Author Topic: Pirates grab another US boat and 4 people.  (Read 15597 times)

Harold Tuttle

• Professor Chromedome
  • friend
Re: Pirates grab another US boat and 4 people.
« Reply #75 on: February 22, 2011, 02:44:08 PM »
"This morning, with no warning, is when the rocket-propelled grenade was fired, and the gunfire erupted onboard the yacht," Vice Adm. Mark Fox, commander of U.S. Naval Forces Central Command, told reporters at the Pentagon, calling in from his headquarters in Bahrain.

http://www.aolnews.com/2011/02/22/somali-pirates-fired-grenade-then-killed-4-americans-us-says/
"The true mad scientist does not make public appearances! He does not wear the "Hello, my name is.." badge!
He strikes from below like a viper or on high like a penny dropped from the tallest building around!
He only has one purpose--Do bad things to good people! Mit science! What good is science if no one gets hurt?!"

Phyphor

• friend
« Reply #76 on: February 22, 2011, 02:46:38 PM »
Yea, that warship should suffer from a sudden rope shortage, if things were justly and properly handled.....
"You know what's messed-up about taxes?
You don't even pay taxes. They take tax.
You get your check, money gone.
That ain't a payment, that's a jack." - Chris Rock "Bigger and Blacker"
He slapped his rifle. "This is one of the best arguments for peace there is. Nobody wants to shoot if somebody is going to shoot back. " Callaghen, Callaghen, Louis La'mour

vaskidmark

• National Anthem Snob
  • friends
  • WTF?
« Reply #77 on: February 22, 2011, 02:57:05 PM »
The comments from the other thread on the pirate recently convicted and sentenced to 33 years of more meals in a day than most Somalis eat in a week, endless TV, and medical care for every tropical disease and parasite he brought into the cell with him, are all coming back in my head.

I'm beginning to think that since these pirates are also most likely going to get sentenced to something less than natural life, that doing so is in fact a violation of their 8th Amendment rights.  Is it not cruel and unusual to get them accustomed to regularly eating healthy, nutritious food and getting regular medical care, only to eventually return them to the festering cesspool that is Somalia?  Wouldn't is be more humane to put a tamper-proof tracking collar on them and return them to their homes immediately?

Those Predators can look and see how many others are sitting around near him before they unleash the explody stuff, can't they? :angel:

stay safe.
If cowardly and dishonorable men sometimes shoot unarmed men with army pistols or guns, the evil must be prevented by the penitentiary and gallows, and not by a general deprivation of a constitutional privilege.

Hey you kids!! Get off my lawn!!!

They keep making this eternal vigilance thing harder and harder.  Protecting the 2nd amendment is like playing PACMAN - there's no pause button so you can go to the bathroom.

Hawkmoon

• friend
« Reply #78 on: February 22, 2011, 03:22:44 PM »
A pirate in Somalia told the AP last week that pirates were more likely to attack Americans because of the sentencing.

"It's a black day for us and also the Americans, but they lost bigger than us," a pirate who said his name was Bile Hussein said. "If they still want a solution and safety for their citizens in the oceans, let them release our men they arrested."

In response, I think the United States should be saying, "If they want a solution and safety for their citizens anywhere in Somalia, let them release the ships and hostages they're holding and stop playing pirate, or their so-called 'strongholds' will be obliterated, with them inside."

Isn't there something about this situation in the Marine Corps Hymn?
- - - - - - - - - - - - -
100% Politically Incorrect by Design

Hawkmoon

• friend
« Reply #79 on: February 22, 2011, 03:29:18 PM »
I'd like to add . . . with four dead Americans, am I the only one who is saddened that 13 living pirates were captured?

Chum is better when it's kept fresh.

Just sayin' ...

kgbsquirrel

• APS Photoshop God
  • friend
  • Bill, slayer of threads.
« Reply #80 on: February 22, 2011, 09:36:45 PM »
"If they want a solution and safety for their citizens anywhere in Somalia...."

That presumes they care anything for their fellow citizens. From what I've observed (opinion alert!) these folks are stereotypically self-centered and would toss a dozen other Somali's under a steam roller if it meant getting a little extra scratch for themselves. If you wish to properly motivate them to cease pirating you'll have to use methods that directly affect themselves personally, ie. blowing up any pirate skiff just as it's leaving their haven port.

Hawkmoon

• friend
« Reply #81 on: February 22, 2011, 10:10:57 PM »
The Daily Mail is now reporting that the pirates (or their "associates" ashore) are claiming the Navy attacked them first, and that they killed the hostages because they had no other choice.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-1359000/Somali-pirates-killed-4-Americans-hijacked-yacht-claim-US-Navy-fired-first.html

Azrael256

• friend
« Reply #82 on: February 22, 2011, 10:25:12 PM »
The Daily Mail is now reporting that the pirates (or their "associates" ashore) are claiming the Navy attacked them first, and that they killed the hostages because they had no other choice

Yes... Other than careers that don't involve piracy and surrendering instead of murder...  Hmm.

Why did the SEALs take them alive again?

kgbsquirrel

• APS Photoshop God
  • friend
« Reply #83 on: February 22, 2011, 10:27:30 PM »
Yes... Other than careers that don't involve piracy and surrendering instead of murder...  Hmm.

Why did the SEALs take them alive again?

Cause the brown show CO on the ship stopped them before their guy could shank the other 13?

Scout26

• I'm a leaf on the wind.
  • friend
  • I spent a week in that town one night....
« Reply #84 on: February 22, 2011, 11:03:06 PM »
"This morning, with no warning, is when the rocket-propelled grenade was fired, and the gunfire erupted onboard the yacht," Vice Adm. Mark Fox, commander of U.S. Naval Forces Central Command, told reporters at the Pentagon, calling in from his headquarters in Bahrain.

http://www.aolnews.com/2011/02/22/somali-pirates-fired-grenade-then-killed-4-americans-us-says/

I could easily see one of the pirates having an AD with an RPG and the others just start shooting.....
Some days even my lucky rocketship underpants won't help.

