Author Topic: ALL HAIL MY DESPOTIC LEADERSHIP!  (Read 4233 times)

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
ALL HAIL MY DESPOTIC LEADERSHIP!
« on: March 31, 2006, 09:30:12 AM »
The community property manager just called me.

For the past several years we've been racking up charges on a homeowner who just decided that she didn't need to pay her association fees anymore. We also had to charge her to have a huge pile of crap removed from her back yard.

We've had a lien in place for at least 5 years, now, and every month with interest and late fees it just kept getting bigger.

She paid off in full about an hour ago, almost $5,000.

She must have been quaking in terror at the prospects of dealing with me!

MMMMMMMMMMMMMMWWWWWWWWWWWWWHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA!
Carbon Monoxide, sucking the life out of idiots, 'tards, and fools since man tamed fire.

Werewolf

• friend
  • Lead, Follow or Get the HELL out of the WAY!
« Reply #1 on: March 31, 2006, 09:51:08 AM »
And that is why homeowner associations SUCK!

Might as well live in the old Soviet Union as live in a neighborhood with an association/covenant.

Run by busy bodies and tyrants...

You all oughta be hoisted by your own petards and whipped until you bleed!
Life is short, Break the rules, Forgive quickly, Kiss slowly, Love
truly, Laugh uncontrollably, And never regret anything that made you smile.

Fight Me Online

Sindawe

• friend
  • Vashneesht
« Reply #2 on: March 31, 2006, 10:01:53 AM »
Mike, you can not truly be a Despot until you've promulgated Rules & Regulations for your HOA that control what kind of window coverings people can use in their homes and the size and manner of display of political signage.

Like my HOA did.

AIn't pOweR GrAnd? <<>>
I am free, no matter what rules surround me. If I find them tolerable, I tolerate them; if I find them too obnoxious, I break them. I am free because I know that I alone am morally responsible for everything I do.

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
« Reply #3 on: March 31, 2006, 10:14:22 AM »
Hey Werewolf, we'll just start by saying you don't know what the *expletive deleted*ck you're talking about, and then we'll quantify it by saying...

What do you think happens to your home if you don't pay your local property taxes?

A lien is placed on the property and eventually it's sold at sheriff's sale. Plus, you can end up going to jail.

What happens if you don't pay your income taxes? You run the risk of become the bum buddy of some guy in either the state or federal prison system. Plus, the government puts what amounts to a lien on your wages -- a garnishment -- until you've fulfilled your responsibilities.

But what it looks like you're trying to tell us is that you actually favor people reneging on their obligations, and essentially getting a free ride on the backs of those who are adult enough and responsible enough to fulfill the contracts into which they've entered.

Let me guess, you're a member of the Demo "Lazy people truly deserve a free ride on the backs of the industrious" cratic Party.

No one in my community held a gun to the woman's head and said "HEY BITCH! YOU'RE GOING TO BUY THIS HOUSE!" when she signed on the dotted line. She entered into the contract willingly.

We even attempted to communicate with her numerous times over the issue. Personal conversations, letters, letters from the attorney... Let us know what's going on and maybe we can work something out... She would never even respond to you when you addressed her directly.

These claims that HOAs are nothing more than a return to Soviet style politics shows just how little people actually know about HOAs, how much power the INDIVIDUAL homeowner can exercise in his/her HOA, and how HOAs are, in many cases, a far more indicative of a representative republic than government in general.

These calls are usually made by people who, if they did live in an HOA, would likely be far too lazy to become involved in the running of the HOA, preferring instead to bitch, moan, and whine.

The only person who should be whipped is you, for prescribing to the "God favors the shiftless, lazy, and indolent, and it's my responsibility to support the shifty, lazy, and indolent by shelling more money out of my own pocket" theory of social interaction.

