Author Topic: MicroBalrog goes to Ammunition Hill  (Read 6575 times)

MicroBalrog

• friend
MicroBalrog goes to Ammunition Hill
« on: March 01, 2011, 06:42:16 AM »
The Battle for Ammunition Hill

The battle for Ammunition Hill is one of those incidents in military history that commenced, continued,  and ended with a series of mistakes that only through the mettle of the average fighting man had ended up a victory rather than a disaster. Before I go into any detail about what occurred, we must first understand what Ammunition Hill was.

Jerusalem – not unlike Ancient Rome – is build on a series of tall hills – or short mountains, depending on who you ask. Control of such mountains is crucial for warfare in the city. Thus, starting 1948 with Israel's independence, Jordan began fortifying its part of Jerusalem. Among other things, the ammunition storage from the old British police academy had been turned into a fortress.

At the beginning of the Six-Day War, Israel did not expect Jordan to join in the fighting – and indeed, Jordan probably did not expect to join in. Before the war, a great effort was undertaken by Israeli intelligence to avoid Jordan's participation – but during the war, Egyptian commanders informed the Jordanians that they were making great headway against the Israelis, and that the Jordanians should join if they wanted a part of the spoils.

The Jordanians believed it and joined the wa, forcing Israel to expand it's offensive to them as well- which meant that the Center District Command, which had not expected to have to fight and that had transferred many of its troops to other commands, needed to capture East Jerusalem – and in particular, Ammunition Hill.

For this task, a paratroopers company had been chosen. The Israelis had first intended to utilize these troops in paradrop attacks beyond  Egyptian lines – but the rate of advance there had been so fast, the Egyptians routed so rapidly, that this force was not needed there. The paratroopers were deployed instead to attack Ammunition Hill – a task for which they had been woefully unprepared. The officers had little knowledge of the target except for the cursory introduction to Jerusalem-area fortifications. They had been given maps and photographs of the area, but had less than a day to study them – Jordan had joined the war early morning, June 5th. The attack was to occur at midnight that same day.

This what they had to deal with – a fortified hill 797 meters toll, ringed with a system of trenches and firing positions. To add insult to injury, there was no air support whatever. And worse yet – the attack was delayed by three hours, beginning at 02:30, June 6th, with mortars and artillery raking the hilltop with fire.

The effect was less than salutary. Jordanian troops in the police academy building, alarmed by the cannonade, ran towards the bunkers in the fort, tripling the amount of men manning it. The Israeli force had now been facing a defending unit not a third their own size – as first hoped – but nearly equal to them in numbers.

Breaching the barbed wire fence at several points, the Israeli soldiers began to enter the fort from several directions, leaping down or entering the Jordanian trenches – and discovering several new and exciting things.

The Jordanian trenches proved to be permanent structures, with their walls lined with stone. Of irregular depth – sometimes waist deep, sometimes deeper than a man stands. Worse yet – it was narrow.  When I took the photos you see here, I sometimes struggled to get through the narrower spots -  and I am a person a fairly regular size and was not wearing full military kit. The paratroopers were also armed with FN FAL rifles, which made getting around the trenches even more difficult.

The police academy had been abandoned during the shelling and quickly taken, and so was the trenches adjacent to the fort (they are not in existence today). The Israelis had believed – since they ecounterest almost no resisteace so far – that the rest would be easy.  Most of the forces had been withdrawn, and only a single company – Company C, commanded by Oded Yaakobi -was tasked to the fight itself. He divided his company into three platoons, and prepared to attack the hill from three directions. And then everything went horribly, horribly wrong.

Ammunition Hill looks like this today. The trees weren't there in 1967.

Yaakob intended to send a platoon under Lieutenant Itzhaki into the Eastern trench [not preserved to this day, sadly], a platoon under LT Eliashiv into the Western trench, and a third force, commanded personally, into the central trench.

But in the darkness, with artillery fire roaring, mortar bombs exploding around them, men lost their bearings in the narrow trenches. Elyashiv entered the central trench, Yaakobi entered the eastern trench while Itzhaki followed Eliashiv down the central trench. The Western trench remained untouched. A detachment even wondered out of the trenches...

And ended up here.

That place had been known as the Triangle of Fire.  It has been the killzone of several bunkers like this one:

Every man in the detachment was killed. But the officers did not hear that over the roar of Jordanian 120mm mortars and rifle fire and continued to advance through the center trench, even reporting successes on the radio – causing their superior officers to withdraw all reserves to another mission.

