Author Topic: Harbor Freight Tools  (Read 12392 times)

cassandra and sara's daddy

• friends
Re: Harbor Freight Tools
« Reply #25 on: February 27, 2011, 01:04:20 PM »
And when I turn it off, I always set it to the highest AC Range. < Hint, there.

lol  i know what you mean there    :facepalm:
It is much more powerful to seek Truth for one's self.  Seeing and hearing that others seem to have found it can be a motivation.  With me, I was drawn because of much error and bad judgment on my part. Confronting one's own errors and bad judgment is a very life altering situation.  Confronting the errors and bad judgment of others is usually hypocrisy.

by someone older and wiser than I

Grandpa Shooter

• friend
« Reply #26 on: February 27, 2011, 05:27:23 PM »
I have two of their blue 900 watt generators.  It will run any of my electric hand tools, or the batteries for my battery op tools.  It will also power my motor home, the travel trailer on the remote property, or the 5th wheel in Montana.  If we have an outage at home I just turn off the main and plug a double ended cord into the generator and one of the house outlets.  Works fine, just remember to turn of your main before plugging into a house circuit.

go_bang

« Reply #27 on: February 27, 2011, 07:12:01 PM »
Anyone ever get their folding cargo trailers?

mtnbkr

• friend
« Reply #28 on: February 27, 2011, 07:50:20 PM »
Maybe some examples work better than others. Tell you what - try the aluminum foil test at a couple of places in the tank - center, sides, edges, corners - and let us know if the machine "passes."

And what exactly is a pass for fail with this test?

Chris

230RN

• saw it coming.
  • friend
  • ...shall not be allowed.
« Reply #29 on: February 27, 2011, 08:21:19 PM »
If we have an outage at home I just turn off the main and plug a double ended cord into the generator and one of the house outlets.

AKA: "Suicide Cord."  Just remember the male prongs are hot.  Like a mother saying to a small boy using a knife, "Don't cut yourself," I felt it necessary to say that.

(Bill Cosby's reply to that was "Aw, gee, Mom.  I was just going to cut myself.  Now you spoiled all my fun!")

Mom, 230RN

ETA
This is obviously a risky operation, and I would presume that anyone attempting it knows what s/he's doing.  In most homes, it only powers up 1/2 the house.
« Last Edit: February 27, 2011, 08:29:07 PM by 230RN »
WHATEVER YOUR DEFINITION OF "INFRINGE " IS, YOU SHOULDN'T BE DOING IT.

Grandpa Shooter

• friend
« Reply #30 on: February 27, 2011, 08:29:06 PM »
I have only done it three or four times in the past and it only powered up the circuit I chose to plug into.  I plug the cord into the circuit I want to energize and then plug it into the generator.  It will keep the lights on or run the blower for the propane heater.

AKA: "Suicide Cord."  Just remember the male prongs are hot.  Like a mother saying to a small boy using a knife, "Don't cut yourself," I felt it necessary to say that.

(Bill Cosby's reply to that was "Aw, gee, Mom.  I was just going to cut myself.  Now you spoiled all my fun!")

Mom, 230RN

ETA in most homes,that only powers up 1/2 the house... that is, only one side of the 220V split.

AJ Dual

• friends
  • Shoe Ballistics Inc.
« Reply #31 on: February 27, 2011, 10:43:06 PM »
Most everything has been said above, the cost/benefit ratio, cheaper than renting some tools and if it works for two jobs, it's gravy.

And some tools and supplies are so simple, even the Chinese trying to scam their distributors, can't mess them up.  :laugh:

Although I won't buy my radioactives there anymore.
I promise not to duck.

Nick1911

• Administrator
« Reply #32 on: February 27, 2011, 10:53:18 PM »
Although I won't buy my radioactives there anymore.

Yours too, huh?

Damn thing was mostly Pb-207 by the time it got here.  :mad:

=D :laugh:

AJ Dual

• friends
  • Shoe Ballistics Inc.
« Reply #33 on: February 27, 2011, 11:03:24 PM »
Yah, or the Polonium you bought turning out to be a bunch of Americium from smoke detectors...
I promise not to duck.

zahc

• friend
« Reply #34 on: February 28, 2011, 12:13:57 AM »
They have a coupon for a $19.99 reciprocating saw (sawzall) in the latest Rifleman. I've been keeping my eye out for a good reciprocating saw at garage sales and so on but I'm thinking, for $19.99, how can you really go wrong? Unless it's like, absolutely worthless or dangerous.
Maybe a rare occurence, but then you only have to get murdered once to ruin your whole day.
--Tallpine

Hawkmoon

• friend
« Reply #35 on: February 28, 2011, 01:39:20 AM »
I have only done it three or four times in the past and it only powered up the circuit I chose to plug into.  I plug the cord into the circuit I want to energize and then plug it into the generator.  It will keep the lights on or run the blower for the propane heater.

