Author Topic: TSA Knows It Isn't Needed  (Read 1603 times)

AZRedhawk44

• friends
TSA Knows It Isn't Needed
« on: March 02, 2011, 02:39:32 PM »
http://www.nypost.com/p/news/local/queens/tsa_staff_jet_blew_it_Y7NcXScFd0oS2HNvkypthP

Man gets on international flight from JFK to the Dominican Republic.

Has 3 boxcutters in his carry-on.  Slips past TSA-tards. 

Flight attendant sees the zOMGboxcutters!!1eleventyone!1! when she asks him to stow the bag in an overhead compartment.  Chaos, panic, sheepishness ensues.  Plane disembarked. 

Bomb-sniffing dogs, heavy-handed fed response on the guy.  Turns out he was using them at work in a warehouse he was at and simply forgot they were there.

The money-quote from TSA:

Quote from: TSA Spokeswoman Ann Davis
The TSA spokeswoman Davis insisted that the traveling public was not at risk.

"There have been a number of additional security layers that have been implemented on aircraft that would prevent someone from causing harm with boxcutters," she insisted.

"They include the possible presence of armed federal air marshals, hardened cockpit doors, flight crews trained in self-defense and a more vigilant traveling public who have demonstrated a willingness to intervene."

If boxcutters aren't a problem or a threat, then why was this a problem that required disembarking of the craft and bomb-sniffing dogs?

The real solution, quoted again for effect:

"They include the possible presence of armed federal air marshals, hardened cockpit doors, flight crews trained in self-defense and a more vigilant traveling public who have demonstrated a willingness to intervene."

Notice that TSA security-theater procedures on the ground are conspicuously absent?
"But whether the Constitution really be one thing, or another, this much is certain - that it has either authorized such a government as we have had, or has been powerless to prevent it. In either case, it is unfit to exist."
--Lysander Spooner

I reject your authoritah!

MechAg94

• friend
Re: TSA Knows It Isn't Needed
« Reply #1 on: March 02, 2011, 03:29:23 PM »
The TSA guy forgot to mention that there is no way the passengers would allow someone with box cutters to take over the plane either.  I agree that half the stuff they ban is unnecessary.
“It is much more important to kill bad bills than to pass good ones.”  ― Calvin Coolidge

230RN

• saw it coming.
  • friend
  • ...shall not be allowed.
« Reply #2 on: March 03, 2011, 08:02:28 PM »
Issue baseball bats to every man, woman and child who is boarding.  Collect them again at the end of the flight.

There.

That orta do it.

Ayup.
WHATEVER YOUR DEFINITION OF "INFRINGE " IS, YOU SHOULDN'T BE DOING IT.

Gowen

• Metal smith
  • friend
    • Gemoriah.com
« Reply #3 on: March 03, 2011, 08:35:43 PM »
Issue baseball bats to every man, woman and child who is boarding.  Collect them again at the end of the flight.

There.

That orta do it.

Ayup.

Does anyone else remember the All in the Family episode when Archie advocated passing out handguns on every flight?  Classic! 
"That's my hat, I'm the leader!" Napoleon the Bloodhound

Gemoriah.com

230RN

• saw it coming.
  • friend
  • ...shall not be allowed.
« Reply #4 on: March 03, 2011, 09:17:00 PM »
[ar15]  "All in the Family:"  [barf]

No, that idea about baseball bats came from a guy in Brooklyn with a strong Brooklyn accent who used to do you-tubes with his outspoken (and very vulgar) opinions on everything. 

Every other word consisted of emphatic references to the reproductive acts of mammals or to one or another Deity's sake --which, if you're familiar with Brooklynites, is part of normal and acceptable polite dinner speech.

The clip is probably unrecoverable now. 

The episode where he advocated baseball bats was hilarious, and was borne of the fact that at one of the NY baseball games, they gave out baseball bats to everyone attending --"Bat Day," I think they called it.

His "take" on it was they were inspecting backpacks and siezing innocuous things like nail clippers, but letting them into the stands with all these baseball bats.

"Lettin' * fifty *-t'ousand * baseball bats inna * stadium, and the * dumb *s are * takin' * nail * clippers, fer * *'s sake!" was the way he put it.

Then he went into that idea about bats on airplanes, extolling the advantages if some * pulled out a * box cutter to * take over the * plane, in an extremely funny you-tube "essay," and in that very heavy Brooklyn accent.

Most decidedly NSFW, but a real gut-busting hilarious rant.

I just swiped his idea.

I figured I'm entitled, since I'm "fum Bvooklyn" myself.

Terry, 230RN

(From is pronounced "fum" in Bvooklyn, just as Brooklyn is pronounced "Bvooklyn" in Brooklyn.
« Last Edit: March 03, 2011, 09:52:54 PM by 230RN »
WHATEVER YOUR DEFINITION OF "INFRINGE " IS, YOU SHOULDN'T BE DOING IT.