Author Topic: The dog debate.  (Read 23626 times)

never_retreat

• Head Muckety Muck
  • friend
Re: The dog debate.
« Reply #25 on: February 22, 2011, 01:12:55 PM »
Have you considered an Alaskan Malamute? They tend to be more aggressive and territorial then the siberian but still very active and playful. And its the right size range.

from a good breeder and with a steady hand, they can be very good. Just don't let them run unconfined!
I like the Alaskan Malamute but again I know someone with one and it is massive. Its not off the list if I can find a breeder using small parents.
A husky is a possibility also.

I don't have the OMG its a pit bull need to kill it mentality. My friend had (died recently) pit/english bulldog mix that he had rescued. Great dog good with other dogs hatted cats and had to be watched around women he did not know. Built like a brick crap house. But had a lot or joint problems. That dogs only saving grace it that the owner had a cousin that is a vet and did the work on the cheap.

Why the heavy preferrence towards Asiatic breeds? They kind of obscure over here...
Don't know, something different.
I needed a mod to change my signature because the concept of "family friendly" eludes me.
Just noticed that a mod changed my signature. How long ago was that?
A few months-mods

Harold Tuttle

• Professor Chromedome
  • friend
« Reply #26 on: February 22, 2011, 01:29:33 PM »
terrier

2x the smarts and tenacious
"The true mad scientist does not make public appearances! He does not wear the "Hello, my name is.." badge!
He strikes from below like a viper or on high like a penny dropped from the tallest building around!
He only has one purpose--Do bad things to good people! Mit science! What good is science if no one gets hurt?!"

Harold Tuttle

• Professor Chromedome
  • friend
« Reply #27 on: February 22, 2011, 01:33:47 PM »
irish red terriers are cool, or a bouvier de flandes
"The true mad scientist does not make public appearances! He does not wear the "Hello, my name is.." badge!
He strikes from below like a viper or on high like a penny dropped from the tallest building around!
He only has one purpose--Do bad things to good people! Mit science! What good is science if no one gets hurt?!"

BlueStarLizzard

• Queen of the Cislords
  • friend
  • Oh please, nobody died last time...
« Reply #28 on: February 22, 2011, 01:50:39 PM »
They are not supposed to be that massive. Unfortunatly, its one of those breeds that attracted the idiot element for awhile and the result (like labs) are oversized, agressive, dumbed down or neurotic beasties.

They are heavy dogs, but are not supposed to be huge. Siberans are the racers/endurance and thus a lot smaller and more agile. Malamutes are the freaters, to pull heavy loads.

Watch out with the sib. In temperment it doesn't fit your criteria. The best (and truest) joke I ever jeard is "the first time they fetch is your valubles for the robber". They are really smart clowns. As in to smart for their own darn good. They are notorous for being hudeini dogs and escape for funnsies and then they do what their breed for, they run. And run, and run.

Malamutes tend to be a bit dumber and more mellow, and to have som sembalence of dignity (sibes have no dignity ;) ). Not to the point where they are boring, but more managable then the sibe. They need a stronger hand and, like I said, can be a bit aggressive if not handled well, but a good dog, with a good owner is wonderful.

We have a female, Juno, that boards. Her owners think she is a sibe. She's not. Anyway, cute as a button, playful, loves her buddie (husky cross named katie) and very cuddly when she wants. Also, clean and well behaved. Her biggest fault is nobody took the time to really teach her to walk on a lead.

both breeds tend to be happy wih other dogs, love kids (play time!) But can be death to cats.

If the size and shape confuses you, one method to tell sibes and malamutes appart is malamutes do not, should not, never, ever, have blue eyes.

I love siberians. I grew up with two. If you can take the fact that they will make a fool out of you on a regular basis, go for it. Nothing more fun then a sibe. Also nthing more exsaperating, hairraising or wildly rotten! anyone tells you diffrent, then they've never been around one.
"Okay, um, I'm lost. Uh, I'm angry, and I'm armed, so if you two have something that you need to work out --" -Malcolm Reynolds

BlueStarLizzard

• Queen of the Cislords
  • friend
« Reply #29 on: February 22, 2011, 02:01:45 PM »
irish red terriers are cool, or a bouvier de flandes

Both involve lots of grooming, the terriers require a professional.
terrier

2x the smarts and tenacious
:facepalm:

I do NOT like the trend of everyone and their brother getting terriers. The result is really messed up dogs filling the local pound.

Terriers are Hunting dogs. Their name comes from'terra' or earth, because thats where their pray generally resides. Unlike dogs breed for sport hunting, they were the hunting dogs of the commen folk and were used as pest control, killing vermin, with little human direction.

