Author Topic: Shhhh!! Don't tell anyone  (Read 2010 times)

Scout26

• I'm a leaf on the wind.
  • friend
  • I spent a week in that town one night....
Shhhh!! Don't tell anyone
« on: March 13, 2011, 11:02:34 PM »
but Illinois just might get CCW/LTC before Wisconsin does.  HB 148 is wending its way through the legislature and the downstate Dems are pressing Madigan, Cullerton and Quinn to give them this, in light of their vote to increase the state income tax.  The word is they're demanding to "bring back some red meat" to their districts.  Some northern Dems have signed on as well since they see the court cases* that are working their way through the courts may force Constitutional Carry down their throats.

* In meetings we explained to them that the USSC has ruled the 2A a "Fundamental Right" and those cases only dealt with the "keep" part of "Keep and Bear Arms".  Wanna guess what they'll say about the "bear" part when 48 states have some form of LTC/CCW including 40 that are shall-issue or Constitutional Carry?

« Last Edit: March 14, 2011, 05:01:57 AM by scout26 »
Some days even my lucky rocketship underpants won't help.

Bring me my Broadsword and a clear understanding.
Get up to the roundhouse on the cliff-top standing.
Take women and children and bed them down.
Bless with a hard heart those that stand with me.
Bless the women and children who firm our hands.
Put our backs to the north wind.
Hold fast by the river.
Sweet memories to drive us on,
for the motherland.

RevDisk

• friend
    • RevDisk.net
Re: Shhhh!! Don't tell anyone
« Reply #1 on: March 13, 2011, 11:15:28 PM »
Heh, Wisconsin would NEVER live that down.  Good luck!  Beat 'em cheeseheads!
"Rev, your picture is in my King James Bible, where Paul talks about "inventors of evil."  Yes, I know you'll take that as a compliment."  - Fistful, possibly highest compliment I've ever received.

AJ Dual

• friends
  • Shoe Ballistics Inc.
« Reply #2 on: March 13, 2011, 11:23:31 PM »
I'd be happy to see IL beat us to shall-issue CCW if that's what it takes for them to get it, since the word is here it's pretty much a done deal once the union and budget fracas runs itself out.

However, I can't actually see the Chicago Machine actually allowing it. So I'd fully expect the bill to be pigeon-holed somewhere along the way, or have some high profile defections (like WI did under Doyle).

Or there'll be some horrid patchwork enforcement such as not valid in Chicago/Cook county etc. Where you arguably need it the most. Or Chicago not respecting/honoring the permits, and the rest of the state/legislature not having the stones to fight it.
I promise not to duck.

Scout26

• friend
« Reply #3 on: March 13, 2011, 11:40:58 PM »
Nope, HB148 has preemption, and is shall-issue.  It has some things that'll give the anti's something to crow about (a 3 strikes provision for illegal firearms use: mandatory 10 yrs for 1st time, 20yrs for second and life for 3rd time)  Has a training (both classroom and live fire) requirement.  It currently has 37 co-sponsors and is the talk down in Springfield, even other lobbyists are talking about it, positively.

And there hasn't even been a CCW/LTC bill introduced in Wisconsin.  

hehehehehehe.
« Last Edit: March 14, 2011, 05:02:50 AM by scout26 »

Hold fast by the river.
for the motherland.

AJ Dual

• friends
  • Shoe Ballistics Inc.
« Reply #4 on: March 14, 2011, 12:09:58 AM »
Nope, HB148 has preemption, and is shall-issue.  It has some things that'll give the anti's somethign to crow about (a 3 strikes provision for illegal firearms use: mandatory 10 yrs for 1st time, 20yrs for second and life for 3rd time)  Has a training (both classroom and live fire) requirement.  It currently has 37 co-sponsors and is the talk down in Springfield even other lobbyists are talking about it, positively.

And there hasn't even been a CCW/LTC bill introduced in Wisconsin.  

hehehehehehe.

That in bold above is what won't sit well with Chicago.

And you have to remember, those here in WI have been to this rodeo a few times. The governor bought off an actual sponsor of the bill who was writing pro-RKBA op-ed opinion pieces in the local papers with a judgeship if he lost re-election over his switch.

We passed it through our legislature with 2/3rds super-majorities, twice, however, what was going on is any number of closet-antis, or those just soft on the issue, or those who had larger behind the scenes political concerns and fealties were only voting for it because they knew the fix was in.

I just can't see Chicago not pulling out every last dirty trick in the book behind the scenes to kill this. Not even on the RKBA/CCW issues of it, but the power play between Chicago and Springfield. The RKBA and pro/anti arguments aside, that's what motivated a lot of the switching and betrayal here in WI, that they didn't want their seated governor and party weakened.

And, a major thing about the big-city politics and CCW is that various constituencies see it as a "hunting license for their kids". In essence, they see a certain level of criminality as inevitable, and would prefer some whitey not shoot their kid for "doing what he's gotta do".

Monkeyleg and another pro gun figure here in WI attended a community meeting in that part of town here in Milwaukee a few years ago, as they tried to make their case for those they logically thought "needed CCW more than anybody", the reaction was to the point there was some concern for their safety and, IIRC, they had to leave the meeting early.

I can't imagine that such sentiment isn't any less in Chicago, and the population of those districts that either have representation, or are at least pandered to in both state and city politics is even bigger than Milwaukee's.

I want to be wrong, and I hope it passes. I figure either state getting it first only helps apply the pressure to the other to pass it too.

The one possible saving grace is that the more cynical politicians may see this as a relatively harmless way to divert some "tea party steam" into something they feel (or know from other states) is inconsequential, vs. something REALLY dangerous, like breaking the union/Democrat money machine.
« Last Edit: March 14, 2011, 12:13:25 AM by AJ Dual »
I promise not to duck.

Scout26

• friend
« Reply #5 on: March 14, 2011, 05:11:19 AM »
I hear you AJ, but the downstate Dems went out on a limb for the tax increase, and if they don't get something in return to point to for their constituents they're ready to turn on Madigan, Cullerton, & Quinn and "undo" the tax increase.

Plus they see that we could get "Constitutional Carry" forced down their throats by the courts.  So that's another thing we got going for us.   You can have some say WRT to training and permits, or we'll walk around with machine guns glued to our foreheads once the courts get done.  Pick one.

True, it's not a done deal and any number of things could happen, but we've got the Sheriff's Association, The Chiefs of Police and the Chicago Police Sergeants Union on our side.  (All testified in favor of the law, because they also see Con-Carry as a possibility.)

A LTC/CCW bill has never made it this far before, and this one's a juggernaut.

Hold fast by the river.
for the motherland.

AJ Dual

• friends
  • Shoe Ballistics Inc.
« Reply #6 on: March 14, 2011, 10:27:06 AM »
The other upside I see for you is with Daley stepping down, and Rahm Emmanuel as mayor elect, there's a bit of a power vacuum in Chicago politics right now. As a lame-duck, perhaps Daley won't fight it, and as Mayor-elect Emmanuel might not either.

Wisconsin and Chicago flipping to shall-issue in 2011, and Iowa going from may to shall, will really help put pressure on the may-issue/de-facto no-issue states like MD and NJ.
I promise not to duck.