Author Topic: The dog debate.  (Read 23625 times)

never_retreat

• Head Muckety Muck
  • friend
The dog debate.
« on: February 22, 2011, 11:01:24 AM »
We currently have a 1.5 year old golden retriever. Were are thinking about getting another dog. Whenever we dog sit the dog seems much happier and gets plenty of exercise playing with each other.
Help me pick a dog.
I'm looking for a dog that is more protective than the lick the bad guy golden. <--This is a big part of my selection.
Dogs that are off the list.
German Shepard (gf hates them got bit by one when she was a kid) I like them but I can't win that war.
Anything the drools more than the amount of coffee I drink in a day.
Anything that needs to be groomed (I referring to more than brushing)
No ankle bitters (I know they are good watch dogs but so is the golden)
Sub 100lbs I don't want a horse.
No dogs that look like they just got of the boat from Somalia (whipits or vishla looking twigs)
Rotweilers (although intimidating they tend to be lazy)
I want to avoid breeds that have almost clock like heath problems.

I'm personally leaning towards a Japanese Akita Inu. Some web sites say they weigh between 60-120 lbs. I currently know 1 person with this breed and his is not 120 lbs. There is a separate American breed of this dog I believe they are the bigger ones. Other things I read were that they tend to not do well with other dogs or small animals. I think this can be fixed just by raising them from a pup with other dogs and animals around. Obviously I can't have it get bigger than the golden and decide to eat it. We also travel and have friends that travel so we dog sit a lot and have ours watched often. Usually we watch another golden or a sheepdog. My parents have a Sheltie we usually don't have to watch but I don't want it to think smaller stuff is food.
I really started to notice this on an Akita rescue site. Dogs were commonly listed with no dog, no cat, or no kids warnings.
I know rescue dogs are sometimes whacked in the head so I understand the warnings.

So what does APS recommend?

The Akita is docile, intelligent, courageous and fearless. Careful and very affectionate with its family. Sometimes spontaneous, it needs a firm, confident, consistent pack leader. Without it the dog will be very willful and may become very aggressive to other dogs and animals. It needs firm training as a puppy. The objective in training this dog is to achieve a pack leader status. It is a natural instinct for a dog to have an order in their pack. When we humans live with dogs, we become their pack. The entire pack cooperates under a single leader. Lines are clearly defined. You and all other humans MUST be higher up in the order than the dog. That is the only way your relationship can be a success. If the dog is allowed to believe he is the leader over the humans he may become very food-possessive as he tells the humans to wait their turn. He eats first. The Akita Inu is a first class guard dog. Japanese mothers would often leave their children in the family Akita's care. They are extremely faithful and thrive on firm leadership from their handlers. It should definitely be supervised with other household pets and children. Although the breed may tolerate and be good with children from his own family, if you do not teach this dog he is below all humans in the pack order he may not accept other children and if teased, Akita's may bite. Children must be taught to display leadership qualities and at the same time respecting the dog. With the right type of owner, the proper amount of daily mental and physical exercise and firm training, they can make a fine pet. Obedience training requires patience, as these dogs tend to get bored quickly. The Akita Inu needs to be with its family. It vocalizes with many interesting sounds, but it is not an excessive barker.
« Last Edit: February 22, 2011, 11:22:26 AM by never_retreat »
I needed a mod to change my signature because the concept of "family friendly" eludes me.
Just noticed that a mod changed my signature. How long ago was that?
A few months-mods

Scout26

• I'm a leaf on the wind.
  • friend
  • I spent a week in that town one night....
Re: The dog debate.
« Reply #1 on: February 22, 2011, 11:11:27 AM »
GSP  ;)
Some days even my lucky rocketship underpants won't help.

Bring me my Broadsword and a clear understanding.
Get up to the roundhouse on the cliff-top standing.
Take women and children and bed them down.
Bless with a hard heart those that stand with me.
Bless the women and children who firm our hands.
Put our backs to the north wind.
Hold fast by the river.
Sweet memories to drive us on,
for the motherland.

charby

• Necromancer
  • Administrator
  • APS's Resident Sikh/Muslim
« Reply #2 on: February 22, 2011, 11:12:02 AM »
Is your current dog male or female (and fixed?)
Iowa- 88% more livable that the rest of the US

Uranus is a gas giant.

