a reasonable fee for a five man team with suitable long range equipment.  the team would then be dropped off at the far end of the zone, and be ready for a return trip on a different ship.  have enough teams for the amount of paying customers.  no ship maintenence or operating expenses involved.  pretty much  pure profit!
make the world idiot proof.....and you will have a world full of idiots. -g2

Tallpine

• friends
  • Grumpy Old Grandpa
« Reply #49 on: February 21, 2011, 11:51:11 AM »
much as i can romanticise the vision of roaming the high seas with pirates in the crosshairs, i think the real money could be made as a private security company.  have a "base" at either end of the pirate zone.  then charge the tankers etc a reasonable fee for a five man team with suitable long range equipment.  the team would then be dropped off at the far end of the zone, and be ready for a return trip on a different ship.  have enough teams for the amount of paying customers.  no ship maintenence or operating expenses involved.  pretty much  pure profit!

Your base might have to be a ship or ships, just because of how finicky the furriners are about bringing guns, etc into their countries.
Freedom is a heavy load, a great and strange burden for the spirit to undertake. It is not easy. It is not a gift given, but a choice made, and the choice may be a hard one. The road goes upward toward the light; but the laden traveller may never reach the end of it.  - Ursula Le Guin