Author Topic: The things that really hit home...  (Read 834 times)

Brad Johnson

• friend
  • Witty, charming, handsome, and completely insane.
The things that really hit home...
« on: March 07, 2011, 11:37:10 AM »
Jeez, just found out that my small home town has been devastated by a wreck that claimed one teens life and sent three to the hospital.  Crowell has less than 1000 so saying "I know all of them" doesn't even come close.  You don't just "know" someone in Crowell, they're a very direct part of your daily life.  Every one of them were kids of some of my very closest high school friends.  My parents and brother still live there.

They were just being dumb kids, trying to manufacture stuff to do on a quiet Saturday evening in the country.  Jumping high spots on a dirt road when they lost control.

http://www.timesrecordnews.com/news/2011/mar/06/foard-county-wreck-kills-1-injures-3/

Brad
« Last Edit: March 07, 2011, 11:47:30 AM by Brad Johnson »
It's all about the pancakes, people.
"And he thought cops wouldn't chase... a STOLEN DONUT TRUCK???? That would be like Willie Nelson ignoring a pickup full of weed."
-HankB

Jamisjockey

• Booze-fueled paragon of pointless cruelty and wanton sadism
  • friend
  • Your mom sends me care packages
Re: The things that really hit home...
« Reply #1 on: March 07, 2011, 11:46:46 AM »
Sheer luck that most of us survived our teen years.  Sorry about your loss.
JD

The price of a lottery ticket seems to be the maximum most folks are willing to risk toward the dream of becoming a one-percenter. “Robert Hollis”

230RN

• saw it coming.
  • friend
  • ...shall not be allowed.
« Reply #2 on: March 07, 2011, 01:55:23 PM »
^
Sheer luck that most of us survived our teen years.

And you couldn't call it smart luck, so it must have been dumb luck.

What a tragedy. I feel for all those who've been affected, and may the person killed rest in peace.
WHATEVER YOUR DEFINITION OF "INFRINGE " IS, YOU SHOULDN'T BE DOING IT.

Lee

• friend
« Reply #3 on: March 07, 2011, 09:14:55 PM »
That's a shame....sorry to hear that.  My twins start driving this year, and I started worrying about it last year. I know what I was like.

Stand_watie

• friend
« Reply #4 on: March 07, 2011, 10:32:01 PM »
    I'm sorry. I hope you'll constructively use it as a learning experience for your own young/loved ones.
    I've a sixteen yr old stepson in driver's ed and a 15 yr old daughter. Yup, hits home. Lost 3 friends in three separate accidents within 6 months of each other when I was 18/19. Stupid kid stuff. Exactly. Two dead children in my neighbors yard just a couple years ago doing exactly the same thing (trying to get airborne and lost control, hit tree).
    The auto is probably the single likeliest lethal fatality that american kids face, and no malice or even particularly bad behavior required to have tragedy ensue. Show me a kid who will make the showing-off driver stop, get out and call parents for a ride home - and I'll show you a kid I'd be proud of.

P.S. My wife works for the Sheriff (dispatch) guess who's kids are going to (by parental invitation) be held to a higher standard by county deputies?
« Last Edit: March 07, 2011, 10:40:22 PM by Stand_watie »
Yizkor. Lo Od Pa'am

"You can have my gun when you pry it from my cold dead fingers"

"Never again"

"Malone Labe"

Nick1911

• Administrator
« Reply #5 on: March 07, 2011, 10:39:43 PM »
Sorry to hear that man.  =|

TommyGunn

• friend
  • Stuck in full auto since birth.
« Reply #6 on: March 07, 2011, 11:31:37 PM »
My sympathies as well.
Lost my 22 year old nephew in a auto wreck in December, '07.  He was a good kid.  That kind of thing stays with you forever; thankfully my sister & BIL remain active and are handling it as well as can be expected.
We all give blood once a year in memory of my nephew.
MOLON LABE   "Through ignorance of what is good and what is bad, the life of men is greatly perplexed." ~~ Cicero

Balog

• Unrepentant race traitor
  • friends
  • What if we tried more?
« Reply #7 on: March 07, 2011, 11:39:26 PM »
I'm really sorry to hear that. My idiot brothers used to do that in a clapped out old pickup, with 5-6 people (sometimes holding loaded guns) in the bed.  :facepalm:
Quote from: French G.
I was always pleasant, friendly and within arm's reach of a gun.

Quote from: Standing Wolf
If government is the answer, it must have been a really, really, really stupid question.

grislyatoms

• friends
« Reply #8 on: March 08, 2011, 12:32:45 PM »
Sheer luck that most of us survived our teen years.  Sorry about your loss.

No doubt there.
Kid I delivered newspapers with (he had half the neighborhood, I had the other half) was killed riding with a drunk teen.
Three other teens from my high school were killed. One skateboarded into traffic on Dec. 23. Imagine his parent's Christmas...

The two others drove drunk, as I understand it. Dead.

I'm just happy I have all my limbs, as I fooled around with flammable things and things that go "BOOM" constantly.

Sorry for your loss, and your community's loss, Brad. I can feel that.
« Last Edit: March 08, 2011, 12:45:50 PM by grislyatoms »
"A son of the sea, am I" Gordon Lightfoot