Author Topic: Hello APS, new member intro  (Read 10844 times)

birdman

• friend
Re: Hello APS, new member intro
« Reply #25 on: April 08, 2011, 04:50:57 PM »
What is your favorite cult classic?

No favorite per se, but a nice list (off the top of my head, and in all categories, and not classics...I need to dig up my dvd library to remember all of those)
Donnie Darko (before it got popular)
Equillibrium (how was this NOT popular?!)
Boondock Saints (10 years in boston, got to love it)
War Inc.
Grosse Pointe Blank...does that count as cult classic?
Screamers (back to scifi...who doesn't like homicidal self-replicating robots?...can that be a genre onto itself?)
I'm sure there are many more I have and am forgetting, but this was just a quick scan through my open movie directory

grampster

• friend
« Reply #26 on: April 08, 2011, 05:26:54 PM »
The rest of the cretins on this board will settle for any cheap stuff.  one bottle of the following: Pyrat, Red Breast, and Glenlivet.
"Never wrestle with a pig.  You get dirty, and besides, the pig likes it."  G.B. Shaw

AJ Dual

• friends
  • Shoe Ballistics Inc.
« Reply #27 on: April 08, 2011, 05:27:26 PM »
I'd love to hear what Gen IV designs you're working on. And I suspect a few others would too (Not today though, unless you consider that different than talking about work/Japan etc..) Pretty much everyone here agrees with you about deaths per energy-unit. Coal putting out more radiation through it's smokestacks than all commercial power accidents combined etc.

VHTR? Pebble bed?  SCWR?  LFR? MSR? GFR?

Etc.

Again, not now, not today, just "sometime".

Cause, if we can get over the NIMBY's and politics of it all, damn if we won't need them, badly.
I promise not to duck.

birdman

• friend
« Reply #28 on: April 08, 2011, 05:34:24 PM »
I'd love to hear what Gen IV designs you're working on. And I suspect a few others would too (Not today though, unless you consider that different than talking about work/Japan etc..) Pretty much everyone here agrees with you about deaths per energy-unit. Coal putting out more radiation through it's smokestacks than all commercial power accidents combined etc.

VHTR? Pebble bed?  SCWR?  LFR? MSR? GFR?

Etc.

Again, not now, not today, just "sometime".

Cause, if we can get over the NIMBY's and politics of it all, damn if we won't need them, badly.

Funny you mention pebble bed...I've worked on all types, but I concentrate mainly on the VHTR and PB...check your PM's ;)

lee n. field

• friend
  • tinpot megalomaniac, Paulbot, hardware goon
« Reply #29 on: April 08, 2011, 06:44:04 PM »
Quote from: birdman
Hello all, this site was recommended by a close friend so here goes my introduction post (flame away, if you so desire)

<12 step meeting>Hello Birdman</12 step meeting>

Politically, I am libertarian

"Nuanced" out the wazoo, with libertarian/ancap sympathies.  Explaining my politics would take a while, and involve an exposition of Vos' two age model.  So, never mind.

and enjoy a variety of shooting activties (everything from short range pistol work to LONG range with my 338LM), reloading, and reading.

Mostly handgun.  Mostly 9mm, anymore, 'cause it's cheaper.
« Last Edit: April 08, 2011, 07:56:30 PM by lee n. field »
In thy presence is fulness of joy.
At thy right hand pleasures for evermore.

230RN

• saw it coming.
  • friend
  • ...shall not be allowed.
« Reply #30 on: April 08, 2011, 07:46:53 PM »
fistful changed his name in hopes that nobody could track him down.

He is now "the artist formerly known as fistful."

Akin to "the bank robber formerly known as Dillinger."

Go figure.  But if you have any goats to be scaped, he's the one to scape them onto.

Welcome Aboard!

(Club soda and 135gr .38SPL +Ps for me.)

Terry, thread-veerer extraordinaire, 230RN
WHATEVER YOUR DEFINITION OF "INFRINGE " IS, YOU SHOULDN'T BE DOING IT.

Lee

• friend
« Reply #31 on: April 08, 2011, 07:53:24 PM »
Welcome.  I'm curious why you think you might be flamed here...or any other gun board for that matter. 

grislyatoms

• friends
« Reply #32 on: April 08, 2011, 08:44:38 PM »
1 - You have not identified the alien overlord(s) you have sworn fealty to. Minus 2 points.
2 - You are not an attorney.  Plus 3 points.
3 - You are willing to provide beer and ammo.  Plus 1 point.  (A nice bock, and .45AR, if you please.)
4 - You said "it could never happen."  Minus 5 points.
5 - You both race and collect gas-guzzling destroyers of Mother Gia.  Plus 2 points.
6 - You think you landed on the right board.  Minus 1 point for brash optimism and minus 1 point for foolhardiness.
7 - You withheld the identity of the person who led you to this den of iniquity.  Plus 2 points.
8 - You did not indicate if you duct-tape ceramic plates to your back when firing 388LM.  Plus 2 points.
9 - Two posts on the same thread and you have not veered off topic.  Minus 1 point.
10 - You have not run screaming from the board with imprecations of revenge.  No points.

