Author Topic: Terrorism? O RLY?  (Read 7239 times)

AZRedhawk44

• friends
Terrorism? O RLY?
« on: March 21, 2011, 06:09:04 PM »
http://www.citizen-times.com/article/20110319/NEWS01/110319006/1001/news/Liberty-Dollar-fake-currency-creator-convicted-federal-court?odyssey=nav|head

The leader of a group that marketed a fake currency called Liberty Dollars in the Asheville area and elsewhere has been found guilty by a federal jury of conspiracy against the government in a case of “domestic terrorism.”

Wow.

Domestic Terrorism.

What a load of crap.

I remember this guy from a few years ago... his Liberty Dollars had a lot of things wrong with them.  I believe he put the "$" symbol on them, and also tried to deliberately equate them against a certain value of FRN (Federal Reserve Notes... what we consider "dollars" today).  That was just stoopid.

I grant that he's guilty of perhaps some forms of counterfeiting.  Or minting without a permit, or something like that.

But... domestic terrorism?  For giving people (who all SUPPORT his stance that the FedReserve is a load of crap and FREELY chose to associate/trade using precious metals rather than green-died paper) an alternative currency?

These people could have done the exact same thing with US Mint coins.

This is what you get with the "ra ra let's go Bush yay Patriot Act!" ramrod mentality after September 2001.  [barf]

"But whether the Constitution really be one thing, or another, this much is certain - that it has either authorized such a government as we have had, or has been powerless to prevent it. In either case, it is unfit to exist."
--Lysander Spooner

I reject your authoritah!

Fly320s

• friend
  • Formerly, Arthur, King of the Britons
Re: Terrorism? O RLY?
« Reply #1 on: March 21, 2011, 06:11:13 PM »
Who was terrorized?  ???

I fail to see how even that catch-all charge would be applied in this case.
Islamic sex dolls.  Do they blow themselves up?

cassandra and sara's daddy

• friends
« Reply #2 on: March 21, 2011, 06:12:00 PM »
i think undermining a countries currency is a long established methodology and prosecution of it predates the patriot act
It is much more powerful to seek Truth for one's self.  Seeing and hearing that others seem to have found it can be a motivation.  With me, I was drawn because of much error and bad judgment on my part. Confronting one's own errors and bad judgment is a very life altering situation.  Confronting the errors and bad judgment of others is usually hypocrisy.

by someone older and wiser than I

vaskidmark

• National Anthem Snob
  • friends
  • WTF?
« Reply #3 on: March 21, 2011, 07:15:55 PM »
i think undermining a countries currency is a long established methodology and prosecution of it predates the patriot act

Given and seeing as how far he got and how widesprewad the acceptance of the Liberty Dollars wasa (NOT!) I fail to see how anyone could accuse him of undermining the currency.

At best he's using his version of Momopoly Money to keep track of barter agreements.

Or is bartering also undermining the currency, per the Interstate Commerce Clause? [/snark] (well, masybe /snark)

stay safe.

If cowardly and dishonorable men sometimes shoot unarmed men with army pistols or guns, the evil must be prevented by the penitentiary and gallows, and not by a general deprivation of a constitutional privilege.

Hey you kids!! Get off my lawn!!!

They keep making this eternal vigilance thing harder and harder.  Protecting the 2nd amendment is like playing PACMAN - there's no pause button so you can go to the bathroom.

Waitone

• friend
« Reply #4 on: March 21, 2011, 07:23:37 PM »
The federales and the FED can not tolerate the existence of any medium of exchange other than the dollar.  What will be interesting to watch is what happens after a few states pass legislation which permits the acceptance of gold or silver in payment of state taxes.  Curiously just such a law was proposed in NC, the state where the trial took place.
"Men, it has been well said, think in herds. It will be seen that they go mad in herds, while they only recover their senses slowly, and one by one."
- Charles Mackay, Scottish journalist, circa 1841

"Our society is run by insane people for insane objectives. I think we're being run by maniacs for maniacal ends and I think I'm liable to be put away as insane for expressing that. That's what's insane about it." - John Lennon

Boomhauer

• Former Moderator, fired for embezzlement and abuse of power
  • friends
« Reply #5 on: March 21, 2011, 07:26:28 PM »
Given and seeing as how far he got and how widesprewad the acceptance of the Liberty Dollars wasa (NOT!) I fail to see how anyone could accuse him of undermining the currency.

