Author Topic: Need an inexpensive laptop  (Read 1564 times)

mtnbkr

• friend
Need an inexpensive laptop
« on: March 31, 2006, 03:06:04 AM »
SWMBO wants a laptop for traveling and those times when I'm using our PC at the house.  Her needs are pretty simple, so we don't need a megabuck desktop replacement.  However, having only used and owned laptops as a corporate drone, I'm only familiar with the big names.  How are Acer, Winbook, etc?

I can get this: http://www.microcenter.com/single_product_results.phtml?product_id=0214681 locally for the same price as a low end dell after shipping.  They spec out about the same.  Winbook's been around a long time, but I can't remember reading much about their reliability, service, etc.

Chris

mfree

• friend
« Reply #1 on: March 31, 2006, 04:22:16 AM »
Funny enough, the el cheapo Averatecs are garnering pretty high ratings. Never heard of a winbook. Acer makes the AOpen cards and parts that I love so dearly, I figure their laptops may have the same veracity.

That said, I bought a used Compaq Armada M300-6600 off ebay since it worked with the same dock and accessories/battery that my old Presario 305 used. It's a family of machines, they all use the same bits and pieces, running the gamut from ancient celeron 333mhz 'tops up to PIII-700s and higher with the M500s. the one I bought was incomplete but was still a PIII-600 with 128M ram and a 6G hard drive for $185 shipped. To "Complete" it with more ebay parts would be about $150.

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
« Reply #2 on: March 31, 2006, 04:30:06 AM »
My brother had 2 Winbooks and wasn't really impressed. My sister-in-law is using a Thinkpad right now. It's been dropped at least twice with no ill effects.

"ancient celeron 333mhz..."

I have a Gateway desktop that I bought new in 1999 or 2000. Other than a hard drive, it's been a pretty bulletproof computer. I replaced it last year with a Dell, but I still use the Gateway as a backup.
Carbon Monoxide, sucking the life out of idiots, 'tards, and fools since man tamed fire.

mtnbkr

• friend
« Reply #3 on: March 31, 2006, 04:34:04 AM »
I'd like to avoid Compaq.  Professionally, I've had many issues with the quality of their gear and the quality of their tech support.  Their servers are ok, but their desktop and laptop products don't impress me.  Coupled with a tech support division that's more than willing to break a machine and leave it that way, I'd prefer to spend my money elsewhere.

I'm surprised the Thinkpad is that durable.  Several years ago, they were the fragile laptops.  Toshibas were the tough ones.  Dell was in the middle.

Chris

mfree

• friend
« Reply #4 on: March 31, 2006, 04:37:54 AM »
Agreed, do not purchase a *new* Compaq or HP product. The old stuff, right about till they introduced the E700 and Evos, were ok.

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
« Reply #5 on: March 31, 2006, 05:25:02 AM »
"I'm surprised the Thinkpad is that durable."

Beats me. All I know is that my brother is pleased.
Carbon Monoxide, sucking the life out of idiots, 'tards, and fools since man tamed fire.

mtnbkr

• friend
« Reply #6 on: March 31, 2006, 05:28:59 AM »
I just bought this: http://www.slickdeals.net/#p7283

Came out to $522 shipped.

Chris

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
« Reply #7 on: March 31, 2006, 05:55:11 AM »
I just e-mailed about 2 dozen people with that.

I'm seriously thinking of getting one myself, and I don't know what I'd use it for.

bermbuster

• friend
« Reply #8 on: March 31, 2006, 06:41:40 AM »
I got a suitable travel machine from Gateway.  It was about $500 after rebates.

garrettwc

• friend
  • Tell me what I want to know and the pain will stop
« Reply #9 on: March 31, 2006, 07:19:01 AM »
Another vote for the Averatecs. You can get them at Sam's Club for cheap. They have enough of a following that they have their own Yahoo discussion group.

jefnvk

• friend
  • I'll sleep away the days and ride the nights...
« Reply #10 on: March 31, 2006, 09:14:28 AM »
Funny enough, the el cheapo Averatecs are garnering pretty high ratings
I have a Sotec, essentially an Averatec, before a buyout or something, it is identical side-by-side.  I love it, had it for about three years now.  I can't kill the thing.  Dropped it off my lofted bed (about 6') many, many times.  Plus, it came with almost no software installed, a plus from todays 80GB HD's with about 1GB of free space after all the junk software pre-installed that come with most HP's or other name brand computers.

Paid $530 for it at Wal-Mart.
I still say 'Give Detroit to Canada'

roo_ster

• Kakistocracy--It's What's For Dinner.
  • friend
  • Hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats
« Reply #11 on: March 31, 2006, 05:58:31 PM »
Bought the wife an Averatec thin & light laptop last year.

I downloaded all the drivers from their website  promptly blew the factory install away.  I then installed WinXP Pro & all the SW she would need.

It has been a good machine.  It is NOT as physically tough externally (keys, etc) as a business laptop.

Do not buy Compaq/HP.  SERIOUS heat issues.
Regards,

roo_ster

“Fallacies do not cease to be fallacies because they become fashions.”
----G.K. Chesterton

Grape Ape

« Reply #12 on: April 01, 2006, 01:46:18 PM »
My first Acer was a great laptop until I broke (cracked) the screen, then it was great desktop.  When I decided to go mobile again I bought another Acer and love it also.

No bloatware (unless you count windows), no dead/stuck pixels, no problems.

I sugest you spring for one with built in wifi, the add on units are a pain.

edited for spelling