If the only breaker you opened was the main disconnect, it powered half the circuits in the house. There's no way it can power only one (unless your house only has two).
- - - - - - - - - - - - -
100% Politically Incorrect by Design

brimic

• friends
« Reply #36 on: February 28, 2011, 08:22:28 AM »
Best deal I got at HF was for a Motorcycle jack, $89 or so. Very happy with it.
"now you see that evil will always triumph, because good is dumb" -Dark Helmet

"AK47's belong in the hands of soldiers mexican drug cartels"-
Barack Obama

HankB

• friend
« Reply #37 on: February 28, 2011, 08:25:12 AM »
And what exactly is a pass for fail with this test?

Chris
If you're testing an ultrasonic cleaner, you suspend a piece of ordinary household aluminum foil in the water. After anywhere from 10 to 30 seconds, when you pull out the foil and hold it up to the light, you should see pinholes in the foil - that's an indication that the cleaner is working. No pinholes, no ultrasonic cleaning action.

A good cleaner will "pass" this test just about anywhere in the tank. Underpowered or single-transducer cleaners generally have very localized effects, and won't pass it anywhere except in the immediate vicinity of the transducer.

http://www.soniclean.com.au/ulc/foiltest.html

http://www.ehow.com/how_7271340_test-ultrasonic-jewelry-cleaner.html

http://www.coleparmer.com/techinfo/techinfo.asp?htmlfile=ultrasoniccleaner_faq.htm&ID=792#anchor13   (this link says ten MINUTES - which I think is incorrect)
Trump won in 2016. Democrats haven't been so offended since Republicans came along and freed their slaves.
Sometimes I wonder if the world is being run by smart people who are putting us on, or by imbeciles who really mean it. - Mark Twain
Government is a broker in pillage, and every election is a sort of advance auction in stolen goods. - H.L. Mencken
Patriotism is supporting your country all the time, and your government when it deserves it. - Mark Twain

mtnbkr

• friend
« Reply #38 on: February 28, 2011, 09:56:20 AM »
If you're testing an ultrasonic cleaner, you suspend a piece of ordinary household aluminum foil in the water. After anywhere from 10 to 30 seconds, when you pull out the foil and hold it up to the light, you should see pinholes in the foil - that's an indication that the cleaner is working. No pinholes, no ultrasonic cleaning action.

A good cleaner will "pass" this test just about anywhere in the tank. Underpowered or single-transducer cleaners generally have very localized effects, and won't pass it anywhere except in the immediate vicinity of the transducer.

http://www.soniclean.com.au/ulc/foiltest.html

http://www.ehow.com/how_7271340_test-ultrasonic-jewelry-cleaner.html

http://www.coleparmer.com/techinfo/techinfo.asp?htmlfile=ultrasoniccleaner_faq.htm&ID=792#anchor13   (this link says ten MINUTES - which I think is incorrect)

I've never owned or used an US cleaner.

That's very good to know, thanks!

Chris

Grandpa Shooter

• friend
« Reply #39 on: February 28, 2011, 10:23:34 AM »
If the only breaker you opened was the main disconnect, it powered half the circuits in the house. There's no way it can power only one (unless your house only has two).

You are correct.  You throw the main to prevent a problem if the power comes back on unexpectedly and all the others EXCEPT the one you are plugging into.  I am amazed at how many people feel the need to correct what I do, or refer to.  Despite what it might seem, I am not incompetent. 

230RN

• saw it coming.
  • friend
  • ...shall not be allowed.
« Reply #40 on: February 28, 2011, 11:05:35 AM »
You are correct.  You throw the main to prevent a problem if the power comes back on unexpectedly and all the others EXCEPT the one you are plugging into.  I am amazed at how many people feel the need to correct what I do, or refer to.  Despite what it might seem, I am not incompetent.

Don't feel resentful about that.  It's sort of like the safety boiler plate lawyers have to write for all products.  You buy a 6" crescent wrench nowadays, you'll find a "do not eat" notice on it.

I only mentioned it as an afterthought, like I said, like a Mom telling her kid, "Don't cut yourself."

I will often add things to my posts that are not directed specifically for any previous poster, but for the world-wide audience we {supposedly) have.

Mom, 230RN
WHATEVER YOUR DEFINITION OF "INFRINGE " IS, YOU SHOULDN'T BE DOING IT.