Their instincts, to this day, are 'snap' and then 'kill'. they can make great pets, but they are not for everyone.
They are tenatious and smart, but in most households, especially with young children, this can be bad mojo. Even worse when someone who really knows nothing about them gets one.

And before someone gets upset, because I have talked 'bad' about their presious jr or whatever. I love terriers, and I have seen this $#&#$# problem ruin one to many wonderful dogs.
"Okay, um, I'm lost. Uh, I'm angry, and I'm armed, so if you two have something that you need to work out --" -Malcolm Reynolds

French G.

• friend
  • ohhh sparkles!
« Reply #30 on: February 22, 2011, 02:21:42 PM »
On the arctic breeds and running. My neighbors 2 miles distant and up a mountain had a male Malamute and a female husky, later replaced by a young female husky/wolf mix. All sweet dogs but they were in my yard more than my dog it seemed. Or just long enough to talk my dog into going off to run deer.

My current white GSD is the first animal that has not come from a shelter or just walked in looking for hand-outs. Very smart in his own stupid way. Needs love, attention, and pretty constant reminders about who is boss. Our old dog could go months before discovering the invisible fence was not working. This one checks every morning.Probably a 2 acre perimeter, little path all around.

One of my neighbors is a pretty serious sheep farmer. Also works full time. She got a young female border collie to get trained, but left it tied while she was at work. I picked the dog up and brought it home, it was crouched on the outside of a blind curve trying to herd cars with a little stub of chewed through steel cable lead still clipped on her collar. Fed her, returned her home that evening. 2 days later, same dog, same plan, new chewed lead. No herding  dogs unless you have plenty of time for love and something for them to do.

I remember some folks that had airedales when I was a kid, sweet dogs.
AKA Navy Joe   

I'm so contrarian that I didn't respond to the thread.

BlueStarLizzard

• Queen of the Cislords
  • friend
« Reply #31 on: February 22, 2011, 02:36:49 PM »
French, that is indeed the problem with herders, especially boarder collies and aussies.

When we first got Graham, we saw him attempt to herd the other dogs and cats all the time,and pearl started to refuse playing fetch when he was out, because he would beat her to the ball and then have to be chased to get it back. Pearlie was very offended, as she always trots back promptly with the ball and sits at my feet to give it back.  :lol:

And thats the worlds only LAZY border collie! He is currently snoring on the couch.

We have a few that board well. The rest poop and pace, which is not a good combo. Even the ones that don't poop still pace and get themselves extreamly worked up. The ones that are straight pets with, well, lazy owners, are all extreamly nurotic and snappish as well.   =| working dogs like being working dogs and if you don't give them some sort of 'job' they either find one themselves (which does not often end well) or they go bonkers.

roo_ster

• Kakistocracy--It's What's For Dinner.
  • friend
  • Hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats
« Reply #32 on: February 22, 2011, 02:50:19 PM »
My current white GSD is the first animal that has not come from a shelter or just walked in looking for hand-outs. Very smart in his own stupid way. Needs love, attention, and pretty constant reminders about who is boss. Our old dog could go months before discovering the invisible fence was not working. This one checks every morning.Probably a 2 acre perimeter, little path all around.

We went with the exposed hot wire 6" up off the ground, at the fence line.

One or two shocks and none of my GSPs messed with the wire, again.
Regards,

roo_ster

“Fallacies do not cease to be fallacies because they become fashions.”
----G.K. Chesterton

BlueStarLizzard

• Queen of the Cislords
  • friend
« Reply #33 on: February 22, 2011, 03:20:06 PM »
We went with the exposed hot wire 6" up off the ground, at the fence line.

One or two shocks and none of my GSPs messed with the wire, again.

We have one anatolian bitch that was out with the goats for awhile. The goats have hot fencing. Tiger lily figured out pretty quick that if she tried to go through it, it would hurt.

So she would put her head down, scream bloody murder and run through the fence as fast as she could.  ;/

She now lives in a covered run in the main kennel.  :laugh:

Hawkmoon

• friend
« Reply #34 on: February 22, 2011, 03:41:15 PM »
Sub 100lbs I don't want a horse.
I'm personally leaning towards a Japanese Akita Inu. Some web sites say they weigh between 60-120 lbs. I currently know 1 person with this breed and his is not 120 lbs.

I vote against the Akita. My stepson (in South America, not the U.S.) has one. First, it's one of the biggest dogs I've ever met (short of a couple of Saint Bernards and one Rhodesian Ridgeback).

