Author Topic: Duck Hunting Protester Shot in the Face  (Read 9068 times)

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
Duck Hunting Protester Shot in the Face
« on: March 20, 2011, 11:18:07 AM »
I'm somewhat torn on my thoughts regarding this story. On the one hand, anyone with a gun should know their target and what is beyond it. On the other hand, the story mentions her being "waist deep in water" which sounds a bit like the Rachel Corrie method of protesting.

This happened in Australia, but it would be interesting to read the investigation report. Some of the comments to the story were interesting. I'm sure the people who wrote them don't eat meat or wear leather.  ;/

Side note as full disclosure: Hunting protesters who protest by disrupting hunts are in my opinion, morons.

http://www.news.com.au/national/duck-protester-shot/story-e6frfkvr-1226024526110
"I'm a foolish old man that has been drawn into a wild goose chase by a harpy in trousers and a nincompoop."

Perd Hapley

• Superstar of the Internet
  • friend
  • My prepositions are on/in
Re: Duck Hunting Protester Shot in the Face
« Reply #1 on: March 20, 2011, 11:23:41 AM »
Some of the comments to the story were interesting. I'm sure the people who wrote them don't eat meat or wear leather.  ;/

Well, they sure haven't spent much time around animals.
No other animals kills for fun.
"Doggies are angel babies!" -- my wife

brimic

• friends
« Reply #2 on: March 20, 2011, 12:17:57 PM »
Not a good shoot, but I can't say I feel any remorse for the 'victim' - absolutely none at all.

I've run into these types once while goose hunting- there was a group of 4 that came in on public land and would stand up, scream, and wave their arms around whenever a fight of geese came over. They did bring shotguns and shot them straight up in the air whenever geese came within a mile of the hunting land. They pissed off a lot of people that morning, me and my buddy were the last ones left, after we went out for soe breakfast at 9AM, we noticed that these hoodlums start to walk back toward their vehcle as well.
"now you see that evil will always triumph, because good is dumb" -Dark Helmet

"AK47's belong in the hands of soldiers mexican drug cartels"-
Barack Obama

vaskidmark

• National Anthem Snob
  • friends
  • WTF?
« Reply #3 on: March 20, 2011, 12:20:30 PM »
FRom the article she was waist deep in water and got shot by a hunter aiming at a low-flying duck.  From the picture and description (pellets in face & hands, 1 tooth knocked out) it appears she was rather low, as was the duck.

Makes me wonder if she was practicing the same technique as some other protesters - hunker at water level and then pop up as shooters swing to fire.  Or was the shooter taking aim at a duck just about on the water?

In either case I'm betting she was where she did not have permission to be.  That does not excuse the hunter for a bad shot, but if she was not visible till the last instant I might beconvinced to put the blame entirely on her.

stay safe.
If cowardly and dishonorable men sometimes shoot unarmed men with army pistols or guns, the evil must be prevented by the penitentiary and gallows, and not by a general deprivation of a constitutional privilege.

Hey you kids!! Get off my lawn!!!

They keep making this eternal vigilance thing harder and harder.  Protecting the 2nd amendment is like playing PACMAN - there's no pause button so you can go to the bathroom.

Viking

• ❤︎ Fuck around & find out ❤︎
  • friend
  • Carnist Bloodmouth
« Reply #4 on: March 20, 2011, 12:39:53 PM »
Play stupid games, win stupid prizes.
“The modern world will not be punished. It is the punishment.” — Nicolás Gómez Dávila

41magsnub

• friend
  • Don't make me assume my ultimate form!
« Reply #5 on: March 20, 2011, 12:55:39 PM »
Ditto'ing the others.  Did not deserve to get shot but that is the risk of what they are doing.  No sympathy from me at all.