THAT theory, son, is FAR close to the Soviet theory of government, but it's not at all surprising that you neither knew that nor understood it.

rolleyes
Carbon Monoxide, sucking the life out of idiots, 'tards, and fools since man tamed fire.

jefnvk

• friend
  • I'll sleep away the days and ride the nights...
« Reply #4 on: March 31, 2006, 10:22:09 AM »
So, if anyone tries that not paying crap with you, you really oughta just make them disappear Smiley
I still say 'Give Detroit to Canada'

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
« Reply #5 on: March 31, 2006, 10:28:36 AM »
"window coverings people can use in their homes and the size and manner of display of political signage."

From our HOA R&R...

Window coverings -- Plywood sheeting, if left in place longer than 1 month, must be painted a color complementary to that of the surrounding brick or siding."

Political signage -- If you want to support the chumps who run for office in this area, have at it. Republican/Libertarian signs are strictly forbidden.

National flags -- It is strictly forbidden, under any circumstance, to fly the flag of the United States of America. Approved flags are ONLY those of the former Soviet Union or one of its communist satellites or the current flags of the People's Republic of China, the People's Republic of Vietnam, the People's Republic of North Korea, or the People's Republic of Cuba.

Special exceptions may be made for the flags of Venezuela, Myanmar, or Iran. The Iraqi and Afghani flags are no longer authorized.

All homes are REQUIRED to fly, at all times, the flag of the great surrender monkey, France.

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
« Reply #6 on: March 31, 2006, 10:30:31 AM »
"So, if anyone tries that not paying crap with you, you really oughta just make them disappear."

There are some people who should disappear, but they don't live in my community...

Tops on the list are those who think it's OK for someone to reneg on their obligations and allow everyone else to pick up the slack.

TarpleyG

• friend
« Reply #7 on: March 31, 2006, 10:32:36 AM »
Just try buying a newer home anywhere nowadays WITHOUT belonging to an HOA.  Almost impossible.  We are moving to NC at the end of next month and there is nothing up there built after 1990 that isn't in a HOA.  Fees up there and the restrictiveness is nothing like it is here in Florida though.  Just ask me about waiting at a "security" gate to get to a friends house for over 30 minutes one night.  I would never do that to my friends and what do they do anyway (look at your ID and let you go like criminals don't have IDs too).  But hey, they feel safe and that's all that matters.

Greg

Phantom Warrior

• friend
« Reply #8 on: March 31, 2006, 10:37:20 AM »
Question.  I haven't purchased a house yet, so I'm not familiar w/ HOAs.  If you move into an area w/ a HOA, are you required to be a member of the HOA?  Can you buy a house in the area and NOT be a member of the HOA?

Harold Tuttle

• Professor Chromedome
  • friend
« Reply #9 on: March 31, 2006, 11:01:02 AM »
the whole neighborhood is part of Landru HOA collective

the kool aide tastes great!
"The true mad scientist does not make public appearances! He does not wear the "Hello, my name is.." badge!
He strikes from below like a viper or on high like a penny dropped from the tallest building around!
He only has one purpose--Do bad things to good people! Mit science! What good is science if no one gets hurt?!"

El Tejon

• friend
    • http://www.kirkfreemanlaw.com
« Reply #10 on: March 31, 2006, 11:09:30 AM »
DEATH TO THOSE THAT DO NOT COMPLY!!!

Burn their Country and Western music, drive them from their televisions, scrub them down with wire brushes and soap until their NASCAR tattoos bleed, force them to brush and floss, imprison them in a library (or at least make them take better care of their property)!

All Hail Fearless Leader.  On behalf of all property owners who must deal with these people, we are proud of you.Smiley
I do not smoke pot, wear Wookie suits, live in my mom's basement, collect unemployment checks or eat Cheetoes, therefore I am not a Ron Paul voter.

mtnbkr

• friend
« Reply #11 on: March 31, 2006, 11:17:58 AM »
El T, make fun of the rednecks all you want, but it's frequently the yuppie scum who abuse their property in ways that create eyesores as well.  Usually because "they're too busy to do yardwork" or at least pick up the garbage that's accumulating...

