Author Topic: Weirdos at the gym  (Read 10724 times)

BridgeRunner

• friend
Re: Weirdos at the gym
« Reply #25 on: March 29, 2011, 12:57:18 AM »
I'm the only one on a treadmill wearing a vest and dress shirt.

Oh wow, I missed this the first time 'round.

You sir, are my gym nemesis. 

Monkeyleg

• friend
  • Tattaglia is a pimp.
    • http://www.gunshopfinder.com
« Reply #26 on: March 29, 2011, 01:00:10 AM »
You sir, are my gym nemesis.

Well, how do you hide your gun when you're at the gym? ;)

BridgeRunner

• friend
« Reply #27 on: March 29, 2011, 01:02:24 AM »
Well, how do you hide your gun when you're at the gym? ;)

I don't hide nothin' when I am the gym.  I don't carry, but if I did, I wouldn't there.  I'd rust it.  I sweat so much, I'd rust a freaking Glock.

My current gym, which I use because it costs $12/month, has a 20 minutes limit on cardio equipment when there's a line.  There's often a line.  The manager there has given me unofficial permission to push it a little, see if another one will open up, and use the treadmill reserved for the personal trainers if I get booted and there's no PT clients using it, but it's still annoying.  Especially because they shut down every twenty minutes. 

Few things suck more than planning your week around a nice long run at the gym to get good and hot in the middle of a cold and long winter only to get booted by someone who proceeds to stroll for ten minutes.  Also, my gym has about a dozen basic treadmills and three top quality, longer, heavier, more stable treadmills designed for running.  I love those things and use them for speedwork even when the weather is fine outside.  HATE getting stuck on a dinky, shaky, irritating treadmill when someone is reading a magazine on one of the good ones.  I'm well aware that walking is a perfectly legitimate use for a treadmill, and I'm not obnoxious about it, but it still irks the heck out of me.
« Last Edit: March 29, 2011, 01:10:10 AM by BridgeRunner »

dm1333

• friend
« Reply #28 on: March 29, 2011, 01:49:38 AM »
I'm not sure what is worse, the easy listening crap my gym plays, the personal trainer who wears a pearl snap shirt and jeans tucked into cowboy boots or the weird singer that always seems to end up in the cardio room whenever I am there.  He's tone deaf but make up for it with volume.  I can hear him over my breathing, the sounds of the treadmill and Godsmack. 

280plus

• friend
  • Ever get that sinking feeling?
« Reply #29 on: March 29, 2011, 06:29:16 AM »
a couple blue-hairs finish with the blow-dryer and get around to wrestling themselves into a bra.
  There's a picture I didn't need...  :lol:

Avoid cliches like the plague!

never_retreat

• Head Muckety Muck
  • friend
« Reply #30 on: March 29, 2011, 01:34:14 PM »
I needed a mod to change my signature because the concept of "family friendly" eludes me.
Just noticed that a mod changed my signature. How long ago was that?
A few months-mods

Monkeyleg

• friend
  • Tattaglia is a pimp.
« Reply #31 on: March 29, 2011, 06:21:37 PM »
One reason I'm very picky about equipment being wiped down is that there's a good number of elderly people who come to this gym/fitness center. I have no idea how many of them are wearing Depends, how many of those who are wearing them have leaks, nor how many of them have changed their Depends and not washed their hands.

Add that to the guys who dig in the cracks of their butts, pick their noses, or scratch their crotches, and wiping down any part of the equipment I'll contact seems like a good idea.

The Cro Magnon man looks like a walking petri dish.

seeker_two

• friend
  • In short, most intelligence is false.
« Reply #32 on: March 29, 2011, 06:29:23 PM »

Of course, the gym I go to these days is one sex at a time.  Women get M, W, F, Sat., men get T, Th, Sun.  (the location across town is the opposite).  And it's less than a mile from MSU.  There are hot chicks.  A lot of them, because they're college kids and it's cheap and it's not a meat market (mostly).  But they're mostly 17-18 or so, and kind of annoying.  Nice view, though. And it's mine, all mine!  None of you guys get any of it!  <insert maniacal laughter here>

Like I've always said.....Lesbianism is wasted on women.....  :facepalm:
Impressed yet befogged, they grasped at his vivid leading phrases, seeing only their surface meaning, and missing the deeper current of his thought.

Lee

• friend
« Reply #33 on: March 29, 2011, 08:01:09 PM »
People are always weird, but gyms seem to attract the truly bizarre. Why is that?

