Author Topic: Speakers  (Read 2511 times)

zahc

• friend
Speakers
« on: March 30, 2011, 08:28:07 PM »
The speakers I have now are Energy C3 6.5 inch bookshelf speakers on the Energy stands for them. I don't have the stands spiked or filled with sand. I have a homemade 6.5 inch micro-sub in a vented enclosure that hits pretty low, but with low overall power. This was a decent setup in the 10x15 foot apartment I had in college, but in my new house with living room with high ceiling, open hallway and so on, it seems like they just don't have enough. Cranking the volume gets me as much vocals and guitars as I want but the midbass and bass guitar in particular are just not there. The sub crosses over too low to be much help. I have a Pioneer Elite stereo receiver driving the bookshelf speakers and the sub has its own amp.

I'm after a system that can play at moderate volume without the strain I seem to get now. I have a very nice 10" sealed subwoofer box at my parents' house that used to have a 10" image dynamics car sub in it. I'm debating whether to get it, buy a driver and amp, and implement that as my sub. I could get rid of my mini-sub or just keep it crossed over at like 40Hz. But maybe I should forget that and get some bigger speakers.

And that brings me to my speaker annoyance. I hate audiophiles. Because they distort the market. You can't believe anyone, and you can spend tens of thousands on speakers. Basically I hate any market where salesmen have to ask you "how much do you want to spend". Any recommendations on good speakers or speaker kits? My mini-sub worked out really well and I made it from Parts Express parts. I have no problem making some speakers out of MDF but I don't know where to start.
Maybe a rare occurence, but then you only have to get murdered once to ruin your whole day.
--Tallpine

never_retreat

• Head Muckety Muck
  • friend
Re: Speakers
« Reply #1 on: March 30, 2011, 09:15:40 PM »
Quit playing around with that sissy crap. Get one of these.
http://www.cerwinvega.com/pro-audio/folded-horn-subwoofer/el-36c.html
I had a chance to add a pair of these and a 2000 watt amp to my system for a party we were throwing.
The neighbors over a mile away were calling in requests to the house.
I needed a mod to change my signature because the concept of "family friendly" eludes me.
Just noticed that a mod changed my signature. How long ago was that?
A few months-mods

HeroHog

• Technical Site Pig
  • Administrator
  • It can ALWAYS get worse!
    • FaceButt Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 31, 2011, 01:38:02 AM »
I bought a Panasonic SA-BTT350 Blu-ray 3D Home Theater Sound System with 2 front, 2 rear, sub and center speakers, all SMALL, but DANG at the SOUND!!!!!  Who needs those huge old speaker cabinets we used to lust after these days?
I might not last very long or be very effective but I'll be a real pain in the ass for a minute!
MOLON LABE!

Brad Johnson

• friend
  • Witty, charming, handsome, and completely insane.
« Reply #3 on: March 31, 2011, 11:49:41 AM »
Careful, the ohm load from that ID sub may not play nice with some home stereo units.  Verify before using.  That aside, I love ID subs.  I have an ID10D in the truck in a sealed undermount box. For a single 10 it is wayyyy beyond impressive.

Brad
It's all about the pancakes, people.
"And he thought cops wouldn't chase... a STOLEN DONUT TRUCK???? That would be like Willie Nelson ignoring a pickup full of weed."
-HankB

zahc

• friend
« Reply #4 on: March 31, 2011, 07:55:39 PM »
The ID sub is long gone; I would have to buy a new driver, but the box is 2-layers of 5/8 MDF at 1.8cu Ft. It is extremely heavy and overkill goodness.
Maybe a rare occurence, but then you only have to get murdered once to ruin your whole day.
--Tallpine

Brad Johnson

• friend
  • Witty, charming, handsome, and completely insane.
« Reply #5 on: March 31, 2011, 10:04:07 PM »
Problem is 1.8 ft3 too big for that particular ID sub (the ID10 likes .6 to .8 box size for a sealed enclosure).  Great thing is you have a ton of choices for that box size in 10"subs.

Brad
It's all about the pancakes, people.
"And he thought cops wouldn't chase... a STOLEN DONUT TRUCK???? That would be like Willie Nelson ignoring a pickup full of weed."
-HankB

Bogie

• friend
  • Hunkered in South St. Louis, right by Route 66
    • Third Rate Pundit
« Reply #6 on: April 01, 2011, 02:12:55 AM »
What's your budget? How big is your room? Would you consider adding another sub (I'm a fan of duallies..).

www.magneplanar.com

Yeah. Audiophile crap.

http://www.magneplanar.com/model_MMG

They sell the entry level ones Real Cheap so that you get hooked. You will need a sub (or two - grin) with them. I had a pair, and they're great with everything from Bluegrass to Dire Straits to Steely Dan... I miss them, and I'll be buying another pair. You'll want to throw some watts at them - the Behringer 250wpc amps are very cost effective, and not bad overall. They have to be about 3' out from the wall behind them. I had mine bolted on top of sub boxes (grin). Each was a 3 cubic foot box (and they're at my bud Doc's place).

Probably not what you want if you listen to a lot of rap or death metal...

Blog under construction

zahc

• friend
« Reply #7 on: April 01, 2011, 06:59:13 PM »
I don't listen to a lot of rap or death metal; I mostly listen to old rock and folk music, but I do listen to some electronic stuff that needs to reach down into the sub-40hz range. I have two problems right now...not enough midbass to feel the kickdrums, and not enough power on the low-end for sub-bass stuff. So I think I just basically need bigger speakers and my little 6.5 inch bookshelf speakers aren't getting it done.
--Tallpine

Larry Ashcraft

• Administrator
« Reply #8 on: April 01, 2011, 11:18:04 PM »
When we sold the old house in 1994, we let the speakers go with it.  Altec Lansing Voice of the Theatre studio models.  Five feet tall, about three feet wide and about 30 inches deep IIRC.  The tweeters weighed more than most high end speakers (22 pounds).

They wouldn't have fit in the new house anyway, and my hearing has degraded to the point where I can't appreciate them any more.

Shame.  They would literally knock the plaster off of the walls.