OK.  You seem to be about right for this group of happy wanderers.

Now - for the finial initiation ritual.  Do you apply sauce to yout BBQ before, during, or only after cooking?

stay safe.

Oughta be pinned somewhere... =D

"1 - You have not identified the alien overlord(s) you have sworn fealty to. Minus 2 points.  +2, I AM the alien overlord (I only came here because we are at war with Pelosi's planet...I mean seriously, I'm waiting for her to peel the mask off like the original V aliens)"
And this...masterful.  :lol:

A hearty "Welcome"!
"A son of the sea, am I" Gordon Lightfoot

birdman

• friend
« Reply #33 on: April 08, 2011, 08:47:56 PM »
Welcome.  I'm curious why you think you might be flamed here...or any other gun board for that matter. 

It was a joke...I mean, what if I mistyped the url and ended up posting THAT "hello world" post on www.redistributivetaxesandnogunsforanyone.com? I bet I would be flamed like no tomorrow! (well, before the "new civility" started of course ;) )

Perd Hapley

• Superstar of the Internet
  • friend
  • My prepositions are on/in
« Reply #34 on: April 08, 2011, 08:50:52 PM »
3: Fistful ...of dollars?  confused.

Precisely. The mods changed my name on April 1st. [Shrug]

NOW, The Real Question. Are you now, or have you ever been, a witch  a member of the Communist Party  in doubt as to the circumstances of Obama's birth?
"Doggies are angel babies!" -- my wife

birdman

• friend
« Reply #35 on: April 08, 2011, 08:54:29 PM »
Precisely. The mods changed my name on April 1st. [Shrug]

NOW, The Real Question. Are you now, or have you ever been, a witch a member of the Communist Party in doubt as to the circumstances of Obama's birth?

No.  He was born on our planet, but in true douglas adams' style, he was a passenger on the "B" ark we sent to colonize this planet (points if anyone gets the reference).  Now, the fact he won't release his college transcripts does bother me.  I mean, I needed to show mine when I first got a job out of school, it seems, well, you know, relevant to ones intellectual capability.

Perd Hapley

• Superstar of the Internet
  • friend
  • My prepositions are on/in
« Reply #36 on: April 08, 2011, 08:58:21 PM »
No.  He was born on our planet, but in true douglas adams' style, he was a passenger on the "B" ark we sent to colonize this planet (points if anyone gets the reference). 

This is incorrect. He was born in a stable, wrapped in swaddling bands, and laid in a manger. Amen.
"Doggies are angel babies!" -- my wife

Scout26

• I'm a leaf on the wind.
  • friend
  • I spent a week in that town one night....
« Reply #37 on: April 08, 2011, 09:10:11 PM »

(Club soda and 135gr .38SPL +Ps for me.)

Terry, thread-veerer extraordinaire, 230RN

I'm curious as to why someone who's handle is shorthand for 230 grain Round Nose (AKA Hardball .45 ACP slug) is asking for 135gr .38 Special ammo ?
Some days even my lucky rocketship underpants won't help.

Bring me my Broadsword and a clear understanding.
Get up to the roundhouse on the cliff-top standing.
Take women and children and bed them down.
Bless with a hard heart those that stand with me.
Bless the women and children who firm our hands.
Put our backs to the north wind.
Hold fast by the river.
Sweet memories to drive us on,
for the motherland.

grislyatoms

• friends
« Reply #38 on: April 08, 2011, 09:25:21 PM »
Oh...and the multitude of Brady Bunch avatars?

I'll refer you to... uhh...someone not me.

=D
"A son of the sea, am I" Gordon Lightfoot

RevDisk

• friend
    • RevDisk.net
« Reply #39 on: April 08, 2011, 09:44:01 PM »

Welcome to APS.  It's an interesting group.  You'll find plenty of other libertarians, engineers, nuke types, and weird combination herein.  You'll undoubtedly get pestered about nuke type stuff or whatnot, but that's par for the course.  There's a wide variety of folks here, and feel free to pester them as well. 

I'm a former defense contractor guy myself, mostly aerospace and communications.  Tho, I'm debating accepting an IT gig at the place that insures those reactors you're consulting on.  Probably going turn it down, commute would be too long
"Rev, your picture is in my King James Bible, where Paul talks about "inventors of evil."  Yes, I know you'll take that as a compliment."  - Fistful, possibly highest compliment I've ever received.

AJ Dual

• friends
  • Shoe Ballistics Inc.
« Reply #40 on: April 08, 2011, 09:45:18 PM »
No.  He was born on our planet, but in true douglas adams' style, he was a passenger on the "B" ark we sent to colonize this planet (points if anyone gets the reference).  Now, the fact he won't release his college transcripts does bother me.  I mean, I needed to show mine when I first got a job out of school, it seems, well, you know, relevant to ones intellectual capability.