Rhetorical question.  No offense, but IMHO - Anyone who pays good money to physically exert themselves in public, and then showers with strangers of the same gender, falls into that category. :laugh:

BridgeRunner

• friend
« Reply #34 on: March 29, 2011, 10:46:56 PM »
I dunno, ML.  Seems like that's all a good reason to shower afterwards.  But then my favorite sport that I'm still bummed I can't do anymore is grappling.  If you don't have other people's sweat, and occasionally some spit or blood, all over you it just wasn't a good day.   :lol:

280plus

• friend
« Reply #35 on: March 30, 2011, 08:44:39 AM »
 :lol:

AmbulanceDriver

• Junior Rocketeer
  • friends
« Reply #36 on: March 30, 2011, 09:58:41 AM »
I dunno, ML.  Seems like that's all a good reason to shower afterwards.  But then my favorite sport that I'm still bummed I can't do anymore is grappling.  If you don't have other people's sweat, and occasionally some spit or blood, all over you it just wasn't a good day.   :lol:

Ummm....

Um.

Where's the head scratching smiley?

You know, never mind.  I'm just going back to my corner and gonna be quiet.    :P
Are you a cook, or a RIFLEMAN?  Find out at Appleseed!

http://www.appleseedinfo.org

"For some many people, attempting to process a logical line of thought brings up the blue screen of death." -Blakenzy

Fitz

• Face-melter
  • friend
  • Floyd Rose is my homeboy
    • My Book
« Reply #37 on: March 30, 2011, 10:07:48 AM »
I am occasionally the grunting idiot at the gym... not while lifting though. Only when I'm in spin class and trying to climb a nasty hill.

I'm breaking 1100 calories per session now. That's hard friggin work. The grunting REALLY is involuntary at that point.
Fitz

---------------
I have reached a conclusion regarding every member of this forum.
I no longer respect any of you. I hope the following offends you as much as this thread has offended me:
You are all awful people. I mean this *expletive deleted*ing seriously.

-MicroBalrog

280plus

• friend
« Reply #38 on: March 30, 2011, 10:29:41 AM »
Long as you're not a screamer...  ;)

Devonai

• friend
  • Panic Mode Activated
    • Kyrie Devonai Publishing
« Reply #39 on: March 30, 2011, 11:27:50 AM »
I use the gym here on the base a couple times a week, even though I have a pretty good set of weights at home.  For me, the gym is all about isolating myself from the distractions of home.  I get in, do an hour, and get out, without TV, video games, the computer, or telephone to divert me.
My writing blog: Kyrie Devonai Publishing

When in danger, when in doubt, run in circles, scream and shout!

Lee

• friend
« Reply #40 on: March 31, 2011, 08:24:42 PM »
I dunno, ML.  Seems like that's all a good reason to shower afterwards.  But then my favorite sport that I'm still bummed I can't do anymore is grappling.  If you don't have other people's sweat, and occasionally some spit or blood, all over you it just wasn't a good day.  

Have you considered nursing as a profession...probably get some poop thrown in as well. :laugh:

seeker_two

• friend
  • In short, most intelligence is false.
« Reply #41 on: March 31, 2011, 08:30:26 PM »
Have you considered nursing as a profession...probably get some poop thrown in as well. :laugh:

....or working in a mental health facility....you can pretty well count on some "grappling" on a daily basis....
Impressed yet befogged, they grasped at his vivid leading phrases, seeing only their surface meaning, and missing the deeper current of his thought.

BridgeRunner

• friend
« Reply #42 on: March 31, 2011, 10:36:46 PM »
Get your minds out the gutter, gentlemen, I refer to judo, with a strong emphasis on groundwork.  Lot of guys were wrestlers of various stripes, and my dojo focused a lot on that close in stuff, as did I once I got hurt doing shoulder throws.  

Of course, my word choice was completely innocent.  :angel:

ETA: And seeker, generally, when I'm in a mental health facility, it's not so much as an employee.  =| The crayzee is strong in this one...
« Last Edit: April 01, 2011, 12:50:39 AM by BridgeRunner »

Balog

• Unrepentant race traitor
  • friends
  • What if we tried more?
« Reply #43 on: April 01, 2011, 12:28:54 AM »
ML: are you just kind of strolling and not working up a sweat, or are you soaking a dress shirt, jeans, vest etc every time you go? And, if you're just kinda walking, why goto a gym instead of just walking around your neighorhood or something?

Not being a smartass, I just don't get it.
Quote from: French G.
I was always pleasant, friendly and within arm's reach of a gun.

Quote from: Standing Wolf
If government is the answer, it must have been a really, really, really stupid question.

Monkeyleg

• friend
  • Tattaglia is a pimp.
« Reply #44 on: April 01, 2011, 12:37:39 AM »
Balog, I can't use free weights because of my back, so I have to use the machines for curls, pull-downs, pull-ups, presses, etc, where I can brace myself against the machines to keep from inadvertently using my back. Because of damage to my elbows and shoulders, I can't get close to my maximum lifting capability, as doing so would cause more injury. That's a wordy way of saying that I don't work out to the point where I sweat.

