Author Topic: How does Firefly stack up?  (Read 17223 times)

StopTheGrays

• friend
  • bah...
Re: How does Firefly stack up?
« Reply #50 on: March 17, 2011, 04:56:09 PM »
Space: Above and Beyond

Good premise, effects, some eye candy but never really fun to watch IMO. All the stories were either depressing, ended in a down note or both.
Does any image illustrate so neatly the wrongheadedness of the Obama administration than Americans scrambling in terror from Air Force One?
Just great…Chicago politics has spread to all 57 states.
They told me if I voted for John McCain, my country would look like it is run by people with a disturbing affinity towards fascism. And they were right!

Perd Hapley

• Superstar of the Internet
  • friend
  • My prepositions are on/in
« Reply #51 on: March 17, 2011, 05:06:44 PM »

Good premise, effects, some eye candy but never really fun to watch IMO. All the stories were either depressing, ended in a down note or both.

I loved it anyway.

For I am the ultimate Firefly nerd and watched all episodes and the movie with commentary, all the special features and the easter egg...

Yeah, me too. Guess I don't remember that part. I'm not sure that would be such a great storyline, seeing as how Big Scary Corporation has been done to death.
"Doggies are angel babies!" -- my wife

SADShooter

• friend
« Reply #52 on: March 17, 2011, 05:47:38 PM »
I wouldn't call out dark mood as a flaw of Space:AaA, though it had many, as noted. The story arc was an existential war after mass devastation similar to BSG. Hard to find a lot of cheer in that. If anything, its quality was hampered by the push for TV-friendly standalone plotting, and being too ambitious for its budget.
"Ah, is there any wine so sweet and intoxicating as the tears of a hippie?"-Tamara, View From the Porch

Tallpine

• friends
  • Grumpy Old Grandpa
« Reply #53 on: March 17, 2011, 07:35:15 PM »
See:
Season 2, episode 208, Slaves of Las Vegas
Season 3, episode 315, Lady Heather Box
Season 6, episode 615, Pirates of the Third Reich (the freaky one)

Maybe I'll catch them as reruns when I staying out in CA.  Funny, I guess they filmed most of those a couple miles from where I'm working out there.
Freedom is a heavy load, a great and strange burden for the spirit to undertake. It is not easy. It is not a gift given, but a choice made, and the choice may be a hard one. The road goes upward toward the light; but the laden traveller may never reach the end of it.  - Ursula Le Guin

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #54 on: March 17, 2011, 08:18:04 PM »

I forgot all about Space Above and Beyond. Spotty episode to episode quality, but I liked it overall. Another series that could have gone on to greatness had the network let it live. Available on Netflix.
"I'm a foolish old man that has been drawn into a wild goose chase by a harpy in trousers and a nincompoop."

Angel Eyes

• Lying dog-faced pony soldier
  • friend
  • You're not diggin'
« Reply #55 on: March 17, 2011, 08:21:19 PM »
I forgot all about Space Above and Beyond. Spotty episode to episode quality, but I liked it overall. Another series that could have gone on to greatness had the network let it live. Available on Netflix.

It had R. Lee Ermey, so it wasn't all bad.
"End of quote.  Repeat the line."
  - Joe 'Ron Burgundy' Biden

Boomhauer

• Former Moderator, fired for embezzlement and abuse of power
  • friends
« Reply #56 on: March 18, 2011, 12:00:29 AM »
Surprised that people laud BSG for it's acting . . . aside from Olmos as Adama, I thought the actors portraying rest of the characters - Tigh, the President, Baltar, Starbuck (especially Starbuck!), etc., were pretty bad.

Tigh- the guy was protrayed pretty well as an unstable, formerly great, drunk, I thought.

Baltar- creepy strange scuzzy dude vibe was pulled off real well. I was only screaming at the TV "Why are you fools trusting him?" Besides us knowing he was bad, you could simply tell he was a psycho.

Prez- I thought she did all right. Wasn't iron handed enough, too soft, as expected of a peace loving civilian who didn't quite realize what was going on at first.

Starbuck...eh, I agree. Not very spectacular.

Apollo- portrayed the "fighter pilot" swagger/attitude pretty well.

