Author Topic: Teh Joos are at it again - all self-defensey and using science stuff  (Read 5657 times)

vaskidmark

• National Anthem Snob
  • friends
  • WTF?
Or at least that's what I imagine Hamas and their ilk are saying as they weep into their curdled milk beverage.

h/t to Ironhand http://elmtreeforge.blogspot.com/2011/04/oh-hell-yes.html for the lead to the info.

http://closingvelocity.typepad.com/closing_velocity/2011/04/historic-israels-iron-dome-missile-defense-intercepts-gaza-rockets.html

The Iron Dome missile defense system on Thursday successfully intercepted for the first time two rockets that were fired at the Israeli city of Ashkelon from the Gaza Strip.
Iron Dome's success Thursday marks the first time in world history short-range rockets were ever intercepted.
http://doubletapper.blogspot.com/2010/12/testing-trophy-tank-defense-system-with.html

So the Israelis have started deploying a close-in defense system to protect vehicles against RPGs and missiles, and now Iron Dome is in service... Makes you wonder if any of the Slammers have a six-pointed star on their blower, doesn't it?

Color me impressed.

stay safe.
If cowardly and dishonorable men sometimes shoot unarmed men with army pistols or guns, the evil must be prevented by the penitentiary and gallows, and not by a general deprivation of a constitutional privilege.

Hey you kids!! Get off my lawn!!!

They keep making this eternal vigilance thing harder and harder.  Protecting the 2nd amendment is like playing PACMAN - there's no pause button so you can go to the bathroom.

HankB

• friend
Re: Teh Joos are at it again - all self-defensey and using science stuff
« Reply #1 on: April 08, 2011, 09:24:10 AM »
I think a more appropriate response to large numbers of incoming missles is carpet bombing of the launch areas, preferably with napalm. Lots and lots of napalm.
Trump won in 2016. Democrats haven't been so offended since Republicans came along and freed their slaves.
Sometimes I wonder if the world is being run by smart people who are putting us on, or by imbeciles who really mean it. - Mark Twain
Government is a broker in pillage, and every election is a sort of advance auction in stolen goods. - H.L. Mencken
Patriotism is supporting your country all the time, and your government when it deserves it. - Mark Twain

Hutch

• friend
« Reply #2 on: April 08, 2011, 09:29:25 AM »
Yeah, I thought a counter-battery barrage would be the appropriate response, hopefully catching them sumbitches at their work.  I mean that's pretty standard mili-tree doctrine, innit?
"My limited experience does not permit me to appreciate the unquestionable wisdom of your decision"

Seems like every day, I'm forced to add to the list of people who can just kiss my hairy ass.

RaspberrySurprise

• friend
  • Yub yub Commander
« Reply #3 on: April 08, 2011, 10:00:54 AM »
Hamas tends to use mobile launchers and then scurry away from the area, that or they launch from the roofs of schools or hospitals.
Look, tiny text!

French G.

• friend
  • ohhh sparkles!
« Reply #4 on: April 08, 2011, 10:05:08 AM »
Well if it's the world's first short range rocket intercept, which I doubt, big whoop, we've proven we can detect and engage mortar shells with similar.
AKA Navy Joe   

I'm so contrarian that I didn't respond to the thread.

AZRedhawk44

• friends
« Reply #5 on: April 08, 2011, 10:08:32 AM »
Iron Dome

Two ethnicities enter!  One ethnicity leaves!  Two ethnicities enter!  One ethnicity leaves!  Two ethnicities enter!  One ethnicity leaves! 
"But whether the Constitution really be one thing, or another, this much is certain - that it has either authorized such a government as we have had, or has been powerless to prevent it. In either case, it is unfit to exist."
--Lysander Spooner

I reject your authoritah!

RevDisk

• friend
    • RevDisk.net
« Reply #6 on: April 08, 2011, 01:21:40 PM »
Well if it's the world's first short range rocket intercept, which I doubt, big whoop, we've proven we can detect and engage mortar shells with similar.

My old unit was the first to do so.  "no **** it worked?!" were the first words after.
"Rev, your picture is in my King James Bible, where Paul talks about "inventors of evil."  Yes, I know you'll take that as a compliment."  - Fistful, possibly highest compliment I've ever received.

MicroBalrog

• friend
« Reply #7 on: April 08, 2011, 03:01:46 PM »
Yeah, I thought a counter-battery barrage would be the appropriate response, hopefully catching them sumbitches at their work.  I mean that's pretty standard mili-tree doctrine, innit?

*cough*

You see, the Jihadis are dumber than you think.

They tend to use specific fields and areas for their launches. The aiming process often consists of "Uh, Ahmad, I think Israel is that way."

The launch areas are patrolled by IDF aircraft, and launch crews often die a swift death to helicopter-launched ATGMs.
Destroy The Enemy in Hand-to-Hand Combat.

"...tradition and custom becomes intertwined and are a strong coercion which directs the society upon fixed lines, and strangles liberty. " ~ William Graham Sumner

RevDisk

• friend
    • RevDisk.net
« Reply #8 on: April 08, 2011, 03:59:24 PM »
*cough*

You see, the Jihadis are dumber than you think.

They tend to use specific fields and areas for their launches. The aiming process often consists of "Uh, Ahmad, I think Israel is that way."

The launch areas are patrolled by IDF aircraft, and launch crews often die a swift death to helicopter-launched ATGMs.

Gods damn it, MB.  Stop interjecting your "facts" and "first hand experiences" into this discussion!   Preconceptions and ideology are more valid than either of those!