On the treadmill I do about 4.5 mph, and don't start sweating until after 20-25 minutes. I can only do about 30 minutes because of my back, so I just get some sweat on my brow, and maybe sweat up my shirt just a little.

Even with those limitations, I'm making progress. Besides, I'm old. I'm supposed to do this stuff. ;)

gunsmith

• I forgot to get vaccinated!
  • friend
  • I'm sorry, Dave. I'm afraid I can't do that.
« Reply #45 on: April 01, 2011, 12:47:54 AM »
I used to carry in a fanny pack at the gym, not as quick to produce but still there-you could put it down on the floor near you as you worked out
Politicians and bureaucrats are considered productive if they swarm the populace like a plague of locust, devouring all substance in their path and leaving a swath of destruction like a firestorm. The technical term is "bipartisanship".
Rocket Man: "The need for booster shots for the immunized has always been based on the science.  Political science, not medical science."

BridgeRunner

• friend
« Reply #46 on: April 01, 2011, 12:49:24 AM »
Balog, I've made my peace with the treadmill walkers because when it comes down to it, why don't I just run outside? 

Well, I can stick to my pace and work on speedwork.  Also applies to walkers.  Not so much speedwork, but keeping up the pace.
Sometimes I have problems running in extreme cold or humidity.  May apply to walkers too.
It's snowing/raining/windy, and I'm feeling particularly not like toughing it out.  Applies to walkers way more.  Much easier to run through bad weather than to walk through it, usually.
And, I like going to the gym.  Like the routine, like the facilities.  Applies to walkers.

I have no issues with the people who don't work out hard, but I also don't get it when they get perturbed by those of us who do. 

But if I go to the gym, I'm going to sweat. A LOT. I'm going to focus more on my workout than on leaving a perfectly sanitized surface behind whenever I've touched anything.  I don't do particularly heavy weights, shoulder issue here too, and with the whole female thing on top of that, definitely no grunting, but I have been known to pull similarly dramatic shenanigans trying to get through a hard run.  It's actually not to look or sound any particular way or to make any kind of statement; it's to get one more mile, and then one more, and then one more.  And then maybe one more, faster.  Treadmills are great for running to complete exhaustion occasionally; it's always nice to know one's limits and to watch them change.  Treadmills at the gym are great for this because on outdoor runs you have to keep your head about you and not be at the point of total collapse a couple miles from home.  Or when there's traffic. Treadmills that's not an issue.  And there's always a restroom handy, you don't have to carry a water bottle, and you never have to throw up on someone's lawn, which is a big plus.  If the woman on the next treadmill doesn't appreciate that I'm being too loud or sweating too much, or smell funky once I hit the third hour of a run, my attitude is basically that she's some weirdo who probably doesn't belong at the gym.   =)

« Last Edit: April 01, 2011, 01:18:01 AM by BridgeRunner »

Monkeyleg

• friend
  • Tattaglia is a pimp.
« Reply #47 on: April 01, 2011, 01:02:29 AM »
Yeah, so, I can't use the forum.  Not smrt enuff.

That went right over my head, BridgeRunner.

Gunsmith, I don't carry in the gym because I'm any more concerned about being attacked there than elsewhere (other than maybe by Cro Magnon man). I carry everywhere, and it's really a hassle to unholster, unload, and encase a gun in the car, put it in the trunk, then do the reverse after finishing up at the gym.

I did that for the first couple of months when we started going to a gym in 2008. After that I decided to just untuck my shirt before starting to exercise, then go to the bathroom and re-tuck it before leaving.

BridgeRunner

• friend
« Reply #48 on: April 01, 2011, 01:20:35 AM »
That went right over my head, BridgeRunner.

I was trying to make a new post and to add something to an earlier post.  Instead, because I'm a certified genius, or certifiable, or both, I ended up replying to my earlier post with the edit.  Didn't want to do that, so I put random stuff there as a placeholder instead of leaving the big ol' "Hey I don't know how to edit posts" sign up there.

gunsmith

• I forgot to get vaccinated!
  • friend
  • I'm sorry, Dave. I'm afraid I can't do that.
« Reply #49 on: April 01, 2011, 01:21:09 AM »
I agree Mleg, its a hassle - I also hardly even am not wearing a gun on my belt.
I'm begining to think a maxpedition or something so I can wear tshirts this summer & still conceal. Open carry and looking for work is troubling sometimes
Politicians and bureaucrats are considered productive if they swarm the populace like a plague of locust, devouring all substance in their path and leaving a swath of destruction like a firestorm. The technical term is "bipartisanship".
Rocket Man: "The need for booster shots for the immunized has always been based on the science.  Political science, not medical science."