Author Topic: Camera Lenses  (Read 1457 times)

Winston Smith

• friends
  • Cheaper than a locksmith
    • My Photography
Camera Lenses
« on: March 31, 2006, 06:03:37 PM »
Call me stupid, but I accidentally broke a nice 50mm lens that was on my Dad's old Olympus OM-1. Now, I need a lens that'll fit that camera really quick, as I'm leaving for Russia a week from today, and would like to take pictures.

Inexpensive, easily found, and that'll for sure fit that camera are my standards. You guys know any one that'll fit those three?
Jack
APS #22
I'm eighteen years old. I know everything and I'm invincible.
Right?

Standing Wolf

• friend
Camera Lenses
« Reply #1 on: March 31, 2006, 06:05:40 PM »
You might try Tamron.
No tyrant should ever be allowed to die of natural causes.

mtnbkr

• friend
Camera Lenses
« Reply #2 on: March 31, 2006, 06:18:43 PM »
Check KEH.com.  They have plenty of 50mm lenses for the OM-1.  They're quite cheap.  Consider the "bargain" level lenses at KEH.  Their "Bargain" lens would qualify as "near mint" on ebay.

BTW, I have an OM-1.  It's my favorite camera.

If that's not cheap enough, I'll loan you my spare 50mm lens, but I'll need it back.  I haven't used my other 50mm enough to decide which one I'm keeping.  The spare is the older single coated f1.4 version.  The one on the camera now is the multicoated f1.8 version.  The "spare" deliver's nice colors, but a somewhat soft effect.  

Here's a pic I took with that lens.  It's on Fuji Superia asa 400 at 1/30sec and about f2, handheld in available light.  It's a pic of my daughter and godson at the children's museum.  

Chris

Kestrel

• friend
Camera Lenses
« Reply #3 on: March 31, 2006, 06:28:39 PM »
Another vote for KEH.com. That's the quickest way to get one and be confident that it will be what they describe or better. (Get the genuine Olympus brand.)

280plus

• friend
  • Ever get that sinking feeling?
Camera Lenses
« Reply #4 on: April 01, 2006, 01:53:26 AM »
nice shot there mtnbkr!

err,,,chris...

Cheesy
Avoid cliches like the plague!

mtnbkr

• friend
Camera Lenses
« Reply #5 on: April 01, 2006, 02:09:52 AM »
Thanks!  

Chris

Headless Thompson Gunner

• friend
Camera Lenses
« Reply #6 on: April 01, 2006, 09:13:05 PM »
Take your broken lense in to your local real camera shop.  They might be able to fix it quicker and cheaper than ordering a "new" one.

I've ordered three lenses from KEH over the years.  Two of them had to be returned because they wouldn't work properly.  The folks at KEH made it right each time, but it took 'em a lot longer than one week.  So if you order from them, have a backup plan.  Maybe order two lenses from KEH, or order one from KEH and another from a second source like B&H or Adorama.  It's easy enough to return the second lens if you don't need it.

I wouldn't trust anyone to deliver an order within a week, so spring for extra fast shipping.

Don't forget to thoroughly test your "new" lens before you leave.

Winston Smith

• friends
    • My Photography
Camera Lenses
« Reply #7 on: April 01, 2006, 11:07:32 PM »
No worries guys, I borrowed a camera from the very nice dudes at the one hour photo place down on 7th and Irving here in San Francisco, in return I must bring them some russian cigarettes. Fair deal.

They lent me a Pentax K-1000. I shot a roll in it... very manual, yet very intuitive. Solid camera. A sample:

Jack
APS #22
Right?

gunsmith

• I forgot to get vaccinated!
  • friend
  • I'm sorry, Dave. I'm afraid I can't do that.
Camera Lenses
« Reply #8 on: April 01, 2006, 11:40:56 PM »
wait a minnit.
my friends in frisco tell
me it's raining all the time!
Politicians and bureaucrats are considered productive if they swarm the populace like a plague of locust, devouring all substance in their path and leaving a swath of destruction like a firestorm. The technical term is "bipartisanship".
Rocket Man: "The need for booster shots for the immunized has always been based on the science.  Political science, not medical science."

Winston Smith

• friends
    • My Photography
Camera Lenses
« Reply #9 on: April 02, 2006, 07:36:25 PM »
It has been but the sun peeks out once in a while.

Like so:

Jack
APS #22
Right?

280plus

• friend
  • Ever get that sinking feeling?
Camera Lenses
« Reply #10 on: April 03, 2006, 12:31:25 AM »
Reminds me of when I was younger, out to sea and taking pix of gorgeous susets / sunreises. When I got them developed I couldn't tell the sets from the rises...

Cheesy
Avoid cliches like the plague!