Author Topic: According to some, I'm now the chief communist...  (Read 5115 times)

Jamisjockey

• Booze-fueled paragon of pointless cruelty and wanton sadism
  • friend
  • Your mom sends me care packages
According to some, I'm now the chief communist...
« Reply #25 on: March 28, 2006, 07:40:35 AM »
Quote from: Mike Irwin
"HOA's are communist organizations"

Spoken truly as someone who has no concept about how HOAs are organized or run.

So sorry, try again.

And, if you're planning on moving to Northern Virginia, good luck in avoiding HOAs.
Its more of a nasty comment just for the sake of being nasty.  In reality, HOA's are more of a republic.   Officals are appointed/voted in, and then they pass and enforce rules in a representitive fashion.  Does that come a little closer'?
I don't like people having bushes growing onto the sidewalk, and 1978 Camaros on blocks leaking oil onto the driveway one bit.  I do, however, believe in private property rights.  But alas, if the HOA is there and one moves in...tough dookie.....
JD

The price of a lottery ticket seems to be the maximum most folks are willing to risk toward the dream of becoming a one-percenter. “Robert Hollis”

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
« Reply #26 on: March 28, 2006, 07:53:07 AM »
Laws governing HOAs differ wildly from state to state.

In Virginia, the HOA structure most closely resembles a representative republic form of government. The powers accorded to HOAs in many ways closely match those accorded to other forms of government in the Commonwealth.

The biggest challenge facing many HOAs is not an out-of-control board ruling the community as its own personal feifdom, it's getting enough people actually interested in participating in the community to the point where it can function at a practical and a legal level.

That's what has faced my HOA for years. We had a core group of people who did everything. We did have a bookkeeper who took some of the financial pressure off, but running even a small community without employees or major infrastructure was time consuming and extremely frustrating.

Getting enough people to attend the annual meetings was a challenge. That's one day a year. Getting people to volunteer to be on the architectural review, grounds, contracts, and other committees? You'd have more success doing brain surgery on yourself.

The one thing that people could do, would do, did do, and in fact loved to do?

BITCH.

At the top of their lungs, bitch about what a horrible job the board was doing. OK, Mr. XXX, you have some pretty strong opinions on what the board is and isn't doing, how about standing for election or serving on one of the committees?

"WHAT??? I DON'T HAVE TIME FOR THAT! I'M A BUSY MAN!"

Last year's annual meeting was a perfect example. The board was ambushed by several owners who decided that they didn't like the pine trees growing behind their properties, and had been demanding that the board remove healthy pine trees that have been there for decades, which quickly devolved into a general screed about the amount of money the board was allocating on trees and grounds in general. It was extremely ugly.

Several of the biggest whiners were essentially forced to sign up to form a grounds committee that would survey and make recommendations to the board about the grounds. The board gave them a very clear mandate of what it was to do. The chair of the committee was hugely gung-ho, and promised a report to the HOA board by August.

At that point, the committee collapsed. The biggest whiners didn't go to committee meetings, the chair apparently alienated other members. August came and went. We told the chair that in order to allocate money to address major concerns posed by the grounds committee we would have to have the report by December 1, which put a serious crimp in the Board's budget process.

We finally, in FEBRUARY, got a largely unintelligible, 4-page report that met NONE of the mandate that the board had give them at the annual meeting.

It's a good thing that the report was such a complete and total flop, because the board had approved the 2006 budget months before, and there was no way to go back and reallocate funds.

At the annual meeting last month? The people who were most vocal about the trees and the horrible job that the board was doing? Think they could be bothered to come? *expletive deleted*it no.

To anyone who thinks that HOAs are nothing more than communistic organization incarnate, I submit this to you...

The bad HOAs, the ones you hear about, the MINORITY of HOAs that garner the majority of the attention (sounds like bad stories about guns, right?), the ones that are abusive of their power?

They generally all have something very, very important in common...

The board of directors didn't seize power and declare itself to be the ruling junta.

The indolence, ignorance, laziness, and disinterest of the HOA members ALLOWED those boards to turn bad.
Carbon Monoxide, sucking the life out of idiots, 'tards, and fools since man tamed fire.

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
« Reply #27 on: March 28, 2006, 07:56:21 AM »
OK, looks like we were counter posting, Jamis.

I do have to wonder about this statement, though...

"I do, however, believe in private property rights."

What makes you think that you don't have rights of private property in an HOA?

If you are, however, talking about having the "right" to have a car up on blocks on your property, what makes you think that you actually do have that right at the expense of the rights of your neighbors to live in a community free of such eyesores, and their rights to be free of encumberances to the value of their property?
Carbon Monoxide, sucking the life out of idiots, 'tards, and fools since man tamed fire.

Harold Tuttle

• Professor Chromedome
  • friend
« Reply #28 on: March 28, 2006, 08:12:52 AM »
Do you have a stainless steel clip board and a GPS walkie talkie system so you can make proper inspections?

Make sure there is no outdoor drying of laundry in your dominion.
That which is quaint in Lancaster for the Amish, is an abomination before the Board in WDC.

