Author Topic: Traveling to spain  (Read 4329 times)

never_retreat

• Head Muckety Muck
  • friend
Traveling to spain
« on: March 07, 2011, 08:02:38 PM »
So were headed to Spain this Saturday. Going to Madrid,  Barcelona, and Malaga. With a day trip to Morocco.
This is a fairly organized trip with a lot of scheduled Tours. Is there anything in particular I should seek out and try to squeeze in?
Besides meat on a stick of course.
I needed a mod to change my signature because the concept of "family friendly" eludes me.
Just noticed that a mod changed my signature. How long ago was that?
A few months-mods

French G.

• friend
  • ohhh sparkles!
Re: Traveling to spain
« Reply #1 on: March 07, 2011, 09:09:43 PM »
Never been to those parts of Spain. Never had a bad time in Spain either. For me in those cities I'd want to see the Moorish old city and the Gaudi architecture. From a general travel point I always go to eat as much different stuff as I can. If you have time on the tours get a little bit(sometimes one street will do) away from the "tourist" area and sit down and eat in a little quieter spot. Ought to be a great trip, enjoy yourself, try not to start any revolutions whilst you're in Morocco. Going to Gilbraltrar? I had a chance to go, didn't have a passport so couldn't.  :mad:
AKA Navy Joe   

I'm so contrarian that I didn't respond to the thread.

Hawkmoon

• friend
« Reply #2 on: March 07, 2011, 10:08:56 PM »
So were headed to Spain this Saturday. Going to Madrid,  Barcelona, and Malaga. With a day trip to Morocco.
This is a fairly organized trip with a lot of scheduled Tours. Is there anything in particular I should seek out and try to squeeze in?
Besides meat on a stick of course.

In all seriousness, I would skip the day trip to Morocco.
- - - - - - - - - - - - -
100% Politically Incorrect by Design

never_retreat

• Head Muckety Muck
  • friend
« Reply #3 on: March 07, 2011, 10:31:56 PM »
I looked at the state department website, did see much worse than parts of NJ.
Were are only there for a few hours, out before night fall. I believe it is all guided also.
I was leaning towards not going originally, but I figured I would never set foot onto the continent so at least I can say been there done that.
I needed a mod to change my signature because the concept of "family friendly" eludes me.
A few months-mods

BobR

• Just a pup compared to a few old dogs here!
  • friend
« Reply #4 on: March 08, 2011, 02:18:37 AM »
Find a nice out of the way bar with a flamenco guitarist playing, get a pitcher of Sangria and enjoy the evening. Some of those flamenco guitarists are unbelievably good.

bob

Hawkmoon

• friend
« Reply #5 on: March 08, 2011, 08:05:35 AM »
I looked at the state department website, did see much worse than parts of NJ.
Were are only there for a few hours, out before night fall. I believe it is all guided also.
I was leaning towards not going originally, but I figured I would never set foot onto the continent so at least I can say been there done that.

Your call.

http://www.guardian.co.uk/world/2011/feb/18/morocco-demonstrations-test-regime

http://www.rightsmonitoring.org/2011/02/protests-in-the-arab-world-morocco-will-be-the-next/

http://www.fco.gov.uk/en/news/latest-news/?view=News&id=534804682

Maybe things have calmed down, but IMHO the entire Muslim/Arab world is teetering on the brink and I don't think any westerner should be there for the foreseeable future -- unless you are going as part of a large contingent of armed personnel who all wear the same cloths with funny shapes painted on the shirts.

HankB

• friend
« Reply #6 on: March 08, 2011, 10:16:53 AM »
I'd be inclined to avoid politically unstable places with a high potential for violence.

Instead of Morocco, I'd look into a day trip to tour the Alhambra. (If they have tours.)

Do they still have bullfights in Spain? I'd take in one of those if I could. (I might end up cheering for the bull . . . )
« Last Edit: March 08, 2011, 12:30:51 PM by HankB »
Trump won in 2016. Democrats haven't been so offended since Republicans came along and freed their slaves.
Sometimes I wonder if the world is being run by smart people who are putting us on, or by imbeciles who really mean it. - Mark Twain
Government is a broker in pillage, and every election is a sort of advance auction in stolen goods. - H.L. Mencken
Patriotism is supporting your country all the time, and your government when it deserves it. - Mark Twain

41magsnub

• friend
  • Don't make me assume my ultimate form!
« Reply #7 on: March 08, 2011, 10:41:02 AM »
I'd stay out of Morocco.  A good friend of mine is on a student visa from Morocco studying at the university of Montana.  His dad is a senior intelligence official in Morocco and he is worried.  He sent most of his family to France last week.

never_retreat

• Head Muckety Muck
  • friend
« Reply #8 on: March 08, 2011, 11:41:47 AM »
I'd be inclined to avoid politically unstable places with a high potential for violence.