Another bunker.

And then everything changed. The Company commander and his men started taking incredible amounts of Jordanian fire. Every dozen meters or so was a bunker, and Jordanian soldiers who had abandoned the police academy were standing on top of the trenches, firing down at the advancing Israeli troops and throwing grenades. One of the lieutenants had been killed assaulting a recoilless rifle position, and the company commander's own platoon was reduced to only 8 troops. Company reserves were drawn in  -and through heavy losses, IDF men captured the Jordanian command bunker.

One of the Jordanian barracks buildings. Roof is a new thing..

By this time – as a consequence of starting the attack late – the sun had risen, and the IDF men could be clearly seen by the Jordanians.

Casualties were too heavy. First tanks were brought in – but their turrets could not depress deep enough to strike the bunkers. More infantry were brought in, and they eventually cleared the bunkers, using machinegun fire to suppress any un-entrenched troops from acting and throwing hand-grenades into the bunkers. One was especially tough – effectively, a double-bunker, a concrete box inside a concrete box. It was resolved by bringing in a 16-kilo charge and placing it on top. By the end of the day, once the IDF figured out what was going on, they resolved the situation quickly – with only 31 dead to 72 dead Jordanians.

So why is this interesting? Take a look at these pictures.

A recoilless rifle, on the background of the Jerusalem mountains.

One of the few surviving Eastern Trench bunkers.

A view of the trench system.

What seems like a machinegun position. The polished slab of rock would serve like a desk for the machinegunner to place his gun and spare barrels.

And finally, the coup de grace – a firing slit overlooking the Triangle of Fire.

Look at my picture from the beginning, this one You can see the Triangle of Fire in the foreground, but can you see the firing positions that would be shooting at it? I found four when I was walking in the trenches. Do you think you could spot them  from that spot, in the dark, at two past midnight, when fired at, with mortar shells dropping everywhere?  Most likely not. And there were literally dozens upon dozens of these bunkers, concentrated on a small hilltop – literally a firing point every dozen meters or so in some parts of it.

Now, I think there are many lessons to be learned from this, but I will leave them to my readers to hash out.
Destroy The Enemy in Hand-to-Hand Combat.

"...tradition and custom becomes intertwined and are a strong coercion which directs the society upon fixed lines, and strangles liberty. " ~ William Graham Sumner

GigaBuist

• friends
    • http://www.justinbuist.org/blog/
Re: MicroBalrog goes to Ammunition Hill
« Reply #1 on: March 01, 2011, 10:56:52 AM »
Now, I think there are many lessons to be learned from this, but I will leave them to my readers to hash out.

Lesson 1:  Do not *expletive deleted* with Israel.

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #2 on: March 01, 2011, 10:59:49 AM »
Very interesting! Thanks for posting.
"I'm a foolish old man that has been drawn into a wild goose chase by a harpy in trousers and a nincompoop."

kgbsquirrel

• APS Photoshop God
  • friend
  • Bill, slayer of threads.
« Reply #3 on: March 01, 2011, 11:03:44 AM »
Many thanks for the history lesson and pictures, MB.

roo_ster

• Kakistocracy--It's What's For Dinner.
  • friend
  • Hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats
« Reply #4 on: March 01, 2011, 11:08:08 AM »
Thanks for the write-up.

My unit did a lot of trench clearing training when I was in.  It is a true mike foxtrot of a problem.  I never thought of masonry-lined trenches, though.  

Best bet is to hit 'em hard with shake & bake from 120mm mortars & arty and then start a-clearing, with plenty of M72 LAWs & frags at hand.
Regards,

roo_ster

“Fallacies do not cease to be fallacies because they become fashions.”
----G.K. Chesterton

RevDisk

• friend
    • RevDisk.net
« Reply #5 on: March 01, 2011, 12:26:02 PM »

Very pretty.  Thank you for the photos.  Just curious, but any particular reason the trenches were so narrow?
"Rev, your picture is in my King James Bible, where Paul talks about "inventors of evil."  Yes, I know you'll take that as a compliment."  - Fistful, possibly highest compliment I've ever received.

MicroBalrog

• friend
« Reply #6 on: March 01, 2011, 02:05:08 PM »
Very pretty.  Thank you for the photos.  Just curious, but any particular reason the trenches were so narrow?

