Author Topic: School me on riding lawn mowers  (Read 10310 times)

coppertales

• friend
Re: School me on riding lawn mowers
« Reply #25 on: April 06, 2011, 09:09:00 PM »
I have a 21 hp Sears that has been trouble free for 4 years.  I mow about 2 acres at my camp.  The only thing I would do different is get a lawn tractor with a transmission instead of belt drives.  I have a spare belt so the original will  never break.  Just change the oil regularly.  I have had to change the battery after 3 years.  The reason I went with a Sears is because you can get parts anywhere there is a Sears store and on line.....chris3

cassandra and sara's daddy

• friends
« Reply #26 on: April 06, 2011, 09:22:13 PM »
http://fredericksburg.craigslist.org/grd/2309823242.html

an example

got one just like it  had it 13 years
It is much more powerful to seek Truth for one's self.  Seeing and hearing that others seem to have found it can be a motivation.  With me, I was drawn because of much error and bad judgment on my part. Confronting one's own errors and bad judgment is a very life altering situation.  Confronting the errors and bad judgment of others is usually hypocrisy.

by someone older and wiser than I

41magsnub

• friend
  • Don't make me assume my ultimate form!
« Reply #27 on: April 06, 2011, 10:28:27 PM »
http://fredericksburg.craigslist.org/grd/2309823242.html

an example

got one just like it  had it 13 years

When the prices is $300 (bumpass)...  do I want to know what "bumpass" means?

• friends
« Reply #28 on: April 06, 2011, 10:31:40 PM »
its a neighborhood
It is much more powerful to seek Truth for one's self.  Seeing and hearing that others seem to have found it can be a motivation.  With me, I was drawn because of much error and bad judgment on my part. Confronting one's own errors and bad judgment is a very life altering situation.  Confronting the errors and bad judgment of others is usually hypocrisy.

Boomhauer

• Former Moderator, fired for embezzlement and abuse of power
  • friends
« Reply #29 on: April 06, 2011, 11:08:01 PM »
When the prices is $300 (bumpass)...  do I want to know what "bumpass" means?

VA has some...odd names for places. Shortpump, for example. My family doesn't think it's amusing that I giggle at the names when I visit them.

Quote from: Ben
Holy hell. It's like giving a loaded gun to a chimpanzee...

Quote from: bluestarlizzard
the last thing you need is rabies. You're already angry enough as it is.

OTOH, there wouldn't be a tweeker left in Georgia...

Quote from: Balog
BLOOD FOR THE BLOOD GOD! SKULLS FOR THE SKULL THRONE! AND THROW SOME STEAK ON THE GRILL!

41magsnub

• friend
  • Don't make me assume my ultimate form!
« Reply #30 on: April 06, 2011, 11:37:41 PM »
I wondered if "lawn tractors" maybe the new code phrase after the adult section was shut down on CL  :)

sumpnz

• friend
« Reply #31 on: May 12, 2011, 12:49:53 AM »
Update.

Picked up a mower today.  Got a 2.5 year old Craftsman 54" with a 27hp Kohler.  59 hours on the meter.  It came with a mulching kit (never used) and a box scraper/grader.  Everything was clean and tight.  Hopefully it'll last a long time.

Zardozimo Oprah Bannedalas

• Webley Juggler
  • friend
  • All I got is a fistful of shekels
« Reply #32 on: May 12, 2011, 01:00:51 AM »
I wondered if "lawn tractors" maybe the new code phrase after the adult section was shut down on CL  :)
I think they moved to the massage section.

Brad Johnson

• friend
  • Witty, charming, handsome, and completely insane.
« Reply #33 on: May 12, 2011, 11:34:59 AM »
Hopefully it'll last a long time.

It should presuming you keep it serviced and clean, especially under/on the mowing deck.  What kills most lawn equipment is neglect, not use.

Brad
It's all about the pancakes, people.
"And he thought cops wouldn't chase... a STOLEN DONUT TRUCK???? That would be like Willie Nelson ignoring a pickup full of weed."
-HankB

Declaration Day

• friends
« Reply #34 on: May 12, 2011, 06:56:24 PM »
Update.

Picked up a mower today.  Got a 2.5 year old Craftsman 54" with a 27hp Kohler.  59 hours on the meter.  It came with a mulching kit (never used) and a box scraper/grader.  Everything was clean and tight.  Hopefully it'll last a long time.

