Author Topic: Painting a truck hood  (Read 6263 times)

zahc

• friend
Painting a truck hood
« on: March 11, 2011, 11:26:15 PM »
My white Tahoe has the paint peeling off the hood. Looks terrible, with a big black patch and clearcoat of the rest all peeling with dust under it. I figure I can sand the whole hood down and repaint it in a weekend, but I don't know what kind of paint to use. Do I have to use special automotive paint and a spray gun, or can I buy suitable paint in a spray can? What about clearcoat and wax? If it's possible to repaint a hood it should be possible for me to repaint the whole truck, a quarter at a time. Should I just forget about it unless I have a real body shop do it, or is it possible to get decent results?
Maybe a rare occurence, but then you only have to get murdered once to ruin your whole day.
--Tallpine

zxcvbob

• friend
Re: Painting a truck hood
« Reply #1 on: March 11, 2011, 11:41:08 PM »
When I saw the title I thought you were wanting to know whether to use a brush or a roller.  >:D
"It's good, though..."

Gowen

• Metal smith
  • friend
    • Gemoriah.com
« Reply #2 on: March 11, 2011, 11:46:39 PM »
One thing to remember, nobody steals or robs from an ugly truck.  I've got a 1997 Dodge Dakota truck, the paint used in 1997 sucked.  It's all cracked and peeling and nobody wants to look at it twice, but it runs like a champ.
"That's my hat, I'm the leader!" Napoleon the Bloodhound

Gemoriah.com

Harold Tuttle

• Professor Chromedome
  • friend
« Reply #3 on: March 12, 2011, 12:34:01 AM »
you will never match the factory paint job, so don't try

i would do it up in a complementary color, or flat black with the Batman symbol
"The true mad scientist does not make public appearances! He does not wear the "Hello, my name is.." badge!
He strikes from below like a viper or on high like a penny dropped from the tallest building around!
He only has one purpose--Do bad things to good people! Mit science! What good is science if no one gets hurt?!"

Monkeyleg

• friend
  • Tattaglia is a pimp.
    • http://www.gunshopfinder.com
« Reply #4 on: March 12, 2011, 12:41:02 AM »
I'd say do one of two things: if you don't care about how the paint job looks, do it with a spray can. Sand as much as possible to remove the peeling paint and layers underneath. Wash it well, then clean it with a wax and oil remover made for painting cars. This will assure that your paint job will last.

If you care about how the hood looks, pay to have it done. Unless you have access to a spray booth, or have a detached garage you can use as a spray booth, even your best effort at painting will wind up with dust and bugs embedded in the paint.

Shooting paint in a garage is going to leave you with paint overspray all over the place. If you have an attached garage, the house is going to get the paint overspray, as well as the odor.

230RN

• saw it coming.
  • friend
  • ...shall not be allowed.
« Reply #5 on: March 12, 2011, 02:28:50 AM »
i would do it up in a complementary color, or flat black with the Batman symbol

Tell you the truth, with almost every vehicle I owned, I wished the hood was flat black.  Oh, and the dashboard under the windshield, too.  Especially around the equinoxes when the sun is right there every AM and PM.

Most of our roads around here are due north-south and due east-west.

Terry, 230RN
WHATEVER YOUR DEFINITION OF "INFRINGE " IS, YOU SHOULDN'T BE DOING IT.

Tallpine

• friends
  • Grumpy Old Grandpa
« Reply #6 on: March 12, 2011, 08:09:33 PM »
When I saw the title I thought you were wanting to know whether to use a brush or a roller.  >:D

I'd go with the roller, myself  ;)

Paint it black and add a fake air scoop  :lol:
Freedom is a heavy load, a great and strange burden for the spirit to undertake. It is not easy. It is not a gift given, but a choice made, and the choice may be a hard one. The road goes upward toward the light; but the laden traveller may never reach the end of it.  - Ursula Le Guin

sanglant

• friend
« Reply #7 on: March 12, 2011, 08:51:14 PM »
cover it with carbon fiber print vinyl. >:D or what ever color you want, holds up much better then paint anyway. =)

Scout26

• I'm a leaf on the wind.
  • friend
  • I spent a week in that town one night....
« Reply #8 on: March 13, 2011, 01:43:03 AM »
I'd go with a tasteful pastel in Latex.  Use a roller so you don't have those annoying lines.  And paint it under the shade of a tree.

=D
Some days even my lucky rocketship underpants won't help.

Bring me my Broadsword and a clear understanding.
Get up to the roundhouse on the cliff-top standing.
Take women and children and bed them down.
Bless with a hard heart those that stand with me.
Bless the women and children who firm our hands.
Put our backs to the north wind.
Hold fast by the river.
Sweet memories to drive us on,
for the motherland.

Harold Tuttle

• Professor Chromedome
  • friend
« Reply #9 on: March 13, 2011, 12:14:27 PM »
i wonder what a graphic shrink vinyl job would cost?
"The true mad scientist does not make public appearances! He does not wear the "Hello, my name is.." badge!
He strikes from below like a viper or on high like a penny dropped from the tallest building around!
He only has one purpose--Do bad things to good people! Mit science! What good is science if no one gets hurt?!"

Harold Tuttle

• Professor Chromedome
  • friend

sanglant

• friend
« Reply #11 on: March 13, 2011, 09:00:47 PM »
or you can stretch it around the curves, use a heat gun for sharper curves. =)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kLsmPbPyE00
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4jhB0dlST_0