Author Topic: How does Firefly stack up?  (Read 17222 times)

TommyGunn

• friend
  • Stuck in full auto since birth.
Re: How does Firefly stack up?
« Reply #75 on: March 19, 2011, 12:35:04 PM »
Anybody remember this one?

This one was actually pretty good at times.

THE INVADERS.  Yes, I recall this from when I was a kid, and I enjoyed it.  Both seasons are out on DVD now and I have them.  =D

THE OUTER LIMITS.  I also recall this from my youth and have the DVD sets.  I still recall watching the episode with Martin Landau as the radiation deformed man from the future who went back in time, and the one with the Zanti "misfits" -- antlike beings who turned out to be badguys -- and not to be forgotten, the one with Adam West who played an astronaut on mars whose crew was being scarfed up by "sandsharks" which lived under a quicksand like surface.  That was a scary show for a kid back then.
MOLON LABE   "Through ignorance of what is good and what is bad, the life of men is greatly perplexed." ~~ Cicero

RocketMan

• Mad Rocket Scientist
  • friend
  • Semper Fidelis
« Reply #76 on: March 19, 2011, 01:51:30 PM »
Yes it was. What was even better was the related link at the youtube site. :)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tv_ep8fowP4&feature=related

I just climbed out of my bunk to say I saw that one, but was not sure how YT decided it was related.  I agree with your assessment of the quality of said related video.
If there really was intelligent life on other planets, we'd be sending them foreign aid.

Conservatives see George Orwell's "1984" as a cautionary tale.  Progressives view it as a "how to" manual.

My wife often says to me, "You are evil and must be destroyed." She may be right.

Liberals believe one should never let reason, logic and facts get in the way of a good emotional argument.

Sindawe

• friend
  • Vashneesht
« Reply #77 on: March 19, 2011, 02:43:49 PM »
THE OUTER LIMITS.

The Zanti Misfits & Cold hands, Warm Heart creeped me right the frak out when I first saw them on reruns years ago.  I had nightmares of the little misfits crawling out from under my bed a few times.

Firefly & Serenity rank highly as televised Science Fiction in my book.  In no small part due to the sets and props having that "lived in" look so oftem missing from other SF.  The characters were not mostly perfect with occasional flaws like Star Trek so often had, but felt like real people who made real (and sometimes bad) choices and had to live with them.

I think there where two tracks in TV SF starting in the late 70s.  The pretty, expensive effects, generally flat stories and characters characterized by BG:TOS > Space:1999 > ST:TNG > Space:A&B; and the grungy, low budget (at least in visual feel), stories and characters with depth as seen in Dr Who:Peter Davidson years > Babylon 5 > Crusade > Farscape > Firefly.

There were cross overs in the tracks of course, Moment of Beauty/Uglyness if you will.

A good scene from B5:...

Flounder looks SICK, having lost the weight the D-Day put on by then.  =D

Another good bit from B5: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W8oF0i5nvPI

Farscape too weird?  What is weird about Farscape? http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GQo9_VI6TnA&feature=related  ???
I am free, no matter what rules surround me. If I find them tolerable, I tolerate them; if I find them too obnoxious, I break them. I am free because I know that I alone am morally responsible for everything I do.

HankB

• friend
« Reply #78 on: March 19, 2011, 06:38:03 PM »
Another classic B5 scene:  http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tFvkgfBXHPA

Funny how nobody has mentioned Land of the Giants or Time Tunnel yet . . . or, for that matter, It's About Timehttp://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J1G-TsdNWGg  (Think of a sci-fi version of Gilligan's Island . . .)
Trump won in 2016. Democrats haven't been so offended since Republicans came along and freed their slaves.
Sometimes I wonder if the world is being run by smart people who are putting us on, or by imbeciles who really mean it. - Mark Twain
Government is a broker in pillage, and every election is a sort of advance auction in stolen goods. - H.L. Mencken
Patriotism is supporting your country all the time, and your government when it deserves it. - Mark Twain

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #79 on: March 19, 2011, 06:43:54 PM »
"I'm a foolish old man that has been drawn into a wild goose chase by a harpy in trousers and a nincompoop."

gunsmith

• I forgot to get vaccinated!
  • friend
  • I'm sorry, Dave. I'm afraid I can't do that.
« Reply #80 on: March 19, 2011, 06:50:41 PM »
a lot to read in this thread so I'll just have to put it off till a later date so I don't get swayed.
Firefly is the set, followed by Original Star Trek.

I'm entertained by two current Sci Fi type shows right now-The Event and Fringe, but Firefly much better.
I like the first season of V but right now they are not challenging B.O to much, they made a half hearted stab at global warming but its not all that good.

Recently reread DADOE Sheep, nothing like bladerunner. I like most all PKD though. Blade Runner? I prefer the original release, not directors cut.
Politicians and bureaucrats are considered productive if they swarm the populace like a plague of locust, devouring all substance in their path and leaving a swath of destruction like a firestorm. The technical term is "bipartisanship".
Rocket Man: "The need for booster shots for the immunized has always been based on the science.  Political science, not medical science."

CSM Kersh

« Reply #81 on: March 20, 2011, 09:52:49 AM »
Recently reread DADOE Sheep, nothing like bladerunner. I like most all PKD though. Blade Runner? I prefer the original release, not directors cut.

I prefer DADOE Sheep.

Sam A. Kersh
NRA Patron
csmkersh@thegunnerslair.com
My Web Page
When Seconds count the police are only minutes away.