Author Topic: HELP!!My computer is down.  (Read 12497 times)

Perd Hapley

• Superstar of the Internet
  • friend
  • My prepositions are on/in
Re: HELP!!My computer is down.
« Reply #25 on: March 18, 2011, 05:54:49 PM »
So I replaced the bracket, cleaned and gooed both surfaces lightly and reassembled right quck, now that I know what I'm supposed to be doing.

Then you probably used too much.  =| 

"Doggies are angel babies!" -- my wife

Scout26

• I'm a leaf on the wind.
  • friend
  • I spent a week in that town one night....
« Reply #26 on: March 18, 2011, 06:47:10 PM »
Hey they make thermally conductive epoxy. Just make sure you don't mix it up with the regular thermal paste.

Is that "lose your eyebrows bad" or "End the universe as we know it" bad ?
Some days even my lucky rocketship underpants won't help.

Bring me my Broadsword and a clear understanding.
Get up to the roundhouse on the cliff-top standing.
Take women and children and bed them down.
Bless with a hard heart those that stand with me.
Bless the women and children who firm our hands.
Put our backs to the north wind.
Hold fast by the river.
Sweet memories to drive us on,
for the motherland.

280plus

• friend
  • Ever get that sinking feeling?
« Reply #27 on: March 18, 2011, 06:53:36 PM »
Then you probably used too much.  =| 

Bill says it won't hurt anything if you do. It was just a light film on both.

I BELIEVE this friend of a friend broke one tab way back when because there was one already broken when I started. The other I did fumbling around trying to get the heat sink out of there. All fixed now though.
Avoid cliches like the plague!

sanglant

• friend
« Reply #28 on: March 18, 2011, 07:57:27 PM »
layers, tend to vary. i coat the proc and heat sink, using a razor blade like a drywall knife. :laugh: around a hairs width on each. easier to get it even that way. really you just have to find what works for you, and if your going to be gettin' messy with it, be sure to buy non conductive paste. [tinfoil]

RocketMan

• Mad Rocket Scientist
  • friend
  • Semper Fidelis
« Reply #29 on: March 19, 2011, 04:23:58 AM »
Bill says it won't hurt anything if you do.

Unfortunately, your friend Bill is incorrect.  The Arctic Silver folks are right on with their instructions. Too much thermal compound actually impedes heat transfer.  I've done the experiments, tracked the termperatures, seen it happen.
With any luck you'll get by.
If there really was intelligent life on other planets, we'd be sending them foreign aid.

Conservatives see George Orwell's "1984" as a cautionary tale.  Progressives view it as a "how to" manual.

My wife often says to me, "You are evil and must be destroyed." She may be right.

Liberals believe one should never let reason, logic and facts get in the way of a good emotional argument.

280plus

• friend
« Reply #30 on: March 19, 2011, 08:37:47 AM »
Let's get this straight, I applied a tiny dab of goo to each surface and schmeared it around with the tip of my finger. Then I repeatedly wiped the tip of my finger clean and schmeared until I felt it was thin enough. I don't think I was too far off the mark. Don't forget, I saw how much was on there when I opened it up and tried to approximate that amount. 

Anyhoo, exactly how does the machine sense the temp of the cpu?

RaspberrySurprise

• friend
  • Yub yub Commander
« Reply #31 on: March 19, 2011, 08:39:00 AM »
Let's get this straight, I applied a tiny dab of goo to each surface and schmeared it around with the tip of my finger. Then I repeatedly wiped the tip of my finger clean and schmeared until I felt it was thin enough. I don't think I was too far off the mark. Don't forget, I saw how much was on there when I opened it up and tried to approximate that amount. 

There is a very small temp sensor built inside the CPU
Look, tiny text!

280plus

• friend
« Reply #32 on: March 19, 2011, 09:52:23 AM »
Uhhhhmmmm (searching for word),,,, thermistor? Gotta be.

RocketMan

• Mad Rocket Scientist
  • friend
  • Semper Fidelis
« Reply #33 on: March 19, 2011, 02:04:32 PM »
Uhhhhmmmm (searching for word),,,, thermistor? Gotta be.

A thermistor it is.  Sometimes built into the CPU, sometimes on the mobo under the CPU socket.  It depends on the CPU.
There is a neat little freebie program called SpeedFan that will monitor and graph the CPU temp.  It does other temps in the system, as well.
It also has a fairly decent SMART monitoring feature to check hard drive reliability.  At least as far as the SMART data is a reliable indicator of hard drive health.  It can vary, but still comes in handy.
« Last Edit: March 19, 2011, 02:07:34 PM by RocketMan »
If there really was intelligent life on other planets, we'd be sending them foreign aid.

Conservatives see George Orwell's "1984" as a cautionary tale.  Progressives view it as a "how to" manual.

My wife often says to me, "You are evil and must be destroyed." She may be right.

Liberals believe one should never let reason, logic and facts get in the way of a good emotional argument.

280plus

• friend
« Reply #34 on: March 19, 2011, 02:11:52 PM »
Why does temp affect performance? I mean, I can understand not wanting to cook it but it seems my computer works better now that everything seems to be cooling properly. eg, no more screen locks in games,,, so far.

