Author Topic: Guitar help...  (Read 2451 times)

Mabs2

• friend
  • セクシー
    • iCarly
Guitar help...
« on: March 31, 2006, 07:12:24 AM »
Been playing for around three years so far, but there's one problem I haven't been able to overcome...
When I play barre chords (I believe that's the term...index finger covers whole fret, while other fingers are elsewhere) my thumb likes to explode in excruciating pain from the excess squeezing.  I don't have to squeeze this hard for other chords.
So it pans out that I can only play three or four good barre chords before I have to take a break from playing altogether.  
I think it's boiling down to not having enough strength in my thumb.
So!  Does anyone have any tips (Other than constantly playing barre chords) that will help me build thumb strength or otherwise eliminate this problem?  I can't impress the ladies if I'm crying like a grry boy. =(

Also, how do I pull off a harmonic?  Never been able to figure this out either.
Quote from: jamisjockey
Sunday it felt a little better, but it was quite irritated from me rubbing it.
Quote from: Mike Irwin
If you watch any of the really early episodes of the Porter Waggoner show she was in (1967) it's very clear that he was well endowed.
Quote from: Ben
Just wanted to give a forum thumbs up to Dick.

280plus

• friend
  • Ever get that sinking feeling?
Guitar help...
« Reply #1 on: March 31, 2006, 07:24:38 AM »
You are using too much pressure. Make sure your elbow is tucked in to your side not hanging out in mid air. All your fingers should be PERPENDICULAR to the strings and tucking the elbow fixes this. Barres are hard at first but with time you WILL get them. When you get the pain stop doing the chord immediately and shake it off. Then go back and try again. Forcing yourself to hold the chord while in pain can actually damage your hand.

A harmonic is achieved by lightly damping and relasing the string as it is plucked. 12th fret is easiest, try it there. Do NOT press the string down, just touch it.
 good luck!
Avoid cliches like the plague!

Strings

Guitar help...
« Reply #2 on: March 31, 2006, 07:43:25 AM »
and when he says "just touch it", we're talking BARELY touch it, and release as you pick...

Oddly enough, I found that running scales constantly helps with my endurance for chords. Also, set up chord progressions: hitting one chord can hurt, but a progression means you're moving your hand. Those are the thinga that helped me...

Mabs2

• friend
  • セクシー
    • iCarly
Guitar help...
« Reply #3 on: March 31, 2006, 07:54:44 AM »
Awesome, thanks guys.
Tucking my elbow in does help (I swear, I never realised I wasn't doing it, it feels like common sense to do this) with the sour notes, but the thumb still explodes eventually. sad
Harmonics are much easier, now, still going to take a bit of practice...it appears I misunderstood what I was supposed to be doing.
Whoops, almost forgot:
Oddly enough, I found that running scales constantly helps with my endurance for chords.
Could you elaborate on this?  Not too keen on the lingo. =p
If you watch any of the really early episodes of the Porter Waggoner show she was in (1967) it's very clear that he was well endowed.

280plus

• friend
Guitar help...
« Reply #4 on: March 31, 2006, 07:59:07 AM »
Definitely run scales! Scales are your friend. Learn to read too. It really helps and puts you a step above when it comes to the average guitar player.

Guitar help...
« Reply #5 on: March 31, 2006, 07:59:57 AM »
You can pick up a small, plastic 'brace' for your thumb, possibly at a pharmacy that sells minor orthotics. My wife has one for quilting. It prevents your thumb from bendng back against the joint. I'd try to describe its design but pictures are far, far better than words for these things.

Once you see one, you'll realize how simple they are and how hard they are to describe. Check out a pharmacy near you. They're likely to cost less than $4.

Bar chords are a pain, even without a sore thumb!

jb

Strings

Guitar help...
« Reply #6 on: March 31, 2006, 08:05:09 AM »
>Could you elaborate on this?  Not too keen on the lingo.<

scales are a series of notes in ascending order. If you want, I can email you a GTPro file of the scales I use...

Mabs2

• friend
  • セクシー
    • iCarly
Guitar help...
« Reply #7 on: March 31, 2006, 08:08:34 AM »
I'll keep a look out next time I go to the drug store for one of them guys.

As for the file, I'd greatly appreciate it. grin
mbs357@gmail.com
<3

280plus

• friend
Guitar help...
« Reply #8 on: March 31, 2006, 08:11:37 AM »
Scales are single notes in sequence represented by the letters A-G. Theres major scales, minor scales, and variations on all that as well. You want to start with the major scale and go from there. Try a search and see what comes up. Maybe "guitar major scale". If you really want to learn to play like the big boys you must learn this. When you hear your favorite guitar player rippin' through that solo, he's just playing some form of scale or another. But remember, if you become a big star you'll have to deal with the papparazzi and that whole mess. So be careful!