Molon Lawnball!
"The true mad scientist does not make public appearances! He does not wear the "Hello, my name is.." badge!
He strikes from below like a viper or on high like a penny dropped from the tallest building around!
He only has one purpose--Do bad things to good people! Mit science! What good is science if no one gets hurt?!"

mtnbkr

• friend
« Reply #29 on: March 28, 2006, 08:20:01 AM »
Quote from: JamisJockey
Hijack!
Hey mtnbkr:
Aren't you in Manassas?  
coupla q's for ya:
Firstly, what zips are good to live in there?  Any areas to stay away from?
From afar it looks like the market is tanking out there.  What's the reality on the ground?

Also, not directly related to your area, per se.....
If one were to buy some land within about 3 hours or so....recreational hunting/fishing/cabin type land....what areas would one look at?  Just morbid curiousity.
Yes.

Dunno.  One, I don't keep track of that sort of thing and two, it's hard to classify by zip because until you get into the higher end housing market, middle class neighborhoods (at least the townhomes, but sometimes the single family units) are interspersed with low-income housing.  My own neighborhood is a good example.  While my neighborhood is solidly middleclass in makeup and mentality, just 100yds up the road from me is Georgetown South, a true "hood" if there ever was one.  For a family, I'd check out Fairfax Co (not Alexandria though), Loudoun Co (especially South Riding, Leesburg and Ashburn), and to a lesser extent Prince William Co (more for the lower cost of housing than any measure of quality).

I don't  know if the market is tanking or not.  It's slowing down, but prices haven't started to decline yet.  You're still looking at a minimum of $350k for a decent townhome and $500k for a house.  Those are Prince William/Manassas prices.  Add $100k for Loudoun Co and probably more for Fairfax.  Condos and Co-Ops are less expensive, but if you hate HOAs, you'll hate Condos/Co-Ops even more.

Land for hunting/fishing?  Check out the Shenandoah Valley.  Especially if you can find a parcel near the National Forest.  About 7 years ago, I saw a 100acre parcel within spitting distance of the George Washington NF go for around $90k.  That was less than 1.5hrs from my current home.  3hrs from NoVa puts you into Wv as well.  A friend bought a place in Wardensville (other side of mtn from the parcel I mentioned above) with pool, DSL availability, 5 acres bording the NF, etc for about $250k, IIRC.  Some of the NoVa "fringe" counties are pretty rural still.  You might get the land for hunting/fishing AND a home for less than the cost of buying both separately.  Faquier County and Stafford County are examples.  Move quick though because that too is changing.  The Yuppies are discovering country living and are building McMansions and Country Clubs in those places.  They ruined Haymarket a few years ago (no HOAs when my friend moved there, but that changed before he left).  I hear Nokesville is becoming gentry-fried as well.

Chris

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
« Reply #30 on: March 28, 2006, 08:24:47 AM »
"Do you have a stainless steel clip board and a GPS walkie talkie system so you can make proper inspections?"

No. I drive around in a tank shelling the hell out of peons who dare question my authority.

RevDisk

• friend
    • RevDisk.net
« Reply #31 on: March 28, 2006, 08:48:22 AM »
Quote from: Harold Tuttle
Do you have a stainless steel clip board and a GPS walkie talkie system so you can make proper inspections?

Make sure there is no outdoor drying of laundry in your dominion.
That which is quaint in Lancaster for the Amish, is an abomination before the Board in WDC.

Molon Lawnball!
Hey, I happen to live in Lancaster.  We have enough problems with marauding Amish drug rings.   And I'd like to see a dyer invented yet that can properly dry out quilts or other heavy cloth without doing damage.   Plus the electric bill ain't exactly cheap, even with the megawatts put out by Three Mile Island.

No. I drive around in a tank shelling the hell out of peons who dare question my authority.
The Glorious Leader is indeed merciful, as well as wise and victorious.
"Rev, your picture is in my King James Bible, where Paul talks about "inventors of evil."  Yes, I know you'll take that as a compliment."  - Fistful, possibly highest compliment I've ever received.

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
« Reply #32 on: March 28, 2006, 08:56:22 AM »
I inherited a Chaffee light tank from the previous Glorious Leader, but my god, that puny little 75mm main gun is powerful weak!

If it's not a 120mm smoothbore, it ain't crap!

Why is this suddenly sounding like the 9mm-45 auto wars?

The only problem with drying laundry in my back yard is that I have overhanging trees and birds with good aim.

Gewehr98

• friend
  • Yee-haa!
    • Neural Misfires (Blog)
« Reply #33 on: March 28, 2006, 09:48:33 AM »
Which reminds me...

Was there ever a resolution concerning the HOA in Jupiter, Florida that took a lein out on the former Marine (George Andres) who wouldn't take his non-HOA approved flagpole and flag down?  I remember Jeb Bush promising to foot the bill for his legal defense, but things went quiet after that.
"Bother", said Pooh, as he chambered another round...

http://neuralmisfires.blogspot.com

"Never squat with your spurs on!"

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
« Reply #34 on: March 28, 2006, 09:59:10 AM »
Beats the hell out of me.

