Author Topic: My wife orders mulch  (Read 8808 times)

Monkeyleg

• friend
  • Tattaglia is a pimp.
    • http://www.gunshopfinder.com
Re: My wife orders mulch
« Reply #25 on: April 09, 2011, 07:22:20 PM »
I can always put it on Craigslist, too. I'll still be getting calls about it in 2012.

CNYCacher

• friend
« Reply #26 on: April 09, 2011, 09:22:10 PM »
When we put in the playground in our back yard, I ordered 16 yards of playground mulch delivered and had the truck drop it in the center of the play area, which is a quarter-circle of radius 32 feet in the corner of our property.  It took us the better part of 2 days just to spread it out to fill the area it was sitting in the center of.  We didn't even really have to take it anywhere, just spread it out!

There are at LEAST 100 large-sized wheelbarrow loads in that pile.  Your wife is going to be busy!
On two occasions, I have been asked [by members of Parliament], "Pray, Mr. Babbage, if you put into the machine wrong figures, will the right answers come out?" I am not able to rightly apprehend the kind of confusion of ideas that could provoke such a question.
Charles Babbage

Jocassee

• Buster Scruggs Respecter
  • friends
  • "First time?"
« Reply #27 on: April 09, 2011, 11:41:24 PM »

That's not that bad...about a good days work for two guys. Maybe one guy, depending on how strong and how far he has to send it.
I shall not die alone, alone, but kin to all the powers,
As merry as the ancient sun and fighting like the flowers.

Monkeyleg

• friend
  • Tattaglia is a pimp.
« Reply #28 on: April 09, 2011, 11:48:26 PM »
That's not that bad...about a good days work for two guys. Maybe one guy, depending on how strong and how far he has to send it.

I hauled 15 yards of topsoil in my Ford Ranger, then shoveled it into a wheelbarrow, then threw it around my front yard to grade it.  I also hauled 1100 pounds of white marble chips for the shrub bed, and dug an 8' wide swail between my house and the neighbor's. Did that all over the course of a few weekends. I was 41 at the time, though.

My wife moved about five cubic feet of the mulch today, and she's going to ask some older neighbor kids if they want to make some money. ;)

Lee

• friend
« Reply #29 on: April 09, 2011, 11:50:58 PM »
[quoteI have no idea where this stuff is going or how it's getting there. All I know is that I'm not touching it. ][/quote]

Yeah...I know how that usually works out for me.  

Why don't you invite the weirdo's from the gym over for a workout?   >:D

RoadKingLarry

• friends
« Reply #30 on: April 10, 2011, 12:12:23 AM »
Good excuse to get yourself one of these.
If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or your arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that you were our countrymen.

Samuel Adams

Boomhauer

• Former Moderator, fired for embezzlement and abuse of power
  • friends
« Reply #31 on: April 10, 2011, 12:24:49 AM »
What, you don't have any chumps friends with tractors?
Quote from: Ben
Holy hell. It's like giving a loaded gun to a chimpanzee...

Quote from: bluestarlizzard
the last thing you need is rabies. You're already angry enough as it is.

OTOH, there wouldn't be a tweeker left in Georgia...

Quote from: Balog
BLOOD FOR THE BLOOD GOD! SKULLS FOR THE SKULL THRONE! AND THROW SOME STEAK ON THE GRILL!

Monkeyleg

• friend
  • Tattaglia is a pimp.
« Reply #32 on: April 10, 2011, 12:47:06 AM »
I have enough ruts in the lawn already from the gazebo builder moving that thing into place. I don't need more from tractors moving mulch.

She's already talking about going door to door to tell neighbors to take some. ;) Oh, and she also found out that black mulch has a dye that doesn't wash off hands very easily.

Why don't you invite the weirdo's from the gym over for a workout?

I don't think salt water (sweat) is good for grass.

roo_ster

• Kakistocracy--It's What's For Dinner.
  • friend
  • Hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats
« Reply #33 on: April 10, 2011, 12:57:37 AM »
I don't think salt water (sweat) is good for grass.

Wise choice.

Yeah, do you really want to hear a grown man hollering all the way to the back yard while moving a heavy wheel barrow?
Regards,

roo_ster

“Fallacies do not cease to be fallacies because they become fashions.”
----G.K. Chesterton

Harold Tuttle

• Professor Chromedome
  • friend
« Reply #34 on: April 10, 2011, 11:05:11 AM »
In Monkeycounty MD they have free mulch at the recycling center.

It's kinda fresh, steams off alcohol vapors, makes a lot of heat and can kill plants.
When it contains ground poison ivy it was an added bonus.
"The true mad scientist does not make public appearances! He does not wear the "Hello, my name is.." badge!
He strikes from below like a viper or on high like a penny dropped from the tallest building around!
He only has one purpose--Do bad things to good people! Mit science! What good is science if no one gets hurt?!"