Team 444: Member# 536

never_retreat

• Head Muckety Muck
  • friend
« Reply #3 on: February 22, 2011, 11:16:23 AM »
What is GSP Scout?
The current dog is female and fixed.

I forgot to add we have a house and 2+ acres, we are not apartment or city folk.
I needed a mod to change my signature because the concept of "family friendly" eludes me.
A few months-mods

roo_ster

• Kakistocracy--It's What's For Dinner.
  • friend
  • Hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats
« Reply #4 on: February 22, 2011, 11:33:42 AM »
GSP  ;)

I'll give that a big ol' +1.  Since you already have another dog, the GSP energy issues will be dealt with by your original dog.  Both will be much happier pooches, will play like heck all day, and come inside at night to love on ya and enjoy your company. 

German Shorthaired Pointer, the Swiss Army Knife of Dogs.

Point out game for a hunter?  yes.
Retrieve shot game for a hunter? yes.
Track game for a hunter with nose? yes.
General varminting around the homestead for a farmer? yes.
Affectionate family dog? yes.
Big enough to be a credible threat to goblins? yes.
Territorial/protective enough to protect family & kids? yes.
Alert enough to wake/alert you when Something Isn't Right? yes.
Generally friendly to folks, once introduced? yes.

And low-maintenance with that short hair.  Our current female is 45#, our late male was 65#.  If you don't neuter the male, he will likely have a physique like a middle-weight boxer (pugilist, not dog breed) and be beautiful.  I had no problem, as a newbie dog owner, training and getting an intact male to mind.

I have a few threads here at APS about Ten (our late male GSP) and Misty, (our live female GSP).

Regards,

roo_ster

“Fallacies do not cease to be fallacies because they become fashions.”
----G.K. Chesterton

roo_ster

• Kakistocracy--It's What's For Dinner.
  • friend
  • Hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats
« Reply #5 on: February 22, 2011, 11:37:24 AM »
Ten, Misty, and my boy at 12MO or so:

Another (Misty had flopped her head back, my boy didn;t grab hold & pull):

More recent, after Ten passed:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/German_shorthaired_pointer
« Last Edit: February 22, 2011, 11:49:54 AM by roo_ster »
Regards,

roo_ster

“Fallacies do not cease to be fallacies because they become fashions.”
----G.K. Chesterton

Pharmacology

• friends
« Reply #6 on: February 22, 2011, 11:46:45 AM »
Another note:  I have 3 German Shepherds.
They are seriously emotionally needy. I tend to rule the yard by intimidation, and it causes them emotional distress sometimes.

castle key

• friend
« Reply #7 on: February 22, 2011, 12:08:18 PM »
GSP is great idea
Viszla
Rhodesian Ridgeback
various setters
Clumber Spaniel-these are great
Nova Scotia Duck Tolling Retriever (yes, that is the name)

I would stay away from most of the Terrier Group
You likely will find a good option in Sporting Group
Most Working Group dogs not likely but there are some good ones
Akita not so much
Many of the Herding Group
Vigilate hoc, tenendum per ebrietatem.

BlueStarLizzard

• Queen of the Cislords
  • friend
  • Oh please, nobody died last time...
« Reply #8 on: February 22, 2011, 12:10:39 PM »
Be very very very careful with an akita. Even a dog from a really good breeder can turn up aggressive a nuts. Even raising it from a pup can result in bad mojo. Natural temperments do show up later in life, expecially amid the crazies.

The reason they are so darn rare is because, outside those who are die hard akita lovers, nobody gets them. They are incredibly difficult to raise up well and one mistake can be a life long curse.