That was in Jupiter, Florida...

grampster

• friend
« Reply #35 on: March 28, 2006, 11:44:54 AM »
Pfffaaaghh.  Johnny come lately, Irwin.  I have not only been President of my HOA, but also Chairman of the Board since 1993.  Before you make one more move you need to pay obligato to me, your Elder Better.  My people will be paying you a visit this very evening.  Do as they say, Oh foolish braggadacious one.
"Never wrestle with a pig.  You get dirty, and besides, the pig likes it."  G.B. Shaw

Brad Johnson

• friend
  • Witty, charming, handsome, and completely insane.
« Reply #36 on: March 28, 2006, 01:08:40 PM »
Respect my authorita!

Brad
It's all about the pancakes, people.
"And he thought cops wouldn't chase... a STOLEN DONUT TRUCK???? That would be like Willie Nelson ignoring a pickup full of weed."
-HankB

Justin

• friend
« Reply #37 on: March 28, 2006, 01:12:54 PM »
No one, under any circumstances, EFFS with my Japanese Maple.
This needs to be a line in a movie.  Preferably uttered by Christopher Walken or Gary Busey.
Your secretary is not a graphic designer, and Microsoft Word is not adequate for print design.

SADShooter

• friend
« Reply #38 on: March 28, 2006, 01:18:41 PM »
Justin, I'm picturing Steven Seagal in flip flops, Bermuda's, and a wifebeater standing on his suburban front lawn...
"Ah, is there any wine so sweet and intoxicating as the tears of a hippie?"-Tamara, View From the Porch

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
« Reply #39 on: March 28, 2006, 03:30:57 PM »
Thanks for sending your minions around, Grampster.

I needed a set of heads for bookends, and those two will do nicely. Only problem is it's getting DAMNED expensive to get heads shrunk. I don't care what they say about illegal immigrants, there just ain't enough Yanomani shamen to go around anymore!

grampster

• friend
« Reply #40 on: March 28, 2006, 05:11:54 PM »
That's just the first wave.  They are expendable.
Quick, look behind you!
"Never wrestle with a pig.  You get dirty, and besides, the pig likes it."  G.B. Shaw

Iain

• friend
« Reply #41 on: March 29, 2006, 12:45:20 AM »
The indolence, ignorance, laziness, and disinterest of the HOA members ALLOWED those boards to turn bad.
We get the government we deserve.

Perhaps the other members deserve Mr Irwin like I deserve Mr Blair.
I do not like, when with me play, and I think that you also

tyme

• expat
  • friend
  • Did you know that dolphins are just gay sharks?
    • TFL Library
« Reply #42 on: March 29, 2006, 02:56:57 PM »
We get the government we deserve only if the corresponding electorate is small and compact enough.  State, federal, and even metropolitan governments are uncontrollable behemoths.  They represent too many conflicting interests, which compete for regulations that should be beneath the powers of so high a level of government.
Support Range Voting.
End Software Patents

"Four people are dead.  There isn't time to talk to the police."  --Sherlock (BBC)

Iain

• friend
« Reply #43 on: March 29, 2006, 10:37:44 PM »
I was teasing. Had been about to make a joke about getting the government we deserve until I realised that my Britishness would be thrown right back at me so decided to get there first.

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
« Reply #44 on: March 30, 2006, 05:14:19 AM »
Actually, a session of Parliament looks a LOT like the BS that went on at our last two annual meetings...

Lots of people talking very loud and very fast and very heatedly and not a lot getting done.

Iain

• friend
« Reply #45 on: March 30, 2006, 05:42:16 AM »
I saw enough of that at JCR and Union Society meetings at university. Used to argue with a housemate of mine a lot about it, he was a dedicated member of the Steering Committee. I was disillusioned by the childishness and political careerists, but that is my problem. I respect those that get involved with committees and these sorts of things for the best intentions and manage to hold on to those intentions.

bermbuster

• friend
« Reply #46 on: March 30, 2006, 05:47:04 AM »
Actually, a session of Parliament looks a LOT like the BS that went on at our last two annual meetings...

Lots of people talking very loud and very fast and very heatedly and not a lot getting done.
Every annual meeting I have ever attended was like that.

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
« Reply #47 on: March 30, 2006, 05:55:45 AM »
First the first 8 years I was on the board they weren't like that at all.

2 years ago the gloves came off in a big way, and it was unfortunately precipitated by the wife of a board member (who couldn't be there due to illness). She came loaded for bear because she doesn't like the large pine trees that are on community property behind her house and has been demanding for years that we take them down with association money. Isn't going to happen. Those trees were there when she bought the house. The only way we remove trees is if they are either an imminent hazard or if they are diseased.

Once she got started, the other people at the meeting smelled blood in the water and it got ugly fast. That's why the grounds committee was set up in the first place.

roo_ster

• Kakistocracy--It's What's For Dinner.
  • friend
  • Hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats
« Reply #48 on: March 31, 2006, 06:24:15 PM »
Not all HOA's are equal.

Not all are compulsory.

Our HOA is voluntary and costs us $10/year.

Money well spent.
Regards,

roo_ster

“Fallacies do not cease to be fallacies because they become fashions.”
----G.K. Chesterton