Ah I see hunter beat me.

Just remember keep that elbow in when you're doing them scales too!

Cheesy

Mabs2

• friend
  • セクシー
    • iCarly
Guitar help...
« Reply #9 on: March 31, 2006, 08:18:11 AM »
Ahh I know what you mean now.
Basically notes that go together.  I undarstand!!

Guitar help...
« Reply #10 on: March 31, 2006, 12:23:32 PM »
You might try getting a set of very light-gauge strings (.008-.038, high to low) and adjust them very low so that they almost buzz when struck. Make sure your neck is straight. Put a capo at the first fret, hold down each string at the 12th fret with your finger and look at the distance the string is from the sixth fret. It should just barely clear. If there is more than a slight gap, straighten the neck with the adjustment nut (usually under a cover by the strings) until the strings almost touch the sixth fret. Turn the nut clockwise to flatten a concave neck. Go easy...with the strings loosened.

With light strings, a straight neck and the strings about 1/16" over the twelfth fret, barre chords should be easier. Later, get bigger and bigger strings to improve tone.

( Edit: I changed the neck-straightness test after picking up my guitar and realizing that I hadn't described it correctly.)

Iain

• friend
Guitar help...
« Reply #11 on: March 31, 2006, 01:42:49 PM »
In my early barre chording days I once played an hour long jam with some friends based entirely on a 12 bar blues. All three of those chords were barres. I had no feeling in my left thumb for nearly a week. I was squeezing too hard.
I do not like, when with me play, and I think that you also

280plus

• friend
Guitar help...
« Reply #12 on: March 31, 2006, 04:00:48 PM »
Mercedes has a point. A high action will make barre chords more difficult. If your a relative newbie though I'd suggest finding a good local guitar repair place. Let them check it out and adjust if necessary.

.008s are  pretty light. What kind of guitar are we playing?

natedog

• friend
Guitar help...
« Reply #13 on: April 01, 2006, 01:47:42 PM »
Also, make sure that your barring finger (index) isn't ramrod straight. It should be very close to the fret, and slightly curved and rolled back so that the bone of your finger is pressing down. Remember, if you're playing an E-shape barre chord, like A-major

e---5
b---5
g---6
d---7
a---7
e---5

the only strings that your barring finger has to press down are the "E", "B", and "E strings". The other three are being fretted by your middle, ring, and pinky finger, so you should have your bar finger slightly curved up and over. If you di it this way, you won't need as much pressure on your bar finger.

http://www.cyberfret.com/

gunsmith

• I forgot to get vaccinated!
  • friend
  • I'm sorry, Dave. I'm afraid I can't do that.
Guitar help...
« Reply #14 on: April 01, 2006, 11:28:57 PM »
if you are not playing acoustic then start now.  It really builds up your strength and harmonics are so much easier... bar chords much more difficult but it make you stronger.
Politicians and bureaucrats are considered productive if they swarm the populace like a plague of locust, devouring all substance in their path and leaving a swath of destruction like a firestorm. The technical term is "bipartisanship".
Rocket Man: "The need for booster shots for the immunized has always been based on the science.  Political science, not medical science."

280plus

• friend
Guitar help...
« Reply #15 on: April 02, 2006, 05:48:35 AM »
One exercise is to take an open sheet of newspaper and crumple it together with one hand.

Massaging and stretching between the fingers, spreading them apart from each other individually is another. Place your other hand's four fingers palm downward in between each pair of fingers and massage and stretch them apart like that. I hope you can understand what I'm getting at. Hard to describe.

Mabs2

• friend
  • セクシー
    • iCarly
Guitar help...
« Reply #16 on: April 02, 2006, 11:21:37 AM »
A lot more great info.
Thanks for the picture, I'll put it to use.
I'm afraid the neck straightening tips don't help, as I play acoustic exclusively. grin I'll keep them in mind for when I do get an electric guitar, however.
The strings I have on my guitar now are Darco acoustics tens...I had lighter electric strings on them before but I didn't like the sound as much.  These are harder to barre than the last set, but when I do it right, they sound great.
Also, my problem isn't that my thumb just hurts, but when I play the chords, if I don't squeeze enough, I get sour notes...only when I squeeze hard enough to make the chord sound good does it hurt, so I'm sure I'm not squeezing too much (Unless I have improper form, which is possible.)
By the way, Nate, thanks for the site. \o/

Strings

Guitar help...
« Reply #17 on: April 02, 2006, 11:29:10 AM »
ask the folks at your local music shop for "Guitar Decks": they've got both chords and scales...

I can't find my GP file of scales. I'll try and get it worked up sometime tonight. GP (Guitar Pro 4) is a tablature software program, and you can find it at www.mysongbook.com Also good for those who want to learn covers via tab...