I would recommend a much more stable breed.
"Okay, um, I'm lost. Uh, I'm angry, and I'm armed, so if you two have something that you need to work out --" -Malcolm Reynolds

BlueStarLizzard

• Queen of the Cislords
  • friend
« Reply #9 on: February 22, 2011, 12:13:13 PM »
Btw, that breed discription is funny. 'may bite' my butt, try 'will maul'.
"Okay, um, I'm lost. Uh, I'm angry, and I'm armed, so if you two have something that you need to work out --" -Malcolm Reynolds

gunsmith

• I forgot to get vaccinated!
  • friend
  • I'm sorry, Dave. I'm afraid I can't do that.
« Reply #10 on: February 22, 2011, 12:24:22 PM »

Rhodesian Ridgeback  cool friendly dogs that are easy to maintain, clean, good with kids and not afraid of lions

Airedales, friendly clean little shed but strong tough - can be trained as a police dog but looks like a love bug

Politicians and bureaucrats are considered productive if they swarm the populace like a plague of locust, devouring all substance in their path and leaving a swath of destruction like a firestorm. The technical term is "bipartisanship".
Rocket Man: "The need for booster shots for the immunized has always been based on the science.  Political science, not medical science."

BlueStarLizzard

• Queen of the Cislords
  • friend
« Reply #11 on: February 22, 2011, 12:28:57 PM »

Rhodesian Ridgeback  cool friendly dogs that are easy to maintain, clean, good with kids and not afraid of lions

Airedales, friendly clean little shed but strong tough - can be trained as a police dog but looks like a love bug

On a well maintained coat, we charge about $70 for a full groom. And that coat HAS GOT TO BE GROOMED.

never_retreat

• Head Muckety Muck
  • friend
« Reply #12 on: February 22, 2011, 12:32:48 PM »
Rhodesian Ridgeback are kind of on the list,  but I have a friends with a few and they are all huge.
The GF likes Irish setters. I'm not a big setter fan just on the looks.
She pointed out that I have a likeness towards more wolf looking dogs.
Anyone have experience with Jindo's? They are similar looking to the Akita originating from Korea. A bit smaller also max 50 lbs.
A few months-mods

Jamisjockey

• Booze-fueled paragon of pointless cruelty and wanton sadism
  • friend
  • Your mom sends me care packages
« Reply #13 on: February 22, 2011, 12:35:32 PM »
I'm not a fan of ridgebacks.  The only dogs I've ever encountered that I've honestly been afraid of were a ridgeback that a friend had in south texas and a pitbull a friend had in Virginia.
Did I mention the dog that attacked me while I was riding my bike in 2003 was a ridgeback?  

GSP are good dogs.
Lab is always a good choice.  Faithful to a fault.
If you want something a little smaller, look at Brittanys.  

JD

The price of a lottery ticket seems to be the maximum most folks are willing to risk toward the dream of becoming a one-percenter. “Robert Hollis”

BlueStarLizzard

• Queen of the Cislords
  • friend
« Reply #14 on: February 22, 2011, 12:38:27 PM »
Jeez, you go from uncommen to rare breed.

No experiance. Are there even any american breeders?

Doggy Daddy

• Poobah
  • friend
  • From the saner side of Las Vegas
« Reply #15 on: February 22, 2011, 12:38:48 PM »

Used to visit with a friend of a friend years ago who had an Airedale.  Great dog, and very good with the infant/toddler in the house.  I've considered getting an Airedale many times since then, but always seem to wind up with a shelter rescue, a member of an "unplanned" litter, or a stray.  I'm not complaining.  Dogs that come from hard times seem to realize it when you take them in.

Oh, let me put in a good word for Chow mixes.  The two in my (current) avatar are both Chow mixes.  Very affectionate, and very good at keeping an eye on the "estate".  Dotty seems to have a regular self-imposed schedule to walk the perimeter.  She can sleep anywhere she wants, and will often lay on the bed until I nod off.  Then she patrols and will nap either by the back gate or just inside the doggy door if it's cold or windy.  It's only when humans are awake that she'll sleep soundly.

DD
Would you exchange
a walk-on part in a war
for a lead role in a cage?
-P.F.

BlueStarLizzard

• Queen of the Cislords
  • friend
« Reply #16 on: February 22, 2011, 12:43:13 PM »
Have you considered an Alaskan Malamute? They tend to be more aggressive and territorial then the siberian but still very active and playful. And its the right size range.

from a good breeder and with a steady hand, they can be very good. Just don't let them run unconfined!