At best he's using his version of Momopoly Money to keep track of barter agreements.

Or is bartering also undermining the currency, per the Interstate Commerce Clause? [/snark] (well, masybe /snark)

stay safe.

Affecting interstate commerce! Affecting interstate commerce! I KNOW the courts could find bartering against the law if a case came before them.

This is where we see the government start using "Domestic Terrorism" to start cracking down on it's opponents. You've already seen them start using the frickin' TSA (the finest butt of jokes up until the last couple of years)...just wait, it's going to get a whole lot more interesting.

Quote from: Ben
Holy hell. It's like giving a loaded gun to a chimpanzee...

Quote from: bluestarlizzard
the last thing you need is rabies. You're already angry enough as it is.

OTOH, there wouldn't be a tweeker left in Georgia...

Quote from: Balog
BLOOD FOR THE BLOOD GOD! SKULLS FOR THE SKULL THRONE! AND THROW SOME STEAK ON THE GRILL!

longeyes

• friend
« Reply #6 on: March 21, 2011, 07:31:39 PM »
He's guilty but Ben Bernanke is guiltless?  Hmmm.
"Domari nolo."

Thug: What you lookin' at old man?
Walt Kowalski: Ever notice how you come across somebody once in a while you shouldn't have messed with? That's me.

Molon Labe.

MicroBalrog

• friend
« Reply #7 on: March 21, 2011, 08:28:51 PM »
Is there any criminal activity that is actually not terrorism?
Destroy The Enemy in Hand-to-Hand Combat.

"...tradition and custom becomes intertwined and are a strong coercion which directs the society upon fixed lines, and strangles liberty. " ~ William Graham Sumner

Zardozimo Oprah Bannedalas

• Webley Juggler
  • friend
  • All I got is a fistful of shekels
« Reply #8 on: March 21, 2011, 08:54:39 PM »
Is there any criminal activity that is actually not terrorism?
Prostitution?

Tallpine

• friends
  • Grumpy Old Grandpa
« Reply #9 on: March 21, 2011, 08:59:21 PM »
Once you realize that we live in a tyrannical police state, nothing really surprises you anymore.
Freedom is a heavy load, a great and strange burden for the spirit to undertake. It is not easy. It is not a gift given, but a choice made, and the choice may be a hard one. The road goes upward toward the light; but the laden traveller may never reach the end of it.  - Ursula Le Guin

Seenterman

• friend
« Reply #10 on: March 23, 2011, 10:05:51 AM »
Prostitution?
Try again terrorist. Your running an illegitimate business that doesn't pay taxes and when you don't pay taxes the terrorists win, or something . . . .

Headless Thompson Gunner

• friend
« Reply #11 on: March 23, 2011, 10:50:21 AM »
Saw this story from a different news source the other day.  The impression I got was that the dude was manufacturing coins that didn't adequately distinguish themselves from real US currency.  Manufacturing coins is legal, but manufacturing coins that could appear as official currency is a no-no.

The articles are a bit vague on the details, but I think the terrorism talk is just press conference fluff from the prosecutor, trying to make her case sound more impressive or serious than it really is.  I don't think terrorism had anything to do with the actual trial or conviction. 

HankB

• friend
« Reply #12 on: March 23, 2011, 01:24:11 PM »
. . . Or is bartering also undermining the currency, per the Interstate Commerce Clause? 
Doesn't the IRS consider what you get by bartering to be income you have to declare and pay taxes on . . . but they want payment in cash?
Trump won in 2016. Democrats haven't been so offended since Republicans came along and freed their slaves.
Sometimes I wonder if the world is being run by smart people who are putting us on, or by imbeciles who really mean it. - Mark Twain
Government is a broker in pillage, and every election is a sort of advance auction in stolen goods. - H.L. Mencken
Patriotism is supporting your country all the time, and your government when it deserves it. - Mark Twain

Tallpine

• friends
  • Grumpy Old Grandpa
« Reply #13 on: March 23, 2011, 03:57:34 PM »
Doesn't the IRS consider what you get by bartering to be income you have to declare and pay taxes on . . . but they want payment in cash?

