Author Topic: ALL HAIL MY DESPOTIC LEADERSHIP!  (Read 4232 times)

mtnbkr

• friend
ALL HAIL MY DESPOTIC LEADERSHIP!
« Reply #25 on: March 31, 2006, 12:29:56 PM »
Chantilly doesn't even appeal to me
I wouldn't live in Chantilly either.  Dunno when the last time you were hear was, but it's as bad or worse than the pic above.  

Those are homes?
Those are $350k townhomes.  Scary ain't it?  

Chris

mtnbkr

• friend
« Reply #26 on: March 31, 2006, 12:35:25 PM »
Gewehr98, the only places with that much open space here are parks (talking about the pic of your place).  Even the neighborhoods with "single family homes" don't have a third of that much space between them.  Some of them have fewer than 10ft between houses.  If you have an acre of land, it's because you live in a McMansion that covers half of it and costs $1.5mil or more.

I personally wouldn't live like this elsewhere, but the alternative for this area is pissing away an equal amount of money in rent.  At least this way I get the tax writeoff and appreciation (about $200k if I sold it now).

Chris

Gewehr98

• friend
  • Yee-haa!
    • Neural Misfires (Blog)
« Reply #27 on: March 31, 2006, 12:39:54 PM »
Chantilly was one of my options, due to a job offer at the (non-existent) NRO.  A close friend of mine bought a house nearby in Warrenton.  One could pass the soap between bathroom windows, they're so close to each other.  The money was pretty good, but I had to put a value on smelling the neighbor's mystery meat dinner, or the mom next door cussing out her kids with words that make a sailor blush.  So I'll take a lower-paying job in a location with some real elbow room, money isn't everything. Sad
"Bother", said Pooh, as he chambered another round...

http://neuralmisfires.blogspot.com

"Never squat with your spurs on!"

grampster

• friend
« Reply #28 on: March 31, 2006, 12:47:59 PM »
I live in the country, on a lake.  We have a HOA.  It has NO rules.  It publishes a newsletter thrice a year ( I wrote it for about 10 years.) and engages in harmeless activities as having a "Trash Day" when they've collected enough of our $25.00 a year dues to afford shipping in a dumpster or two, (we have to post guards if they're left the night before the collection day as the nearby yokels haul all their crap over and fill up the dumpsters after midnight-can you say drink beer by campfire?) and suggests that folks not use fertilizer with phosphorous in it or rake their leaves into the lake.  (You wouldn't believe the scum that believe the right thing to do is to rake their leaves into the lake because they're two damn lazy to pull them up to the road on a tarp and burn them).

Lately, the Yuppie Scum that have been fleeing the city, have been agatating to increase our taxes by having a "Road Millage" to pave our nice sand and gravel roads.  After we parked some junk trucks with some really bad looking dogs tied to them in strategic places around their houses, they quietly excused themselves.  Yeesh, the next thing they'll want are street lights and jogging paths.  On the other hand street lights and joggers make for interesting venue's for pellet plinking.
"Never wrestle with a pig.  You get dirty, and besides, the pig likes it."  G.B. Shaw

Gewehr98

• friend
  • Yee-haa!
    • Neural Misfires (Blog)
« Reply #29 on: March 31, 2006, 12:49:38 PM »
The pic of the tall hard maples and crimson king maples is the family homestead in Wisconsin.  The property sits on 5 acres in the township.  If you look at the tops of the mailboxes, those are rural fire sign numbers, vs. street addresses. The tin-roofed house, while newly-remodeled, is about 120 years old, and there's a barn and several out-buildings on the acreage, too.  Most of the houses on that road are of about the same vintage.

It's assessed at around $175K.  

My wife and I are looking not too far from the above property at a dormant apple orchard, 23.5 acres, nice old farmhouse, barn, detached garage, workshop, etc.  They're asking $219K.  My Air Force pension and VA loan would cover that nicely.  

Contrast that to what I'm seeing down here in Florida, where what passes as a new house in Viera sells for $400K, with considerably less floor space, and maybe a 1/4 acre lot, if you're lucky.  Smell the neighbor's farts, if you're not so lucky.  Brevard County really cannot afford these places, so we're wondering who's buying them.  The foreclosure rates are skyrocketing, and it doesn't surprise me.  My wife is tickled pink that she's getting paid $15/hour for her Miller Beer distributorship sales assistant job, the wages are low here, unless you're tied to Cape Canaveral and the space program via US Space Alliance, Lockheed, Boeing, Harris, or Northrop-Grumman.  

Can't wait to leave, myself.  Wink

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
« Reply #30 on: March 31, 2006, 01:41:12 PM »
"So you stepped up to the plate as chief HOA Kool-Aid mixer for patriotic purposes?"

No, I stepped up to the plate to GLOAT, as a responsible individual who has kept my property in (relatively) good repair and my association fees up to date, instead of being a scum sucking leech and figuring that "hey, I don't have to worry about it, someone else will shoulder my load for me."

You know, I'm kind of surprised that a career militaryman wouldn't know what I'm talking about.
Carbon Monoxide, sucking the life out of idiots, 'tards, and fools since man tamed fire.