Chris

USP45usp

• friend
« Reply #12 on: March 31, 2006, 11:20:54 AM »
I would never buy a home with an HOA.  I will not allow someone to tell me what I can and can't do with my home and land that I paid for.

And that includes the state, which is why Oregonians voted for and passed Measure 37.

USP45usp

Gewehr98

• friend
  • Yee-haa!
    • Neural Misfires (Blog)
« Reply #13 on: March 31, 2006, 11:35:15 AM »
Just try buying a newer home anywhere nowadays WITHOUT belonging to an HOA.
It can be done. I will not move into an HOA-controlled neighborhood.  Period.

Then again, I'd like to see an HOA try to invade the rural settings of my homeland in farm country.  They'd be laughed out of my hometown so fast with their "you're hurting my property values" sniveling.  That John Deere Model B in my yard is there for a purpose, it's my bread and butter, deal with it. Fork you and your precious property value. I didn't ask you to move next to me on County Trunk A and bring your prima-donna HOA BS with you.

My opinion differs with Mike's on his take that neighborhoods need HOA's to survive and prosper. Sure, we always need more government.  I've lived in too many locations in this great country of ours that didn't have them, and did just fine without them, to find any value added. By all means, if that particular neighborhood has enough titty-babies to actually agree and sign on the dotted line to form one, they certainly deserve what they get, and should not be surprised if the HOA gets over-zealous or abusive vs. being benevolent as expected. They're the frogs who actually agreed to be placed in the pot of ever-so-warmer water. I do agree with Mike in that HOA's are simply neighborhoods that form a private agreement among homeowners to police each other, and as such it's a binding contract. If you don't like it, either don't move there or simply move away.

There's one not to far from me now (Indian River Colony) that charges HOA members over $500/month in fees. They'd better come change my skivvies each day for that kind of money. Now that the housing bubble is deflating in Florida and elsewhere, it'll be interesting to see how home buyers tolerate stuff like that.
"Bother", said Pooh, as he chambered another round...

http://neuralmisfires.blogspot.com

"Never squat with your spurs on!"

mtnbkr

• friend
« Reply #14 on: March 31, 2006, 11:37:13 AM »
I would never buy a home with an HOA
Then you probably wouldn't own a home in Northern Virginia.  For better or worse, that's how it works out.  There might be places that don't have HOAs, but they are the exception.

I'm not crazy about the idea myself, but at least the HOA I live under is pretty benign.  There's nothing in the rules that gets in my way.  The few times I've gotten notices from the HOA, I've agreed that the situation needed work (my fence was leaning, I had some mildew on the siding, etc) and that I'd get to it when I had time.  In every instance, the HOA was fine with that response and didn't bother me again.  

As a positive, they do an excellent job of keeping the neighborhood looking nice, maintaining playground equipment, and maintaining a nice pool facility.  

In addition, as a property owner, I have a nice tax writeoff and am insulated from the insane rent increases that drove me to buy a house in the first place (last apt wanted to raise the rent on a 1 bedroom apt from $850 to $1100!).  When I bought this place, displeasure with the HOA rules would've gotten me out of my purchase contract at any point prior to me signing the agreement to live by those rules.  I was given all the time I needed to read the rules and decide for myself.

Chris

El Tejon

• friend
« Reply #15 on: March 31, 2006, 11:39:21 AM »
KILL ALL YUPPIE SCUM WHO REFUSE TO DO YARDWORK!!!

Burn their New Age music, drive them back to their homes and make them do yardwork (or have their wives call the lawn care service where them dern emmygrants do the work), make them scrub their latte makers, force them to untuck their shirts and not wear natural fibers, imprison them in a Wal-Mart!

All Hail Fearless Leader--Destroyer of Property Slobs whether they be Yankees or Southerners!
I do not smoke pot, wear Wookie suits, live in my mom's basement, collect unemployment checks or eat Cheetoes, therefore I am not a Ron Paul voter.