Perd Hapley

• Superstar of the Internet
  • friend
  • My prepositions are on/in
« Reply #41 on: February 28, 2011, 01:10:30 PM »
Don't feel resentful about that.  It's sort of like the safety boiler plate lawyers have to write for all products.  You buy a 6" crescent wrench nowadays, you'll find a "do not eat" notice on it.

You can't eat them?
"Doggies are angel babies!" -- my wife

GigaBuist

• friends
    • http://www.justinbuist.org/blog/
« Reply #42 on: February 28, 2011, 01:22:52 PM »
Well, after seeing this thread I had to try the place out.  Turns out there's one not too far from here.

1 Wire stripper
2 digital multi-meters
7 rolls of electrical tape
150pcs misc electrical connectors

$24.  Not bad.

roo_ster

• Kakistocracy--It's What's For Dinner.
  • friend
  • Hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats
« Reply #43 on: February 28, 2011, 01:34:54 PM »
You can't eat them?

Well, you can eat the dogleg wrenches.  Most of HF's tools are from China, you know....   :angel:
Regards,

roo_ster

“Fallacies do not cease to be fallacies because they become fashions.”
----G.K. Chesterton

erictank

• friends
« Reply #44 on: February 28, 2011, 05:26:39 PM »
You can't eat them?

Me, I'd say, "If you *CAN* eat it, then go ahead.  But you'd better be right, and I'm not paying for the dental work if you're wrong."

But that's just me...

Balog

• Unrepentant race traitor
  • friends
  • What if we tried more?
« Reply #45 on: February 28, 2011, 05:38:01 PM »
I really do want a small US cleaner, although more for fountain pens than gun parts. About all I ever use my meter for at home is checking if a circuit is dead, and if it has continuity. Had no idea HF sold them so cheap, I've always just used the Flukes.
Quote from: French G.
I was always pleasant, friendly and within arm's reach of a gun.

Quote from: Standing Wolf
If government is the answer, it must have been a really, really, really stupid question.

French G.

• friend
  • ohhh sparkles!
« Reply #46 on: February 28, 2011, 05:50:56 PM »
Well, after seeing this thread I had to try the place out.  Turns out there's one not too far from here.

1 Wire stripper
2 digital multi-meters
7 rolls of electrical tape
150pcs misc electrical connectors

$24.  Not bad.

You found the one chinamart item I cannot abide by. Tape. Electrical tape in particular had better be made by 3M.
AKA Navy Joe   

I'm so contrarian that I didn't respond to the thread.

sanglant

• friend
« Reply #47 on: March 01, 2011, 12:26:07 PM »
You can't eat them?
you can, they're just a little hard to pass. [tinfoil]

:laugh:

RevDisk

• friend
    • RevDisk.net
« Reply #48 on: March 01, 2011, 12:32:16 PM »

I have a Harbor Freight approximately 400m away from my place.  If there wasn't busy four lane street in the way, I could easily walk there.  I generally buy cheap consumables, mold injection plastic or cheap semi-disposable tools from them.  Nothing that requires accuracy or reliability. 

They did have a large stack of "Pocket Ref" books, which is excellent.  They'd make great gifts this holiday season. 
"Rev, your picture is in my King James Bible, where Paul talks about "inventors of evil."  Yes, I know you'll take that as a compliment."  - Fistful, possibly highest compliment I've ever received.

Hamilton Felix

• Part Time Good Guy
  • Do what's Right, not just what's easy.
« Reply #49 on: March 01, 2011, 07:09:29 PM »
Yesterday, Kathleen stopped at Harbor Freight to get a silver tarp we needed.  Believe it or not, she found something made in U.S.A.!  OK, it was some cream for "working hands," but it was American and she likes it.

If I was a contractor, I'd buy a good cement mixer.  But for occasional use, the Harbor Freight mixer works OK. 

I use a fair bit of the simpler stuff, even some sockets.  Don't really trust their wrenches very far.  But if it's at home where you have others...   

To carry in a truck, and maybe make the difference between driving or walking 20 miles home, I want GOOD tools, not soft Chinese tools.  But most of us can't afford Snap-On unless we find a deal in a second hand store. 

No, their battery drill will not equal a Milwaukee or even a Ryobi.  But it's cheap enough to be a gift for a kid.  Of course one of the boys has already  knocked his off the kitchen counter and the battery case broke. 

You get what you pay for, seldom more.
Well, in the first place an armed society is a polite society. Manners are good when one may have to back up his acts with his life.  For me, politeness is a sine qua non of civilization. - R. A. Heinlein, Claude Mordan to Hamilton Felix, in Beyond This Horizon