280plus

• friend
« Reply #35 on: March 19, 2011, 02:12:54 PM »
Oh, I checked too. Seems I have 512 RAM and can add another 3 x 512 for 2 gig total.  =D

RocketMan

• Mad Rocket Scientist
  • friend
  • Semper Fidelis
« Reply #36 on: March 19, 2011, 02:32:43 PM »
Why does temp affect performance? I mean, I can understand not wanting to cook it but it seems my computer works better now that everything seems to be cooling properly. eg, no more screen locks in games,,, so far.

CPUs get squirrely if their temps are too high.  All kinds of funky things happen, including what you mentioned in games.
We have some automatic equipment where I work that gives us fits from time-to-time. It's old school industrial PCs with Pentium IV CPUs running Windows 2000.  Lock ups are the order of the day if the cooling fans fail, dust builds up, etc. It's a distribuition center moving lots of cardboard cartons on roller conveyors, so we make a lot of dust.
It especially goes nuts in the summer at some of our facilties located in warmer climes.  The thermal design of those PCs was not well thought out, and the original TIM was a crappy two-sided thermal pad that dried up and failed after a couple of years.
I did a fair amount of research and testing of different CPU coolers and the application of thermal interface material, trying to coax a few more degrees of cooling out of those systems. We use the Arctic Silver V TIM for the most part, and their application instructions seem to work the best.  I tried your variation of thinly smearing it on a CPU and heatsink, plus others that were similar.  None allowed as much heat transfer as did the method shown in the Arctic Silver instructions.
You might read them if you get a chance.  I don't know if you used AS, but how their TIM is applied and why it works is interesting reading by itself.  Neat stuff.

RocketMan

• Mad Rocket Scientist
  • friend
  • Semper Fidelis
« Reply #37 on: March 19, 2011, 02:33:40 PM »
Oh, I checked too. Seems I have 512 RAM and can add another 3 x 512 for 2 gig total.  =D

If you have the room, go for it.  WinXP likes 2 gig of RAM.

280plus

• friend
« Reply #38 on: March 19, 2011, 04:56:55 PM »
Bill is going to hold any good ones that come in for me and give me a call. ;)

"Fanner group" is the paste mfg. No instructions. Care to post the AS ones?

RocketMan

• Mad Rocket Scientist
  • friend
  • Semper Fidelis
« Reply #39 on: March 19, 2011, 06:57:31 PM »
Here they are.  Take a gander.  I know it was educational for me the first time I looked at it.  There is another site that covers this stuff pretty thoroughly, but the name escapes me at the moment.  As soon as I remember it I'll post a link.

eta: Here it is.
« Last Edit: March 19, 2011, 07:15:23 PM by RocketMan »

280plus

• friend
« Reply #40 on: March 19, 2011, 08:23:18 PM »
Wish I hadn't a read that...  :facepalm:

:lol:

RocketMan

• Mad Rocket Scientist
  • friend
  • Semper Fidelis
« Reply #41 on: March 19, 2011, 08:56:25 PM »
It is some pretty cool stuff.  But I wouldn't worry too much about yours, as the proof is in how well it works.  If you aren't locking up, call it good and don't sweat it.
If it is a Pentium IV single core, and if it is not in a warm environment to start, it should be okay.

sanglant

• friend

280plus

• friend
« Reply #43 on: March 19, 2011, 10:21:44 PM »
It's like " WHATEVER YOU DO DO NOT USE YOUR FINGER TO SMEAR THE GOO!!" PERFECT!!

:lol:

I just played a long couple hours of dflw and it was good the whole time.  =D

RocketMan

• Mad Rocket Scientist
  • friend
  • Semper Fidelis
« Reply #44 on: March 19, 2011, 10:27:20 PM »
No, it's "Don't lick your finger after using it to smear the goo!"  Reading comprehension, man!

Perd Hapley

• Superstar of the Internet
  • friend
  • My prepositions are on/in
« Reply #45 on: March 20, 2011, 12:04:41 AM »
Why does temp affect performance?

Some CPUs are designed to slow themselves down, if temps get too high.

I can't get much out of Speed Fan on my Dell computers (Optiplexes). Hope it works better on yours.

"Doggies are angel babies!" -- my wife

Hawkmoon

• friend
« Reply #46 on: March 20, 2011, 02:02:16 AM »

Simple.

When the CPU gets too hot, it stops working. This ain't rocket surgery, ya know.
- - - - - - - - - - - - -
100% Politically Incorrect by Design

280plus

• friend
« Reply #47 on: March 20, 2011, 07:00:48 AM »
OK, but WHY?

Warmer circuits means more resistance?

280plus

• friend
« Reply #48 on: March 20, 2011, 07:24:31 AM »
Some CPUs are designed to slow themselves down, if temps get too high.
Is this where the screen lock comes in?

sanglant

• friend
« Reply #49 on: March 20, 2011, 11:02:28 AM »
best i can remember, when temps get to high. electrons start going through closed gates. or was that, the whole closing time increases by temperature thing? :angel:

just somewhere to start.