Perd Hapley

• friend
« Reply #6 on: March 20, 2011, 01:56:12 PM »

Viking, you're on a roll.  :lol:

Viking

• ❤︎ Fuck around & find out ❤︎
  • friend
  • Carnist Bloodmouth
« Reply #7 on: March 20, 2011, 01:58:17 PM »
Viking, you're on a roll.  :lol:
It sure fits though.
“The modern world will not be punished. It is the punishment.” — Nicolás Gómez Dávila

Hawkmoon

• friend
« Reply #8 on: March 20, 2011, 02:03:11 PM »
Ditto'ing the others.  Did not deserve to get shot but that is the risk of what they are doing.  No sympathy from me at all.

Not much info in the article, but IMHO it is entirely possible that she DID deserve to be shot. If she chose to position herself downrange where it was known that people would be shooting, what did she think was going to happen? Force fields are great in science fiction, but so far I haven't read that an effective, portable personal force field has been perfected and marketed to civilians.
- - - - - - - - - - - - -
100% Politically Incorrect by Design

Jocassee

• Buster Scruggs Respecter
  • friends
  • "First time?"
« Reply #9 on: March 20, 2011, 02:41:38 PM »
That does not excuse the hunter for a bad shot,

Who said anything about a bad shot?
I shall not die alone, alone, but kin to all the powers,
As merry as the ancient sun and fighting like the flowers.

RaspberrySurprise

• friend
  • Yub yub Commander
« Reply #10 on: March 20, 2011, 02:42:25 PM »
Kinda like trying to blame the train when it runs you over because you were screwing around on the tracks.
Look, tiny text!

roo_ster

• Kakistocracy--It's What's For Dinner.
  • friend
  • Hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats
« Reply #11 on: March 20, 2011, 02:53:14 PM »

Ayup.
Regards,

roo_ster

“Fallacies do not cease to be fallacies because they become fashions.”
----G.K. Chesterton

RocketMan

• Mad Rocket Scientist
  • friend
  • Semper Fidelis
« Reply #12 on: March 20, 2011, 03:03:22 PM »

There is much truth in that statement.
If there really was intelligent life on other planets, we'd be sending them foreign aid.

Conservatives see George Orwell's "1984" as a cautionary tale.  Progressives view it as a "how to" manual.

My wife often says to me, "You are evil and must be destroyed." She may be right.

Liberals believe one should never let reason, logic and facts get in the way of a good emotional argument.

Perd Hapley

• friend
« Reply #13 on: March 20, 2011, 03:14:44 PM »
Who said anything about a bad shot?

Well, it wasn't a clean kill...

Battle Monkey of Zardoz

• friends
  • A more Elegant Monkey for a more civilized Forum.
« Reply #14 on: March 20, 2011, 03:19:31 PM »
Stupid should hurt.
“We the people are the rightful masters of both Congress and the courts, not to overthrow the Constitution but to overthrow the men who pervert the Constitution.”

Abraham Lincoln

With the first link the chain is forged. The first speech censored, the first thought forbidden, the first freedom denied, chains us all irrevocably.

sanglant

• friend
« Reply #15 on: March 20, 2011, 03:56:59 PM »
for the rest of her far left life, she should be referred to as "Ms. Cheney". >:D

Jamisjockey

• Booze-fueled paragon of pointless cruelty and wanton sadism
  • friend
  • Your mom sends me care packages
« Reply #16 on: March 20, 2011, 04:24:27 PM »
I can't help but wonder if she intentionally got herself in a position to be shot.....
JD

The price of a lottery ticket seems to be the maximum most folks are willing to risk toward the dream of becoming a one-percenter. “Robert Hollis”

MillCreek

• Skippy The Wonder Dog
  • friend
  • APS Risk Manager
« Reply #17 on: March 20, 2011, 04:26:15 PM »
Kinda like trying to blame the train when it runs you over because you were screwing around on the tracks.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/S._Brian_Willson#Concord_protest_and_injuries