I have conferred with a person who is well-informed on this issue. It appears that British doctrine, which influenced Jordanians very heavily at that time, states that narrow defensive fortifications have the advantage of limiting attackers' mobility - which is what occurred in this case.

"...tradition and custom becomes intertwined and are a strong coercion which directs the society upon fixed lines, and strangles liberty. " ~ William Graham Sumner

HankB

• friend
« Reply #7 on: March 01, 2011, 02:58:48 PM »
Sounds like one heck of a fight - glad I wasn't there. Wonder if the Israeli officers who screwed up were suitably . . . rewarded.

I've a question about that Jordanian barracks building - the one with the new roof.  It looks a little, well, meager as far as ventilation is concerned. Are there more windows on the other side, or was the old roof raised to let air in?
Trump won in 2016. Democrats haven't been so offended since Republicans came along and freed their slaves.
Sometimes I wonder if the world is being run by smart people who are putting us on, or by imbeciles who really mean it. - Mark Twain
Government is a broker in pillage, and every election is a sort of advance auction in stolen goods. - H.L. Mencken
Patriotism is supporting your country all the time, and your government when it deserves it. - Mark Twain

MicroBalrog

• friend
« Reply #8 on: March 01, 2011, 03:12:30 PM »
I saw a row of narrow vent holes along each wall when I was inside the building, I assume they were sealed during repair or something.

There are no windows, the entire thing is just a box. The new roof is semi-transparent to allow visitors to see inside the building, but sections that are not exposed to light from that are completely pitch-black.

The commander of the Paratrooper brigade had been promoted repeatedly afterwards.

makattak

• Dark Lord of the Cis
  • friend
« Reply #9 on: March 01, 2011, 03:21:35 PM »
The commander of the Paratrooper brigade had been promoted repeatedly afterwards.

The one who personally led the attack? I've got no problem with that as he did as well as could be expected given (1) poor intelligence, (2) insufficient planning, and (3) delayed engagement, all of which, from your account seem to have been out of his control.

Yes, he lost a lot of men. The engagmenet still ended with a victory and a double the casualties on the other side.
I wish the Ring had never come to me. I wish none of this had happened.

So do all who live to see such times. But that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given to us. There are other forces at work in this world, Frodo, besides the will of evil. Bilbo was meant to find the Ring. In which case, you also were meant to have it. And that is an encouraging thought

MicroBalrog

• friend
« Reply #10 on: March 01, 2011, 03:26:00 PM »
No, not the Company commander. The Brigade Commander.

There are claims by historians - albeit controversial - that Brigade Commander Mordechai Gur had never left his headquarters during this action. To be fair he participated in other, crucial, events.

OTOH, I do not know who is in the right. Gur seems pretty illustrious: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mordechai_Gur

makattak

• Dark Lord of the Cis
  • friend
« Reply #11 on: March 01, 2011, 03:30:31 PM »
No, not the Company commander. The Brigade Commander.

Ah, I misunderstood. I thought just surviving that should have been enough for serious recognition.
I wish the Ring had never come to me. I wish none of this had happened.

So do all who live to see such times. But that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given to us. There are other forces at work in this world, Frodo, besides the will of evil. Bilbo was meant to find the Ring. In which case, you also were meant to have it. And that is an encouraging thought

tokugawa

• friend
« Reply #12 on: March 01, 2011, 03:32:08 PM »
Tactical nuke and poison gas.  Is there a problem? =D

280plus

• friend
  • Ever get that sinking feeling?
« Reply #13 on: March 01, 2011, 05:28:32 PM »
Nice job, very interesting.
Avoid cliches like the plague!

vaskidmark

• National Anthem Snob
  • friends
  • WTF?
« Reply #14 on: March 01, 2011, 05:31:44 PM »
I have conferred with a person who is well-informed on this issue. It appears that British doctrine, which influenced Jordanians very heavily at that time, states that narrow defensive fortifications have the advantage of limiting attackers' mobility - which is what occurred in this case.

Strange you should say that.

The Hitler Channel just had a program on the WWI trench warfare systems.  They compared the German trenches where Adolph went scurrying as a runner to the Brit trenches opposite.  The Brit trenches were all V-shaped and had poor bracing, compared to the German trenches which had nice wickerwork linings or even reinforced concrete.

Might it be that the MoD actually learned something from a previous war? ???

stay safe.
If cowardly and dishonorable men sometimes shoot unarmed men with army pistols or guns, the evil must be prevented by the penitentiary and gallows, and not by a general deprivation of a constitutional privilege.