Second and more important, my stepson runs a nursing home. About two months ago, the dog attacked an 80+ year old resident of the home for no apparent reason. Only after this incident did my stepdaughter volunteer the information that she twice intervened as the dog was zeroing in on her toddler son.
« Last Edit: February 22, 2011, 03:48:26 PM by Hawkmoon »
- - - - - - - - - - - - -
100% Politically Incorrect by Design

Balog

• Unrepentant race traitor
  • friends
  • What if we tried more?
« Reply #35 on: February 22, 2011, 03:50:47 PM »
Well, in all fairness I could probably list an unprovoked mauling/biting incident for every breed in existence. Labs, goldens, Newfoundlands etc etc have all killed people for no damn reason before.
Quote from: French G.
I was always pleasant, friendly and within arm's reach of a gun.

Quote from: Standing Wolf
If government is the answer, it must have been a really, really, really stupid question.

cassandra and sara's daddy

• friends
« Reply #36 on: February 22, 2011, 05:12:49 PM »
real wide range in size with akitas  breed was almost wiped out during ww2 (think food)  was down to at most a couple hundred pairs. 
It is much more powerful to seek Truth for one's self.  Seeing and hearing that others seem to have found it can be a motivation.  With me, I was drawn because of much error and bad judgment on my part. Confronting one's own errors and bad judgment is a very life altering situation.  Confronting the errors and bad judgment of others is usually hypocrisy.

by someone older and wiser than I

Jamisjockey

• Booze-fueled paragon of pointless cruelty and wanton sadism
  • friend
  • Your mom sends me care packages
« Reply #37 on: February 22, 2011, 05:23:50 PM »
Well, in all fairness I could probably list an unprovoked mauling/biting incident for every breed in existence. Labs, goldens, Newfoundlands etc etc have all killed people for no damn reason before.

Sure. But some animals are built and bred for killing.  Instinct cannot be ignored.
JD

The price of a lottery ticket seems to be the maximum most folks are willing to risk toward the dream of becoming a one-percenter. “Robert Hollis”

cassandra and sara's daddy

• friends
« Reply #38 on: February 22, 2011, 05:59:06 PM »
true  thats why my chicken coop is damn near armored as well as strung with hot wire.  to keep my husky lab mix out
It is much more powerful to seek Truth for one's self.  Seeing and hearing that others seem to have found it can be a motivation.  With me, I was drawn because of much error and bad judgment on my part. Confronting one's own errors and bad judgment is a very life altering situation.  Confronting the errors and bad judgment of others is usually hypocrisy.

by someone older and wiser than I

Balog

• friends
  • What if we tried more?
« Reply #39 on: February 22, 2011, 05:59:56 PM »
Sure. But some animals are built and bred for killing.  Instinct cannot be ignored.

Out side of a few working lines of the various shepherd breeds no dogs are bred to have an "instinct" to hurt humans. Some of the terriers are snappy, some of the herders are nippy, and a lot of breeds from a lot of groups are territorial. But this "bred to kill" foolishness is about on par with how EBR's are designed to shoot up schools.  ;/ If your dog mauls your kid, 99.9% of the time it's the owner's fault not some mysterious "killer instinct."

If government is the answer, it must have been a really, really, really stupid question.

never_retreat

• Head Muckety Muck
  • friend
« Reply #40 on: February 22, 2011, 06:15:09 PM »
They are not supposed to be that massive. Unfortunatly, its one of those breeds that attracted the idiot element for awhile and the result (like labs) are oversized, agressive, dumbed down or neurotic beasties.

They are heavy dogs, but are not supposed to be huge. Siberans are the racers/endurance and thus a lot smaller and more agile. Malamutes are the freaters, to pull heavy loads.

Watch out with the sib. In temperment it doesn't fit your criteria. The best (and truest) joke I ever jeard is "the first time they fetch is your valubles for the robber". They are really smart clowns. As in to smart for their own darn good. They are notorous for being hudeini dogs and escape for funnsies and then they do what their breed for, they run. And run, and run.

Malamutes tend to be a bit dumber and more mellow, and to have som sembalence of dignity (sibes have no dignity ;) ). Not to the point where they are boring, but more managable then the sibe. They need a stronger hand and, like I said, can be a bit aggressive if not handled well, but a good dog, with a good owner is wonderful.

We have a female, Juno, that boards. Her owners think she is a sibe. She's not. Anyway, cute as a button, playful, loves her buddie (husky cross named katie) and very cuddly when she wants. Also, clean and well behaved. Her biggest fault is nobody took the time to really teach her to walk on a lead.

both breeds tend to be happy wih other dogs, love kids (play time!) But can be death to cats.

If the size and shape confuses you, one method to tell sibes and malamutes appart is malamutes do not, should not, never, ever, have blue eyes.

