Author Topic: Fuel Economy Question  (Read 7014 times)

RoadKingLarry

• friends
Re: Fuel Economy Question
« Reply #25 on: March 18, 2011, 01:43:34 PM »
Friends don't let friends use Fram oil filters.

My '97 Dodge 1500 that is now my daughters has 265,000 miles on it, my '92 Cherokee has 245,000 miles on it. I use Fram filters and change oil/filter at the manufacturers recommended interval. I bought the truck with 26K miles, the Jeep came with 125K on it. Neither of them have had any engine work other than routine maintenance with the exception of changing the rear main seal on the Jeep shortly after I got it.
Sure glad I found out how bad Fram filters are before I ruined one of my vehicles. =D
If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or your arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that you were our countrymen.

Samuel Adams

Tallpine

• friends
  • Grumpy Old Grandpa
« Reply #26 on: March 18, 2011, 03:14:00 PM »
Our little chevy has a computer that tells you when the oil needs changing, supposedly based on the type of driving that you do.

I don't trust it and usually change when it is saying 25 to 50 percent oil life left.

Last time it was up to about 7K when I changed it at 25% but that was over 5K miles of pure highway driving.  Actually most of our miles are hiway since we are 60 miles from town.

Big trucks go 10K or more between oil changes.  Otherwise they would have to change the oil every other fuel up.
Freedom is a heavy load, a great and strange burden for the spirit to undertake. It is not easy. It is not a gift given, but a choice made, and the choice may be a hard one. The road goes upward toward the light; but the laden traveller may never reach the end of it.  - Ursula Le Guin

HeroHog

• Technical Site Pig
  • Administrator
  • It can ALWAYS get worse!
    • FaceButt Profile
« Reply #27 on: March 18, 2011, 03:50:26 PM »
I go by when my Saturn TELLS me to change the oil and then I use Either Mobil 1 or Castrol Synthetic and a Bosch filter from Auto-Zone. I gave up on Fram years ago when their quality went to heck to get the price point down for the *-Mart stores!
I might not last very long or be very effective but I'll be a real pain in the ass for a minute!
MOLON LABE!

sanglant

• friend
« Reply #28 on: March 18, 2011, 05:33:24 PM »
Well, they always were a little off...

*ETA*
By the way, your reply of "every Subaru" struck me as odd, what in this day of replaceable conveniences and over-zealous liability attorneys just waiting for Big Car to make even a single misstep.  If I were a vehicle mfg I wouldn't want the liability of a regularly serviced part so maintenance intensive as an oiled element air filter.  That is, except on some dedicated performance models where the owners would likely know how to care for them properly.  So I looked.  I found lots of stuff on the web about Subaru air filters.  I only found a few references to an oil-element filter.  Very few.  So I challenge your assertion that every Subaru has an oiled element air filter.  From what I can see all but one or two performance models have a garden variety replaceable paper element.

Brad
oh, we got our wires crossed. :laugh: that's an oiled filter, it's still disposable. and it looks like the turbos take dry filters. [tinfoil] so not all, anymore. after i got my K&N i kinda stopped looking at subaru filters, don't really have any need for them anymore. :angel:

zahc

• friend
« Reply #29 on: March 19, 2011, 02:10:35 PM »
My neighbors in OH ran a farm and fleet maintenance business and they cut apart all the different filters. The conclusion was that WIX is the best, but that Napa Gold is probably the same thing as WIX.
Maybe a rare occurence, but then you only have to get murdered once to ruin your whole day.
--Tallpine

MillCreek

• Skippy The Wonder Dog
  • friend
  • APS Risk Manager
« Reply #30 on: March 19, 2011, 02:22:41 PM »
My neighbors in OH ran a farm and fleet maintenance business and they cut apart all the different filters. The conclusion was that WIX is the best, but that Napa Gold is probably the same thing as WIX.

Lots of discussion about this very thing on the maxi-scooter and motorcycle boards with a lot of people coming to the same conclusion. I use a Napa Gold filter on my Aprilia maxi-scooter along with Castrol synthetic. When I do the next change/filter on the Suzuki DR, I will do the same.

Quote from: Angel Eyes on August 09, 2018, 01:56:15 AM
You are one lousy risk manager.

cassandra and sara's daddy

• friends
« Reply #31 on: March 19, 2011, 02:34:48 PM »
isn't it one of those deals where the same plant makes filters for several different brands?  like washers, dryers and such?
It is much more powerful to seek Truth for one's self.  Seeing and hearing that others seem to have found it can be a motivation.  With me, I was drawn because of much error and bad judgment on my part. Confronting one's own errors and bad judgment is a very life altering situation.  Confronting the errors and bad judgment of others is usually hypocrisy.

by someone older and wiser than I