Author Topic: Bees!  (Read 6543 times)

Jamisjockey

• Booze-fueled paragon of pointless cruelty and wanton sadism
  • friend
  • Your mom sends me care packages
Bees!
« on: April 06, 2011, 04:12:41 PM »
Looks like we've got a nest or swarm settling into the front of our house.   :O

I need ideas that don't involve me getting the hell stung out of me, detcord, or fire.  Looks like they are using a hole in the front of the house for access.
JD

The price of a lottery ticket seems to be the maximum most folks are willing to risk toward the dream of becoming a one-percenter. “Robert Hollis”

makattak

• Dark Lord of the Cis
  • friend
Re: Bees!
« Reply #1 on: April 06, 2011, 04:25:20 PM »
I wish the Ring had never come to me. I wish none of this had happened.

So do all who live to see such times. But that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given to us. There are other forces at work in this world, Frodo, besides the will of evil. Bilbo was meant to find the Ring. In which case, you also were meant to have it. And that is an encouraging thought

makattak

• Dark Lord of the Cis
  • friend
« Reply #2 on: April 06, 2011, 04:25:45 PM »
I have nothing useful to add, but your title asked for illustrations.
I wish the Ring had never come to me. I wish none of this had happened.

So do all who live to see such times. But that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given to us. There are other forces at work in this world, Frodo, besides the will of evil. Bilbo was meant to find the Ring. In which case, you also were meant to have it. And that is an encouraging thought

MechAg94

• friend
« Reply #3 on: April 06, 2011, 04:26:43 PM »
Wasp spray works on them, but there are usually too many to kill with one can.  A lot of foaming sprays will plug up the hole and keep killing those than touch the surface.  I would fill the hole with foam and skedaddle. 

Walmart sells stuff called Camp Fogger than also kills wasps and bees and stuff.  It is more of a fogging spray that can blanket an area.  If you can get it in the hole, it might do more damage.  A bug bomb near the hole might also do a good job.

If you are calm and don't move much, you can get upwind and spray the area where they are entering.  I've done it with bees a couple times at work. 

Other than that, call an exterminator.  
« Last Edit: April 06, 2011, 04:30:20 PM by MechAg94 »
“It is much more important to kill bad bills than to pass good ones.”  ― Calvin Coolidge

cassandra and sara's daddy

• friends
« Reply #4 on: April 06, 2011, 04:39:41 PM »
call a beekeeper to remove swarm
It is much more powerful to seek Truth for one's self.  Seeing and hearing that others seem to have found it can be a motivation.  With me, I was drawn because of much error and bad judgment on my part. Confronting one's own errors and bad judgment is a very life altering situation.  Confronting the errors and bad judgment of others is usually hypocrisy.

by someone older and wiser than I

Scout26

• I'm a leaf on the wind.
  • friend
  • I spent a week in that town one night....
« Reply #5 on: April 06, 2011, 04:41:39 PM »
He's in Texas, maybe they're "Africanized" Killer Bees.

Go poke it with a stick and report back.

[popcorn] >:D [popcorn] >:D
Some days even my lucky rocketship underpants won't help.

Bring me my Broadsword and a clear understanding.
Get up to the roundhouse on the cliff-top standing.
Take women and children and bed them down.
Bless with a hard heart those that stand with me.
Bless the women and children who firm our hands.
Put our backs to the north wind.
Hold fast by the river.
Sweet memories to drive us on,
for the motherland.

Jamisjockey

• friend
« Reply #6 on: April 06, 2011, 05:13:11 PM »
One can of spray done.  Got chased off by one or two of the buggers.  Not a true swarm but a good dozen or two were in and out of the hole when I was watching them.  After it cools off here in a bit I'll go back out there and check the damage.
JD

The price of a lottery ticket seems to be the maximum most folks are willing to risk toward the dream of becoming a one-percenter. “Robert Hollis”

Nick1911

• Administrator
« Reply #7 on: April 06, 2011, 05:16:53 PM »
Wait until dusk.