Gewehr98

• friend
  • Yee-haa!
    • Neural Misfires (Blog)
« Reply #31 on: March 31, 2006, 02:04:23 PM »
C'mon, Mike, let's not make it personal.  That's low, and I hadn't expected a slam on my military persona so soon, especially from somebody I considered a friend.

I also fail to see what correlation military decorum and proper stewardship of military equipment purchased by government tax dollars has to do with greedy neighbors worried solely about their property values while berating those around them. I do understand sarcasm, and it appears to have transitioned in this thread into a Mike Irwin "I like f&#@ing with those who don't like HOAs, let's see how far I can take this".

That facade, and the last response fired in my direction, has turned my stomach tonight. Before I risk pissing away any more friendships on the topic, I'll bow out with an "I'll agree to disagree on the value of HOAs and their motives".   Good night.

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
« Reply #32 on: March 31, 2006, 03:23:49 PM »
That wasn't a personal comment, Gew, and it certainly wasn't a slam on your military service.

The correlation between the military and the HOA is that in both, the relationship is one of agreed-upon, accepted, and respected interdependent cooperation between the members.

In an HOA, one member who suddenly decides that "hey, I made a conscious commitment and accepted obligation to my neighbors, but I've decided that I now don't want to honor it" can have a significant impact on his neighbors, financially and socially.

In the military, the breaking of those conscious commitments and accepted obligations can be far more devastating.

You, as an officer, have likely seen, or are at least familiar with, what happens to a unit when its cohesion begins to crumble from one or two individuals who decide that teamwork isn't really important anymore.

At the same time, that decay can also start at the top and work its way down. Band of Brothers showed that in the first two episodes where members of Easy Company actively talked about fragging Sobel, and where the sergeants attempted to turn in their stripes.

The same thing can happen with an HOA -- a board can become draconian, a group of martinets. Those are the HOAs that make the news when they finally become so over the top that the membership breaks.

I just wish that people wouldn't use those instances that do make CNN, FOX, etc., as the sole basis for their concept of what HOAs are and do.

That's about as logical as seeing a news report about the recent shootings in Seattle, and with no other basis for the decision, become stridently anti-gun.

In turn, that's about as logical as saying, in effect, "one HOA is the same as the next, and they're all bad" so I never want to live in one.

The comparisons of HOAs to a Soviet-style goverment do nothing but expose the depth and breadth of an individual's ignorance.

If that is truly to be believed, then Grampster is nothing more than a bald-faced liar, because no HOA could function in such a loose and informal manner, and in fact he's covering up the depth of his own lust for power.
Carbon Monoxide, sucking the life out of idiots, 'tards, and fools since man tamed fire.

Kestrel

• friend
« Reply #33 on: March 31, 2006, 06:34:39 PM »
Mike,

I've got you beat. There is a house on my very street, that has approximately $30,000 in HOA fees levied against them (and a lien.) That's not a misprint - $30,000. Unbelievable.

Firethorn

• friend
  • Where'd my explosive space modulator go?
« Reply #34 on: April 01, 2006, 06:13:02 AM »
The military comment reminded me.  I didn't comment before, as I live off base, but any military member who has either lived in the dorms or in base housing should be fairly familiar with HOA type practices.  Not fees, but can you imagine being called in front of the shirt and asked to explain why your grass is 1/8" too high?  The poor dorm rats get monthly suprise inspections.

Personally, I prefer slightly longer grass as it helps keep the weeds out without the need for chemicals. Wink

grampster

• friend
« Reply #35 on: April 01, 2006, 06:25:01 AM »
Gasp!  Mike has seen through my gentle facade and now I'm in danger of being kidnapped and murdered because of my incremental positioning for absolute power has been exposed.

Damn you, Mike, damn you to hell I say!   Tongue
"Never wrestle with a pig.  You get dirty, and besides, the pig likes it."  G.B. Shaw

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
« Reply #36 on: April 01, 2006, 07:07:48 AM »
Don't worry, Grampster...

Simply hoist the red Hammer and Sickle HOA Emergency Banner and I'll speed out your way with my tank just in time to crush the spring uprising...

TarpleyG

• friend
« Reply #37 on: April 01, 2006, 10:00:39 AM »
Brevard County really cannot afford these places, so we're wondering who's buying them.
I keep telling people that the Florida market is about to tank.  It has begun it's decline already.  We just sold our house for $20,000 less than I could have probably gotten this time last year.

Answer this question:  What happens when all the waiters, mechanics, hotel employees, car wash dudes, lawn cutting guys, et al cannot afford to buy a house for $350,000 in south Florida?  They're going to pack their crap and leave.  What happens to the snooty rich crowd when they don't have people to attend to their every need?  They're going to pack their crap and leave.  Soon enough, the housing market plummets...we are in the beginning stages of that plummet now...like being at the very top of a roller coaster about to go off the edge...frightening image huh?

So long south Florida...I am sure I'll miss the warm climate and pretty beaches (sorry Standing Wolf).  FWIW, don't EVER move here if you value your sanity.

Greg