Concord protest and injuries

In 1987, while engaged in a protest of U.S. weapons to Central America, Willson and other members of a Veterans Peace Action Team blocked railroad tracks at the Concord, California Naval Weapons Station. An approaching train did not stop, and struck the veterans. Willson was hit, ultimately losing both legs below the knee while suffering a severe skull fracture with loss of his right frontal lobe. Subsequently, he discovered that he had been identified for more than a year as an FBI domestic "terrorist" suspect under President Reagan's anti-terrorist task force provisions and that the train crew that day had been ordered not to stop the train to prevent any Hijacking attempts. Willson filed a law suit contending that the Navy and individual supervisors were given ample warning of their plan to block the tracks, and that the train crew had time to stop—which the subsequent official Navy report confirmed. The train crew filed a law suit against Willson, requesting punitive damages for the "humiliation, mental anguish, and physical stress" they suffered as a result of the incident, which was dismissed. Willson later agreed to settle his lawsuit against the Government and train crew for $920,000. Willson now walks with prostheses.

Well, that left a mark.

Quote from: Angel Eyes on August 09, 2018, 01:56:15 AM
You are one lousy risk manager.

Phyphor

• friend
« Reply #18 on: March 20, 2011, 05:10:16 PM »
While I can't take joy in that idiot getting shot in the face, I do say that she shouldn't be receiving a red cent from the hunter for medical bills, considering what she did.

Plus, I wonder how the hunter feels?  Most sane people would feel horrible about accidentally shooting someone.
"You know what's messed-up about taxes?
You don't even pay taxes. They take tax.
You get your check, money gone.
That ain't a payment, that's a jack." - Chris Rock "Bigger and Blacker"
He slapped his rifle. "This is one of the best arguments for peace there is. Nobody wants to shoot if somebody is going to shoot back. " Callaghen, Callaghen, Louis La'mour

Perd Hapley

• friend
« Reply #19 on: March 20, 2011, 06:45:22 PM »
I still want to know how that duck came to be hunting that protester. I didn't know they did things like that. 

CNYCacher

• friend
« Reply #20 on: March 20, 2011, 06:48:59 PM »
How far away do you need to be from the shooter to only get 2 pellets in an area the size of her stupid head?  100 yards? 200?
On two occasions, I have been asked [by members of Parliament], "Pray, Mr. Babbage, if you put into the machine wrong figures, will the right answers come out?" I am not able to rightly apprehend the kind of confusion of ideas that could provoke such a question.
Charles Babbage

grampster

• friend
« Reply #21 on: March 20, 2011, 07:57:45 PM »
Going all in on certain positions have consequences at times. ;/
"Never wrestle with a pig.  You get dirty, and besides, the pig likes it."  G.B. Shaw

Jamie B

• friend
  • I am Abynormal
« Reply #22 on: March 20, 2011, 10:10:48 PM »
I am calling BS on this one.

These are the type of idiots who would stab themselves with a sharp stick for attention to their cause, then blame the hunters.
Greatness lies not in being strong, but in the right use of strength - Henry Ward Beecher

The Almighty tells me He can get me out of this mess, but He’s pretty sure you’re f**ked! - Stephen

Scout26

• I'm a leaf on the wind.
  • friend
  • I spent a week in that town one night....
« Reply #23 on: March 20, 2011, 11:06:29 PM »
Yep, Not a good shoot, she still has her hat on.... >:D

At least in Illinois doing something that dumb is criminally stupid.  Hunters can and have call the police and had people arrested for interfering with a legal hunt/hunters.   IIRC, there is a mandatory minimum fine and jail time for being dumb in a no stupid zone. 

She's damn lucky all she'll end up with is a false tooth and some interesting scars.  I wonder what will happen if the next one ends up dead.

And yes, she should pay for the hunter therapy bills.
Some days even my lucky rocketship underpants won't help.

Bring me my Broadsword and a clear understanding.
Get up to the roundhouse on the cliff-top standing.
Take women and children and bed them down.
Bless with a hard heart those that stand with me.
Bless the women and children who firm our hands.
Put our backs to the north wind.
Hold fast by the river.
Sweet memories to drive us on,
for the motherland.

BridgeRunner

• friend
« Reply #24 on: March 20, 2011, 11:08:40 PM »
Pretty sure MI has statutes specifically addressing disrupting a hunt for the purpose of protest/harassment.