Bring me my Broadsword and a clear understanding.
Get up to the roundhouse on the cliff-top standing.
Take women and children and bed them down.
Bless with a hard heart those that stand with me.
Bless the women and children who firm our hands.
Put our backs to the north wind.
Hold fast by the river.
Sweet memories to drive us on,
for the motherland.

KD5NRH

• friends
  • I'm too sexy for you people.
« Reply #85 on: February 22, 2011, 11:59:54 PM »
This may not (and likely will not) garner many positive responses, but it needs to be said.  While I can appreciate the couples' dedication to their mission and faith, and am very saddened to hear of their fate and the associated grief their families will be facing, intentionally sailing directly into what amounts to an active war zone greatly tempers my sympathies.  If you know there's a fire and you intentionally sail around the world to jump into it, well, don't be surprised when the obvious happens.

From the map in one of the articles, it looks like they were closer to Pakistan than Somalia.  Probably trying to stay away from what's generally understood as the bad place, while still sailing to Oman, but underestimated the pirates' range.  They should have followed the coast of Oman a lot closer, but they weren't exactly touring the Somali coast.

kgbsquirrel

• APS Photoshop God
  • friend
« Reply #86 on: February 23, 2011, 01:12:59 AM »
From the map in one of the articles, it looks like they were closer to Pakistan than Somalia.  Probably trying to stay away from what's generally understood as the bad place, while still sailing to Oman, but underestimated the pirates' range.  They should have followed the coast of Oman a lot closer, but they weren't exactly touring the Somali coast.

*nod* Pirate "mother ships" have been known to range more than a thousand miles from the coast of Somalia in recent years. They're no longer just picking off humanitarian aid ships and such that come close to their coast but are now threatening any and all traffic in the Arabian and Red Seas, and so a lesser extent the north-western Indian Ocean. I expect the only reason we haven't seen them take a ship in the Persian Gulf yet is because Iranian fast attack boats would swat them as soon as they tried to pass through the Strait of Hormuz.

RoadKingLarry

• friends
« Reply #87 on: February 23, 2011, 03:21:35 AM »
Who do you suppose is profiting from the Somali pirates and has neough world clout to allow it to continue? [tinfoil]

Or is it just a case that the "world" doesn't have the spine to correct the problem
If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or your arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that you were our countrymen.

Samuel Adams

Jamisjockey

• Booze-fueled paragon of pointless cruelty and wanton sadism
  • friend
  • Your mom sends me care packages
« Reply #88 on: February 23, 2011, 08:17:42 AM »
Who do you suppose is profiting from the Somali pirates and has neough world clout to allow it to continue? [tinfoil]

Or is it just a case that the "world" doesn't have the spine to correct the problem

Globalisim and the liberal ideal of "justice" permeating the world.   
JD

The price of a lottery ticket seems to be the maximum most folks are willing to risk toward the dream of becoming a one-percenter. “Robert Hollis”

vaskidmark

• National Anthem Snob
  • friends
  • WTF?
« Reply #89 on: February 23, 2011, 08:34:54 AM »
And how f-king dare anyone out there say bad things about the pirates.  After all they've been through.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cDDEhLw1PVI

Actually, according to this guy http://oldsaltshaker.blogspot.com/2011/02/jaccuse.html it really is NOT the fault of the pirates.

[barf]

I started to write something about his opinion, then deleted it and started over.  Did that several times.  Just cannot find the words to do him justice.

stay safe.
If cowardly and dishonorable men sometimes shoot unarmed men with army pistols or guns, the evil must be prevented by the penitentiary and gallows, and not by a general deprivation of a constitutional privilege.

Hey you kids!! Get off my lawn!!!

They keep making this eternal vigilance thing harder and harder.  Protecting the 2nd amendment is like playing PACMAN - there's no pause button so you can go to the bathroom.

kgbsquirrel

• APS Photoshop God
  • friend
« Reply #90 on: February 23, 2011, 09:32:21 AM »
I started to write something about his opinion, then deleted it and started over.  Did that several times.  Just cannot find the words to do him justice.

I know how you feel. Had a conversation with PTK once after something particularly upsetting occurred, my statement to him was as follows: "Despite many years as a sailor I lack the appropriate vulgarity to adequately describe my current thoughts."

Just go out into the backyard and beat something with a 2x4 that makes a sufficiently satisfying thump, you'll feel better.

280plus

• friend
  • Ever get that sinking feeling?
« Reply #91 on: February 23, 2011, 10:05:31 AM »
Yea, it must be bad if a sailor can't swear his way out of it.  :O
Avoid cliches like the plague!

PTK

• friends
« Reply #92 on: February 23, 2011, 10:07:55 AM »
I know how you feel. Had a conversation with PTK once after something particularly upsetting occurred, my statement to him was as follows: "Despite many years as a sailor I lack the appropriate vulgarity to adequately describe my current thoughts."

That, to this day, still stuns me... that you would lack the vocabulary, the eloquence, to describe how upset you were at that moment. I mean, after all the colorful swears? :O
"Only lucky people grow old." - Frederick L.
September 1915 - August 2008

"If you really do have cancer "this time", then this is your own fault. Like the little boy who cried wolf."

KD5NRH

• friends
  • I'm too sexy for you people.
« Reply #93 on: February 23, 2011, 10:07:38 PM »
Yea, that warship should suffer from a sudden rope shortage, if things were justly and properly handled.....

Or transfer them to the nearest Nimitz class carrier for a nice slow keelhauling.