I don't know anything about Craftsman mowers, but that's the same engine my Dixie Choppers have.  Oldest one has 3500 hours, and will be getting its first repair this week.  It has a leaking valve cover gasket, which will cost about $5 and a few minutes to replace.  

Dixie doesn't power its mowers with junk.

Keep the oil clean, replace the spark plugs and air filter once a year, and that engine will last you a lifetime.  Good choice!
« Last Edit: May 12, 2011, 07:19:46 PM by Declaration Day »

• friends
« Reply #35 on: May 12, 2011, 07:54:05 PM »
my lil 11 hp craftsman is 21 years old.  stored under a tarp  have ripped the tranny out once  but i use it for pulling trailers around yard

grampster

• friend
« Reply #36 on: May 12, 2011, 08:21:37 PM »
I have a Husqvarna YT150, twin blade, 42" swath, 15 hp Kohler one lunger, hydrostatic tranny.  I bought it new in 1999, 386.6 hours on it now.  Around $1400.00 back then.  I replaced the belts a couple years ago, mainly because I got something jambed up in it and damaged the belt.  The switch that engages the mower was giving me some problems last fall, but some duct tape squared that away.   Has a pressurized oil system which is a plus.  A lot of riders engines are gravity lubed and if you have slopes, can cause a problem.  Some new plugs now and then, change the oil now and then, clean and change the air filter now and then.  I just put tubes in the front tires as they were slowly losing air.  New battery a couple years ago.  Runs like a top.

I change the blades in the fall for blades that have more lift and attach my Cyclone Rake to drag around behind to get up my oak leaves.  22 oak trees.  If you have leaves, the Cyclone Rake is the absolute best system for many reasons.  28 years of leaf picken' using every tool known to man, I know what I'm talkin' about.  Cyclone Rake.  God's gift to the overtreed homeowner.

"Never wrestle with a pig.  You get dirty, and besides, the pig likes it."  G.B. Shaw

sumpnz

• friend
« Reply #37 on: May 12, 2011, 10:28:39 PM »
Had an issue while running it tonight.  With a freshly filled tank of gas the engine would surge and then die.  Throttle is all the way up and it would die as soon as I tried to engage the blades.  No clogging that I can tell.  It would protest even just driving with the blades off.  What's going on?  Fuel filter?

ETA: SWMBO ran the tank dry.  But it ran for a good 20 minutes before surging and dieing.
« Last Edit: May 12, 2011, 10:43:54 PM by sumpnz »

Jim147

• friends
« Reply #38 on: May 12, 2011, 11:12:03 PM »
There should be a vent in the cap to let air in and fuel out. If it is plugged or covered it won't let much fuel out.

Missed the ran it dry. May have had some crude in the tank that is plugging filter or has gotten to the needle and seat.

jim
Sometimes we carry more weight then we owe.
And sometimes goes on and on and on.

BAH-WEEP-GRAAAGHNAH WHEEP NI-NI BONG

roo_ster

• Kakistocracy--It's What's For Dinner.
  • friend
  • Hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats
« Reply #39 on: May 13, 2011, 02:48:22 PM »
I only mow an acre but I mow slopes with the riding mower that most folks wouldn't take the push mower to.

Did that as a kid with the family lawn tractor.  "See, this stretch I only mow downhill," and hold on for dear life.

my 18 year old craftsman is still ticking  got it free from a guy  "its broke!"  new battery and it started right up

I know that guy and have bought other stuff from him.  Wish more guys like him were around when I needed pricey mechanical stuff.

my lil 11 hp craftsman is 21 years old.  stored under a tarp  have ripped the tranny out once  but i use it for pulling trailers around yard

Dang, I thought I was sometimes hard on equipment.  I am but an amateur in that league by comparison.
Regards,

roo_ster

“Fallacies do not cease to be fallacies because they become fashions.”
----G.K. Chesterton

• friends
« Reply #40 on: May 13, 2011, 06:03:45 PM »
my 400 buck 5 k y2k generator has been under a piece of plywood under a tarp.  religious about stabil in gas as well as keeping tank full and running the carb dry each time i use it.  i put it in my storage trailer last night  just on a lark i tried to start it.  3 shots of thrust did the trick.  and it was 2009 last time it was started.