Monkeyleg

• friend
  • Tattaglia is a pimp.
« Reply #35 on: April 10, 2011, 11:26:23 AM »
In Monkeycounty MD they have free mulch at the recycling center.

It's kinda fresh, steams off alcohol vapors, makes a lot of heat and can kill plants.
When it contains ground poison ivy it was an added bonus.

Does the county government hate its citizens?

never_retreat

• Head Muckety Muck
  • friend
« Reply #36 on: April 10, 2011, 12:49:03 PM »
A) That's illegal.
B) No wonder we have an illegal alien problem.

I have nothing against hiring someone for the day and paying them, regardless of there nationality. Its the big companies that hire illegals and make a fortune in the process are the big problem.
It's no different than paying a neighborhood kid to mow your lawn (if they still do that).
Letting the kids at the school wash you car, Its a fund-raiser to them but they are not kicking anything into SS or taxes.
I pay a high school aged kid to come and take my dog for a walk in the afternoon on the days I work late. Does that mean I'm hiring someone illegally?
Its really just bartering if you think about it.
I needed a mod to change my signature because the concept of "family friendly" eludes me.
Just noticed that a mod changed my signature. How long ago was that?
A few months-mods

Fly320s

• friend
  • Formerly, Arthur, King of the Britons
« Reply #37 on: April 10, 2011, 01:05:35 PM »
I have nothing against hiring someone for the day and paying them, regardless of there nationality. Its the big companies that hire illegals and make a fortune in the process are the big problem.
It's no different than paying a neighborhood kid to mow your lawn (if they still do that).
Letting the kids at the school wash you car, Its a fund-raiser to them but they are not kicking anything into SS or taxes.
I pay a high school aged kid to come and take my dog for a walk in the afternoon on the days I work late. Does that mean I'm hiring someone illegally?
Its really just bartering if you think about it.
I think he meant that hiring illegal immigrants is illegal. Or maybe that hiring illegal immigrants only encourages more people to enter this country illegally.  And if you've ever complained about illegal aliens then that makes you a hypocrit.
Islamic sex dolls.  Do they blow themselves up?

never_retreat

• Head Muckety Muck
  • friend
« Reply #38 on: April 10, 2011, 01:31:57 PM »
I think he meant that hiring illegal immigrants is illegal. Or maybe that hiring illegal immigrants only encourages more people to enter this country illegally.  And if you've ever complained about illegal aliens then that makes you a hypocrit.
Now I can agree that. My biggest gripe is that fact that they don't put into the system. And I hate to say this but it is our fault (the country).
If we make no attempt at keeping them out then we need to start giving them something like a SS number so they start putting into the system. Lets face it as much as some people would like to get rid of them all, its not going to happen.
We need to start making it legal for them to work and contribute, and get rid of the ones with criminal records and other problems. Oh ya and mine the border to stem the flow.
Thats a plan that could work unlike any ideas that the guberment comes up with.

And were not the only country that has cheap labor need. When I was in Spain I was talking with our guide about the issue after noticing there farm labor was not from Spain. There "day labor" is mostly Moroccan. So anywhere there is a need someone will fill it.
If you go to China (your thinking where do you get cheaper then China) its the Mongolians that fill the need there.
I needed a mod to change my signature because the concept of "family friendly" eludes me.
A few months-mods

charby

• Necromancer
  • Administrator
  • APS's Resident Sikh/Muslim
« Reply #39 on: April 10, 2011, 01:57:07 PM »

City of Ames, IA where I live has a free mulch pile. I drove by it last night on the way to dinner and it is probably 150 cu yards or more there.
Iowa- 88% more livable that the rest of the US

Uranus is a gas giant.

Team 444: Member# 536

Monkeyleg

• friend
  • Tattaglia is a pimp.
« Reply #40 on: April 10, 2011, 02:07:06 PM »
Well, we found a young guy to move the mulch around the yard. It will probably cost a hundred or two.

That's not as bad as the dye, though, which I've learned will leave a big black stain on the driveway. Don't know what it's going to cost to get rid of that.

As far as my wife's screw-ups go, this one ranks pretty well. Not as bad as the $2000 refrigerator she bought that the delivery guys couldn't fit into our house, but it's getting there.

never_retreat

• Head Muckety Muck
  • friend
« Reply #41 on: April 10, 2011, 02:10:08 PM »
Well, we found a young guy to move the mulch around the yard. It will probably cost a hundred or two.

That's not as bad as the dye, though, which I've learned will leave a big black stain on the driveway. Don't know what it's going to cost to get rid of that.