El Tejon

• friend
« Reply #16 on: March 31, 2006, 11:46:24 AM »
Of course, we wouldn't need HOA if people were educated and considerate of others.  Price we pay for not having a Fearless Leader that could summarily excute hilljacks for parking trucks in their yards, leaving their trashcans visible from the street or letting their property go.

I do not understand why these people move into nice neighborhoods to begin with.  If you want to sit around and watch television all day and not care about your property, then stay in the country and don't move to foofooville.

I'm off to polish my HOA jackboots and then attend the torchlight ceremony for Mike Irwin tonight.  Hang the banners high.

mtnbkr

• friend
« Reply #17 on: March 31, 2006, 11:54:37 AM »
I think part of the problem in discussions about HOAs is that most of the folks who dislike them don't live in neighborhoods with as much density as those who see them as acceptable.  There's a difference between having a messy neighbor's yard 50yds from your front door and one that's 5 yards from your front door.  Slovenly living tends to have a greater impact on your neighbors here.  

Here's a pic of my view from the office window.  While it doesn't look that dense from here because we're right at an intersection, it's much tighter once you get up into the street across from us.  BTW, our cherry tree is blossoming, ain't it purty...

Chris

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
« Reply #18 on: March 31, 2006, 11:55:50 AM »
"My opinion differs with Mike's on his take that neighborhoods need HOA's to survive and prosper."

Care to point me to where I said that?

Hint...

I DIDN'T.

280plus

• friend
  • Ever get that sinking feeling?
« Reply #19 on: March 31, 2006, 12:03:15 PM »
My, how idyllic...
Avoid cliches like the plague!

Gewehr98

• friend
  • Yee-haa!
    • Neural Misfires (Blog)
« Reply #20 on: March 31, 2006, 12:08:54 PM »
Chris, you're absolutely correct about the density thing.  To me, the photo illustrates the "aholes 'n elbows" kind of close.  I've seen closer, particularly in my many trips to Japan, but neither is a place I will ever live, as long as I'm drawing breath.  I'm partial to mankind, but not that partial.  

I've even forsaken my TS/SSBI security clearance in my post-retirement job search, because more often than not, it points directly to the Washington D.C./Virginia/Maryland neck of the woods.  Chantilly doesn't even appeal to me.

bermbuster

• friend
« Reply #21 on: March 31, 2006, 12:09:18 PM »
Those are homes?  It looks like an apartment complex.

client32

• friend
« Reply #22 on: March 31, 2006, 12:11:25 PM »
I've never lived in an area with an HOA.  However, I would like for my nieghbors accross the street to fix up that dump a little.  It is a big reason for our current asking price.  

Overall, I can see some benefits of an HOA.
Admit nothing, deny everything, make counter-accusations - APS homepage 3/4/05 - 5/20/05

Never ask a man where he is from. If he is from Texas he will tell you. If he isn't there's no need to embarass him.

Gewehr98

• friend
  • Yee-haa!
    • Neural Misfires (Blog)
« Reply #23 on: March 31, 2006, 12:13:55 PM »
My opinion differs with Mike's on his take that neighborhoods need HOA's to survive and prosper."

Care to point me to where I said that?

Hint...

I DIDN'T.
So you stepped up to the plate as chief HOA Kool-Aid mixer for patriotic purposes? Wink

Gewehr98

• friend
  • Yee-haa!
    • Neural Misfires (Blog)
« Reply #24 on: March 31, 2006, 12:25:50 PM »
Just so folks realize I'm not living in a vacuum somewhere, here's a pic taken from the family homestead, looking down the street towards the neighbors:

The neighbors on the far side of the dividing pine trees are just over an acre away from our house.  No HOA, and they're all pretty tidy and considerate.

Now, if folks want to get all sorts of cozy and close to each other in their abodes, there's a time and place for that.  I noticed some improvements are warranted when I saw these structures below. Maybe an HOA would be just the cat's meow here, for at least a few months out of the year when the ice is thick enough towards the North Shore of Devil's Lake: