Author Topic: ? about plasma TV  (Read 2023 times)

brimic

• friends
? about plasma TV
« on: March 31, 2006, 06:41:02 AM »
I'm looking to buy a plasma tv in the near future- probably a 42" and am wondering about the reliability of them.
The salesmen at the stores seem to make a hard sell on extended service agreements and tell me that there is a bulb that is prone to burning out in plasma TVs. From internet searches I've done, I haven't been able to find any info about plasma bulbs but have seen backlights for LCD TVs. The service agreement would cost about $299 on a $2000 set. Are the salespeople trying to sell me muffler bearings or blinker fluid?
"now you see that evil will always triumph, because good is dumb" -Dark Helmet

"AK47's belong in the hands of soldiers mexican drug cartels"-
Barack Obama

BrokenPaw

• friends
  • Sedit qvi timvit ne non svccederet.
    • ShadowGrove Interpath Ministry
? about plasma TV
« Reply #1 on: March 31, 2006, 06:52:18 AM »
Brimic,

As far as I understand it, a plasma TV doesn't have a bulb; it has thousands.  Each pixel is its own individually-controllable neon bulb, essentially.

Projectors and rear-projection DLP sets have a bulb, and it can be expensive to replace.  And LCDs don't have a blub, either, IIRC; they have an electro-luminescent panel.

I think they're trying to sell you a smoke shifter.

-BP
Seek out wisdom in books, rare manuscripts, and cryptic poems if you will, but seek it also in simple stones and fragile herbs and in the cries of wild birds. Listen to the song of the wind and the roar of water if you would discover magic, for it is here that the old secrets are still preserved.

cfabe

• friend
? about plasma TV
« Reply #2 on: March 31, 2006, 07:31:38 AM »
The extended warranty is pushed so hard because it's almost pure profit. Never worth it.

TarpleyG

• friend
? about plasma TV
« Reply #3 on: March 31, 2006, 10:36:28 AM »
The sales guy is an idiot.  Find another store.  If you end up buying a DLP, get the extra coverage as it usually covers bulbs and they can be anywhere from $200 to $600 depending on the brand--extra coverage will pay for itself after a bulb or two.

As for plasma, they used to have what is called "burn-in" but I think most manufacturers have fixed that issue.  That's if you leave a static image up too long it burns in to the screen.  Very annoying it's permanent.

Greg

bermbuster

• friend
? about plasma TV
« Reply #4 on: March 31, 2006, 12:12:24 PM »
Quote from: TarpleyG
As for plasma, they used to have what is called "burn-in" but I think most manufacturers have fixed that issue.  That's if you leave a static image up too long it burns in to the screen.  Very annoying it's permanent.

Greg
My sister has slept so many nights with the TV left on the jewelry channel that the 800 number is burned in her screen.  My BIL is angry

Marnoot

• friend
? about plasma TV
« Reply #5 on: March 31, 2006, 12:13:34 PM »
The main downside to plasmas is that they fade over time, the blue faster than the other two colors. The phosphors in the tiny little "bulbs" become less phosphorescent over time. Of course this is balanced by the cost for bulb replacement for other types, so it just depends how long you're planning on keeping the television. Plasmas can't really be beat for their contrast either. I think the burn-in issue is much less of an issue on more recent models, as TarpleyG said; it can still occur, but you'd really have to leave an image on there for a good long while.

We've got DLP where I live and I really like it alot. The downside to DLP is the bulb cost every year or two, and if you move your eyes much during some scenes (mostly darker scenes with some bright spots in the scene) you can see a 'rainbow', this is due to the fact that red, green, and blue are refreshed in sequence rather than all at once. It doesn't bother me and I rarely notice it, but some people dislike them for that fact. LCD doesn't have the rainbow-effect, but I believe it is generally lower contrast than DLP.

brimic

• friends
? about plasma TV
« Reply #6 on: March 31, 2006, 12:52:43 PM »
Thanks for the replies. I'll skip the service plan then.
"now you see that evil will always triumph, because good is dumb" -Dark Helmet

"AK47's belong in the hands of soldiers mexican drug cartels"-
Barack Obama

Sylvilagus Aquaticus

• friend
    • http://profiles.yahoo.com/sylvilagus
? about plasma TV
« Reply #7 on: March 31, 2006, 08:04:17 PM »
One of the folks at work bought a new Fujitsu PDS-6101 Plasmavision for her new house last month.

Damned incredible.

61 diagonal inches of HD creamyness.  SWMBO was in awe, until I explained to her *how much it lists for*.

Yeah, it looks good.  On the other hand, all the TV's I have are paid for, and didn't cost what a new Corolla does.

I took my 10 year old Zenith projection tv in for service a couple of weeks ago. $160 and change for a couple of boards and an alignment. Started talking with the TV shop owner, who I've known awhile and trust. LCD is the way to go- they last longer, so far, than plasma screens do. The day I was there, he tossed 2 plasma TV's in the dumpster because the owner didn't want to spend the bucks to repair them, or they weren't repairable due to parts issues.  If you buy a new one, do your homework, spend a few bucks for a name brand over a discount store special. Reason? Parts and shop manuals. Seems that the WM Specials don't bother with replacement parts or tech manuals- they're considered 'replaceable as a unit' systems.  Anyone remember KLH 386 computers? Same story.

Besides, I figure I could buy 12 LCD 32 inchers for what that single 61 inch Fujitsu cost...but it sure looked good.

Regards,
Rabbit.
To punish me for my contempt for authority, fate made me an authority myself.
Albert Einstein

Harold Tuttle

• Professor Chromedome
  • friend
? about plasma TV
« Reply #8 on: April 01, 2006, 03:58:45 AM »
i would buy a cheap conventional TV and save up for the Carbon nano tube LED TVs that are in development right now
"The true mad scientist does not make public appearances! He does not wear the "Hello, my name is.." badge!
He strikes from below like a viper or on high like a penny dropped from the tallest building around!
He only has one purpose--Do bad things to good people! Mit science! What good is science if no one gets hurt?!"

TarpleyG

• friend
? about plasma TV
« Reply #9 on: April 01, 2006, 10:50:04 AM »
Yeah, LED will be awesome and they will be expensive, at first.  If you keep waiting for the latest technology, you'll never enjoy anything.

Greg

...has left the building.

? about plasma TV
« Reply #10 on: April 01, 2006, 11:27:56 AM »
I decided to go LCD instead of plasma...LCD is known to be more reliable and you can actually see it if there is any sunlight in the room. I went with the largest Aquos that Sharp makes.

Sylvilagus Aquaticus

• friend
    • http://profiles.yahoo.com/sylvilagus
? about plasma TV
« Reply #11 on: April 01, 2006, 12:42:51 PM »
Good choice, Daniel. I'm thinking Samsung, myself.

Regards,
Rabbit.
To punish me for my contempt for authority, fate made me an authority myself.
Albert Einstein

Werewolf

• friend
  • Lead, Follow or Get the HELL out of the WAY!
? about plasma TV
« Reply #12 on: April 01, 2006, 01:54:41 PM »
From what I've heard Plasma TV's work great for about 5 years or so. By then they've faded and lost their luster. Supposedly there's a way to bring 'em back to like new but the cost is almost as high as just buying a new one.

Don't know if its true or not. Might be urban legend for all I know.
Life is short, Break the rules, Forgive quickly, Kiss slowly, Love
truly, Laugh uncontrollably, And never regret anything that made you smile.

Fight Me Online

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
? about plasma TV
« Reply #13 on: April 01, 2006, 02:02:17 PM »
I have the 37" Aquos with the LCD panel from Sharp's new plant. Contrast is great. My living room gets really light in the afternoon, but this LCD keeps a great picture with no glare. I'm really glad I went LCD instead of plasma, though I have heard really great things about Pioneer plasma, and saw one at Costco. If I did go plasma, that's what I would have gotten. Another thing to keep in mind if you want to wall mount, LCDs are much lighter than equal size plasmas.
"I'm a foolish old man that has been drawn into a wild goose chase by a harpy in trousers and a nincompoop."

...has left the building.

? about plasma TV
« Reply #14 on: April 01, 2006, 07:06:56 PM »
Quote from: Sylvilagus Aquaticus
Good choice, Daniel. I'm thinking Samsung, myself.

Regards,
Rabbit.
Rabbit,

I am most definitely NOT a Samsung fan. I purchased a Samsung Hi-Def Conversion DVD player and it completely crapped out on me in about a year. You would turn the thing on and get nothing but a blue screen with a few pixels thrown about randomly. Until it died, it worked beautiful. Of course, this could be in no way an indication of their LCD TV quality. Those things did indeed look nice in the store.

Headless Thompson Gunner

• friend
? about plasma TV
« Reply #15 on: April 01, 2006, 09:53:22 PM »
No television is worth $2000.

Skip the $300 serive plan, use the money to buy a $300 TV.

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
? about plasma TV
« Reply #16 on: April 02, 2006, 03:18:37 AM »
I'll stick with my 32" Sanyo for the time being, thank you.

8 years old and still working like a trooper.
Carbon Monoxide, sucking the life out of idiots, 'tards, and fools since man tamed fire.

Harold Tuttle

• Professor Chromedome
  • friend
? about plasma TV
« Reply #17 on: April 02, 2006, 04:58:03 PM »
thats what is so wacky about these high end TVs

it used to be if you spent the big bucks on a Sony it ran like a trooper for 10 or more years

now you spend ridiculous money on something that burns out in a couple of years

the carbon Nano tube stuff is supposed to have more run time

time will tell
"The true mad scientist does not make public appearances! He does not wear the "Hello, my name is.." badge!
He strikes from below like a viper or on high like a penny dropped from the tallest building around!
He only has one purpose--Do bad things to good people! Mit science! What good is science if no one gets hurt?!"