As far as my wife's screw-ups go, this one ranks pretty well. Not as bad as the $2000 refrigerator she bought that the delivery guys couldn't fit into our house, but it's getting there.
Go to the hardware store and get some TSP. That should work. If not you might have to use Muriatic acid.
A few months-mods

Fly320s

• friend
  • Formerly, Arthur, King of the Britons
« Reply #42 on: April 10, 2011, 03:53:20 PM »
I never understood why people request dyed mulch.  I've seen several colors, including black, that had to have been dyed.  It just seems kind of silly to me, especially for those people whoe are trying to be organic.
Islamic sex dolls.  Do they blow themselves up?

charby

• Necromancer
  • Administrator
  • APS's Resident Sikh/Muslim
« Reply #43 on: April 10, 2011, 05:34:44 PM »
I picked up 20 gallons of mulch today, got greeted by a rather pissed off mother goose who decided to build a nest on top of the free mulch pile.

Iowa- 88% more livable that the rest of the US

Uranus is a gas giant.

Team 444: Member# 536

never_retreat

• Head Muckety Muck
  • friend
« Reply #44 on: April 10, 2011, 06:10:36 PM »
I never understood why people request dyed mulch.  I've seen several colors, including black, that had to have been dyed.  It just seems kind of silly to me, especially for those people whoe are trying to be organic.
I believe the dyes are organic and non toxic. I think the black is carbon based.
A few months-mods

cassandra and sara's daddy

• friends
« Reply #45 on: April 10, 2011, 07:14:12 PM »
Now I can agree that. My biggest gripe is that fact that they don't put into the system. And I hate to say this but it is our fault (the country).
If we make no attempt at keeping them out then we need to start giving them something like a SS number so they start putting into the system. Lets face it as much as some people would like to get rid of them all, its not going to happen.
We need to start making it legal for them to work and contribute, and get rid of the ones with criminal records and other problems. Oh ya and mine the border to stem the flow.
Thats a plan that could work unlike any ideas that the guberment comes up with.

we do
http://www.usatoday.com/money/perfi/taxes/2008-04-10-immigrantstaxes_N.htm

One rough estimate puts the amount of Social Security taxes alone at around $9 billion per year.

Paycheck withholding collects much of the federal tax from illegal workers, just as it does for legal workers.

The Internal Revenue Service doesn't track a worker's immigration status, yet many illegal immigrants fearful of deportation won't risk the government attention that will come from filing a return even if they might qualify for a refund. Economist William Ford of Middle Tennessee State University says there are no firm figures on how many such taxpayers there are.

"The real question is how many of them pay more than they owe. There are undoubtedly hundreds of thousands of people in that situation," Ford said.

But some illegal immigrants choose to file taxes and write a check come April 15, using an alternative to the Social Security number offered by the IRS so it can collect income tax from foreign workers.

"It's a mistake to think that no illegal immigrants pay taxes. They definitely do," said Martha Pantoja, who has been helping Hispanic immigrants this tax season as an IRS-certified volunteer tax preparer for the non-profit Nashville Wealth Building Coalition.

Among those she has assisted is Eric Jimenez, a self-employed handyman who has worked in Nashville for several years. He feels obliged to pay taxes — even though, as Pantoja said, "nothing would happen" to him if he did not.

"I have an idea, a mentality, that to be a good citizen you have to pay taxes," he said. "Also, I'm conscious of the fact that the money we pay in taxes supports the schools and all the public services."

Pantoja said she has helped a number of construction workers who, because they are classified as independent contractors by their employers and have no taxes withheld, owe big tax bills come April. Beyond income tax, they have to pay the full Social Security and Medicare taxes due.

The Social Security Administration estimates that about three-quarters of illegal workers pay taxes that contribute to the overall solvency of Social Security and Medicare.
It is much more powerful to seek Truth for one's self.  Seeing and hearing that others seem to have found it can be a motivation.  With me, I was drawn because of much error and bad judgment on my part. Confronting one's own errors and bad judgment is a very life altering situation.  Confronting the errors and bad judgment of others is usually hypocrisy.

by someone older and wiser than I

MillCreek

• Skippy The Wonder Dog
  • friend
  • APS Risk Manager
« Reply #46 on: April 10, 2011, 08:19:02 PM »
Would the dye come off the driveway with a pressure washer?

Quote from: Angel Eyes on August 09, 2018, 01:56:15 AM
You are one lousy risk manager.

AJ Dual

• friends
  • Shoe Ballistics Inc.
« Reply #47 on: April 10, 2011, 09:18:54 PM »
Would the dye come off the driveway with a pressure washer?

Probably.

Downside is you now have an even cleaner spot that was about as obvious as the stain in the first place.
I promise not to duck.

mtnbkr

• friend
« Reply #48 on: April 11, 2011, 07:53:58 AM »

It's Maryland, of course the govt hates its citizens.

Chris

Pharmacology

• friends
« Reply #49 on: April 11, 2011, 03:23:03 PM »
A) That's illegal.

is it?  where?
LOL, how exactly does one document the yard-person's immigration status to stay legal?

I'm not sure my parents checked Mr. willoughby's immigration status before they hired him to do our yardwork