Get some dirt on a shovel.  Get a half gallon of gasoline in a wide mouth container.

Dump gasoline in hole, immediately cover with dirt.

GTFO of the area, just in case.

Jamisjockey

• friend
« Reply #8 on: April 06, 2011, 05:17:41 PM »
Wait until dusk.

Get some dirt on a shovel.  Get a half gallon of gasoline in a wide mouth container.

Dump gasoline in hole, immediately cover with dirt.

GTFO of the area, just in case.

Its on the brickwork on the house.  Dude they're IN THE WALLS!
JD

Nick1911

• Administrator
« Reply #9 on: April 06, 2011, 05:20:12 PM »
Its on the brickwork on the house.  Dude they're IN THE WALLS!

Oh.  Well, that's new.  =)

charby

• Necromancer
  • Administrator
  • APS's Resident Sikh/Muslim
« Reply #10 on: April 06, 2011, 05:28:51 PM »
call a beekeeper to remove swarm
If I lived closer I'd take them bees off your hands.
Iowa- 88% more livable that the rest of the US

Uranus is a gas giant.

Team 444: Member# 536

zxcvbob

• friend
« Reply #11 on: April 06, 2011, 05:48:45 PM »
See if there are any local beekeepers that will take them off your hands.  It's not that hard to trap them, and once the queen comes out and moves into the hive box, the workers should scavenge all the honey (you don't want 100 pounds of honey in your walls)

Loved the oprah gif
"It's good, though..."

Stetson

• friends
« Reply #12 on: April 06, 2011, 06:37:27 PM »
They may be migrating.  When I lived outside of Dallas we had a swarm settle in the tree out front.  I tried to get beekeepers to come get them.  They weren't interested but a day later they showed signs they were leaving, and that evening all but 3 were gone.  They never came back.

Not sure since it is in your house though...

Jamisjockey

• friend
« Reply #13 on: April 06, 2011, 08:02:36 PM »
I don't think they were a fan of the wasp spray. Not a bee in sight now. Dumped the other can into the hole to be sure.
Did have one get trapped in the garge with me.  After some hand to hand, I danced on his corpse.
JD

vaskidmark

• National Anthem Snob
  • friends
  • WTF?
« Reply #14 on: April 06, 2011, 10:31:58 PM »
I don't think they were a fan of the wasp spray. Not a bee in sight now. Dumped the other can into the hole to be sure.
Did have one get trapped in the garge with me.  After some hand to hand, I danced on his corpse.

Was you ever bit by a dead bee?  http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QSgqrrWyF0Y   http://www.filmsite.org/toha3.html

She was only 20.  Bogey should have been strung up by his thumbs.  I should have been strung up by my thumbs, too.

stay safe.
If cowardly and dishonorable men sometimes shoot unarmed men with army pistols or guns, the evil must be prevented by the penitentiary and gallows, and not by a general deprivation of a constitutional privilege.

Hey you kids!! Get off my lawn!!!

They keep making this eternal vigilance thing harder and harder.  Protecting the 2nd amendment is like playing PACMAN - there's no pause button so you can go to the bathroom.

zahc

• friend
« Reply #15 on: April 06, 2011, 11:50:16 PM »
It's kind of sad to kill them. Wild bees are rare and becoming rarer. A transient swarm of bees will only hang around for a couple days at the most and then move off to some hollow tree or wherever their scout bees have found for a home. Now, if said home is inside of your walls, I can see the problem, but if you have a ball of bees in your tree or something it's better to let them bee.

I've been thinking about starting a hive of my own just for old time's sake but they tend to multiply so you really need to have space for multiple hives unless you just want to kill them off to keep them down.
Maybe a rare occurence, but then you only have to get murdered once to ruin your whole day.
--Tallpine

Jamisjockey

• friend
« Reply #16 on: April 07, 2011, 12:01:15 AM »
It's kind of sad to kill them. Wild bees are rare and becoming rarer. A transient swarm of bees will only hang around for a couple days at the most and then move off to some hollow tree or wherever their scout bees have found for a home. Now, if said home is inside of your walls, I can see the problem, but if you have a ball of bees in your tree or something it's better to let them bee.

