Author Topic: Federal end-run around Montana laws...  (Read 18755 times)

Tallpine

• friends
  • Grumpy Old Grandpa
Re: Federal end-run around Montana laws...
« Reply #75 on: March 23, 2011, 10:53:08 AM »
The U.S. Attorney says medical marijuana customers using the drug to cope with illnesses who in "clear compliance with state law' aren't the focus of this investigation.

Well, if this is true doesn't it mean that Leviathan is backing down just a wee bit  ???

The stoner camel has his nose under the tent  :P
Freedom is a heavy load, a great and strange burden for the spirit to undertake. It is not easy. It is not a gift given, but a choice made, and the choice may be a hard one. The road goes upward toward the light; but the laden traveller may never reach the end of it.  - Ursula Le Guin

cassandra and sara's daddy

• friends
« Reply #76 on: March 23, 2011, 11:04:56 AM »
the stoner camel gets caught like this a few more times they fold the tent up and leave it in the cold breeze again. unless part and parcel of "the movement" is shirking paying their taxes and its a stoner value to get others to carry the weight for you.....  and no one would ever think that...
It is much more powerful to seek Truth for one's self.  Seeing and hearing that others seem to have found it can be a motivation.  With me, I was drawn because of much error and bad judgment on my part. Confronting one's own errors and bad judgment is a very life altering situation.  Confronting the errors and bad judgment of others is usually hypocrisy.

by someone older and wiser than I

roo_ster

• Kakistocracy--It's What's For Dinner.
  • friend
  • Hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats
« Reply #77 on: March 23, 2011, 11:17:40 AM »
Here I am trying to visualize a "stoner camel."
Regards,

roo_ster

“Fallacies do not cease to be fallacies because they become fashions.”
----G.K. Chesterton

• friends
It is much more powerful to seek Truth for one's self.  Seeing and hearing that others seem to have found it can be a motivation.  With me, I was drawn because of much error and bad judgment on my part. Confronting one's own errors and bad judgment is a very life altering situation.  Confronting the errors and bad judgment of others is usually hypocrisy.

Tallpine

• friends
  • Grumpy Old Grandpa
« Reply #79 on: March 23, 2011, 03:55:45 PM »
All I'm getting at is that the Feds seem to be somewhat officially allowing legitimate MM under state law.  That could be a huge step beyond "we're looking the other way right now but you just wait till we get around to it. :police:"

So ... maybe in a couple years we pass an state initiative allowing possession and production for personal consumption regardless of any medical issues  ???

As I've stated before, I have no personal interest in the stuff, but I just like to see personal liberty increased in any way possible.
Freedom is a heavy load, a great and strange burden for the spirit to undertake. It is not easy. It is not a gift given, but a choice made, and the choice may be a hard one. The road goes upward toward the light; but the laden traveller may never reach the end of it.  - Ursula Le Guin

• friends
« Reply #80 on: March 23, 2011, 06:57:57 PM »
i've been pro legalization since the late 60 for that same reason.  my derision is for "the movement" and its players, for players they certainly are. i would not limit legalization to pot alone

Tallpine

• friends
  • Grumpy Old Grandpa
« Reply #81 on: March 23, 2011, 07:24:28 PM »
i would not limit legalization to pot alone

Oh, me neither.  ;)

I am somewhat ambivalent about the synthetic stuff, which likely would not ever have been a problem if the organics (MJ, cocaine, opiates, etc) had not been prohibited.  =(

• friends
« Reply #82 on: March 23, 2011, 07:37:58 PM »
its a self curing problem and would improve the gene pool at the same time

Hawkmoon

• friend
« Reply #83 on: March 23, 2011, 10:23:34 PM »
What needs to happen is the local LEO's need to arrest the Feds in the process of stealing a state licensed businesses product. It would be funny to see a state court convict a bunch of DEA agents on theft charges.  :lol: I wonder how many DEA agents are willing to risk felony charges for their job?