Quote from: Ben
Holy hell. It's like giving a loaded gun to a chimpanzee...

Quote from: bluestarlizzard
the last thing you need is rabies. You're already angry enough as it is.

OTOH, there wouldn't be a tweeker left in Georgia...

Quote from: Balog
BLOOD FOR THE BLOOD GOD! SKULLS FOR THE SKULL THRONE! AND THROW SOME STEAK ON THE GRILL!

seeker_two

• friend
  • In short, most intelligence is false.
« Reply #57 on: March 18, 2011, 01:05:34 AM »
I almost forgot the greatest sci-fi TV show of all....

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0bnevbnyRd0&feature=related

....but then, I'm a little biased....  =D
Impressed yet befogged, they grasped at his vivid leading phrases, seeing only their surface meaning, and missing the deeper current of his thought.

Perd Hapley

• friend
« Reply #58 on: March 18, 2011, 02:01:09 AM »
I almost forgot the greatest sci-fi TV show of all....

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0bnevbnyRd0&feature=related

....but then, I'm a little biased....  =D

1. That was horrifying.

2. Why are you biased? You're a mentally-challenged psychopath with a huge crush on Jason?

Scout26

• I'm a leaf on the wind.
  • friend
  • I spent a week in that town one night....
« Reply #59 on: March 18, 2011, 03:57:13 AM »
2. Why are you biased? You're a mentally-challenged psychopath with a huge crush on Jason?

No, his name is Jason, if your were on FB you'd know that.   :P
Some days even my lucky rocketship underpants won't help.

Bring me my Broadsword and a clear understanding.
Get up to the roundhouse on the cliff-top standing.
Take women and children and bed them down.
Bless with a hard heart those that stand with me.
Bless the women and children who firm our hands.
Put our backs to the north wind.
Hold fast by the river.
Sweet memories to drive us on,
for the motherland.

HankB

• friend
« Reply #60 on: March 18, 2011, 08:42:26 AM »
BTW, are we including Manga in this?.....if we are, then I have to add Cowboy Bebop to my list.....
If we're including cartoons, then did anyone else catch Roughnecks which was an animated version of Starship Troopers? I think it ran for a couple of seasons. (Only caught a few episodes myself - it was almost good.)  Also remember a Japanese series - Star Blazers - in which they found the hulk of the WWII battleship Yamato, rebuilt it with ray guns and wings, and made it into a space ship to take on all manner of interstellar bad guys. (Best viewed when partaking of an adult BEvERage.)
Trump won in 2016. Democrats haven't been so offended since Republicans came along and freed their slaves.
Sometimes I wonder if the world is being run by smart people who are putting us on, or by imbeciles who really mean it. - Mark Twain
Government is a broker in pillage, and every election is a sort of advance auction in stolen goods. - H.L. Mencken
Patriotism is supporting your country all the time, and your government when it deserves it. - Mark Twain

AJ Dual

• friends
  • Shoe Ballistics Inc.
« Reply #61 on: March 18, 2011, 10:03:39 AM »
If we're including cartoons, then did anyone else catch Roughnecks which was an animated version of Starship Troopers? I think it ran for a couple of seasons. (Only caught a few episodes myself - it was almost good.)  Also remember a Japanese series - Star Blazers - in which they found the hulk of the WWII battleship Yamato, rebuilt it with ray guns and wings, and made it into a space ship to take on all manner of interstellar bad guys. (Best viewed when partaking of an adult BEvERage.)

Roughnecks was better than the execrable movies, since it did have power-armor. However they still fought nothing like they did in the book.

Space Battleship Yamato (re-worked as Star Blazers for the U.S. dubbed version) just got the live-action movie treatment in Japan last year. The silly premise and the weirder tropes that infect anime inside, they stayed pretty true to the story. Even the uniforms are correct.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HXueApDZyhc&feature=watch_response
I promise not to duck.