=D

Next you'll be spouting off that they have difficulty even HITTING your country at times.  (ie me subtly prompting you to tell everyone about the uh "sea borne bombing run" they tried)
"Rev, your picture is in my King James Bible, where Paul talks about "inventors of evil."  Yes, I know you'll take that as a compliment."  - Fistful, possibly highest compliment I've ever received.

birdman

• friend
« Reply #9 on: April 08, 2011, 05:21:47 PM »

AFAIK, its not.  A variety of systems have knocked down short range shells, bombs (the correct term for a mortar projectile btw ;) ), and rockets including:
Centurion (phalanx ciws on ground instead of a ship) vs. a variety of targets
THEL experiment (and other directed energy systems) vs. short range artillery rockets
Hell, the brits have shot down a 4.5" shell with a seawolf missile before

Anyway, conventional CIWS and RAM (and the british/canadian goalkeeper) are all designed to hit ASCM's, which are not only non-ballistic, but travelling much faster than short range rockets and shells.

However, this may be the "first" if you narrow it to a guided missile intercept of a short range (<50km ) battlefield artillery rocket in an operational condition (not a test)

birdman

• friend
« Reply #10 on: April 08, 2011, 05:23:26 PM »
My old unit was the first to do so.  "no **** it worked?!" were the first words after.

What unit? (I've been doing BMD work forever)

gunsmith

• I forgot to get vaccinated!
  • friend
  • I'm sorry, Dave. I'm afraid I can't do that.
« Reply #11 on: April 08, 2011, 06:14:47 PM »
IRON DOME!

great name for a heavy metal band
Politicians and bureaucrats are considered productive if they swarm the populace like a plague of locust, devouring all substance in their path and leaving a swath of destruction like a firestorm. The technical term is "bipartisanship".
Rocket Man: "The need for booster shots for the immunized has always been based on the science.  Political science, not medical science."

230RN

• saw it coming.
  • friend
  • ...shall not be allowed.
« Reply #12 on: April 08, 2011, 08:06:20 PM »
<whisper> Great name for a politician.</whisper>
WHATEVER YOUR DEFINITION OF "INFRINGE " IS, YOU SHOULDN'T BE DOING IT.

Lee

• friend
« Reply #13 on: April 08, 2011, 08:14:38 PM »
Just wish we weren't paying for it. 

http://www.ynetnews.com/articles/0,7340,L-4011356,00.html

Scout26

• I'm a leaf on the wind.
  • friend
  • I spent a week in that town one night....
« Reply #14 on: April 08, 2011, 09:11:55 PM »
IRON DOME!

great name for a heavy metal band

It was what we called Mr. Hannipel our 4th grade teacher.
Some days even my lucky rocketship underpants won't help.

Bring me my Broadsword and a clear understanding.
Get up to the roundhouse on the cliff-top standing.
Take women and children and bed them down.
Bless with a hard heart those that stand with me.
Bless the women and children who firm our hands.
Put our backs to the north wind.
Hold fast by the river.
Sweet memories to drive us on,
for the motherland.

RevDisk

• friend
    • RevDisk.net
« Reply #15 on: April 08, 2011, 09:34:11 PM »
Just wish we weren't paying for it. 

http://www.ynetnews.com/articles/0,7340,L-4011356,00.html

I'd mind it a bit less if Israel wasn't a semi-hostile country to us.  They have killed US servicemen and citizens, engaged in espionage and their intel folks don't exactly play nice.  Honestly, I'd wonder if any of Israel's neighbors have done as much against the US as Israel has. 

Note, I'm not hostile to Israel as a country.  Not whatsoever, I like and respect Israelis as a people.  Just it's government.  Their government are not nice people.  We are their ally, they are not our's.  Which would be fine, if we were not giving them our cash and intentionally overlooking their hostile activity against us.

Lee

• friend
« Reply #16 on: April 08, 2011, 09:57:58 PM »
I'm not anti- Israeli either...but it ain't Kansas...and it has has supporters across the globe who could easily finance it's activities.  I'm not sure why American taxpayers should...seeing that we can't afford to repair our own damn roads, bridges and such.  I'm tired of sending money around the world and then listening to folks here complain about US welfare moms and such.

Old news...and a not so strange connection between states.  As they say in Skokie...Da Beers. 

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/South_Africa_and_weapons_of_mass_destruction

birdman

• friend
« Reply #17 on: April 08, 2011, 10:32:07 PM »
I'm not anti- Israeli either...but it ain't Kansas...and it has has supporters across the globe who could easily finance it's activities.  I'm not sure why American taxpayers should...seeing that we can't afford to repair our own damn roads, bridges and such.  I'm tired of sending money around the world and then listening to folks here complain about US welfare moms and such.

Old news...and a not so strange connection between states.  As they say in Skokie...Da Beers. 

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/South_Africa_and_weapons_of_mass_destruction

I actually got to meet quite a few of the guys that were in RSA's program (and tour their equivalent of Los alamos). Over beers and some tasty national animal treats (springbok is tasty) I asked why they had a weapons program.  Their response (bear in mind, this was during the international embargo because of apartheid, and they were in a protracted border war with zimbabwae) (best if read in lethal weapon 2 bad guy voice)
"well, if we were losing, we'd call the US and say we were gonna nuke zimbabwae if you didn't help"
My response:
Son of a bitch, that would probably work.

Interesting fun fact:
When lethal weapon 2 was released in RSA, it was re-dubbed, and the bad guys were nazi's (ironic?) with German accents... Which explains why my constant asking for them to say "diplomatic immunity" was always met with confused looks.

Lee

• friend
« Reply #18 on: April 08, 2011, 10:47:24 PM »
"well, if we were losing, we'd call the US and say we were gonna nuke zimbabwae if you didn't help"

Hmmm... sounds familiar.