Reference? I've never heard about "The Hitchiker's Guide to the Galaxy". So how am I supposed to get the reference to the Golgafrinchan "B Ark" full of hairdressers and phone sanitizers? And hence get any points?
I promise not to duck.

bedlamite

• Hold my beer and watch this!
  • friend
  • Ack! PLBTTPHBT!
« Reply #41 on: April 08, 2011, 10:01:31 PM »
Reference? I've never heard about "The Hitchiker's Guide to the Galaxy". So how am I supposed to get the reference to the Golgafrinchan "B Ark" full of hairdressers and phone sanitizers? And hence get any points?

It's a trick. Get an Axe!
A plan is just a list of things that doesn't happen.
Is defenestration possible through the overton window?

birdman

• friend
« Reply #42 on: April 08, 2011, 10:25:44 PM »
It's a trick. Get an Axe!

Throw him in the pit!

Oh, add to the cult classics: evil dead, evil dead II, and army of darkness

But, best horror movie line ever (points if you name the movie)
"that nice man needed our help, and we set him on fire!

bedlamite

• Hold my beer and watch this!
  • friend
  • Ack! PLBTTPHBT!
« Reply #43 on: April 08, 2011, 11:05:30 PM »
You'll understand if I'm not in a particularly social mood.
A plan is just a list of things that doesn't happen.
Is defenestration possible through the overton window?

birdman

• friend
« Reply #44 on: April 08, 2011, 11:08:54 PM »
You'll understand if I'm not in a particularly social mood.
Winner!  And even the attempt to lead you astray with an exclamation point failed.  Point to you sir, point indeed.

Jim147

• friends
« Reply #45 on: April 09, 2011, 01:11:29 AM »
Welcome aboard.

I'll take a bottle of Mist and some batlepacks of 7.62x51.

I'm in the weird combination group.

jim
Sometimes we carry more weight then we owe.
And sometimes goes on and on and on.

BAH-WEEP-GRAAAGHNAH WHEEP NI-NI BONG

Jocassee

• Buster Scruggs Respecter
  • friends
  • "First time?"
« Reply #46 on: April 09, 2011, 01:37:00 AM »
Welcome to the party, pal. I'll have a keg of Verner's and a couple boxes of 7.62 Tok.
I shall not die alone, alone, but kin to all the powers,
As merry as the ancient sun and fighting like the flowers.

AmbulanceDriver

• Junior Rocketeer
  • friends
« Reply #47 on: April 09, 2011, 01:38:14 AM »
Welcome to our little corner of the intertubes....  You'll find we're Mostly Harmless....  Except, as mentioned before, fistful.  It's all his fault, and there's nothing anyone can do about it.  

It's a nice place to kick back, sip an adult beverage of your choice, and ponder navel lint.  Or the meaning of life, the universe, and everything.  Even Vogon poetry...  Well.  No.  That last bit will get you shot.  Never mind that...

Sorry, I've been sipping an adult beverage of my choice, and therefore the internal censors are a little skewed.  How dare I mention Vogon poetry.

Klaatu...  Veratu.... *coughing fit*

There.  That oughta do it...

And now, I'm gonna go ponder universal navel lint.

P.S.   Red Stag, and .30-06, if you will, please....  168gr AP, given my druthers.   :P

P.P.S.  I'd ponder Vogon navel lint, but that's just disgusting.

P.P.P.S.  If you will, fire at will....   Even though poor Will really has done nothing to deserve it....  (I warned you that I'd been sipping an adult beverage of my choice...)
« Last Edit: April 09, 2011, 01:41:54 AM by AmbulanceDriver »
Are you a cook, or a RIFLEMAN?  Find out at Appleseed!

http://www.appleseedinfo.org

"For some many people, attempting to process a logical line of thought brings up the blue screen of death." -Blakenzy

Boomhauer

• Former Moderator, fired for embezzlement and abuse of power
  • friends
« Reply #48 on: April 09, 2011, 01:41:08 AM »
Welcome to APS.  It's an interesting group.  You'll find plenty of other libertarians, engineers, nuke types, and weird combination herein.  You'll undoubtedly get pestered about nuke type stuff or whatnot, but that's par for the course.  There's a wide variety of folks here, and feel free to pester them as well. 

And rednecks (raises hand). Now, if you'll excuse me, I've got to go tweaker hunting...

Oh, and I'm going to need some 5.56 and some 'shine (better be good stuff). And plenty of both.

Quote from: Ben
Holy hell. It's like giving a loaded gun to a chimpanzee...

Quote from: bluestarlizzard
the last thing you need is rabies. You're already angry enough as it is.

OTOH, there wouldn't be a tweeker left in Georgia...

Quote from: Balog
BLOOD FOR THE BLOOD GOD! SKULLS FOR THE SKULL THRONE! AND THROW SOME STEAK ON THE GRILL!

BridgeRunner

• friend
« Reply #49 on: April 09, 2011, 01:54:28 AM »
Cuervo! Moar Cuervo!

Sad story, I am without functional firearms at the moment. I'll just have some extra Cuervo, thanks!

And remember, if you don't see the fistful, it can't eat you.  Or the goat you rode in on.