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
"I'm a foolish old man that has been drawn into a wild goose chase by a harpy in trousers and a nincompoop."

seeker_two

• friend
« Reply #63 on: March 18, 2011, 12:08:45 PM »

Space Battleship Yamato (re-worked as Star Blazers for the U.S. dubbed version) just got the live-action movie treatment in Japan last year. The silly premise and the weirder tropes that infect anime inside, they stayed pretty true to the story. Even the uniforms are correct.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HXueApDZyhc&feature=watch_response

I wanna see THAT!!!.....  :O

1. That was horrifying.

Facebook much, Monkey Boy?.....  :P

=D
Impressed yet befogged, they grasped at his vivid leading phrases, seeing only their surface meaning, and missing the deeper current of his thought.

RocketMan

• Mad Rocket Scientist
  • friend
  • Semper Fidelis
« Reply #64 on: March 18, 2011, 03:52:53 PM »
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-284O5nypgY&feature=related

Back when I was an engineer at channel 12 in Portland many eons ago, work in Master Control came to a complete standstill whenever Wilma was on.  And her show wasn't broadcast on our station.
She was the only reason we watched that show, whatever it was.
If there really was intelligent life on other planets, we'd be sending them foreign aid.

Conservatives see George Orwell's "1984" as a cautionary tale.  Progressives view it as a "how to" manual.

My wife often says to me, "You are evil and must be destroyed." She may be right.

Liberals believe one should never let reason, logic and facts get in the way of a good emotional argument.

Perd Hapley

• friend
« Reply #65 on: March 18, 2011, 05:52:14 PM »
Facebook much, Monkey Boy?.....  :P
 =D

Use of a swhat?

BlueStarLizzard

• Queen of the Cislords
  • friend
  • Oh please, nobody died last time...
« Reply #66 on: March 18, 2011, 06:41:15 PM »
1. That was horrifying.

My soul just died a little...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-284O5nypgY&feature=related

"party pooper!"  :lol:
"Okay, um, I'm lost. Uh, I'm angry, and I'm armed, so if you two have something that you need to work out --" -Malcolm Reynolds

Scout26

• I'm a leaf on the wind.
  • friend
  • I spent a week in that town one night....
« Reply #67 on: March 18, 2011, 07:01:20 PM »
She totally destroyed me as a nine year old, it was the universe opening up and explaining itself to me, incredible

Ayap.  She was the ONLY reason me and my friends watched that show.  Our mom's thought it was because is was a Sci-Fi show.....ummmm not so much.....
Some days even my lucky rocketship underpants won't help.

Bring me my Broadsword and a clear understanding.
Get up to the roundhouse on the cliff-top standing.
Take women and children and bed them down.
Bless with a hard heart those that stand with me.
Bless the women and children who firm our hands.
Put our backs to the north wind.
Hold fast by the river.
Sweet memories to drive us on,
for the motherland.

Perd Hapley

• friend
« Reply #68 on: March 18, 2011, 08:07:43 PM »
My soul just died a little...

Was it me, or Jason?

BlueStarLizzard

• Queen of the Cislords
  • friend
  • Oh please, nobody died last time...
« Reply #69 on: March 18, 2011, 08:22:19 PM »
Was it me, or Jason?

Its a facebook thing... You wouldn't understand.  =D
"Okay, um, I'm lost. Uh, I'm angry, and I'm armed, so if you two have something that you need to work out --" -Malcolm Reynolds

seeker_two

• friend
« Reply #70 on: March 18, 2011, 11:45:34 PM »
Its a facebook thing... You wouldn't understand.  =D

No, you wouldn't.....  ;)

RocketMan

• Mad Rocket Scientist
  • friend
  • Semper Fidelis
« Last Edit: March 19, 2011, 04:11:38 AM by RocketMan »
If there really was intelligent life on other planets, we'd be sending them foreign aid.

Conservatives see George Orwell's "1984" as a cautionary tale.  Progressives view it as a "how to" manual.

My wife often says to me, "You are evil and must be destroyed." She may be right.

Liberals believe one should never let reason, logic and facts get in the way of a good emotional argument.

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #72 on: March 19, 2011, 11:02:28 AM »

Perd Hapley

• friend
« Reply #73 on: March 19, 2011, 12:02:38 PM »

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #74 on: March 19, 2011, 12:24:35 PM »
Another classic from the 90's:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W8DqLwdkgdk