Balog

• Unrepentant race traitor
  • friends
  • What if we tried more?
« Reply #17 on: February 22, 2011, 12:45:32 PM »
Why the heavy preferrence towards Asiatic breeds? They kind of obscure over here...

In any case, I'm a huge fan of well bred, working line pit bulls. Don't let the media bs scare you. GSP's are great as well, our dog is a GSP mixed with either pit or American Bulldog and we're really happy with him.
Quote from: French G.
I was always pleasant, friendly and within arm's reach of a gun.

Quote from: Standing Wolf
If government is the answer, it must have been a really, really, really stupid question.

BlueStarLizzard

• Queen of the Cislords
  • friend
« Reply #18 on: February 22, 2011, 12:48:59 PM »
Why the heavy preferrence towards Asiatic breeds? They kind of obscure over here...

In any case, I'm a huge fan of well bred, working line pit bulls. Don't let the media bs scare you. GSP's are great as well, our dog is a GSP mixed with either pit or American Bulldog and we're really happy with him.

I love good pits, stafs and am. BD but...

Your homeowners insurance goes up up and away!

Something one does need to consider, and unfortunatly, prevents good people from getting good dogs.

Balog

• friends
  • What if we tried more?
« Reply #19 on: February 22, 2011, 12:50:23 PM »
That is not the case with my insurance, I think. Course we list him as a GSP mix just like the shelter we got him from.

If government is the answer, it must have been a really, really, really stupid question.

BlueStarLizzard

• Queen of the Cislords
  • friend
« Reply #20 on: February 22, 2011, 12:58:15 PM »
That is not the case with my insurance, I think. Course we list him as a GSP mix just like the shelter we got him from.

Just fair warning, if someone comes to check and they know dogs and see's that he's got pit in him, play like you know NOTHING and the shelter bamboozled you into thinking he was just innocent mutt. Then pay the increase.  =|

My bosses are lucky ducks. Anatolians are not on insurance companys radar and they didn't have a wolf hybrid... Roger was 100% wolf  :angel:

gunsmith

• I forgot to get vaccinated!
  • friend
  • I'm sorry, Dave. I'm afraid I can't do that.
« Reply #21 on: February 22, 2011, 12:59:42 PM »
I'm not a fan of ridgebacks.  
Did I mention the dog that attacked me while I was riding my bike in 2003 was a ridgeback?  

I've never encountered a ridgeback like that, I've heard even labs can bite.
Politicians and bureaucrats are considered productive if they swarm the populace like a plague of locust, devouring all substance in their path and leaving a swath of destruction like a firestorm. The technical term is "bipartisanship".
Rocket Man: "The need for booster shots for the immunized has always been based on the science.  Political science, not medical science."

Balog

• friends
  • What if we tried more?
« Reply #22 on: February 22, 2011, 01:01:22 PM »
My feelings are if they wanna jack my rates up they can GD well prove what he's mixed with. But USAA has always been great to work with so I doubt it'll be an issue.

never_retreat

• Head Muckety Muck
  • friend
« Reply #23 on: February 22, 2011, 01:01:55 PM »
Jeez, you go from uncommen to rare breed.

No experiance. Are there even any american breeders?
I don't know I just happen to stumble upon the jindo.
A few months-mods

BlueStarLizzard

• Queen of the Cislords
  • friend
« Reply #24 on: February 22, 2011, 01:08:30 PM »
My feelings are if they wanna jack my rates up they can GD well prove what he's mixed with. But USAA has always been great to work with so I doubt it'll be an issue.

*chuckle* true. Of course, if they get really snotty they can do a dna test to figure out breed type, but that would take time and effort.

Rodisians do have a history of being aggressive and are not a breed I would fully trust under many circumstances.

And try looking at more commen breeds, as the rarer it is the harder its goig to be to find, the less knowledgable advice you can get and the more expensive its going to be.

Anatolians are considered rare on about the same spot in the scale as akitas. birinci dogs sell for about $800 to $1500 depending on the breeding.