Hey you kids!! Get off my lawn!!!

They keep making this eternal vigilance thing harder and harder.  Protecting the 2nd amendment is like playing PACMAN - there's no pause button so you can go to the bathroom.

Stand_watie

• friend
« Reply #15 on: March 01, 2011, 07:46:44 PM »
I'm not a publisher, but I'd sure like to see someone as talented in photojournalism as you backed by a publisher. Couple of minor marketing ideas with wildly varying themes:

a. Military: Everything military history seems to have a market in the American gunnie culture.
b. Israel/Mideast tourism (secular)
c. Israel/Mideast tourism (Christian) -and no I'm not asking you to convert, but a stunning coffetable book of (for example) locations of the travels of Paul of Tarsus might be the sort of thing to sell well.

B and C might go hand in hand. I think a lot of mid-east goverments are friendly to Christian tourist dollars/euros.
Yizkor. Lo Od Pa'am

"You can have my gun when you pry it from my cold dead fingers"

"Never again"

"Malone Labe"

roo_ster

• Kakistocracy--It's What's For Dinner.
  • friend
  • Hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats
« Reply #16 on: March 01, 2011, 11:11:32 PM »
I'm not a publisher, but I'd sure like to see someone as talented in photojournalism as you backed by a publisher. Couple of minor marketing ideas with wildly varying themes:

a. Military: Everything military history seems to have a market in the American gunnie culture.
b. Israel/Mideast tourism (secular)
c. Israel/Mideast tourism (Christian) -and no I'm not asking you to convert, but a stunning coffetable book of (for example) locations of the travels of Paul of Tarsus might be the sort of thing to sell well.

B and C might go hand in hand. I think a lot of mid-east goverments are friendly to Christian tourist dollars/euros.

A pictographic and map history of ME battlefields would be an awesome coffee table book.  If you could include quality topographic maps with military symbology, in addition to the period maps, that would be sweet.  Almost as good as a book on a martial art that revolves around an e-tool.
Regards,

roo_ster

“Fallacies do not cease to be fallacies because they become fashions.”
----G.K. Chesterton

Hawkmoon

• friend
« Reply #17 on: March 01, 2011, 11:18:14 PM »
Some of the bunker photos conjure up recollections of the German bunkers I saw at Point du Hoc in Normandy when I visited for the 50th anniversary of D-Day.
- - - - - - - - - - - - -
100% Politically Incorrect by Design

MicroBalrog

• friend
« Reply #18 on: March 02, 2011, 12:25:22 AM »
I'm not a publisher, but I'd sure like to see someone as talented in photojournalism as you backed by a publisher.

I am not talented in photojournalism at all.

I just have an elderly digital camera with auto-focus. I point it at stuff and mash the button. Then I throw out 75-80% of the photos I make.

MicroBalrog

• friend
« Reply #19 on: March 02, 2011, 12:26:37 AM »
If you want to pose as a photographer online, the simplest way is to just mash the camera's button as many times as possible - given you're not going to run out of film - and then discard everything you don't like.

280plus

• friend
  • Ever get that sinking feeling?
« Reply #20 on: March 02, 2011, 05:35:07 AM »
Some of the bunker photos conjure up recollections of the German bunkers I saw at Point du Hoc in Normandy when I visited for the 50th anniversary of D-Day.
Did you happen to meet Joe Drodwill there? . Tall guy. Probably had on a Stetson.  Guaranteed you noticed him at some point. We used to call him "Tex". He climbed the cliffs and was there on the 50th as well. He lived in Middletown, CT. He told me some stories. "And when we got to the top of the cliffs and looked for the guns, THEY WEREN'T THERE!"

He also said he saw a guy there at the 50th that he thought he'd watched get killed. "50 years I thought he was dead but there he was."
Avoid cliches like the plague!

RevDisk

• friend
    • RevDisk.net
« Reply #21 on: March 02, 2011, 09:34:10 AM »
If you want to pose as a photographer online, the simplest way is to just mash the camera's button as many times as possible - given you're not going to run out of film - and then discard everything you don't like.

This is exactly what I do.    =D
"Rev, your picture is in my King James Bible, where Paul talks about "inventors of evil."  Yes, I know you'll take that as a compliment."  - Fistful, possibly highest compliment I've ever received.