I've been thinking about starting a hive of my own just for old time's sake but they tend to multiply so you really need to have space for multiple hives unless you just want to kill them off to keep them down.

The problem is that they were a mere 3 or 4 feet from my front door.  And all the little kids in my neighborhood end up in our front yard, we've become kind of the focal point for all the playing that goes on. 
They had to die.
JD

BobR

• Just a pup compared to a few old dogs here!
  • friend
« Reply #17 on: April 07, 2011, 12:01:35 AM »
Well, since you have decided that death to the bees was the move to take, go get some powdered sevin and place in in the hole in your brickwork by using an empty soda bottle. If there are any left they will take it to the hive and kill off the rest of the interlopers.

bob

vaskidmark

• National Anthem Snob
  • friends
  • WTF?
« Reply #18 on: April 07, 2011, 05:43:54 AM »
JUst remember that once you have killed off all the bees you are still going to need to rip open the wall and clean out whatever start of a hive they constructed there.  It ought to be fun dealing with your homeowner's insurance agent on that.  Please keep us up to date on how that goes.

stay safe.
If cowardly and dishonorable men sometimes shoot unarmed men with army pistols or guns, the evil must be prevented by the penitentiary and gallows, and not by a general deprivation of a constitutional privilege.

They keep making this eternal vigilance thing harder and harder.  Protecting the 2nd amendment is like playing PACMAN - there's no pause button so you can go to the bathroom.

Jamisjockey

• friend
« Reply #19 on: April 07, 2011, 08:06:06 AM »
JUst remember that once you have killed off all the bees you are still going to need to rip open the wall and clean out whatever start of a hive they constructed there.  It ought to be fun dealing with your homeowner's insurance agent on that.  Please keep us up to date on how that goes.

stay safe.

Its a rental. 
JD

charby

• Necromancer
  • Administrator
« Reply #20 on: April 07, 2011, 09:54:56 AM »

Do it and become friends with local beekeepers, they will take your swarm when your hive decides to split.

I was painting hive bodies last night to get ready for some new bees next week.

Uranus is a gas giant.

vaskidmark

• National Anthem Snob
  • friends
  • WTF?
« Reply #21 on: April 07, 2011, 10:50:37 AM »
Its a rental. 

You, sir, are close to a hero in my mind.

Please be careful in there - who knows what you might trip over. =D

stay safe.

Balog

• Unrepentant race traitor
  • friends
  • What if we tried more?
« Reply #22 on: April 07, 2011, 10:55:23 AM »
I really need to buy some bees and get started on that.
Quote from: French G.
I was always pleasant, friendly and within arm's reach of a gun.

Quote from: Standing Wolf
If government is the answer, it must have been a really, really, really stupid question.

MechAg94

• friend
« Reply #23 on: April 07, 2011, 11:32:19 AM »
I work down in Freeport, TX.  In the last 4 years, we have had bee swarms come into the plant 3 different times.  We had to spray them twice, but once, they settled into an open ended pipe support up a little high.  We left them alone and they went away after a few weeks. 

One time they built a next in the skirt of a filter vessel.  The opening on the skirt was only a little bigger than the piping coming out of it so you couldn't see anything except a whole bunch of bees going in and out. 

The plant is near the Brazos River and there isn't much on the other side but cattle and farmers.
“It is much more important to kill bad bills than to pass good ones.”  ― Calvin Coolidge

charby

• Necromancer
  • Administrator
« Reply #24 on: April 07, 2011, 01:01:13 PM »
I really need to buy some bees and get started on that.

You may want to buy a hive 1st, then the bees.

Get a free catalog from Dadant and sons. http://www.dadant.com/

« Last Edit: April 07, 2011, 01:06:49 PM by charby »

Uranus is a gas giant.