Author Topic: Navy Names Littoral Combat Ships Jackson and Montgomery  (Read 7817 times)

280plus

• friend
  • Ever get that sinking feeling?
Re: Navy Names Littoral Combat Ships Jackson and Montgomery
« Reply #25 on: March 27, 2011, 07:35:51 PM »
It's supposed to be stealthy too IIRC to ward off radar.
Avoid cliches like the plague!

Hawkmoon

• friend
« Reply #26 on: March 28, 2011, 12:29:01 AM »
More than enough to knock out Somali pirates or Columbian drug smugglers, but the high sides and (apparently) light armor suggest it ought to stay out of the way of anyone who could, for example, fire a salvo of RPGs . . . so I don't see it coming in close to shore in Libya, Somalia, or any of a number of other places.

Armor? WHAT armor?

I thought these things were made of al-yu-minium
- - - - - - - - - - - - -
100% Politically Incorrect by Design

280plus

• friend
  • Ever get that sinking feeling?
« Reply #27 on: March 28, 2011, 06:36:59 AM »
Generally thety will armore around the magazines and engineering spaces. In my day everything above the main deck was that al-yu-minium stuff. Repair 5, my station during GQ and responsible for fires in the engineering spaces mustered on the mess decks. Protected my about 1/4" of aluminum plate. Common knowlegde was that it would just barely slow a .50 cal round down as it passed through and through. Never made lot of sense to any of us. What good were we if the first hit amidships, even a minor one like being raked by .50 cal, took us out?
Avoid cliches like the plague!

Harold Tuttle

• Professor Chromedome
  • friend
« Reply #28 on: March 28, 2011, 10:18:33 AM »

I hope they name one the USS Bulldyke
"The true mad scientist does not make public appearances! He does not wear the "Hello, my name is.." badge!
He strikes from below like a viper or on high like a penny dropped from the tallest building around!
He only has one purpose--Do bad things to good people! Mit science! What good is science if no one gets hurt?!"