Yeah - imagine what they might do with some people's definition of "marraige"  :O
Freedom is a heavy load, a great and strange burden for the spirit to undertake. It is not easy. It is not a gift given, but a choice made, and the choice may be a hard one. The road goes upward toward the light; but the laden traveller may never reach the end of it.  - Ursula Le Guin

El Tejon

• friend
    • http://www.kirkfreemanlaw.com
« Reply #14 on: March 23, 2011, 04:16:47 PM »
O.K., enough with the rampant Wookiism already.

The "domestic terrorism" comes from a hyperbolic press release by the USA.  There was no charge of "domestic terrorism"; that came from a AUSA who wants to get noticed.

If you want to run a multilevel marketing scheme involving coins that look like US currency, reconsider and stick to cleaning supplies and vitamins.
I do not smoke pot, wear Wookie suits, live in my mom's basement, collect unemployment checks or eat Cheetoes, therefore I am not a Ron Paul voter.

MicroBalrog

• friend
« Reply #15 on: March 23, 2011, 06:08:21 PM »
There's never sufficient wookiism.

"...tradition and custom becomes intertwined and are a strong coercion which directs the society upon fixed lines, and strangles liberty. " ~ William Graham Sumner

Gowen

• Metal smith
  • friend
    • Gemoriah.com
« Reply #16 on: March 23, 2011, 07:02:14 PM »
It's kind of like getting written up at work.  More often than not, they use the  the catchall term "failure to follow company policy."  Being insubordinate, late to work, excessive absences, they can fire you for one term.
"That's my hat, I'm the leader!" Napoleon the Bloodhound

Gemoriah.com

• friends
« Reply #17 on: March 23, 2011, 07:20:54 PM »
the perfect storm of wookeism meets "the movement"
http://motherjones.com/mojo/2011/03/maker-gold-ron-paul-currency-goes-prison

the layers of fail
and why was it that r paul didn't denounce/distance himself from this? at least bitch about them minting coins with his face on them?
It is much more powerful to seek Truth for one's self.  Seeing and hearing that others seem to have found it can be a motivation.  With me, I was drawn because of much error and bad judgment on my part. Confronting one's own errors and bad judgment is a very life altering situation.  Confronting the errors and bad judgment of others is usually hypocrisy.

Lee

• friend
« Reply #18 on: March 23, 2011, 08:11:10 PM »
Since the raid, as the Southern Poverty Law Center notes, Von NotHaus has retired from the currency business to found the Free Marijuana Church of Honolulu, where he's a "high priest." He's currently working on a book, tentatively titled, One Toke to God—Two Tokes to Party. Von NotHaus faces up to 15 years in prison.

There ya go.  He stole the Presidential motto - therefore he is a terrorist. Not-Winning!!

MicroBalrog

• friend
« Reply #19 on: March 24, 2011, 02:56:29 AM »
the perfect storm of wookeism meets "the movement"
http://motherjones.com/mojo/2011/03/maker-gold-ron-paul-currency-goes-prison

the layers of fail
and why was it that r paul didn't denounce/distance himself from this? at least bitch about them minting coins with his face on them?

I'd rather have people like NotHaus on my side and be on the side of freedom than live our my life a tie-wearing, well-shaved mainstream functionnaire.

• friends
« Reply #20 on: March 24, 2011, 05:52:39 AM »
having him on your side is the kinda thing that makes your opposition chuckle with glee.  its like having david dukes endorsement

RaspberrySurprise

• friend
  • Yub yub Commander
« Reply #21 on: March 24, 2011, 09:51:44 AM »

*howls and shakes bowcaster*
Look, tiny text!

Headless Thompson Gunner

• friend
« Reply #22 on: March 24, 2011, 01:07:19 PM »
Indeed not.  There's usually excessive wookiism.

:P

bedlamite

• Hold my beer and watch this!
  • friend
  • Ack! PLBTTPHBT!
« Reply #23 on: March 24, 2011, 09:52:37 PM »
Indeed not.  There's usually excessive wookiism.

:P

Sometimes too much just isn't enough.
A plan is just a list of things that doesn't happen.
Is defenestration possible through the overton window?

230RN

• saw it coming.
  • friend
  • ...shall not be allowed.
« Reply #24 on: March 25, 2011, 10:23:07 AM »

Well, I can just see someone who came out ahead on a trade involving pigs shipping a couple of them to the IRS centers.  "Payment in kind," is the term, I guess, for "income derived from whatever source."

<insert bacon joke here>
WHATEVER YOUR DEFINITION OF "INFRINGE " IS, YOU SHOULDN'T BE DOING IT.