Instead of Morocco, I'd look into a day trip to tour the Alhambra. (If they have tours.)
I don't think that will be possible, its in the middle between Madrid and Malanga. So it would be about 3 hours of driving it looks like.
We are flying between If not its a 7-8 hour drive.
A few months-mods

never_retreat

• Head Muckety Muck
  • friend
« Reply #9 on: March 08, 2011, 11:43:31 AM »
I'd stay out of Morocco.  A good friend of mine is on a student visa from Morocco studying at the university of Montana.  His dad is a senior intelligence official in Morocco and he is worried.  He sent most of his family to France last week.
I'll have to talk to the other people we know on the trip. Thats not a good sign when people that live are leaving.
There used to dealing with it.
A few months-mods

Hawkmoon

• friend
« Reply #10 on: March 08, 2011, 01:15:40 PM »
I would approach the tour company to ask them to rearrange the itinerary. There must be SOMETHING of interest within Spain you can do to replace a detour through (potentially) hostile territory. If not, just bail out. Refuse to go to Morocco. How does the tour get you across the water to Morocco? Boat? Just stay on the dock and tell 'em you'll be waiting when they get back to Spain.
« Last Edit: March 08, 2011, 01:19:18 PM by Hawkmoon »

Perd Hapley

• Superstar of the Internet
  • friend
  • My prepositions are on/in
« Reply #11 on: March 08, 2011, 09:20:34 PM »
Be sure to flan ahead.
"Doggies are angel babies!" -- my wife

never_retreat

• Head Muckety Muck
  • friend
« Reply #12 on: March 08, 2011, 09:29:24 PM »
A few months-mods

Pharmacology

• friends
« Reply #13 on: March 08, 2011, 10:18:11 PM »
Barcelona:
Be sure to visit the Dali museum in Barcelona and make it to the Citadel park.
The fountain there is something really special.

Gothic quarter is a must.

In all honesty, I'd avoid La Rambla.

Unless you like getting lost, and a romantic walk with your significant other, I would probably avoid Tibidabo (on the mountain.)
The funicular that goes from the marina to the top of montjuic isn't worth the wait.

Oh, oh!!!
If you're looking for romantic, the gardens behind the National Palace at Montjuic are not to be missed!!!

Be prepared to see a whole lot of boobs and possibly naked men at the regular, public beaches in barcelona.
« Last Edit: March 08, 2011, 10:39:23 PM by Pharmacology »

sanglant

• friend
« Reply #14 on: March 08, 2011, 11:47:11 PM »
???
it's hard to eat straight out of the box.

:laugh: :lol: :laugh: God help me, i'm dieing.

sanglant

• friend
« Reply #15 on: March 09, 2011, 12:10:34 AM »
and what i meant to post, before my stroke.

http://www.jamon.com/products/j-jm-07.html

cost, shouldn't be to bad for a meal. have to be less than buying/shipping a whole ham.

Pharmacology

• friends
« Reply #16 on: March 09, 2011, 12:35:56 PM »
and what i meant to post, before my stroke.
http://www.jamon.com/products/j-jm-07.html
cost, shouldn't be to bad for a meal. have to be less than buying/shipping a whole ham.

jeez!

I remember a similar jamon I saw in Moscow that was selling for around 45,000 roubles

KD5NRH

• friends
  • I'm too sexy for you people.
« Reply #17 on: March 09, 2011, 12:48:38 PM »
I would approach the tour company to ask them to rearrange the itinerary. There must be SOMETHING of interest within Spain you can do to replace a detour through (potentially) hostile territory.

Could you just spend the day in Gibraltar instead?  There should be plenty to do on and around the Rock.

Perd Hapley

• Superstar of the Internet
  • friend
  • My prepositions are on/in
« Reply #18 on: March 09, 2011, 12:54:28 PM »
I'd look into a day trip to tour the Alhambra. (If they have tours.)

Absolutely.
"Doggies are angel babies!" -- my wife

InfidelSerf

• friend
« Reply #19 on: March 09, 2011, 07:27:58 PM »
I second the skipping of Morocco, your just asking for trouble there.
However I highly recommend replacing that with a trip to Segovia.
The cathedral there is impressive as well as Alcazar de segovia (the castle that inspired the Walt Disney world one)
Not to mention the 2000+ year old roman aqua ducts.
WELL worth the 30 min trip straight north of Madrid.

Running of the bulls typically takes place around the 4th of July up in Pamplona.  So you wouldn't be able to catch the true running of the bulls.

You are going to have a fantastic time though.  I spent 3 weeks there the summer of '93.
I'd love to go back.
The hour is fast approaching,on which the Honor&Success of this army,and the safety of our bleeding Country depend.Remember~Soldiers,that you are Freemen,fighting for the blessings of Liberty-that slavery will be your portion,and that of your posterity,if you do not acquit yourselves like men.GW8/76

Hawkmoon

• friend
« Reply #20 on: March 09, 2011, 08:20:42 PM »
The cathedral there is impressive as well as Alcazar de segovia (the castle that inspired the Walt Disney world one)

I thought Tinker Belle's castle was a copy of Nauschwanstein (sp?) in Bavaria. No?

never_retreat

• Head Muckety Muck
  • friend
« Reply #21 on: March 09, 2011, 11:18:45 PM »
Is that the black foot pig ham? Or something named something like that?
By brother insisted my parents bring some back a year or so ago when they were there. It was not that great. I had better stuff from the Italian deli.
A few months-mods

sanglant

• friend
« Reply #22 on: March 09, 2011, 11:21:09 PM »
apparently there are different grades. and the good stuff is feed mostly acorns, but what do i know.

never_retreat

• Head Muckety Muck
  • friend
« Reply #23 on: March 20, 2011, 06:48:44 PM »
Well made it back, nice place. I ended up doing to day to Morocco. We were on a but most of the time we were there with our guide we had all week and 2 English/Arabic speaking guides. I just used the theory that you don't have to run fast, just faster than someone else if need be.
I will post some pictures once I get them downloaded and sorted. Took about 12 gigs worth, 2500 ish. Might take a few days to sort out. Fortunately I took of tomorrow also.
A few months-mods

RoadKingLarry

• friends
« Reply #24 on: March 20, 2011, 11:41:02 PM »

2nd that and suggest a visit to Gibralter instead.
If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or your arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that you were our countrymen.

Samuel Adams