I love siberians. I grew up with two. If you can take the fact that they will make a fool out of you on a regular basis, go for it. Nothing more fun then a sibe. Also nthing more exsaperating, hairraising or wildly rotten! anyone tells you diffrent, then they've never been around one.
I have a friend that had a Siberian husky and his was constantly trying to get out of the house during the day. Jumped out 2 closed windows, ate through a wall only to be stopped by the exterior brick, and chewed a door knob down to the size of a golf ball. I don't think his training was the best IMO. The only thing I think he mastered was not to jump and come. He eventually got a lab as a playmate and that worked fairly well.
The AKC site lists the Malamute as up to 85 lbs. I don't think I have ever seen one that small.
Border Collies are out. Great dogs will play fetch till it drops or you do. But they tend to be in there own world.
I'm leaning away from terriers, not my cup of tea.

The GF in the past had a Rhodesian Ridgeback and a Newfoundland, so they are already on her approved list. But the Newfoundland i just to big.
I needed a mod to change my signature because the concept of "family friendly" eludes me.
A few months-mods

never_retreat

• Head Muckety Muck
  • friend
« Reply #41 on: February 22, 2011, 06:24:00 PM »
Out side of a few working lines of the various shepherd breeds no dogs are bred to have an "instinct" to hurt humans. Some of the terriers are snappy, some of the herders are nippy, and a lot of breeds from a lot of groups are territorial. But this "bred to kill" foolishness is about on par with how EBR's are designed to shoot up schools.  ;/ If your dog mauls your kid, 99.9% of the time it's the owner's fault not some mysterious "killer instinct."
The guy I know with the Akita got charged by a pit bull looking dog. The Akita grabbed it from the air and killed it. So I know they are very protective, the bigger problem is the non liking of other dogs and animals.
I have known 1 German Shepard that killed a bugler and another one that kills dear for fun.
And a rottie that did a number on another robber.
So any dog can kill something.
I always say our current dog is plotting my demise by the constant taste testing.  =D
A few months-mods

roo_ster

• Kakistocracy--It's What's For Dinner.
  • friend
  • Hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats
« Reply #42 on: February 22, 2011, 06:46:55 PM »
Newfoundlands are challenging dogs and need a strong and steady hand, ime.
Regards,

roo_ster

“Fallacies do not cease to be fallacies because they become fashions.”
----G.K. Chesterton

Pharmacology

• friends
« Reply #43 on: February 22, 2011, 07:24:54 PM »
I'd always thought a certain breed of Mastiff was bred for use in war?

Harold Tuttle

• Professor Chromedome
  • friend
« Reply #44 on: February 22, 2011, 07:26:47 PM »
i would recommend one of these:

but theres only one, & she's my gal.

Karma is a rescue from a Kill shelter in Tennessee where she was found
and transfered to Charlottesville VA, we found her on www.petfinder.com,
where she was listed as an Australian Terrier. She's ~30 pounds of bounding energy.

Balog

• friends
  • What if we tried more?
« Reply #45 on: February 22, 2011, 07:48:17 PM »
I'd always thought a certain breed of Mastiff was bred for use in war?

All mastiff-esque dogs were are descended from the molosser. But that was 2000 or so years ago, so not overly relevant.

drewtam

• friend
« Reply #46 on: February 22, 2011, 08:06:56 PM »
Boxer might fit the bill.

Medium size.

The coat is short and smooth. The shedding is very light.

Ours is extremely gentle and tolerant of children.

He has a nice deep bark that is reserved only for strangers. When I or wife get home he never barks. But when a stranger pulls up, he can tell the difference in the sound of car and lets a few roars rip. He doesn't go crazy with barking. Otherwise he is very friendly and playful.

Obedience is average aptitude and takes typical training.

Intelligence is above average.

« Last Edit: February 22, 2011, 08:14:15 PM by drewtam »
I’m not saying I invented the turtleneck. But I was the first person to realize its potential as a tactical garment. The tactical turtleneck! The… tactleneck!

castle key

• friend
« Reply #47 on: February 22, 2011, 08:16:07 PM »
The ultimate breed of dog is the Palermo Beach Collie.

If you have never heard of it, ask Mike Irwin. He owned one. Mike owned the only Palermo Beach Collie.

That said, I really enjoy such discussions about one of my favorite things, DOGS!!!!!

Whatever dog is finally decided upon, take good care of it, love it lots, have the kids make it a major part of their lives, and the reward will be exponential.

Oh yeah, I like Leonbergers!!
Vigilate hoc, tenendum per ebrietatem.

BlueStarLizzard

• Queen of the Cislords
  • friend
« Reply #48 on: February 22, 2011, 08:27:41 PM »

Not true. Black Russian Terriers were created by the USSR as the ultimate police dog. They have no other working purpose then to attack people. They were commenly used to guard soviet consentration camps.

Balog

• friends
  • What if we tried more?
« Reply #49 on: February 22, 2011, 09:17:26 PM »
Outside of a few working shepherd and one terrier lines... :P