This. Doesn't the state law provide that it's a crime for any Federal officer to make such raids? I think some sheriffs need to start arresting DEA agents.
- - - - - - - - - - - - -
100% Politically Incorrect by Design

• friends
« Reply #84 on: March 23, 2011, 10:50:37 PM »
bet more dea agents will risk than local sheriffs will risk a fed obstruction beef  or an accomplice charge to whatever crime they cover for.  in this case trafficking and tax games + money laundering.  ymmv

roo_ster

• Kakistocracy--It's What's For Dinner.
  • friend
  • Hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats
« Reply #85 on: March 24, 2011, 12:40:33 AM »
i've been pro legalization since the late 60 for that same reason.  my derision is for "the movement" and its players, for players they certainly are. i would not limit legalization to pot alone

Similarly pro-legalization, here, and similarly I think little of most(1) users.  Most users/sellers are going to be the sort of folk who break all sorts of laws and mores beyond just drug use/sales.  Some will be habitual/addicted and I have had enough of that sort, thanks.

I don;t have to like drug users/sellers to think the WoSD is a Very Bad Idea.

(1) Legit MM users I rate with any other folk who need a serious painkiller or similar med. 
Regards,

roo_ster

“Fallacies do not cease to be fallacies because they become fashions.”
----G.K. Chesterton

PTK

• friends
« Reply #86 on: March 24, 2011, 01:00:38 AM »
Similarly pro-legalization, here, and similarly I think little of most(1) users.

Agreed. With your footnote, agreed.

Even without my using it medicinally, I'd still be pro-legalization. For just the medical aspects of this fight, though, I'm in it to win.
"Only lucky people grow old." - Frederick L.
September 1915 - August 2008

"If you really do have cancer "this time", then this is your own fault. Like the little boy who cried wolf."

• friends
« Reply #87 on: April 01, 2011, 05:39:00 PM »
http://www.forbes.com/feeds/ap/2011/04/01/business-us-mt-medical-marijuana_8386055.html

HELENA, Mont. -- The state House speaker said Thursday he was confident there will be no legislative stalemate on medical marijuana this session, even though the two remaining proposals to repeal or reform the law both face high hurdles with time running down.

The Senate late Thursday endorsed in a 29-21 vote the House's full repeal measure and readied to send it back to the other chamber - finally giving House Speaker Mike Milburn the proposal he wants made into law

• friends
« Reply #88 on: April 01, 2011, 08:23:35 PM »
now i see where they are/were going    not a good place

http://blogs.forbes.com/eco-nomics/2011/03/28/could-medical-marijuana-get-the-al-capone-treatment/?partner=relatedstoriesbox

Could the IRS use the tax code to shut down medical marijuana dispensaries?

In 1931, mobster Al Capone was finally put behind bars because he was convicted of multiple tax-evasion charges, and the IRS is taking a similar approach with medical marijuana today. Many dispensaries in California now face audits that could result in their owing millions of dollars in back taxes.

According to Forbes columnist Robert W. Wood, the agency is relying on Internal Revenue Code Section 280E, which “precludes deductions for any business trafficking in controlled substances.” While dispensaries are legal in some states, including California, marijuana trafficking remains illegal on a federal level. The IRS is arguing that normal business expenses that most companies can deduct on their taxes are not applicable to dispensaries.

The Marin Alliance for Medical Marijuana in Fairfax, Calif., was the first dispensary to be hit with this ruling earlier this month. Founder Lynette Shaw told the Marin Independent Journal of California that the IRS audited the company’s returns for 2008 and 2009 and disallowed all of the alliance’s business deductions such as buying marijuana, hiring employees, and renting office space. Shaw did not disclose the amount the IRS told her she owes, but she described it as “a staggering sum” totaling several million dollars.

“Every dispensary in the nation, past, present and future is dead if this is upheld,” Shaw said. An IRS spokesperson declined to discuss the case. Shaw is currently planning an appeal.

• friends
« Reply #89 on: April 04, 2011, 03:25:44 PM »